Artificial Sweeteners?

Options
I like sugar in my coffee. I can barely stomach it plain. But it adds more calories than I'd like to see. I'm looking into artificial sweeteners and I'm finding very conflicting information about its benefits/harmful effects.
I'm not looking for scientific data - but, rather personal experience stories.
Have artificial sweeteners helped you, or hurt you?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want scientific data, but this thread has both and explains why you don't need to worry about aspartame from a health point of view. Just be warned it's 44 pages long.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Personally, I don't drink a lot of diet drinks as I don't like the aftertaste I get. I've long ago learned to drink coffee black, no sweetener, so that's not been an issue for me for 30+ years. But I'll have a Coke Zero as mix with Crown, Diet tonic with Gin and my protein powder uses Stevia (which, once I got used to doesn't have an aftertaste for me).
    I drink more sparkling water than anything. I have a Sodastream machine for that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Love them! I used to take my coffee with cream and sugar x 2 but now I've weaned myself to milk and Splenda. I rarely drink pop unless I'm out but if I do I would definitely rather a Coke Zero or a Fresca with whatever they use as a sweetener.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think that artificial sweetners make me hungry... and they don't tast good. I've learned to love coffee and tea without sweetness - though used to like them with two or three spoons of sugar. It took a while but was worth it.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners have always made me feel bloated and crappy...

Can I ask you a question (one that even excludes most potential variables)? In what foods/drinks did you take them?

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it broccoli and onions do that to me too!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners, but only because for the majority of them, I can tell they aren't real sugar and taste different to me. Instead, I slowly dropped the amount of sugar I was adding to my tea/coffee and now it doesn't hurt at all to add my 1 sugar sachet into my black tea/coffee.

You won't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners until you try them.

For example, I don't like diet coke but pepsi max is great, both 0 calories with artificial sweeteners. I don't like the taste of one, love the taste of the other.