April 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    +5 today for 10/75km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    @angmarie28 Sounds like you have good reason to have some anxiety running outside. There are lots of good fuels, and there is a variety of experience here.

I do GU, Gatorade and sport beans. There's also electrolyte water that's great for shorter hot runs, and coconut water. My longest run is the half.

I've heard others use dried fruit, chocolate milk, jelly beans, cookies, honey stingers, gummy worms... heck back before there were any pre run sports eats/drink a, good ol flat coca cola was the choice. I think the trick is to find what you like and what works. I like red bull and Gatorade for longer runs. BCAA's are also a great option in my book.

I keep some protein to eat asap after a hard run, or really any run... Protein shakes, ohhh and my favorite Picky Bars! Sometimes buffalo chicken wings even!
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2017
    exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @angmarie28 Congrats on signing up for a marathon! As for fueling, have you thought about trying to run while a little fasted? The idea is to train your body to use the more abundant fat for fuel, rather than relying on the limited (by comparison) carb resources. I generally run first thing in the morning, and have nothing to eat before going out (so we're talking at least 8 hours or so without food) and do just fine; I carry some gels just in case, but so far I've been able to run 19 miles straight without needing them. Just my two pennies. :smile:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    April Running Challenge

4/1 Eagle Mt cleanup: picked up trash with the family for 2 hours, filled 6 trash bags between the 3 of us.
    4/2 13.1 mile run.
    4/3 Strength, stationary bike, yoga

Goal: 13.1 of 150

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered): 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

XTERRA ATX Trail Run (21K) Apr 23 (Tentative)
    Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)

Attempted a run this morning, but my calf protested immediately. I think it may have eased up if I kept running, but I'm sure it will be better to rest it a few days, ice it, and stretch it so it's hopefully better this weekend. I don't think the 4/23 race will happen, so the next race isn't until mid May. Instead of running, I plan to ride the stationary bike at the gym this week. At times like these, I wish I had a real bike, but it's such a huge investment.

On a side note, I watched the Barkleys Marathon documentary last night. It was so interesting. Can't say that I ever want to subject myself to running through a briar field...ouch! Also, the blisters that those runners acquired were horrifying!! It's available on Netflix for live streaming in case anyone is interested.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Didn't hit goal last month, but I'm back in for 30 miles for April. I'm planning to run two or three short races this month, including one this Sunday, and I'm considering my first trail run (3 mi) in May.

4/1: 1.3 (1.3)
    4/2: 1.5 (2.8)
    4/3: rest
    4/4: 1.5 (4.3)
  • BeeerRunner
    @angmarie28 Congrats on getting outside to run and preparing for your 1st marathon!! Most marathon training plans suggest a half marathon race in advance of the marathon. I would recommend doing one before the marathon so you have an idea about what a longer race is like. (Although the marathon is a completely tougher beast! ;) )

I personally would not take any sort of pre workout that weight lifters use for running. I've heard it can cause your heart to race really bad. If you need some energy before a long run, I would get them in the form of carbs, unless you have some sort of dietary restrictions. I'll usually have some oatmeal, an English muffin, or a banana.

For long run fuel, I would try a little of everything and see what you like. For me, I prefer that taste of Clif Shot Bloks, but they are huge and don't fit in my hydration belt when I need a bunch. My next fave is Sport Beans, but they are hard to chew when racing, so I only use those on training runs. For gels, I like Huma Gels, especially the caffeinated ones. That's what I use in a race.

Like Gary mentioned, it is a good idea to train your body to burn fat for fuel, but you want to have fuel on hand, just in case you need it. It's something I'm working on, but I'd seriously pass out if I went 19 miles without fuel. 2 weeks ago, I did a 12 mile trail run on a sunny day, and I think I made it to about 9 miles when I started getting light headed. I'm very low on the BMI scale for my height/weight, so not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I used to start taking in fuel at about the 5 mile mark on long runs so I guess I'm getting better. Anyway, the idea behind it is that if you can train your body to run long distances without fuel, you'll perform awesome on race day when using fuel. Here's an article about it that provides tips about how to implement this sort of training.

https://run.mcmillanrunning.com/the-marathon-long-run/

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,872 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    @angmarie28 Congrats on signing up for a marathon! As for fueling, have you thought about trying to run while a little fasted? The idea is to train your body to use the more abundant fat for fuel, rather than relying on the limited (by comparison) carb resources. I generally run first thing in the morning, and have nothing to eat before going out (so we're talking at least 8 hours or so without food) and do just fine; I carry some gels just in case, but so far I've been able to run 19 miles straight without needing them. Just my two pennies. :smile:

If i run in the morning I usually am also fasting, and in the evenings, i wait usually about 2 hours after eating to run. Im more worried about when i start running 10+ miles, so im experimenting now on my longer runs just to see what will set well in my stomach. and im a slow runner, this marathon i only have 6 hours to complete it, and it will take me about that im guessing. But i do prefer to run while fasting.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @angmarie28 - for pre-run does it have to be a drink? There are lots of things you could try that are quick to make and will provide energy but they aren't drinks. I like toast or an english muffin with peanut butter or oatmeal with walnuts (I make multiple servings so I can just reheat it). I can't have milk or milk products like yogurt or even whey protein in a bar before I run because my stomach does not approve and the results are not good... I do however love chocolate milk or a smoothie with yogurt and fruit for recovery after I run!

During my long runs I have found by trial and error that I do best with the Clif Shot Bloks and I also usually take some gummy bears, well, just because I like them :) I didn't care for most of the other things available mostly because they were messy (gels) and/or they made me very thirsty or they upset my stomach. I think you just have to try some things and see what works for you.

I don't do sports drinks - I just drink water. That is just because I haven't really found one I like enough to pay for.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Hey everyone, I have a question for you. I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the "work out" section of MFP or if you guys can just help, but last month was the first time I started running outside of Orangetheory. Before March I would go to Orangetheory about 3-4 times a week, and just relax on the days I wasn't going. Since March started, I have added running to the mix, twice a week. I usually run about 3-4 miles those two days. My question is, by adding the running, will it cause my muscles to retain water even though I have been doing Orangetheory since November?

Thanks in advance!
  • angmarie28
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @angmarie28 Sounds like you have good reason to have some anxiety running outside. There are lots of good fuels, and there is a variety of experience here.

I do GU, Gatorade and sport beans. There's also electrolyte water that's great for shorter hot runs, and coconut water. My longest run is the half.

I've heard others use dried fruit, chocolate milk, jelly beans, cookies, honey stingers, gummy worms... heck back before there were any pre run sports eats/drink a, good ol flat coca cola was the choice. I think the trick is to find what you like and what works. I like red bull and Gatorade for longer runs. BCAA's are also a great option in my book.

I keep some protein to eat asap after a hard run, or really any run... Protein shakes, ohhh and my favorite Picky Bars! Sometimes buffalo chicken wings even!

thank you, I used the Gatorade chews Sunday, it was a short 3 miles, but i worked the night before, and i was getting sick, so i was pretty dead before the run, and the gatorade chews seemed to work fairly well.

I was looking into BCAAs, but then i asked my brother for recommendations on which he prefers, since he works at GNC and has went from a 270 lb guy to a fit 190 pound guy who now lives fitness, but he is also a compulsive liar and instead of recommending what i asked for started telling me to quit the after workout protein drinks and just take BCAAs instead, then when i told him ive been taking the same protein shake after workouts for forever, and thats what works for me, he just told me i was being difficult and looking to argue, so i gave up looking for his advise, haha. ive always been a heavy lifter so im still learning the runners diet.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Finally able to catch up.

@HonuNui - So sorry for your loss. Not sure what else to say.
    @KatieJane83 - Woo hoo! Congrats on signing up for your first full!
    @SkippyGirlsMom - Go Skip! Great PR!
    @ddmom0811 - Humidity already?!?! Ugh!
    @KatieJane83 good job making it through the run. Those Embrace the Suck runs are the ones that build mental toughness, even if it doesn't feel like it all the time!

@MNLittleFinn - Amen! This is why I have "Embrace the suck!" on my RoadID.
    @WhatMeRunning - 50k? Wow! That's awesome! Way to fish @MNLittleFinn into your diabolical scheme.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    @MNLittleFinn you've been at this long enough to know that distance is largely a mind game (and thankfully the majority of us are insane anyway ;) ). It's only 7.8km longer than a marathon, think about that- less than 8k, if your body is battle tested against 42.2 why the hell can't you power through an extra 8? Obviously your call and you should do what you are comfortable with but I feel like you would slay it if you chose to go for the 50.

@angmarie28 way to sign up! I don't have any fueling suggestions that will be relevant to a glyco runner but I wish you lots of luck in your training- long run after a graveyard cannot be easy!

@jessicalferrara you may have some degree of water retention from adding running in March. A better forum to address any concerns you may have regarding water retention/gain and exercise would be the Fitness forum- lots of smart folks on there :)
  • angmarie28
    @shanaber, no, does not have to be a drink, just something that will set well and give me enough extra energy to run a decent run. i usually dont eat anything, and drink very little before my runs because it likes to try to make its way back out after i start running. I started with energy chews because they are small, so not a lot to put in my stomach.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2017
    04/02: 12.1 mile long run, 9:35 pace
    04/03: 4.06 mile easy run, 9:37 pace
    04/04: 5.02 miles- 7x600m repeats, 2:35 average
    Total: 21.18 miles

Notes:
    Track workout today, 600m repeats. For some reason I have a really really strong mental block when it comes to doing repeats of anything longer than 400m. I love doing 200s and 400s and could do them all day, but add those two together and suddenly 600s just seem SO hard. And then don't even get me started on 800s or 1000s :cold_sweat: The point is, I was really dreading this workout! Ran to the track and around once to warm up, then did some drills and strides to get my legs ready to run fast. The workout was 7x600m repeats with 200m recovery walk/jog between repeats. My goal was 2:35 for the 600s, same pace I ran my 400s last week. Actual splits were 2:33, 2:35, 2:34, 2:35, 2:37, 2:35, 2:35 so I was right on target! Overall very pleased with this run, and I'm proud of myself for not letting my mental block hold me back!

Question for the group: I never wear sunscreen, never have in my entire life (and I lived in FL until I was 18!). This thread has made me realize that this is a huge mistake, and I need to start protecting my skin asap! What sort of sun protection does everyone use, or are there any brands that you would recommend for running? Preferably something that sprays on, as lotions cause me severe panic attacks related to childhood trauma.

@HonuNui I have no words, except to join in to the outpouring of grief and support that others have expressed. You and your family are in my thoughts :heart:
    @BeeerRunner so heartbreaking for Gary Robbins! I watched the documentary about a year ago and have been really fascinated with the Barkley Marathons ever since! It's a secret bucket list item for me
    @JessicaMcB awesome pace on your 14k run!
    @WhatMeRunning and @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for the ticker advice! Mine never seemed to update so for the last few months that I've been active in this thread, I've made a new ticker for each post LOL :lol: Turns out all I had to do was ctrl-F5....
    @greenolivetree running with a metronome is a great tool! When I was marathon training last year, my cadence fell to ~158 which was a huge contributor to my stress fracture. I used a metronome religiously for 2 months when I returned to running, and successfully trained myself to keep a cadence of 180-185 regardless of my speed. Definitely worth the effort, hope it is as successful for you :)
    @angmarie28 I usually eat half a clif bar before harder runs (like the one I did today!). It's enough to give me a little fuel in the tank, and sits very well. I usually go for one that's not overly sweet or chocolatey, blueberry crisp and carrot cake are my favorite two! For long runs, I usually eat a breakfast of pancakes or waffles beforehand, and fuel with GUs every 45 minutes. If it is extra hot or sunny, I bring nuun with me instead of water!

exercise.png

Training For:
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn you've been at this long enough to know that distance is largely a mind game (and thankfully the majority of us are insane anyway ;)). It's only 7.8km longer than a marathon, think about that- less than 8k, if your body is battle tested against 42.2 why the hell can't you power through an extra 8? Obviously your call and you should do what you are comfortable with but I feel like you would slay it if you chose to go for the 50.
    LOL. Yeah, if it wasn't for the non-refundable fee, I'd just register now. I REALLY want to, just to have a goal. it will be race # 6 this year for me......so tempting. I haven't done a full 42.2 yet, but I'm like 75% of the way convinced that I should just register, say the heck with it, and start planning for training for the 50k, using marathon number 2 as a training run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    @angmarie28 - Long distance running doesn't require a pre-run energy boost of any sort, it's just not how the muscles work. In any running you are depleting your muscle glycogen, but for long distance running you want that store of glycogen to last as long as possible. So this running needs to be done in an aerobic state so as to burn primarily fat from your body as fuel (as well as lactate produced in your muscles from running). Training your body to do this with a long distance training plan adapts your muscles and everything else to adjust to such a state. Believe it or not, the purpose of gels and all that is NOT to power your muscles at all, and your muscles are not really even going to use them. What the gels and stuff does is keep you blood sugar levels high enough to feed your brain. Your brain only runs on glucose, it will not run on fat. Your muscles are different though and can run on fat without needing glucose from your blood sugar. Those gel packs only have about 100 calories, so it is pretty obvious they are not feeding the muscles which will be burning a lot more than 100 calories during that time! :smile:

Are you so fatigued ahead of your Saturday morning runs that you can't run without something perking you up? I am suspecting not, but if so then that is a WHOLE other story. Assuming you COULD run, you should alternate between fasted and non-fasted runs. There is data out there supporting this. The idea is to have your muscles program themselves to run more on fat than glycogen, meaning your glycogen stores last longer, and you can go further. The reason for alternating between fasted and non-fasted runs is that there is data out there showing that those who always run in a fasted state show the same level of adaptation to fat-burning as those who always run in a non-fasted state. But those who alternate make this adaptation faster. I don't know why, but as I said, there is data out there supporting this. By fasted run, this means starting out in a fasted state. It doesn't mean not taking anything at all during the run if it's a long run.

You should take something to refuel for long runs. Think of long runs by time, not distance. I find I don't need fuel for any run less than 2 hours, but any run over that and I need to plan ahead. Some fuel every 45 minutes, I fuel closer to every hour. About 100 calories of sugar is what you are looking for, but the gels and stuff like that also add in electrolytes, because they have electrolytes and stuff (sorry for the Idiocracy reference). Just find what settles well, is easy to carry, and tastes good.

Yikes, that's a lot, didn't mean to make a long post. Hope this helps!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @ariceroni Glad to hear the metronome worked for you! I guess I shouldn't complain as my cadence was still hanging out around 170. But I can tell that a run that feels rough and jarring will show "green" cadence on Garmin whereas I used to start out blue and then spend a lot of time in the purple range. So I'm just trying to avoid green. LOL

I'm always curious about my stride length too and can never find any concrete information on what is normal or good or bad. My average stride is .85m and I have to really start sprinting to get it up to 1.0m. I often feel like my hips are conspiring against my legs to keep me at a shuffle.
  • BeeerRunner
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Barkley Marathons update!! John Kelly finished in 59:30. Gary Robbins missed the 60 hour cutoff by 6 seconds!! :'( How heartbreaking for him!
    http://runningmagazine.ca/2017-barkley-marathons-recap/

That's not actually the case. He missed the last two miles of the course because he took a wrong turn. He touched the gate 6 seconds after the cutoff, but that's immaterial because even had he touched it 7 seconds earlier, he still would have had a DNF.

He didn't miss by 6 seconds, he missed by 2 miles. None of this, of course, takes away from the fact that he ran one hell of a race, is a total beast of a runner, and a class act.

Yes, I just read that today, but yesterday when I posted this, they didn't report that he was off by 2 miles. Either way, it definitely one helluva race!! I couldn't even complete the "fun run." I'd also need someone to create a map for me!! I was like...you gotta run "100" but probably really 130 miles and make a map off of a master? Eek!!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    @ariceroni I don't have any recommendations for spray (I'm pale kid level 10 thanks to Badger brand children's sunblock though lol) personally but I've heard good things about Ombrelle. Good on you for realizing how important a good SPF is! (P.S. Barkley is my probably won't happen in a million lifetimes goal as well- a woman has never finished afterall ;) )

@MNLittleFinn Keep us posted on what you decide! The HM I run the week after Banff is technically my distance training run against CDR- races can be good training runs

@7lenny7 yeah I kind of hate that Canadian Running Magazine ran with "he only missed by 6 seconds" before Laz explained the DQ because it confused the issue a lot. Robbins is coming back hungry next year though, I bet on him being the first Canadian finisher in 2018.

So does everyone else play "Where did this bruise come from?" every morning? I'm assuming they are from the weekend? I can't even feel the blister on my foot but I know it's because the Kinvara are too neutral for me and I'm turning into the toe. Effffff, wtf do I do about that? The store in town is unlikely to let me return given I ran up on the owner yesterday lol

l9azy17enwyv.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @angmarie28 - Going from 5 miles to a full marathon is a huge jump in distance. The game changes between 10K and a half marathon, and it changes again between a half marathon and a full marathon. Assuming you're committed to the marathon in September, I'd recommend training up to and running a half marathon by June, just to learn how to run longer distances and manage stuff like hydration and nutrition. No, I don't have canned answers for you on what's best; different runners find different strategies that work well for them.

Best of luck, and don't get discouraged if it turns out that you don't have enough time between now and September to turn yourself into a marathon runner. You're already doing more than most Americans can just by running 5 miles.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – 18.19 paced run
    4/2 – 3.90 easy 30 minutes
    4/3 – rest day
    4/4 – 10.75 tempo intervals

April total to date – 32.84

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Run Boston. Finish healthy. Recover well.

Today's notes – Today was the last long tempo interval workout before Boston. The assignment was 2 miles at E, 3 x (2 miles at T with 2 minutes recovery), 2 miles at E. My target pace for E is anywhere between 7:45 and 8:15 per mile, and target for T is 6:30 per mile. Recovery is whatever feels like I'm recovering, usually a little slower than E.

Got great weather yesterday for my rest day. Today's forecast had rain mid-day and strong winds in the afternoon and evening. Bearing that in mind, and wanting to do a non-running event this evening, I got out to run at 9:44 this morning. Temp was 55º F (13º C), with a modest 7 mph SSW wind that strengthened as I ran. I did get to run through a light shower starting about a mile in, but that cleared up before I'd gone another mile. I've found it convenient to run these tempo intervals around RIT campus, which is mostly flat with one small hill. I managed to plan things to hit the uphill on my first recovery interval, then I reversed direction after the second T interval so I didn't need to hit the hill a second time.

I did pretty well against target paces:
    2 miles E, 8:04 and 7:51
    2 miles T, 6:26 and 6:23
    2 minutes recovery, 0.24 mile
    2 miles T, 6:18 and 6:17
    2 minutes recovery, 0.25 mile
    2 miles T, 6:26 and 6:32 (yes, I was getting tired)
    2 minutes recovery, 0.25 mile
    2 miles E, 7:54 and 7:51
    with a meaningless tag of 0.01 mile stopping the Garmin

During the last E interval, I felt like I was really dogging it. Looked at my watch, and it reported a 7:45 current pace at that time. Part of the point of this workout is to experience those tired legs in the last E interval. That's what late miles in a marathon will feel like, and if I can run the late miles faster than 8:00 I'm in good shape.

There are no more "tired legs" workouts left on my training schedule. The 12 miles I'll run Saturday won't be as hard as today's workout, and everything else I have left before Boston will be single digit mileage days. But at least today's workout will hold the taper crazies at bay for a while.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• angmarie28
    edited April 2017
    @WhatMeRunning -thank you for the advice, i know it wont fuel my muscles, but i need something to wake me up, I work m-f days and friday and saturday graveyards at the moment, this just started and its only for 2 months, then my m-f job is done for the summer. caffeine doesnt do much for waking me up and feeling energized (i sleep better after drinking a cup of coffee at night), so im wanting something to just get my brain in the game, it may not be such a problem as im just starting this 2nd job, but want to be prepared in the case i need a boost.

@MobyCarp - I know its a huge jump, I can run 7+ miles, but trying to pace myself to avoid injury. this last sunday should have been a 6 or 7 miler, but i was pretty ill, so it was a crappy 3.3 miles. ive been working on my runs for 5 weeks now, and i know i may not be able to actually do the marathon, Im dedicated 100% to the half, but shooting for the full, which is why im not registered yet, definitely not going to jump head first into it and get hurt, so I ill see where im at in June/July, and if im not seeing enough progress, im not going to do the full.

thank you for all the advise everyone. Im really excited for the marathon (even if i only end up doing the half) I wish i realized sooner how much better i felt running out doors, its really helped me get through some mental struggles ive been having troubles with, and making me an overall better more positive person.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited April 2017
    @KatieJane83 congrats on the marathon registration, very exciting!! Nothing like 26.2 miles looming in the future to motivate you to get out and run. I enjoy seeing everyone's running photos as well. That trail along the calm waters is just begging me to run it, lol!
    @HonuNui so very, very sorry to hear of your loss. I can't even imagine what it's like for you and your family.
    @ROBOTFOOD you had me with that 30 mile run.
    @patrikc333 I love the photo!
    @skippygirlsmom kudos to Skip!! She'll get the 3200 PR next time for sure.
    @OSUbuckeye906 there's something to be said for running by feel and if your body felt it could run faster Sunday, then you did it right. Those snapping turtles are deceptively quick, at least with their heads. We used to catch them quite often when we were kids. One time a friend wasn't careful and lost a nice sized bit of his elbow. The one is the picture is about 12 to 14 inches across the shell.
    @kgirlhat I started running at 48 years old and 50 pounds overweight.
    @autumnblade75 I love your "woo!" in the vid! congrats!
    @KeepRunningFatboy you made the jumbotron!
    @ariceroni For one thing I only take pictures of the most scenic parts, and then only post those which turn out well. That run on Sunday was mostly dull, drab turf trails. I should have taken a picture of that to show the extremes. But we are fortunate to have some very scenic trails around here, both paved & unpaved, urban, suburban, and rural. Still, there are many other places around I'd much rather run, and most of those areas involve mountains like @juliet3455, beaches like @shanaber, or different countries like @_nikkiwolf_ . The grass is always greener, right?
    @WhatMeRunning you're starting to think of 50k eh? Nice!!!
    @MNLittleFinn I hear those Wild Duluth races are pretty good. If it wasn't being held on MEA weekend (which is when I take my son deer hunting), I'd sign up for the 50k, though it's unlikely I'd specifically train for it. BTW, I hear the earlier you sign up the better your chances are for a PR, so you better get on that ASAP! Register now, think later. Like @JessicaMcB says, if you can do a full, you can do a 50K. By the time it gets close you can find a 50 miler to sign up for and use that 50K as a training run.
    @shanaber, nice job going after that hill! Hills are to be embraced, not avoided!
    @Bakins929 free runs...I highly recommend those for everyone! When I do that i will bring my GPS watch just to track my distance, but I cover it up and just run however fast and wherever the mood strikes me, letting my brain's alpha waves take over.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Hi all

Aim: 130k

4/2: 13.1k -casual run-
    4/3: 1.5k -cause I am lazy, that's why-
    4/4: 4k -as c/d of leg day training-

18.6/130k

Stay free of injuries!