Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    IrisFlute wrote: »
    Sometimes in these "clean eating" conversations, the concept of nutrition seems to get lost. I see repeated statements that calorie deficit is THE ONLY THING that matters, and that food choices are an irrelevant personal preference.
    That's also the general impression I have from my short time here at MFP. When the subject of making more nutritionally dense food choices comes up and someone is enthusiastic about it or says it made a real difference in their lives, an army of posters comes along to mock and ridicule and force them to define what they mean with Merriam Webster like accuracy. When somene comes along and says, "Oh I can't stop eating cookies", they are barraged with.....understanding and acceptance. I find it especially funny how the oreos are globbed onto as if the OP wasn't just using oreos as an example to illustrate a point.

If calories in/calories out really is the only thing that matters in weight loss, why don't we simply accept the OP's choices as what's working best for them and leave it at that? Why can't we be positive about someone making food choices that are healthier in the long run, especially when the OP says it's already having an effect on her skin and hair and her blood work is great for the first time in her life. Sad that she'd be readily accepted if she had a fetish for bonbons and french fries yet was able to meet her calorie targets, but is roasted for advocating a diet that has had literally life changing benefits for her.
    IrisFlute wrote: »
    Sometimes in these "clean eating" conversations, the concept of nutrition seems to get lost. I see repeated statements that calorie deficit is THE ONLY THING that matters, and that food choices are an irrelevant personal preference.
    That's also the general impression I have from my short time here at MFP. When the subject of making more nutritionally dense food choices comes up and someone is enthusiastic about it or says it made a real difference in their lives, an army of posters comes along to mock and ridicule and force them to define what they mean with Merriam Webster like accuracy. When somene comes along and says, "Oh I can't stop eating cookies", they are barraged with.....understanding and acceptance. I find it especially funny how the oreos are globbed onto as if the OP wasn't just using oreos as an example to illustrate a point.

If calories in/calories out really is the only thing that matters in weight loss, why don't we simply accept the OP's choices as what's working best for them and leave it at that? Why can't we be positive about someone making food choices that are healthier in the long run, especially when the OP says it's already having an effect on her skin and hair and her blood work is great for the first time in her life. Sad that she'd be readily accepted if she had a fetish for bonbons and french fries yet was able to meet her calorie targets, but is roasted for advocating a diet that has had literally life changing benefits for her.

I feel like people hang onto some buzz words that trigger them and lost my overall point but I'll just be careful when posting in the future. You clearly have to be super precise and careful with language on these forums lol.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    My view is yes. I eat a super clean diet Within my calorie range and I am losing more then a pound a week (even though I'm not overweight) I'm 5"8 and started at about 160 and now I'm at 138. It's been super easy and my skin and hair look great.

My best friend is focusing only on calories and she is losing too but she always feels hungry, her nails are breaking too and she gets moody. So I think clean eating is super important during weight loss. What do you guys think?

P.S. my food diary is open if you want to look and friend adds are welcome

I know you have probably already heard this, but while clean eating may be your thing it has nil to do with actual weight loss. Weight loss is strictly calories in, calories out.

Why are you trying to lose weight when you are not overweight? In fact, you are at the low end of a healthy weight range.
    Im only trying to lose another few and then I'll start bulking in the gym. I'm still recovering from a fractured patella so I'm getting back down to my normal weight and then I'll start rock climbing and lifting again and put back on some healthy weight :)

I'm not just talking about the weight loss itself but also how satisfied you feel during the process and how the rest of you looks.

I don't understand the statement I have put in bold. You can't tell by how someone looks whether they eat clean. I used to eat loads of fruits, vegetables, no added sugar, no sodas, low fat, and I gained weight, but nobody could tell that by looking at me. In fact, I'm pretty sure their impression was that I was eating a lot of high calorie foods. ;)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    In the OP you said you ate "super clean", now you come back saying, "I drink twice a year and I eat a homemade dessert about once a month. I do use some processed sauces and when I'm sick, I eat white toast and drink processed juice", in other words, you moderate......just like most of us do. The difference is, we don't start threads that say "how important do you think it is to eat a homemade brownie in moderation?" See the difference? Quite honestly, it seems your OP was more of a humble brag on how superior your diet is to your friends and a backhanded put down of her. Moral equivocation has no place when it comes to food.
    Um, anyone who thinks their way of eating makes them MORALLY superior to someone else has some serious issues. I wasn't bragging about anything. I was engaging in conversation and discussion. I have no problem with the people who stuck to the discussion but it's ridiculous you can't claim to be a healthy eater if at least 90% of your choices are healthy. People who take it beyond that have orthorexia. My choices are mostly all whole food plant based. Everybody moderates to different degrees. I'm not judging anyone. Actually- you are
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    My view is yes. I eat a super clean diet Within my calorie range and I am losing more then a pound a week (even though I'm not overweight) I'm 5"8 and started at about 160 and now I'm at 138. It's been super easy and my skin and hair look great.

My best friend is focusing only on calories and she is losing too but she always feels hungry, her nails are breaking too and she gets moody. So I think clean eating is super important during weight loss. What do you guys think?

P.S. my food diary is open if you want to look and friend adds are welcome

I know you have probably already heard this, but while clean eating may be your thing it has nil to do with actual weight loss. Weight loss is strictly calories in, calories out.

Why are you trying to lose weight when you are not overweight? In fact, you are at the low end of a healthy weight range.
    Im only trying to lose another few and then I'll start bulking in the gym. I'm still recovering from a fractured patella so I'm getting back down to my normal weight and then I'll start rock climbing and lifting again and put back on some healthy weight :)

I'm not just talking about the weight loss itself but also how satisfied you feel during the process and how the rest of you looks.

I don't understand the statement I have put in bold. You can't tell by how someone looks whether they eat clean. I used to eat loads of fruits, vegetables, no added sugar, no sodas, low fat, and I gained weight, but nobody could tell that by looking at me. In fact, I'm pretty sure their impression was that I was eating a lot of high calorie foods. ;)
    Well my hair and nails look fantastic eating this way and so does my skin. Plus it's been effortless and fun. I feel great. I didn't claim that you cod tell how someone ate by looking at them but you can certainly see changes in yourself. You can eat however you want. I'm just commenting and straying discussion :) whatever works. You do you. I feel like healthy foods have made this process easier for me