Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Um, anyone who thinks their way of eating makes them MORALLY superior to someone else has some serious issues. I wasn't bragging about anything. I was engaging in conversation and discussion. I have no problem with the people who stuck to the discussion but it's ridiculous you can't claim to be a healthy eater if at least 90% of your choices are healthy. People who take it beyond that have orthorexia. My choices are mostly all whole food plant based. Everybody moderates to different degrees. I'm not judging anyone. Actually- you are

Not judging you, absolutely judging your post. How about this statement, "its ridiculous you cant claim to be a healthy eater if you meet your nutritional needs by whatever means."
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ashorey87 wrote: »
    I lost 90 lbs eating donuts and pizza.

And white bread.

And cookies.

And brownies.

And tacos.

Shall I continue?
    That's awesome. :)
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    My view is yes. I eat a super clean diet Within my calorie range and I am losing more then a pound a week (even though I'm not overweight) I'm 5"8 and started at about 160 and now I'm at 138. It's been super easy and my skin and hair look great.

My best friend is focusing only on calories and she is losing too but she always feels hungry, her nails are breaking too and she gets moody. So I think clean eating is super important during weight loss. What do you guys think?

P.S. my food diary is open if you want to look and friend adds are welcome

I know you have probably already heard this, but while clean eating may be your thing it has nil to do with actual weight loss. Weight loss is strictly calories in, calories out.

Why are you trying to lose weight when you are not overweight? In fact, you are at the low end of a healthy weight range.
    Im only trying to lose another few and then I'll start bulking in the gym. I'm still recovering from a fractured patella so I'm getting back down to my normal weight and then I'll start rock climbing and lifting again and put back on some healthy weight :)

I'm not just talking about the weight loss itself but also how satisfied you feel during the process and how the rest of you looks.

The bolded is a function of exercise, macros, and micros, not food labels. But now this is starting to get insulting to us non-clean eaters.

I am not insulting anyone. It's a discussion about it not a statement. I'm speaking from pure personal experience and asking for everyone else's opinions. Many have been insulting towards me and my post. I am not being insulting. I spoke about one direct example about my friend and I- nobody else. I have not said anything rude about however you chose to eat. Anyway, this is getting ridiculous. I simply feel my best this way. If youve had a different experience, and look and feel your best without worrying about healthy foods - feel free to share. That's what this discussion is for. Not arguments
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    IrisFlute wrote: »
    Sometimes in these "clean eating" conversations, the concept of nutrition seems to get lost. I see repeated statements that calorie deficit is THE ONLY THING that matters, and that food choices are an irrelevant personal preference. Sure, there's a certain physics involved in weight loss, and you could lose weight eating nothing but candy bars if you count calories accurately -- but our bodies are more than just numbers on a scale! There are a whole bunch of nutrients we need, and more of those nutrients exist in foods like lean meats, cheeses, beans, dark green vegetables, whole grains, etc., than exist in cupcakes and soda. Nutrition is actually a real science. What you put in your mouth matters for more reasons than just calories. It affects our brains, our cardiac systems, all the delicate chemistry of our bodies.

Furthermore, when you're eating fewer calories than you burn, every bite of food you take becomes more important in terms of meeting your body's needs. For instance, I'm eating at around 1200 calories a day plus most of my exercise calories. At 1200 calories, my body's nutritional demands simply don't leave any room for foods that aren't nutrient dense. I have to make sure every bite is maximally nutritious, or I'd end up thinner but malnourished.

I also see a lot of arguments that "clean eating" doesn't exist, because it doesn't have an ironclad definition. It seems sensible to substitute the phrase "nutrient dense" for "clean." That's objectively measurable. If you eat a 250-calorie meal of kale and chicken, you'll be getting protein, fiber, Vitamins A, K, C, B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, selenium, phosphorus, and more. If you eat a 250-calorie meal of 2 cookies, what do you get? Some fat, some refined carbs, and maybe a bit of protein from eggs in the recipe?

It's also worth noting that added sugars are not a nutrient our bodies need. While scientists are still disputing the exact health outcome of eating more sugar than we need, nobody claims that our bodies NEED added sugar. We can get all the sugars we need from eating fruits and vegies and grains that include fiber and other important nutrients in the same package.

So while we're eating fewer calories than we're burning, it doesn't make sense to squander those precious calories on something our bodies just don't need.

I completely agree. I think if a lot of people checked their food intake on chronometer.com (which shows your whole RDA) instead of just MyFitnessPal, they'd realize how many nutrient deficiencies their diet may be contributing to. I think you'll have an easier time excercise he, sticking to a diet and generally moving around your life if you are eating a nutrient rich diet with minimally processed foods

You haven't read a single thing we've posted, have you? YOU CAN STILL EAT A NUTRIENT RICH DIET AND NOT EAT CLEAN. In fact, from your description above you're doing it right now.
    I've read everything. My definition of clean is just healthy. All I'm talking about is healthy vs the standard American diet
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Treating myself once a month and drinking twice a year means I don't eat clean? I think it's what you do 90% of the time that counts. Maybe I'm using a buzz word you don't like but let's get over the symenatics. Would it make you happy if I changed the wording of the title or are you just here to argue?
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    ashorey87 wrote: »
    I lost 90 lbs eating donuts and pizza.

And white bread.

And cookies.

And brownies.

And tacos.

Shall I continue?
    That's awesome. :)
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    My view is yes. I eat a super clean diet Within my calorie range and I am losing more then a pound a week (even though I'm not overweight) I'm 5"8 and started at about 160 and now I'm at 138. It's been super easy and my skin and hair look great.

My best friend is focusing only on calories and she is losing too but she always feels hungry, her nails are breaking too and she gets moody. So I think clean eating is super important during weight loss. What do you guys think?

I know you have probably already heard this, but while clean eating may be your thing it has nil to do with actual weight loss. Weight loss is strictly calories in, calories out.

Why are you trying to lose weight when you are not overweight? In fact, you are at the low end of a healthy weight range.
    Im only trying to lose another few and then I'll start bulking in the gym. I'm still recovering from a fractured patella so I'm getting back down to my normal weight and then I'll start rock climbing and lifting again and put back on some healthy weight :)

I'm not just talking about the weight loss itself but also how satisfied you feel during the process and how the rest of you looks.

The bolded is a function of exercise, macros, and micros, not food labels. But now this is starting to get insulting to us non-clean eaters.

I am not insulting anyone. It's a discussion about it not a statement. I'm speaking from pure personal experience and asking for everyone else's opinions. Many have been insulting towards me and my post. I am not being insulting. I spoke about one direct example about my friend and I- nobody else. I have not said anything rude about however you chose to eat. Anyway, this is getting ridiculous. I simply feel my best this way. If youve had a different experience, and look and feel your best without worrying about healthy foods - feel free to share. That's what this discussion is for. Not arguments

To the first statement see the bold which is followed up by the other bolded statement. If that isn't insulting after nearly everyone here has stated they focus on nutrition primarily but also enjoy other calorie dense nutrient light foods.

You are being wilfully selective in what you are extracting from the experiences you asked for and have been given.
    If they are expressing that they eat mostly healthy foods then that is not consistent with the difference I am talking about between me and my friend. How is it insulting for me to ask for people to share their experience?

• RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think "clean eating" is a pretty much meaningless term...everyone is going to have their own definition of what "clean" means.

I eat a diet rich in whole food nutrition whether I'm losing or maintaining...but I also enjoy pizza night most Fridays and whatnot. If nutritional requirements are met then it's all good...you don't get extra credit for more broccoli.
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine

Seems like that's all in your head...probably a crap relationship with food bordering on orthorexia.
    well if you're hitting all your nutritional goals most days, then you're obviously eating a predominately healthy diet. My friend is eating mcdonalds and cookies just super small portions :(

• RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think "clean eating" is a pretty much meaningless term...everyone is going to have their own definition of what "clean" means.

I eat a diet rich in whole food nutrition whether I'm losing or maintaining...but I also enjoy pizza night most Fridays and whatnot. If nutritional requirements are met then it's all good...you don't get extra credit for more broccoli.
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine

Seems like that's all in your head...probably a crap relationship with food bordering on orthorexia.
    well if you're hitting all your nutritional goals most days, then you're obviously eating a predominately healthy diet. My friend is eating mcdonalds and cookies just super small portions :(

Why are you asking for our experiences, referencing the responses you've had but insisting we talk about your friend who we know nothing about other than your insistence all she's eating is "junk"?
    I appreciate all the responses. I agree that some treats are fine in moderation. Maybe I can get a screen grab of her food diary with her permission but anyway- I think I've just kind of lost my way in this thread. I did t realize clean eating was such a loaded word. I thought it was interchangeable with healthy or nutrient rich

• RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    What is the question? Will you lose more weight eating "clean" by whatever personal definition that is? No.

Your friend appears to be suffering the effect of undereating. By and large, those getting enough calories from fast food etc don't experience things like brittle nails. Or there could be an unknown medical cause.

Yes, you may be right. She may be deficient in something or just not eating enough
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'll bite too. I lost 60 lbs. over about a year and a half. I had borderline high cholesterol before and now my numbers are great. Because I lost the weight, it was easier to become more active. I took up running and so far have reached the half marathon distance (was training for a full and got injured) and I have been lifting to maintain muscle. I am 51 years old and I am certain my testosterone level is shrinking so staying fit and active are important to me. I have done all of this while eating ice cream every day. I eat pizza, burgers, fries, BBQ, cookies, cake, donuts...you get the picture. Now here is the thing.......I don't do it everyday....because that doesn't fit my goals, but a meat lovers pizza has very good macro nutrient percentages for me for example, but I cant eat that many calories too often. Last night for dinner I had a chicken breast, oven baked cabbage and potato's, that's how I usually eat. I eat healthy. I am healthy. I don't eat "clean".