April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The stationary bike is killing my butt though. I don't think I can sit on it again this evening. Ouch!! I think I'm on the verge of saddle sores like @ddmom0811 . LOL! I'll try the elliptical, keeping it flat with no incline so it hopefully won't aggravate my calf.

I got on my non-stationary bike at the weekend and have only just got over the shock. I was only out for about an hour!!!

Maybe swimming is the way to go?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So, this is today's weather forecast :s I either need to take my chances with this, or attempt to squeeze in 8 miles on the dreadmill between work ending at 5:30 and getting to the zumba class my best friend teaches at 7pm. Ughhh. I'm seriously just thinking of getting out at lunch and getting it done. At least it won't be freezing cold, and I have my waterproof jacket and my cap with me. I really don't mind running in the rain, I'm just a little tired of it at this point, and there's the whole chance of thunderstorms thing. Ughhh.

y936h5e1xo0n.jpg
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen that's a very serene photo. very nice.
    @rhiannonro smart plan. I hope your comeback is injury free! @Freck135 I hope your comeback is also injury free!
    @MNLittleFinn TBH, in the big picture I don't think it matters much which of those two routes you run. Which route would you be more excited to run? Go for that one. 290' of elevation difference over 18 miles is pretty minimal.

On the larger topic training for flat marathons...my marathon last year was super flat, being on a former rail line. Garmin tells me that the total elevation gain was just 403. Because I knew it would be flat, I trained flat, often running local rail trails on my long runs. That was a mistake. If I could go back and change just one thing about my training for that marathon, it would be to do far more hill work. My quads were my weak point that day and building them up with hills would have made a big difference. I firmly believe I would have made my time goal had I done that. I'm doing a lot more vertical now and I can really notice the difference on the flats. Going forward, my suggestion is that you embrace the vertical. It's a low impact way to build up leg strength. BTW, this site indicates Grandma's has 993 feet of elevation. I have no idea if this site is accurate though.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    5.8 easy miles around the 'hood last night with Kody while listening to an interesting podcast, an interview with Matt Fitzgerald about mental training.

The run itself was uneventful but about an hour later a dull pain grew in my knee along with a feeling of a bit of swelling, though I couldn't see it. Perhaps an aftereffect of wrenching my knee on the trail run the night before? Dunno. I may take the night off or shorten my planned run considerably. Normally i'd run through this but I have 37 miles to run this weekend and I'd rather not jeopardize that for an easy 6 tonight.

ku77tz4sim5k.jpg
    g6.jpg 20.1K
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    The stationary bike is killing my butt though. I don't think I can sit on it again this evening. Ouch!! I think I'm on the verge of saddle sores like @ddmom0811 . LOL! I'll try the elliptical, keeping it flat with no incline so it hopefully won't aggravate my calf.

I got on my non-stationary bike at the weekend and have only just got over the shock. I was only out for about an hour!!!

Maybe swimming is the way to go?

I can technically swim, but I'm not very good at it. I love the side stroke, but hate most everything else. When doing my SCUBA certification, I did the side stroke. I was last to finish, but it's what I do best! I'm more of a float in the pool on a raft with a tasty beverage in hand kind of girl. Lol! Also, there aren't very many indoor pools around, and now that I've acclamated to Texas, it pretty much has to be in the 90s before I'll get in the water. I should probably get some lessons to learn proper form. It'll be in the 90s and up soon, and my gym has a nice outdoor pool.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I concur with @7lenny7 that for physical training, it doesn't make much difference. Pick whichever route you think will be more fun.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - I concur with @7lenny7 that for physical training, it doesn't make much difference. Pick whichever route you think will be more fun.

yeah, I'm slowly figuring that. I think I'm just obsessing since I'm nearing the halfway point of training and every day it gets more real. Saturday's run will be a HUGE milestone to me. For some reason the fact that it's less than 10 miles shorter than Marathon distance seems a big deal to me.....maybe because 10 miles doesn't seem as big as it did a year ago?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - HILLS, HILLS, HILLS!!! Then, when you finish those...MORE HILLS!!! :naughty: I'm actually trying to do better about this myself. I was careful last week to do mostly easy routes with the big increase in mileage, but this week I'm taking routes with hills. I'm actually faster this week, strangely enough. Plus, you should technically seek out hills on pretty much all of your runs. The trick is to keep your effort honest on your runs while you conquer those hills. Just because it's a hill is no excuse to burn up your run. You might be slow going up, but at some point you're going back down and will more easily make up for it (as long as your end point is the same as your start point).

@KatieJane83 - I hear you on the cold rain crapola! I had prepped myself mentally for running yesterday morning when the forecast had been saying for days that it was going to be around 40 degrees with winds arounds 25 miles per hour and heavy rain coming down sideways driven by the wind. I had it all in my mind, running around, pumping my fists at the sky, shouting "Is this the best you got?", gritting onward. Then other things happened and I let myself wait until the afternoon when it was not raining (but was still very windy). At some point all this will let up and it will be sunny and HOT!!

@7lenny7 - Very wise to give that knee some rest. Hope it clears right up!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wrapped up week 2 of this 30 mpw base building cycle today with 4 miles. I logged my fastest pace today, and have a rest day tomorrow. Looking forward to Saturday's 10 mile long run!

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles

30 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn I agree as well...pick the route you'll enjoy the most. I hurt my knee at the end of my 1st 18 miler, but it was a combination of things and I think the biggest contributor was doing a lot of hills the week prior on a road with a really strong downward slope on the shoulder of the road. Therefore, there was a strong imbalance between when my right and left leg would hit the pavement. With that being said, avoid those kind of roads. However, I think I was also building up my mileage too quickly trying to make up for lost time during my hamstring injury. Either way, I survived and was still able to run my marathon, but wish I didn't have the knee issues.

Have fun this weekend!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Going with the hillier route. plan is that I'll take tomorrow easier (flatter) then use my LR on Saturday for some hille. I don't want to kill my legs the day before a possible 3 mile distance PR.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Just picking up on the sunscreen thing – looks like my weekend away with the running club is going to be 60 degrees and sunny (er, yes, it DOES get warmer in the UK, but this sun is pretty hot!) so will stop and buy some more cream on the way home.

I’ve always favoured P20 made by Riemanns (the 20 doesn’t refer to the SPF). Yes, it’s a bit oily, but you put it on 20 minutes before you get dressed/go out, and I’ve always used it as a diver – all other creams wash off into the eyes (and into the sea) but this stuff is magic. It stays put all day, even in and out of the water and sat on a boat. Some people complain that it stains their white towels, but I rarely wear white anyway….
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 10 miles - 40
    4/4 4 miles - 44 << Daily Double
    4/5 6.2 miles - 50.2
    4/6 6.2 miles - 56.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I agree with the others on taking whichever route you will enjoy more. This distance PR is likely to be more of a mental test for you than a physical one. Also, I tend to find hilly routes easier to run for my long runs. Running on flat ground uses the same muscles over and over and they become fatigued much more quickly than when I am switching it up by running up and down hills. I chose flat courses for races because I can run the faster, but that does not necessarily make them easier. If you train regularly on hills, your legs are less likely to feel beat up after a hilly run than a flat one. That's my experience anyway.

Have not been around much this week because I just got through with an audit at work. I am the Quality Manager at our lab, so these things fall squarely on my shoulders. We passed with flying colors and no deficiencies. Whew, April stress number one out of the way...
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @7lenny7 @MobyCarp @WhatMeRunning @BeeerRunner @lporter229 Thanks for the input/advice all. I know I'm overthinking things, but it's a lot harder not to, than I thought it would be. Saturday may be the first run where I practice fueling, so that might part of the nerves too.
  • tatianachesham
    tatianachesham Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    April 1- 7km
    April 2- 8km
    April 3- 7km
    April 4- rest day
    April 5- downhill skiing.( No run whoops)
    April 6- 10km

Remaining 118km, going to need a few bigger days coming up to stay on track. But 10km is my biggest run in a few years, so taking it as a win!