Why so much despise for bodybuilders

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm indifferent, it's not an aesthetic I'm particularly fond of but I can appreciate the work that goes into it. I do sometimes wonder though what it's like not to be able to cross your arms cos pecs and guns (generic you).

I can cross my arms.... And touch my shoulders on bicep day... Perhaps I'm not a real bodybuilder :D
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm indifferent, it's not an aesthetic I'm particularly fond of but I can appreciate the work that goes into it. I do sometimes wonder though what it's like not to be able to cross your arms cos pecs and guns (generic you).

There was a funny story that Nasser was recalling regarding Greg Kovacs having to use bathroom towels to wipe his own backside because he physically couldn't do it and his wife used to have to 'clean up' after him on regular occasions. They were very good friends and both high level competitors.

Well - it was half funny half sad - you got to feel for the guy to let it get to that level where it physically prohibits you from performing something like that. Although Nasser did bad mouth a lot of people and should have kept a lot of it to himself and there's quite possibly a lot of embellishment.
  • IVMay
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    I cant say ive ever felt any despise on here amongst members, in the whole its a very supportive place, and i've never had any derogatory comments.
    Some small minded people, when they see you have muscle, immediately assume you do steroids, those people are the ones that dont realise it takes years if hard work in the gym and eating right, purely because they dont do it themselves.

@IVMay - its quite amusing how you spout off about bodybuilders traps and delts and their lack of this and that - judging by the look of you, you are a crossfitter or cardio monkey, thats fine, being muscular is not everyones fitness goal, some just life to stay lean and fit and healthy, thats absolutely fine, everyone is different, but i dont think you show any class or earn any right to criticise people that do spend their life dedicated to building a better body.

I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that the physique of pro bodybuilders or even OP's (if that's him in the picture) can be achieved naturally? Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

My main issue with *some* body builders (as i consider myself a bodybuilder and i'm so passionate about fitness that i work in this field as my profession) is that SOME PEOPLE become consumed with achieving anything "at all costs". I'm not opposed to someone using, some people have naturally higher test, older men continue to have lower levels over time, etc. etc. etc. but let's be real... once you cross over the general range of what's genetically possible you are not *natural* anymore and you don't "look natural" anymore either. Fair enough, that's your body, do what you want with it.

But, is it really so strange to get looks? For people to be shocked or surprised? For people to find you unattractive and/or fake looking? I don't think so. It's like when a woman has had a LOT of plastic surgery; some people can't help but look or be repulsed. That doesn't make people bad or you bad for choosing to look a certain way.

In summary; if you cross over the point of "I want to build my body into it's best possible physique" into rich piana territory you shouldn't be complaining when others stare/make assumptions/aren't a fan/aren't attracted to you.

"Whatever it takes, right babe?
    Gddddammmit!"

Edit: quoted as usual Piana type expression; before a certain someone who has been on my case flagging everything possible to instigate a ban. Sigh. :)

Pretty much agree with what you said. But to be fair it's so opinion based that what might be a good physique for one person may be OTT for another. Generally I'm of the opinion that people like Frank Zane, Chris Dickerson, Sammir Banout, Danny Padilla, even up to Lee Haney where I think it kind of become more like a size game pageant...

A lot of TV/films from the 70/80/early 90's era didn't really focus on their action heros having herculean type physiques. The shift towards size and musculature has really changed so much as to what is considered the norm. Personally I'm a fan of it from being into that gym culture years ago but alas studies and work took over and then laziness and going out too much doing silly things... This time around it's about functionality and health wayso more than aesthetics.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    I cant say ive ever felt any despise on here amongst members, in the whole its a very supportive place, and i've never had any derogatory comments.
    Some small minded people, when they see you have muscle, immediately assume you do steroids, those people are the ones that dont realise it takes years if hard work in the gym and eating right, purely because they dont do it themselves.

@IVMay - its quite amusing how you spout off about bodybuilders traps and delts and their lack of this and that - judging by the look of you, you are a crossfitter or cardio monkey, thats fine, being muscular is not everyones fitness goal, some just life to stay lean and fit and healthy, thats absolutely fine, everyone is different, but i dont think you show any class or earn any right to criticise people that do spend their life dedicated to building a better body.

I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that the physique of pro bodybuilders or even OP's (if that's him in the picture) can be achieved naturally? Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

My main issue with *some* body builders (as i consider myself a bodybuilder and i'm so passionate about fitness that i work in this field as my profession) is that SOME PEOPLE become consumed with achieving anything "at all costs". I'm not opposed to someone using, some people have naturally higher test, older men continue to have lower levels over time, etc. etc. etc. but let's be real... once you cross over the general range of what's genetically possible you are not *natural* anymore and you don't "look natural" anymore either. Fair enough, that's your body, do what you want with it.

But, is it really so strange to get looks? For people to be shocked or surprised? For people to find you unattractive and/or fake looking? I don't think so. It's like when a woman has had a LOT of plastic surgery; some people can't help but look or be repulsed. That doesn't make people bad or you bad for choosing to look a certain way.

In summary; if you cross over the point of "I want to build my body into it's best possible physique" into rich piana territory you shouldn't be complaining when others stare/make assumptions/aren't a fan/aren't attracted to you.

Gddddammmit!"

Edit: quoted as usual Piana type expression; before a certain someone who has been on my case flagging everything possible to instigate a ban. Sigh. :)

Pretty much agree with what you said. But to be fair it's so opinion based that what might be a good physique for one person may be OTT for another. Generally I'm of the opinion that people like Frank Zane, Chris Dickerson, Sammir Banout, Danny Padilla, even up to Lee Haney where I think it kind of become more like a size game pageant...

A lot of TV/films from the 70/80/early 90's era didn't really focus on their action heros having herculean type physiques. The shift towards size and musculature has really changed so much as to what is considered the norm. Personally I'm a fan of it from being into that gym culture years ago but alas studies and work took over and then laziness and going out too much doing silly things... This time around it's about functionality and health wayso more than aesthetics.

I thought this was well known?

Anyways, we all have our preference for physiques, but even back in the day these "natural" bodybuilders were probably *ALSO* considered freaks of nature to the average person. It's all about perspective. The more over the line of normalcy anyone looks in any respect will garner more attention (negative AND positive). :)
  • IVMay
    edited April 2017
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »

Gddddammmit!"

I thought this was well known?

Anyways, we all have our preference for physiques, but even back in the day these "natural" bodybuilders were probably *ALSO* considered freaks of nature to the average person. It's all about perspective. The more over the line of normalcy anyone looks in any respect will garner more attention (negative AND positive). :)

Yes it is well known - but I'm sure you're aware how.... err.... well how some people seem to operate, to put it mildly.

I feel quite content in my real life. Bitterness and resentment seems to be nonexistent. Have been quite lucky.

Oh yeah back to the point I assume Piana also feels quite lucky - it works for him and all that PMAA seems to sit nicely with the tattoos hiding the vascularity and possible lack of striations/fibres. Yeah you're right with them being considered freaks in those days. It was like the circus was coming into town people like Tom Platz and Dave Draper, Lou Ferrigno etc all eating out together and ordering 3 times what a normal person would eat in steak (edit) etc. As if it was ancient Rome and the gladiators had come to town I think is one expression used.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think how many bodybuilders I was aware of or saw either in real life or on the TV as a kid. My perception may be skewed as I spent 5 days a week gymnastics training so wasn't really watching much telly. Apart from Gladiators which was essential viewing. And I think those were the only ones I actually knew but they were actually mostly former athletes.

I don't think I saw any in real life in the weights room we'd sometimes do some conditioning in (gym training was in a local sports centre, well, two sports centres).

Oh and of course doormen/bouncers were quite often pretty built. So I do think the number of builders is more prevalent now but I would think that would make them less noticeable or head turning, as it's more normal to see?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I have a number of body builder friends, so I go on record saying I do not despise bodybuilders as a whole.

That said, I have seen /experienced a lot of aggression and rudeness coming from those who are heavily involved in the sport.

Case in point... On this two page thread, a number of varying body types replied, and it was the self-professed bodybuilders who were calling names (cardio monkey) and judging body types (fat, skinny, noshape, beanpoles, etc)

Though... Once the name calling started, many jumped in.

That aggressive attitude and disrespectful behavior is what bodybuilders are stereotyped with... And that's what a lot of people don't like. So... Maybe trying not to feed that stereotype would help you avoid any exposure to "despisal"

I called no one a name, nor have I judged physiques.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's because some use steroids and are promoting a very unhealthy and unreal image of the male/female body.
    The big gym I used to go to had tons of body builders and the staff kept complaining about needles in the bathroom and locker rooms so I'm guessing most body builders use HGH or steroids...

I personally believe that if you have to use steroids to win competitions then you don't deserve the win and you're belittling and showing disrespect to the hard working people who play by the rules and do it naturally. Also, if you need the steroids, you're not being healthy or into fitness.. you're doing drugs and are no different then drug addicts.

Im natural, and will always be. I'd rather compete in an untested fed against those who are open about what they do, rather than a natural fed with cheaters. People who use still have to work damn hard for their physiques.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to think how many bodybuilders I was aware of or saw either in real life or on the TV as a kid. My perception may be skewed as I spent 5 days a week gymnastics training so wasn't really watching much telly. Apart from Gladiators which was essential viewing. And I think those were the only ones I actually knew but they were actually mostly former athletes.

I don't think I saw any in real life in the weights room we'd sometimes do some conditioning in (gym training was in a local sports centre, well, two sports centres).

Oh and of course doormen/bouncers were quite often pretty built. So I do think the number of builders is more prevalent now but I would think that would make them less noticeable or head turning, as it's more normal to see?

tumblr_nevjdzD4F41ref5mqo1_500.jpg

-vs-

phil-heath-kai-greene-720x500.jpg

I wouldn't call anything about the physiques of today's top bodybuilders "normal".

p.s. here's what i mean in my original comment. I don't think anyone would be shocked or head turning seeing the first guy. tell me what you think about the second.

Natural%2BBodybuilding.jpg

vs.

rich-pieana-seo-oil.jpg

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

-vs-

I wouldn't call anything about the physiques of today's top bodybuilders "normal".

I should have said normalised, which is what I meant, more than what the average Joe can achieve naturally.
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a number of body builder friends, so I go on record saying I do not despise bodybuilders as a whole.

That said, I have seen /experienced a lot of aggression and rudeness coming from those who are heavily involved in the sport.

Case in point... On this two page thread, a number of varying body types replied, and it was the self-professed bodybuilders who were calling names (cardio monkey) and judging body types (fat, skinny, noshape, beanpoles, etc)

Though... Once the name calling started, many jumped in.

That aggressive attitude and disrespectful behavior is what bodybuilders are stereotyped with... And that's what a lot of people don't like. So... Maybe trying not to feed that stereotype would help you avoid any exposure to "despisal"

I called no one a name, nor have I judged physiques.

Nor did I accuse you of doing so. I didn't state that every BB name called, but the OP and another fellow BBer did.

I have significant respect for people who devote the time to their craft and working on their bodies. I enjoy doing the same. Where the stereotypes for BBers come into play relate to areas of aggression and tendencies to narcissism. If those are supported by some, then it degrades the entire sport.

It's like saying all pitbulls are bad because some have attacked. It's not truth, but the more attacks there are, the more it starts sounding truthful.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Does his body naturally produce tren? Let's be real y'all.

Absolute gold!
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

-vs-

p.s. here's what i mean in my original comment. I don't think anyone would be shocked or head turning seeing the first guy. tell me what you think about the second.

Natural%2BBodybuilding.jpg

vs.

rich-pieana-seo-oil.jpg

That top guy, though...
    (in both comparisons)

All have amazing and remarkable physiques.