Space

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hard to imagine, but if you went to the beach and grabbed a handful of sand, each grain would signify a star in just our galaxy alone. Now imagine if you were told that the Universe's stars outnumber EVERY GRAIN OF SAND ON EARTH.

And there are about as many planets as stars.

Does this mean a lot of stars do not have planets? :'(
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Milky Way

5o73jr82jek2.jpg

Wow, it looks like it's on fire. Though technically I guess stars are :D
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here is my gist - please enlighten me of my misinformation :)
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Does this mean a lot of stars do not have planets? :'(

The only “answers” I can find are on physics forums, (I never imagined myself perusing a physics forum, lol, but I was curious too )

the lay-gist I got was:

- apparently it is a very difficult question
    - Stars are likely to have planets
    - hard to say for certain, it’s difficult to prove that a star doesn’t have a planet
    - don’t have the technology to say for certain – the stars' planets may not be detectable, (there are a few different reasons for this)

Good question...every star should have some planets right?

My lay-gist info says yes, in brief because of the way they both are formed

Are there any reasons a star wouldn't have planets?

- the star could have had a planet but something happened and it is no longer there (there are a few different reasons)
    - possibly the stars close to the black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy don’t have planets (anymore I'm guessing?) because of their proximity to the black hole (I’m guessing?)
    - I also read something about how the first stars didn’t have planets ‘till later generations of stars had more metal elements in them, and then the stars could have planets
    - I read a suggestion that a Blue Giant would make having a planet difficult or very hard to detect

Note: There are planets that don’t have stars - this is an easy to understand overview
    science.howstuffworks.com/planet-exist-without-host-star.htm
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    This VIS image shows a portion of a sand sheet with surface dune forms on the floor of an unnamed crater in Noachis Terra of Mars.

4tk02p6u05eb.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    The international Space Station (ISS) passes over South America showing Argentina, and the Southern Andes. This angled image of the ISS Solar Arrays frames the Earth scene taken by astronauts of Expedition 50.

uk8bhyq4816x.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    The image was taken in green light with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Jan. 18, 2017. The view was acquired at a distance of approximately 630,000 miles (1 million kilometers) from Saturn.

4lz3wh00jz5b.jpg

Although only a sliver of Saturn's sunlit face is visible in this view, the mighty gas giant planet still dominates the view. From this vantage point just beneath the ring plane, the dense B ring becomes dark and essentially opaque, letting almost no light pass through. But some light reflected by the planet passes through the less dense A ring, which appears above the B ring in this photo. The C ring, silhouetted just below the B ring, lets almost all of Saturn's reflected light pass right through it, as if it were barely there at all. The F ring appears as a bright arc in this image, which is visible against both the backdrop of Saturn and the dark sky. This view looks toward the unilluminated side of the rings from about 7 degrees below the ring plane.
  • cee134
    Options
    Astronaut Edward White during first EVA performed during Gemini 4 flight

0ietu4djpg5d.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    A Sneak Peek into Saheki Secret Layers (Mars)

p9t2x8d2jemo.jpg

This image from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is of Saheki Crater, about 84 kilometers across, and located in the Southern highlands of Mars, to the north of Hellas Planitia. It's filled with beautiful alluvial fans that formed when water (likely melting snow) carried fine material, such as sand, silt and mud, from the interior crater rim down to the bottom of the crater. Two smaller craters impacted into the alluvial fan surface in Saheki, excavating holes that allow us to see what the fans look like beneath the surface. Exposed along the crater's interior walls, we can see that the fan is made up of multiple individual layers (white and purple tones in the enhanced color image) that were deposited on the floor (the green and brown tones). The brown, circular shapes on the fan layers are small impact craters.
  • cee134
    Options
    g1wlxmu6q9cr.jpg

The International Space Station continues its orbit around the Earth as Expedition 50 astronauts captured this night image of sparkling cities and a sliver of daylight framing the northern hemisphere.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    One of the earth-like planets around Trappist-1 has been found to have a water containing atmosphere. Having an atmosphere and having water on a rocky planet are two huge signs that it could house life the way we know it.

Omg!! This is so exciting! What if they really do find life?!?
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    The TRAPPIST-1 star may be too volatile to support life on its planets :disappointed:

https://www.universetoday.com/134882/trappist-1-showing-bit-much-flare/

"The study, which is from the Konkoly Observatory and was led by astronomer Krisztián Vida, suggests that TRAPPIST-1 flares too frequently and too powerfully to allow life to form on its planets."

I read a bit about Trappist-1 after you posted that info on Friday, and solar flares being a problem. I didn't even consider our sun having them!

Thanks for posting this link :)
    The video in the link is so interesting, I have never heard of the Carrington Event before. So in the video Fraser said solar storms like the Carrington event are estimated to happen twice in a millennium...estimated...so is there no way of knowing or predicting if and when one will happen?

An Aurora like he was describing would be amazing to see.

I can not imagine what that would do to our modern day world, I don't know what to do with myself when the internet/cable or electricity goes out at home, lol. I keep meaning to buy a new paperback book for those times.

• IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Unless you're Jamiroquai - space should be illegal to even think about. That space cowboy is covering all of it on our behalf. Carrington? You mean Brian Charrington? He's back again, now. Daddy says he's had enough of Brian's insolence. Rumour has it that labradors no longer like his ilk (Charrington's). Might be a Northern thing but he is going away and has been dropped without labrador support that he has benefited from for 20 years.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    The TRAPPIST-1 star may be too volatile to support life on its planets :disappointed:

https://www.universetoday.com/134882/trappist-1-showing-bit-much-flare/

"The study, which is from the Konkoly Observatory and was led by astronomer Krisztián Vida, suggests that TRAPPIST-1 flares too frequently and too powerfully to allow life to form on its planets."

This is BS!!! :angry: :angry:
  • cee134
    Options
    Navigation Image of Ceres

53plk5zfnh9z.jpg

NASA's Dawn spacecraft took this picture on its way to a new orbit, at an altitude of about 30,000 miles (48,300 kilometers), as part of a series of images intended to help the navigation of the spacecraft relative to Ceres. The image was taken on March 28, 2017. Several familiar features can be identified: At the top, we see Occator Crater and its faculae (bright deposits identified as a mixture of sodium carbonate and other salts). Below center is the crater Urvara, and to the right of it, the larger crater Yalode (the third and second largest craters on Ceres, respectively). Large-scale faults called Samhain Catenae stretch from the Occator region toward the Yalode-Urvara region. The spacecraft will settle into a new orbit that will allow it to observe Ceres in opposition at the end of April 2017, when Dawn is directly between the sun and the Occator bright spots, at an altitude of about 12,400 miles (20,000 kilometers).
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I heard there is an asteroid coming near earth. Should we get Bruce Willis prepped?