Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    antdelsa wrote: »
    It definitely matters, it matters in sooooo many ways. Not every calorie is equal number one, eating "junk" is not going to be burned as fast as healthy whole foods that are easily digested and metabolized for the body to use.

Also macros are great but micro nutrients are also very important not to mention timing your macros to get the most effecient use of both micro and macro nutrients.

"Clean" eating and "junk" eating aren't arbitrary terms.. eating clean is eating food that is grown in the ground or had a life at some point, junk eating is processed foods, foods filled with garbage and preservatives... these things have a substantial role in weight loss, weight gain, muscle building etc. Regardless what your goals are its always better to eat clean whole foods,but with that said its also ok to indulge from time to time in moderation this doesn't mean every day or even every week. Results are primarily from nutrition and rest, exercise is the smallest part of the equation

I have a question: when McDonald's makes an Egg McMuffin, do they go through each ingredient with a special tool to strip the nutrients off? Why is a homemade egg in butter on a muffin with canadian bacon and cheese nutritious and clean but Egg McMuffin isn't? Taste preferences aside, it's basically the same thing.

Preservatives number one just to be brief.... think about what a preservative is, its function.. now tell me do you think your body is going to break that down and digest it then metabolize it as fast as food without preservatives? Definitely wont, we weren't made to process those added chemicals so our bodies take longer to utilize those types of foods as fuel which is all food is. Which is why there's carbs that are better than others, meats that are better than others so on and so forth, some foods are more effecient than others.

Example - Simple carbs are amazing after a workout because of their effect on your body when its in that state, simple carbs otherwise are no good and will more than likely be stored as energy (fat)

With all due respect, might I suggest taking a basic physics course? Learn what efficiency means. Then try applying it to your statement above. You'll find - if you're willing to learn - that what you posted is entirely incorrect.

Just a quick synopsis of what you'll learn: the more efficient something is, the less energy it uses. If it uses less energy, there will be more energy left over - in this case, that has to be stored. As such, the "clean" foods that are supposedly more efficient for the body to digest/process? Calories from those foods are more likely to be stored as fat.

Oh, I missed this one from antdelsa before. Agreed on the efficiency point. To go on about it even more, the ironic thing is that while I don't go for "bad" and "good" carbs, the "good" carbs are normally the ones we digest and "processed" more slowly, due to the presence of fiber. The ones we digest most efficiently are refined carbs and especially sugar. Which is why people doing endurance sports might supplement with things like gels that are essentially all sugar. (So does that make my Clif Shots and Gu I'm practicing with as part of marathon training extra clean! Who would have thought it, them being all processed and all. Similarly, one of the reasons some bro types are so into whey protein and the like is that it's processed quickly (probably more so than white fish). Similarly, it's why the nutrition timing stuff pushes protein plus easily digested carbs (i.e., more processed carbs, normally) post workout.) Like I said before, not sure why this is supposed to be an argument for "clean eating."

Re preservatives, super common preservatives include salt. Your body knows how to deal with salt quite well, especially if you exercise. Another is vinegar -- anything pickled is preserved. So is anything smoked. Can my body not deal with smoked salmon? (That's a rhetorical question, as of course it can.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Ways to look good after a cut:

1. Eat enough protein
    2. Lift heavy things
    3. Do both consistently.

4. Maintain a small deficit (relative to your body fat) so as not to overtax your body's ability to fuel you deficit from your fat stores.
  • JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are generalizing. I literally lost weight by eating junk food and sweets lol ! Is it healthy ? No , but thats the only way I could do it. Junk food and sweets are what satisfy me and if I dont have them , I end up overeating. Clean eating is boring for me and does not make me feel full AT ALL. I exercise just because I enjoy it and since I enjoy it , I look forward to it everyday. Same with food. Life is too short to eat foods which you dont like and people's tastes are all different . :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Whats overly complicated about eating whole healthy foods? Whats complicated about learning simple nutritional timing?

Its more complicated to continue to eat garbage and try to sort out why you're still struggling with weight issues quite honestly

I didn't post that article with the intention of plagiarism is was 5 in the morning i used quotations and just simply forgot to add the reference, sheesh

Look do what you guys want, if it works for you great, I've never seen more people in my life who claim to be healthy but are so quick to jump down someones neck for saying to eat healthy and clean.

Steak is a great source of protein but in context to my example white fish is digested faster and the nutrients are bioavailable much faster than what a steak would be ...

Not sure what other ridiculous questions have been thrown out here as there are sooo many people who took this opportunity to make am excuse as to why its ok for them to continue to not eat a cleam diet ...

Adherence is very important i get that, consistency is key but having discipline and will power to say no to foods you know aren't going to be the best option are part of this journey, its not about making this easy and all about doing it the right way. I prefer to do things the most efficient and productive way for the most optimal results if thats not your thing then disregard but don't jump down my throat for telling people to eat clean when we all know its the better option, if you have issues being disciplined and sticking with a clean diet thats your issue, but don't make it seem like its impossible to avoid garbage and is soooo hard to do, that defeatist attitude from the beginning is why people fail, I'd rather someone know its possible and can be done and for doing it they will achieve much better results in a shorter period of time. Not one person in here can tell me that a clean diet isn't a better choice its absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise, and taking advice on this subject from some of you is like taking financial advice from a homeless person, consider the source. How many of you who oppose what I'm saying are still struggling and how many of you can truly and honestly say you have the body you dream of .... you may be happy with your results but lets be honest with ourselves I'm sure there's some room for approvement

Given my appearance, my running performance, how I feel, and the results of my annual physicals, I don't think I'm making excuses when I say it's okay for me to not eat "clean."

In fact, I don't see anybody making "excuses" for how they eat. You failing to make a case for "clean eating" doesn't mean that those who accordingly reject your opinion are making excuses.

I didn't fail to make a case for it, whats being said is just being ignored. Answers may not be what people want to hear but it doesn't mean they aren't true.

Simply put, a clean diet of whole foods is and will always be the better choice. The source and the quality of food you eat makes a difference and plays a part in how your body will respond. Weight loss is not as linear as calories in vs calories out , which is the most basic premise and a great starting point but there's so much more to it than that, this is not opinion it is fact. Nutrient timing can aid in the efficiency of weight loss and although some may see it as insignificant to their goals thats not to say that it can't be effective towards them. Every little bit counts especially when it comes to my health but idk maybe thats just me, honestly having some food i know will possibly hinder my goals isn't worth me setting myself back, I've worked too hard and have too much discipline and will power to throw it away just to indulge on some snacks or food that isn't the best option for me, all for what? Temporary happiness? Lol seriously if you need food that bad to make you happy and cannot find anything else in that moment to make you happier than you have issues, food is fuel its not a source of euphoria.

Food is euphoric though! What a boring life if one can't eat delicious food. Life's too short. Live a little.

Food it euphoric to some, to others it's fine, needed to survive but not needed for intense excitement and happiness (the definition of euphoric).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Whats overly complicated about eating whole healthy foods? Whats complicated about learning simple nutritional timing?

Its more complicated to continue to eat garbage and try to sort out why you're still struggling with weight issues quite honestly

I didn't post that article with the intention of plagiarism is was 5 in the morning i used quotations and just simply forgot to add the reference, sheesh

Look do what you guys want, if it works for you great, I've never seen more people in my life who claim to be healthy but are so quick to jump down someones neck for saying to eat healthy and clean.

Steak is a great source of protein but in context to my example white fish is digested faster and the nutrients are bioavailable much faster than what a steak would be ...

Not sure what other ridiculous questions have been thrown out here as there are sooo many people who took this opportunity to make am excuse as to why its ok for them to continue to not eat a cleam diet ...

Adherence is very important i get that, consistency is key but having discipline and will power to say no to foods you know aren't going to be the best option are part of this journey, its not about making this easy and all about doing it the right way. I prefer to do things the most efficient and productive way for the most optimal results if thats not your thing then disregard but don't jump down my throat for telling people to eat clean when we all know its the better option, if you have issues being disciplined and sticking with a clean diet thats your issue, but don't make it seem like its impossible to avoid garbage and is soooo hard to do, that defeatist attitude from the beginning is why people fail, I'd rather someone know its possible and can be done and for doing it they will achieve much better results in a shorter period of time. Not one person in here can tell me that a clean diet isn't a better choice its absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise, and taking advice on this subject from some of you is like taking financial advice from a homeless person, consider the source. How many of you who oppose what I'm saying are still struggling and how many of you can truly and honestly say you have the body you dream of .... you may be happy with your results but lets be honest with ourselves I'm sure there's some room for approvement

Given my appearance, my running performance, how I feel, and the results of my annual physicals, I don't think I'm making excuses when I say it's okay for me to not eat "clean."

In fact, I don't see anybody making "excuses" for how they eat. You failing to make a case for "clean eating" doesn't mean that those who accordingly reject your opinion are making excuses.

I didn't fail to make a case for it, whats being said is just being ignored. Answers may not be what people want to hear but it doesn't mean they aren't true.

Simply put, a clean diet of whole foods is and will always be the better choice. The source and the quality of food you eat makes a difference and plays a part in how your body will respond. Weight loss is not as linear as calories in vs calories out , which is the most basic premise and a great starting point but there's so much more to it than that, this is not opinion it is fact. Nutrient timing can aid in the efficiency of weight loss and although some may see it as insignificant to their goals thats not to say that it can't be effective towards them. Every little bit counts especially when it comes to my health but idk maybe thats just me, honestly having some food i know will possibly hinder my goals isn't worth me setting myself back, I've worked too hard and have too much discipline and will power to throw it away just to indulge on some snacks or food that isn't the best option for me, all for what? Temporary happiness? Lol seriously if you need food that bad to make you happy and cannot find anything else in that moment to make you happier than you have issues, food is fuel its not a source of euphoria.

Food is euphoric though! What a boring life if one can't eat delicious food. Life's too short. Live a little.

Food it euphoric to some, to others it's fine, needed to survive but not needed for intense excitement and happiness (the definition of euphoric).

Did I use the wrong word? My bad. Food is intense and makes me happy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    When i say burger its in reference to fast food, McDonalds, burger king etc. I eat healthy burgers from time to time, turkey or even 93/7 grass fed beef .. but thats a clean option opposed to getting McDonalds simply because its in my calorie and macro budget, totally disregarding cholesterol, sodium, fats, etc.

Here. Read up and enjoy, you may even find it educational: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    When i say burger its in reference to fast food, McDonalds, burger king etc. I eat healthy burgers from time to time, turkey or even 93/7 grass fed beef .. but thats a clean option opposed to getting McDonalds simply because its in my calorie and macro budget, totally disregarding cholesterol, sodium, fats, etc.

Here. Read up and enjoy, you may even find it educational: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

So I'm not accused of plagiarism again lol ... that was a good read though thank you, check that link out that may prove educational as well
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options

Nothing complicated about eating whole healthy foods - if that is what people want to do. Not neccescary for weight loss though.
    What is neccesary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Not neccescary in a healthy diet to eliminate treats, processed foods, preservatives etc either.

And not seeing that people who eat what you call garbage are struggling any more with weight loss either. Indeed all the long timers in this thread have been successful without your extremist approach ( myself included)

And, no, people don't need an excuse to not eat clean.
    They are not eating clean because they see it as unneccesary arbitrary nonsense

I don't think the long timers who oppose what you are saying are still struggling at all - your whole smug sanctimonious closing paragraph is based on a false premise.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    I'm not spewing some illogical broscience, I've done my due diligence on the subject. People are so caught up in whats familiar or what the general consensus is that they just totally negate any shred of evidence I've provided and albeit my approach may not be the best but i don't coddle people when it comes to fitness, obviously discipline and will power are key issues for people who struggle with weight and sometimes things need to be said how they are, it may not be the asnwer people are looking for but no one is going to tell me its not the truth ... to me the eat what you want approach is just an excuse for not holding yourself accountable because "its too hard to be so restricted" "i have to have cookies and burgers and cakes or else i won't stick to my diet" .... lmao wtf
  • antdelsa
    Options

Nothing complicated about eating whole healthy foods - if that is what people want to do. Not neccescary for weight loss though.
    What is neccesary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Not neccescary in a healthy diet to eliminate treats, processed foods, preservatives etc either.

And not seeing that people who eat what you call garbage are struggling any more with weight loss either. Indeed all the long timers in this thread have been successful without your extremist approach ( myself included)

And, no, people don't need an excuse to not eat clean.
    They are not eating clean because they see it as unneccesary arbitrary nonsense

I don't think the long timers who oppose what you are saying are still struggling at all - your whole smug sanctimonious closing paragraph is based on a false premise.

You obviously didn't read the article i posted ... and just to quickly touch on deficit.. why is it then when someone doesn't eat enough they gain weight? The body holds on to that energy right as a survival mechanism... so it can't be as simple as calories in vs out because the body isn't thay simple ... read the article though, tons of great info in there that might actually make you realize how i could possibly have a point lol
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through the article - is mostly opinion and is certainly not a peer reviewed scientific study, as posters were requesting.

And really? You have now moved on to claiming starvation mode type nonsense?????

No, the body does not gain weight when you don't eat enough - everyone in famines or POW camps would be overweight if that were the case :s
  • antdelsa
    Options
    I skimmed through the article - is mostly opinion and is certainly not a peer reviewed scientific study, as posters were requesting.

And really? You have now moved on to claiming starvation mode type nonsense?????

No, the body does not gain weight when you don't eat enough - everyone in famines or POW camps would be overweight if that were the case :s

You're kidding right? ... i quit lmao have a great night
  • antdelsa
    Options
    There are literally 15 links to studies, reviews and journals in the article, maybe if you read it opposed to skimming through it you would have seen that ... and to say you don't store energy when at a low deficit is one if the most ridiculous statements ever, your body will hold onto whatever energy source it has coming in and use it sparingly because it does not have an consistent and or adequate amount coming in... I'm not talking about prisoners and people who literally have no food to eat I'm talking about people who go at waay too low of a deficit thinking they will lose more weight because ...you know ... calories in vs calories out lmao
  • antdelsa
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    why is it then when someone doesn't eat enough they gain weight?

They don't. There are a billion impoverished people living in genuine conditions of scarcity who can show you that they don't.

So yes, this is illogical broscience right there.

Interesting... so the lowered energy expenditure, slower metabolism and what we call plateaus are just bro science, my example isn't of impovershed conditions so please stop taking it out of context and going to the extreme, its in relation to the person who thinks eating at 1000 calorie deficit will equate to more weight loss and now they are eating way lower cals than they should, this person will not have any sustained weight loss, the body will slow down to save energy and depending on the food thats coming in they can store fat, lose muscle and be worse off than when they started ... search through the forum plenty of examples of this very thing, the " i don't know whats happening" posts " help gaining weight and don't know why" ..... i digress though, lol hey if its bro science then thats cool because everything ive done to this point has worked