Dukan it out !!! - The Dukan Diet

Options
Hi! I am on Day 10 of The Dukan Diet and have lost 10lbs. I feel energetic, healthy and slimmer! Anyone else enjoying success with this book so far? I love it, let's talk about it!!

Replies

• wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    what is the Dukan Diet?
  • Tayla_Grant
    Tayla_Grant Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it! Please fill me in. Also, is it the kind of diet you could make a lifestyle out of, or just a phase? Thanks!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have read about this and thought that it sounded like something I could follow quite easily. Having read your comments I am tempted to go and buy the book!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The Dukan Diet is basically a high protein, very low carb, ketogenic type diet. It is different than Atkins because it also is low in fat and greatly limits food choice. The goal of this diet is to cause the dieter's body to burn ketone's produced by the breakdown of body fat instead of carbohydrates which are the body's primary fuel source.

The Dukan Diet Consists of 4 Phases

1.The Attack Phase- This initial part requires the dieter to eat nothing but lean protein for 1 to 10 days depending on how much weight needs to be lost. They can season the protein with non-fat seasonings and also are required to eat 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oat bran each day.
    2.The Cruise Phase- This part of Dukan requires dieters to alternate all protein days with protein and non starch vegetable days. This is continued until goal weight is reached.
    3.The Consolidation Phase- Once goal weight is achieved the dieter will continue to eat protein and vegetables, but may add some fruit and whole grains. One "celebration meal" is allowed each week.
    4.The Stabilization Phase- This part is ongoing and dieters may eat whatever they like while following the rules of the Consolidation Phase as a basis. One day a week dieters should eat nothing but protein.
    Dukan Diet Foods
    There are 100 foods the dieter can choose from while on the Dukan Diet. 72 are from animal sources and 28 are from plant sources. Some of the foods include; fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef, fat-free yogurt, onions, mustard, green vegetables, oat bran, stevia, coffee, tea, and diet soda.

Exercise
    Pierre Dukan is a strong advocate of exercise and considers it essential for being successful on his plan. Brisk walking is recommended for 20 minutes each day and increased to 30 minutes in the Cruise Phase.

Taken from www.freedieting.com 18/07/2011

To me it sounds like the Atkins which I dont really advocate because muscles need carbs and the heart is a muscle.
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Herb put it well, there are 4 phases and it is very low-carb. I had a couple days of low energy in the first phase, but feel wonderful now! There is no restriction of quantity, so when I'm hungry, I grab some cottage cheese and I'm good! I only eat fish, no pork/chicken/beef, so, in particular, my choices are limited, but it doesn't bother me, so far.

I lost 2 lbs prior to starting this book by cutting my portions and watching junk food. I lost 4 lbs in 5 days in Phase 1. (I have 25 to lose total.) I am now in Phase 2 and have lost 4 more. I don't feel starved, lethargic or like I'm doing my body a diservice. I feel heathy and GOOD!! I realize a zero-carb lifestyle is not a permanent thing, but for now, it's working and I am enjoying my meals and how I feel after I eat.

I am not an expert on this diet, but would be happy to answer any other questions.

Oh, I forgot. You do eat a couple tbsp. oat bran each day, to 'keep things moving'. I haven't bought any yet, but will soon. You can mix it with ff greek yogurt or make a little pancake.
  • L568
    L568 Posts: 15
    Options
    I just finished Day 1! I stopped logging on MFP for the first time in about 2 months over this past weekend. I just read about the Dukan diet, did a little research, and decided to try it. I've never tried a restrictive diet like this before, but I figured it might be something new and fun to try, even if I don't stick to it.

The only thing that I'm afraid of is the sustainability. I'm a college student--when I go back to school in the fall it's back to partying every weekend, late night studying, etc. Will all of the weight lost on the DD just pile right back on?? I feel like the 7 lbs I've lost over 2 months from logging on MFP are really going to stay off. With the DD, I'm just not so sure.
  • Erin_26
    Options
    Hi L5, Congrats on starting!

I would say, unfortunately, yes. If you just go back to your regular lifestyle, the weight will come back on. This 'diet' is different because it doesn't leave you high and dry after you've lost the weight. It holds your hand through 2 more phases while your body adjusts to its new 'normal' weight. If you don't do these phases, your body will naturally try to gain the weight it has lost. You have to train it to adjust to your True Weight.

This would not be easy for some, I'm sure. But let me stress that I am a carb/chocolate-aholic to the extreme. I could not go a day without DYING for something sweet, carb-loaded. I have cruised through 10 days so far and have NO cravings. This is absolutely amazing to me and why I feel strongly that this book is the key to freedom from excess weight.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of the Dukan diet and I all ready screwed up twice! Yesterday was day one and I didn't eat enough and got cranky. WOund up eating Atkins bars and whipped cream because I was soooo under in calories (about 500 short ) and way over in sodium!
    Day 2 I screwed up because I grabbed a low fat yogurt from the fridge not fat free! ARGH!
    Do I have to start all over?
  • Erin_26
    Options
    You don't HAVE to. I probably would because I'm an anal perfectionist.

You've just started, so I would suggest a do-over... but I would first stock your fridge with loads of good fat-free/lean protein options and get some oat bran. It's easy to make the right choices when your fridge is full of them. :smile:
  • ttheriot
    ttheriot Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am reading the book now, and am excited to get started, probably on Monday, or as soon as I can go to the store and get what I need. Reading these posts give me hope that I can stick to this diet. I've always done better with lower carb diets.
  • Erin_26
    Options
    TheRiot - I am someone who generally lacks motivation when the first sign of cookie comes around. But I am on Day 15 and still going very strong!! Had a planned cheat this weekend, a few drinks, but straight back on the wagon and still lost half a lb this week.

I say go for it and I am always here if you have questions. I think this book is amazing, I read a bit every night to stay excited and motivated. Love Dr. Dukan!!
  • jamaicaqueen24
    jamaicaqueen24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep going, don't give up! Day two for me on the diet.
  • sonpari24
    sonpari24 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i have searched it on inet...what i found was that as it is high protein diet it can increase ur level of uric acid(related to ur kidney)
    n u also need to check ur cholestrol levels as u take high fats....i think so u shud consult ur doctor before goin on this diet as he can look an eye on ur results:)
    good luck
  • ttheriot
    ttheriot Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Day one was GREAT! 3 pounds lost! Amazing! Then day 2...on my way home for lunch, my subdivision was blocked by a 3 car accident, so my son asked to go to a Mexican restaurant. I was thinking I would just eat the meat from fajitas, but then they brought the chips and salsa...and well...

Today, I'm back on track! Had a Great day, but I can't say that it is easy. I would really like more variety, but I can handle 10 days!
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So happy that my weight has started to come off again! I was on a low carb diet before but I think this is giving my body the kick in the *kitten* it needs! I'm 0.6 lbs away from my half way mark! Super excited! After that my next goal is onederland!
  • khinkle44
    khinkle44 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been on the Dukan Diet for 3 1/2 weeks so far.... I get so excited when I step on the scale and the number keeps going down... It might not be a very big drop but hey any decrease is good to me.... When I first started the diet I would get cranky because all I thought about was what I wanted to eat but couldn't have (pizza, a burger, tacos, a burrito, french fries, ice cream).... But maybe that is why I got to the weight I was at.... Anyways, this diet is something that I will defenitely keep going with.... Good Luck to everyone doing it!!!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    i have searched it on inet...what i found was that as it is high protein diet it can increase ur level of uric acid(related to ur kidney)
    n u also need to check ur cholestrol levels as u take high fats....i think so u shud consult ur doctor before goin on this diet as he can look an eye on ur results:)
    good luck

Actually it's a low fat diet. And You are meant to drink tons of water to make sure you don't get kidney problems.
  • Erin_26
    Options
    Very low-fat indeed. Certainly no cholesterol worries, I would think.

I am on Day 20 and have officially lost 10 lbs since starting Dukan. Happy Happy Joy Joy!!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I am a wimp. I don't want to go through the carb-flu-thingy :( this is what turned me off about the Atkins diet. After the third day on Atkins I was still feeling ill. I just couldn't bare going through UP TO 2 weeks of feeling that way. Any advice on how to avoid those symptoms and if you had the symptoms how long did they last?
  • Erin_26
    Options
    Hi Change_Happens,

I had a swing of major low energy for the first 5 days during Attack Phase 1. The advice I can offer is to take it very easy on exercise, rest/sleep as much as possible, take warm baths and just generally take it easy because your body is adjusting to this new way of eating.

I had strong motivation because my Mother-in-law was supporting me through Phase 1, as she is using this book as well. She told me the energy would come back and it absolutely did, after Day 5 (when I started Cruise Phase).

Changing the way you eat is never completely easy, but I must say, I find the Dukan diet very enjoyable and easy to follow.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

E.