Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Here are a couple of sites geared toward tracking a child's nutrition. The first site uses a method called the "Stop Light"...no calorie counting. The second site has print outs to help teach children about foods and serving sizes. The printouts are geared toward elementary age children.

https://kurbo.com/why-kids-and-teens-should-not-be-counting-calories/

http://www.nourishinteractive.com/nutrition-education-printables/category/44-printable-tracker-food-diaries-kids-healthy-goals-tracking-sheets-new
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2017
    ana_varn wrote: »
    ana_varn wrote: »
    First: Why eat nuts when you don't have enough calories left? Like wth!!!? That's the most ridiculous thing, it's absurd.

Second: You did well contacting the school. Make sure that the meeting will be provided with what you say here. Explain yourself. Kids shouldn't worry about calories, they only have to know the basics (at this age) of good nutrition and benefits of consuming different healthy foods. Varied diet is the best. What that teacher did was a mistake.

Third: Take your child to therapy or counselling or something you can afford that provides him with support. Don't let him battle this on his own and you, the parents, aren't enough in this. I know this for a fact because I am young and when I was a teenager I struggled with my mental health significantly. Not an ED but OCD. I would also binge and purge but only in difficult and stressful situations so the therapist would rather call it a "bulimic episode". Don't fear medications because if he has to take them it won't be forever. They helped me majorly and I took them for a little over a year. With the therapy I can handle this mental *kitten* better and cope by myself.

Key point: your sweet child shouldn't suffer, therapy can help him. My mother had to see that her help wasn't enough yet it was with her help that I got to have these issues hugely managed with the assistance of therapy. You and your husband know the suffering of a mental disorder and so did my mom (also OCD).

The most basic part of nutrition is the amount of it that someone consumes. That alone will determine whether one is under weight, healthy weight, or over weight.

Yes of course but when it comes to school and delivered in the way the woman who started the topic said, it's when it becomes wrong. What kids should know is that: eat when hungry, stop when full. That's when the kid will learn to not use food as a substance for pleasure or filling a void or creating a void inside. 12 year olds concerned with counting calories seems to be going too far.

If they can't teach this correctly in schools then it's better not to teach it at all. At least it's something you can learn at home. You know, forming habits that won't make you end up counting calories for weight loss in the end.

What schools could teach is the nutrition of different foods and teach the kids to embrace healthier foods. Just because one can look healthy on the outside, it doesn't mean that one will look as healthy on the inside.

"Eat when hungry, stop when full" is what landed most of us here to begin with.

Intuitive eating, when really paying attention to satiety cues, has been helpful for many trying to lose weight. However, very few people are accustomed to being this attuned to hunger cues/fullness cues. Hence calorie counting as mainstream among those looking to lose weight. For children, I think intuitive and healthy eating are enough, and then, as they get older, they can consider counting calories if intuitive eating is too hard. Just my opinion.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Why doesn't she just teach the portion plate?

With that being said I don't know how to teach kids that donuts, poptarts, chips, candy, pizza etc are "junk" without teaching them to look at the label and see how many calories are in the food.

This suggests that the deciding factor of if something is "junk" or not, is how many calories are in it. There are plenty of calorie dense Whole Foods as well, the nuts that the teacher ate, things like avocado, banana, etc - could have more calories than a serving of chips or a piece of candy.

Additionally, why is pizza "junk"? I'm actually trying to avoid labeling food "junk" with my kids. I'm trying to teach them that foods have different nutritional content and that some things should be reserved as treats, but really any food can be part of a healthy diet if eaten in moderation.

Nicely said!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Here are a couple of sites geared toward tracking a child's nutrition. The first site uses a method called the "Stop Light"...no calorie counting. The second site has print outs to help teach children about foods and serving sizes. The printouts are geared toward elementary age children.

http://www.nourishinteractive.com/nutrition-education-printables/category/44-printable-tracker-food-diaries-kids-healthy-goals-tracking-sheets-new

While it's not calorie counting per se this system is just removing absolute numbers from the calculation, It is still "budgeting" food. Not that I find anything wrong with this, Believe it's a good concept for younger kids, jr high, IMO are old enough to develop an understanding of calories and the impact the wrong amount (high or low) has on their bodies.

From the link

At Kurbo, we don’t tell kids that they can never eat their favorite red light foods again. We teach them to budget their red-light foods, so they don’t eat too many of them on any one given day. Say, for example, your family is going to a birthday party on a Friday. Your kids can use the Kurbo app to rebudget their reds, adding more reds on Friday (and fewer on other days of the week) to make sure they can eat pizza and cake and still meet their red-light goal for the week!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »

While it's not calorie counting per se this system is just removing absolute numbers from the calculation, It is still "budgeting" food. Not that I find anything wrong with this, Believe it's a good concept for younger kids, jr high, IMO are old enough to develop an understanding of calories and the impact the wrong amount (high or low) has on their bodies.

From the link

At Kurbo, we don’t tell kids that they can never eat their favorite red light foods again. We teach them to budget their red-light foods, so they don’t eat too many of them on any one given day. Say, for example, your family is going to a birthday party on a Friday. Your kids can use the Kurbo app to rebudget their reds, adding more reds on Friday (and fewer on other days of the week) to make sure they can eat pizza and cake and still meet their red-light goal for the week!

"Stop Light" sounds like simplified calorie counting because it is simplified calorie counting, much like Weight Watchers and their points system or "21 Day Fix" and the color coded containers. If a kid isn't great with arithmetic, simplifying it might be to their advantage, but thinking back about myself at age 11 (when I was learning basic algebra) I'd have definitely found that method too childish, much like today I'm not going to go for a special set of plastic containers when I can just count the actual calories.

It just seems like something that would work for six and seven year-olds, but any kid in a more advanced math class in middle school wouldn't need it to be that simplistic.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited April 2017
    I've just been doing my usual dose of people watching, as usual - away from home so, picking the better options in a restaurant..
    I've watched a handful of parents setting up their children with terrible habits for life by teaching them to finish everything on their plate, regardless of how full they are.
    Watching a child be told to finish what is clearly an ice-cream meant for sharing - no matter how full they are.

Something NEEDS doing because unfortunately for all the parents that are doing a great job at parenting, there are an equal number that are installing dangerous old fashioned values into their children and causing them to have a terrible relationship with food that - as so many people here know, is insanely difficult to break.

So, though - maybe the method that the teacher used wasn't appropriate, I fully support their reasoning.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2017

With that being said I don't know how to teach kids that donuts, poptarts, chips, candy, pizza etc are "junk" without teaching them to look at the label and see how many calories are in the food.

I know for me the "portion plate" wasn't the problem. I was eating the right portions of the right foods and having a balanced diet.

And then on top of that, because kids shouldn't count or limit calories, I was eating far too much other crap too. Because why not just tack that on if you have never been told about calories and that there's a limit to how many of them you should consume in a day. There was a single fundamental piece of information missing throughout my entire childhood, and that thing was an upper bound on calories in.

So no one told you that if you wanted to lose weight, don't take so much food?

You don't need to know anything about calories to know that. I knew that as a kid, but in the other direction. I was 'bird legs'. I needed to eat more.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member

This suggests that the deciding factor of if something is "junk" or not, is how many calories are in it. There are plenty of calorie dense Whole Foods as well, the nuts that the teacher ate, things like avocado, banana, etc - could have more calories than a serving of chips or a piece of candy.

Additionally, why is pizza "junk"? I'm actually trying to avoid labeling food "junk" with my kids. I'm trying to teach them that foods have different nutritional content and that some things should be reserved as treats, but really any food can be part of a healthy diet if eaten in moderation.

I consider junk food to be low in nutrients and high in calories. I see your point with pizza because it go either ways. For example, if you make pizza, you could use a whole grain crust with tomato sauce then top the pizza with lots of veggies and a small handful of cheese. There are lots of nutrients here and I would consider this healthy. When I look at the nutrition facts for a pizza from Papa Johns (different restaurants may vary) I don't see any nutrients. It is high in sodium, has some saturated fat, 1 gram of fiber, and 7 grams of protein. What nutrients is this pizza from a restaurant providing that you couldn't get from a lower calorie (and lower in sodium) source?

For high calorie foods like avocados or nuts, I don't consider them to be junk because they are high in nutrition but the need to be eaten in moderation. You can't get your poly and monounsaturated fats from any food that will be low in calories because fats by nature are high in calories.

• ugofatcat
    @WinoGelato here is an easy way to determine if something is healthy or not. Ask yourself, is this something I should be eating everyday? I think people should be eating fruits, vegetables, healthy fats in the form of nuts or avocado or oil, dairy, and whole grains, and lean protein everyday. I do not think people should be eating pizza everyday.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    @WinoGelato here is an easy way to determine if something is healthy or not. Ask yourself, is this something I should be eating everyday? I think people should be eating fruits, vegetables, healthy fats in the form of nuts or avocado or oil, dairy, and whole grains, and lean protein everyday. I do not think people should be eating pizza everyday.

I don't eat pizza every day, but I also don't consider it "junk" food. I eat a lot of the things you described, but I also don't avoid foods like cookies, chips, pizza, or donuts, in moderation; as part of an overall balanced and healthy diet. If an adult like me, or one of my children, is eating fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, dairy, whole grains and lean protein - then how is eating a donut before we go hiking on Sunday, or pizza on Friday nights while we watch a movie - 'unhealthy'? Before you said that you should look at how many calories are in something to determine if it is healthy or not, now you are saying that it's more about how often you eat it. Practicing moderation means that you don't eat unlimited quantities of calorie dense foods and only in a frequency that works within the context of a calorie and nutrient balanced diet. So again, if one is practicing moderation and eating other nutrient dense foods, then is a donut unhealthy? Is a cookie? A pop tart? Pizza? A serving of chips?
  • WinoGelato

I consider junk food to be low in nutrients and high in calories. I see your point with pizza because it go either ways. For example, if you make pizza, you could use a whole grain crust with tomato sauce then top the pizza with lots of veggies and a small handful of cheese. There are lots of nutrients here and I would consider this healthy. When I look at the nutrition facts for a pizza from Papa Johns (different restaurants may vary) I don't see any nutrients. It is high in sodium, has some saturated fat, 1 gram of fiber, and 7 grams of protein. What nutrients is this pizza from a restaurant providing that you couldn't get from a lower calorie (and lower in sodium) source?

For high calorie foods like avocados or nuts, I don't consider them to be junk because they are high in nutrition but the need to be eaten in moderation. You can't get your poly and monounsaturated fats from any food that will be low in calories because fats by nature are high in calories.

Why couldn't you order a pizza from Papa Johns (or Dominos or any other pizza place) and top it with lots of veggies? Wouldn't it have nutrients then? Does the fact that Papa Johns made the pizza suddenly negate any nutritional value in the pizza? I don't order from Papa Johns very often, but I often get Domino's and my pizza of choice is chicken, spinach, and roasted red pepper. When I make pizza at home, as I also often do, I make a thin crust with grilled chicken, spinach, artichokes and roasted red pepper. How is one acceptable from a nutrient standpoint, and one isn't?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I don't really think this is a good test, because it comes down to how you define the food and amounts. Should I be having cake everyday? Maybe not (I rarely have it, personally). Should I have dessert every day or a sweet every day, if I want to? Let's say it's a 50 cal piece of good chocolate or a cup of hot chocolate I like to have before bed or a glass of wine after dinner (just one). Problem?

I think that's similar to the healthy fat thing -- yes, you need healthy fats daily. Do most people need to be having avocado daily? Probably not. Would it hurt if it were a strong preference? Of course not.

Is steak junk food? I don't think so. Is it a good idea to eat it for dinner every evening? Probably not.

I wouldn't eat pizza every day because I'd be bored, but it's basically identical to pasta and can be as variable. If I were obsessed with it and varied between cheeseless and not, white and not, whole grain crust, cauliflower crust, quinoa based crust, portobella mushroom crust, etc., different protein-based toppings (shrimp, lean beef, chicken, proscuitto, even egg), a variety of veg, etc., why not. Good pizza places here (or just local Italian places) will often have a huge variety of ideas for types of pizza, you certainly could at home.
  • ugofatcat

Why couldn't you order a pizza from Papa Johns (or Dominos or any other pizza place) and top it with lots of veggies? Wouldn't it have nutrients then? Does the fact that Papa Johns made the pizza suddenly negate any nutritional value in the pizza? I don't order from Papa Johns very often, but I often get Domino's and my pizza of choice is chicken, spinach, and roasted red pepper. When I make pizza at home, as I also often do, I make a thin crust with grilled chicken, spinach, artichokes and roasted red pepper. How is one acceptable from a nutrient standpoint, and one isn't?

You could order a pizza from Papa Johns and add vegetables to it. You would be adding nutrition to it. But the pizza you are making at at home, you are getting just as much nutrition from it for less calories, saturated fat, and salt. When I had written my original post I was thinking restaurant pizza. I was thinking about an article I had read listing the top ten foods Americans eat and pizza was one of them.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I consider those foods junk because I do not feel that for all the calories they provide, they give adequate nutrition. I think people can work them into their diet and be healthy despite the fact they are eating those foods, not because of them. Do you believe eating a donut before a hike is healthy? Are you telling your kids, "It is healthy to have this donut before our hike"? Or is it something you enjoy doing and know that because you diet is overall very good and you are active you can work it in? Also, I am not saying I never eat those things. I eat those foods the foods I describe as junk because I enjoy them. But I don't for one second consider them healthy.

I am going to call those foods junk food because I work in health care (dietitian and going to nursing school). I see what the American diet is doing the American population. I had a kid pull a bag of Cheetos out of his pocket the other day that had 3.5 servings in it, so 560 calories. I am tired of working with kids who are prediabetic and have to take metformin, have fatty liver disease, and/or high cholesterol. No child should have to deal with these health problems. If you don't like that I call the foods you are eating junk, fine, but those foods are poisoning our population and I am going to call it like I see it.

I am looking at my original comment and I think I should have put more thought into it. I think kids should be taught to read nutrition facts, especially the serving size, to get a general idea of the calories in the food so they understand some foods are more calorically dense then others. There should also be a discussion of the nutrients in the food. What vitamins and minerals are we getting? Is this a food high in antioxidants and fiber? Healthy fats?

Finally, the word moderation means different things to different people. She is holding 2 cupcakes and considers this moderation.
    p66ndumlfxoa.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

I am going to call those foods junk food because I work in health care (dietitian and going to nursing school). I see what the American diet is doing the American population. I had a kid pull a bag of Cheetos out of his pocket the other day that had 3.5 servings in it, so 560 calories. I am tired of working with kids who are prediabetic and have to take metformin, have fatty liver disease, and/or high cholesterol. No child should have to deal with these health problems. If you don't like that I call the foods you are eating junk, fine, but those foods are poisoning our population and I am going to call it like I see it.

I am looking at my original comment and I think I should have put more thought into it. I think kids should be taught to read nutrition facts, especially the serving size, to get a general idea of the calories in the food so they understand some foods are more calorically dense then others. There should also be a discussion of the nutrients in the food. What vitamins and minerals are we getting? Is this a food high in antioxidants and fiber? Healthy fats?

Finally, the word moderation means different things to different people. She is holding 2 cupcakes and considers this moderation.
    p66ndumlfxoa.png

Bless you. Hopefully you're not fighting a lost cause.

Is the picture you posted a real thing from Health at Every Size? If it is, there is nothing healthy about anything in it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I don't know where that pic is from but because she is holding one up couldn't it also mean just one cupcake?

In real life because someone bakes 2 dozen cookies doesn't mean they eat them all in one sitting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

You could order a pizza from Papa Johns and add vegetables to it. You would be adding nutrition to it. But the pizza you are making at at home, you are getting just as much nutrition from it for less calories, saturated fat, and salt. When I had written my original post I was thinking restaurant pizza. I was thinking about an article I had read listing the top ten foods Americans eat and pizza was one of them.

I like making pizza at home, but the crust is usually better (because of the ovens and maybe the flour and practice) at restaurants. Many restaurant pizzas have things like lean meat and lots of vegetables (and you can get a salad or greens too). I don't know why one would assume that a restaurant pizza is void of nutrition. OF COURSE, you can certainly make a lower cal pizza at home (which matters if one is short of calories), but that's the same with any dish, not just pizza. Does that make restaurants always a bad choice, even if one enjoys them?

I recently got Ethiopian delivery, because I was tired and wanted something easy and because I like Ethiopian food and while I could make a lower cal version it wouldn't be as good. Does that make what I ordered (a mix of dishes based on collard greens, lentils, spinach, and cabbage and carrots) BAD or nutritionally void or junk food? That seems crazy, and yet I don't see how such a claim would be any different than the one you made about pizza.

As for restaurant pizza, it's diverse. I like a variety of kinds (not Pizza John's, which I've never had and can't say I want to try). One I mentioned in a recent thread is this new NYC-style place here, Robert's. You can build your own pizza with favorite ingredients, but some of the options on the menu are:

Seafood
    Roasted clams, calamari, shrimp, fresh mozzarella, garlic, EVOO

Huevos Rancheros
    Black bean, chorizo, queso fresco, scallion, cilantro, salsa verde and eggs ( gluten free crust n/a)

Brussels Sprout and Applewood Smoked Bacon
    with dates, smoked mozzarella and balsamic glaze

Chicken Breast and Spinach
    with artichoke hearts, Fontina cheese and lemon zest

I don't see how that's much different than a normal restaurant meal, and you can add more veg, if you want to.

Most local Italian places have good pizza too, with lean meat, eggs, arugula, asparagus, broccoli, artichoke, a huge variety -- not nutrient void at all.

Also, I think of the day as a whole, not one meal. I'm more of a vegetarian pizza person so my pizza might be lower protein than I like, so I eat more protein and veg at other meals. Not that complicated.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. I consider those foods junk because I do not feel that for all the calories they provide, they give adequate nutrition. I think people can work them into their diet and be healthy despite the fact they are eating those foods, not because of them. Do you believe eating a donut before a hike is healthy? Are you telling your kids, "It is healthy to have this donut before our hike"? Or is it something you enjoy doing and know that because you diet is overall very good and you are active you can work it in? Also, I am not saying I never eat those things. I eat those foods the foods I describe as junk because I enjoy them. But I don't for one second consider them healthy.

I call foods "junk foods" because it's a commonly understood term. I don't consider them unhealthy (if eaten in context and moderation) or "bad." You seem to be saying that what your overall diet is is less important than that you call foods "bad" or "junk." I don't get that. I have NEVER seen any evidence that thinking specific foods that you happen to enjoy and want to eat are BAD makes you eat less of them. It's not so for me. For me, focusing on overall diet and nutrition and not labeling specific foods is what makes me eat better overall.

I don't feel compelled to go on about how bad Cheetos or fast food is, but I never consume the first and rarely the second, so I guess it doesn't hurt me. I find the obsession with saying certain foods are bad as if that has some kind of beneficial property in itself to be, well, confusing. Why not teach people to understand nutrition and to be rational about food. That in itself would be sufficient to demonstrate that huge amounts of Cheetos is not a smart idea. And for at least many people, thinking eating ice cream is "bad" and "ruins a day" seems to mean that if they have some it's green light to have all, since they've already "been bad" and the day is a write-off. I used to have some of that kind of thinking myself, and I've seen it in many others. Getting rid of that and focusing on the overall nutrition of the day is IMO often quite helpful. (And for those prone to shame, thinking "I want to eat a cookie dough and cookie dough is a bad food, I must be a bad person for wanting it then" is really not surprising and can lead to a negative spiral.)
  • dkreed07
    dkreed07 Posts: 18 Member
    Talking about healthy calories and the idea of counting calories, ie calories in calories out is appropriate. Teaching kids that there is a calorie threshold is also ok. Giving them the knowledge about calories at a young age will help them. Maybe some will go home and talk to their parent who may not know this. If they are learning they should eat healthy fruits and vegetables at school, they may ask for those things to be bought at home.
  • heiliskrimsli
    stealthq wrote: »

I know for me the "portion plate" wasn't the problem. I was eating the right portions of the right foods and having a balanced diet.

And then on top of that, because kids shouldn't count or limit calories, I was eating far too much other crap too. Because why not just tack that on if you have never been told about calories and that there's a limit to how many of them you should consume in a day. There was a single fundamental piece of information missing throughout my entire childhood, and that thing was an upper bound on calories in.

You don't need to know anything about calories to know that. I knew that as a kid, but in the other direction. I was 'bird legs'. I needed to eat more.

Food at home was put on my plate for me and I was required to eat it all or remain seated at the table until I did. My parents had terrible eating habits (and still do), so when I gained weight as a kid they pretty much said that's how it is, and they were happy enough to load stuff with high calorie "toppings" as well. It was not unsual at all to see butter on top of deep fried food at home which would be washed down with a pint of full sugar soda, without any indication that consuming so many calories was not so great.

My parents did not "diet" themselves and were appalled at any suggestion of putting a child on a calorie restricted diet, and since "I'm not hungry [anymore]." was a sentence to sit at the table for potentially hours, I learned to shut up and eat what I was given.
  • WinoGelato

Food at home was put on my plate for me and I was required to eat it all or remain seated at the table until I did. My parents had terrible eating habits (and still do), so when I gained weight as a kid they pretty much said that's how it is, and they were happy enough to load stuff with high calorie "toppings" as well. It was not unsual at all to see butter on top of deep fried food at home which would be washed down with a pint of full sugar soda, without any indication that consuming so many calories was not so great.

My parents did not "diet" themselves and were appalled at any suggestion of putting a child on a calorie restricted diet, and since "I'm not hungry [anymore]." was a sentence to sit at the table for potentially hours, I learned to shut up and eat what I was given.

If that is the typical attitude your parents had toward food and meal time, how would a teacher teaching you about CICO and how to count the calories in the foods you eat, have been received at home? How would that have changed the outcome for you at meal time?
  • heiliskrimsli

If that is the typical attitude your parents had toward food and meal time, how would a teacher teaching you about CICO and how to count the calories in the foods you eat, have been received at home? How would that have changed the outcome for you at meal time?

When you have two options and one of them involves a consequence that is unpleasant for hours and one of them seems to just be that you'll feel a little stuffed for a couple minutes, the choice you make about which consequence is less desirable might be different than if you know what you're really in for by over eating. You may not understand that, or agree with it, but it would've been preferable to have that knowledge.