WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for your good wishes. The workers will be here for another day or two. It was a horrible mess under our house. They are making progress & will be working at least one more day. :flowerforyou:

Allysar: You've found a good place to get support. Welcome! :smiley:

USLeggs: This process works, but it is not speedy. You need to lose weight at a slow and sustainable pace and learn new eating & exercise habits in order for the weight to stay off. Stick with us for encouragement and support. :star:

Sue: The workers who showed up to do the work under our house are light & small to average sized guys. There is not a linebacker or NBA player in the bunch. They are working hard and are nice. :bigsmile:

DJ: It sounds like you are happy and busy getting ready for your cruise. Stop by whenever you can. :flowerforyou:

We'll have at least another day of work under our house plus the furnace man needs to put the furnace back together. The raccoons tore the ductwork and others items apart while they were under the house. We have no doubt about why we've had a cold winter inside our walls. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    USLeggs ... Welcome! As you read along in this group, you will find that those who have been successful have been faithful to CICO (calories in calories out). There is a saying that you can't exercise away bad food choices. So weigh, measure and track your calories ... religiously. Until you see what is really happening, I wouldn't suggest eating back all your exercise calories (estimates are all over the place anyways). See if this helps ... because it really does work for most.
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot and oh no it started raining again. I think I am developing PTSD from hearing water. Please stop!!

Sarah
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Katia- those raccoons really did a number on your home. Glad you're getting it repaired. Have you found a remedy for keeping raccoons out?
    DJ - Wow! You're really getting stuff cleared out. I'll be making a trip to our local women's shelter for their resale shop.
    USLeggs - I've read weight loss is mostly about your diet. Tracking my food and holding myself accountable is helping me lose weight. I'm focused on making this a lifestyle change through small changes and tweaks.
    Margaret - beautiful flowers. I'm so ready to see some pretty Spring flowers on Mama's little garden deck. Time to shop!
    Pip - hope Bullwinkle is okay.
    Allysar - I've found great support here. Posting daily accountability has helped me.
    Heather - I would like to get into yoga. And... I so admire your energy burn stats. Hope the house sale goes your way. And... that kettle. What a pain.
    Michele- nope! Papa John's pizzeria made the big cookie. I find it hard to resist. It's always delivered warm.
    KarenNY - the list comment made me smile. I have more lists than "Carter has little liver pills" - as my DM90 says. She also tells me - without your lists - you'd be listless. She's truly always right.
    Lanette and other - love the sibs pic. There were 8 of us. 7 living now. And we're a pretty close bunch.

Have a great rest of your day folks. Time to put my devices in time-out! DH has gone grocery shopping. I need to shake a leg while he's gone.

--Ginger in Texas
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip and Becca - Upon further examination ... bike looks like a 'stationary' bike ... sitting rear wheel up in some sort of contraption.

Margaret - Beautiful flowers. I'd like to have a 'day trip' to Calloway Gardens to their Butterfly House and their flowers planted around the place 'in full bloom'.

Lenora
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Love the booties! So cute! I love handmade things.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    karen your grandson is a real cutie!!
    What a fun visit you all had

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Meg,Sorry about your beloved Benny Beagle.It's never easy.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Trying to stay current and have to run to a meeting! But am caught up.

Karen virginia – this is the same cookie over and over again.. and she’s paying me!

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    go1bcud5e1mp.jpg
    Meg, have been thinking about you today.

I will have to see if I have a picture on my computer of siblings. I know I have one on my iPad but it is posted under that weird name.

Well our gutters are off. It sure makes the house looks weird. Plus it looks so dirty underneath. We knew that the was a bird that frequented the gutter over the garage. The end cap had a small opening and birds always seemed to find a way to get in. So when they took the gutter off, there was a very mishapened nest. It had 5 little blue eggs in it. It is now sitting on the ground by the garage. I know we should just throw it away. I have seen so many videos of Mom's who have lost their child and I think of poor Momma bird. The shape of the nest is so strange. I am so used to seeing what they look like in a tree.

Last Saturday was hard on me, getting up early and getting back late. With my MS, I just don't take trips like that well. Back in the days I just would have slept in Sunday morning and usually into the afternoon. So this morning they were out at 8 AM taking gutters off and there is no way to sleep during that. So I went back to bed at 9 AM and got up at 3PM!!!!! Hope I can get to sleep tonight and they will be out tomorrow at 8 to powerwash. As you can tell, I am not a morning person at all.

Well I got us on here I just thought it would be on the bottom of my post. I am the one closest to the door, then Paul my younger brother. We call him our big brother, one reason is that he is the tallest the other is that after Dad died he took on that role. He is a minister and was a chaplain in a hospice. Then there is John, the baby. He was 20 years on a nuclear sub, very intelligent, and finally my sister Norma. She lives here in town with me. She is the one with all the orthopedic and cancer problems. I used to be the shortest in the family. Both Norma and John have shrunk.

Joyce, Indiana
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,375 Member
    Options
    Hey Peeps,

Everyone has been busy on here! First off, welcome Newbies and Returnees and everybody! You spring flowers are popping out all over the place! <3<3

Thanks to all who have posted sibling photos and I hope to see more! Pip, thanks for kicking us off onto it. I have another photo around here (not sure where) with my siblings (showing the reverse height) taken about ten years ago at my mom’s funeral. Mom is also in the picture. It is a tradition in our family that photos are taken of the deceased at the funeral.

Lisa, cute sibling photo with that snowman. Where was it taken?

Leigh, how nice to be able to walk outside and attend the tulip festival. Did you get any pottery? Hand-made dishes, bowls and plates are hard for me to resist.

Beth, I just looked up pes anserine bursitis. The description sounds like what I had…. I feel like emailing this to my ortho doc who just shrugged his shoulders when I wanted him to suggest a diagnosis – since it wasn’t structural -needed surgery- he left the room and went on to the next patient. :s Happy to say it’s gotten much better – still a little pain but a fraction of what it was. Did your doc tell you to do anything – heat, ice, PT?

Karen from VA, grandson is a cutie and I want his hair. Actually, when mine was shorter many years ago, it had its own similar style. I used gobs of “dippity do” to try to keep it all going in one direction. Those booties are super cute! I have felt someplace around here and am tempted to give it a try – I’ll look online for a pattern. Yes, I’ll be 66 this fall…. yikes! Don’t feel that old (most of the time) but it’s shocking when I see myself in a store window reflection and think that’s my mom looking back at me! Thanks for the kind words – I am not photogenic whatsoever – huge nose with a curve – that photo I have with my login was taken for my job ID – it was a fluke I can assure you.

Joyce and Lenora and others who shared, I enjoyed reading about your kids (and grandkids) and their college. I’m reminded of when I was that age and how I quit/went back/ changed majors/ changed colleges, ended up with a degree I never really used (sociology) but I think it did give me an edge in some jobs.

Michele and Sarah
    , congratulations on the planks! WOW! I wonder how many gals in their 20’s and 30’s could do that? I’m betting not many!

Heather
    , sorry you sent the kettle back. Was hoping it would work out OK for you. Hairy Biker’s Spanish Style Chicken Bake recipe looked great! I don’t have any chorizo but do have some wonderful Italian sausage in the freezer so will keep the recipe handy. Loved the photo of you and your brother!

Pam in Adelaide, you continue to inspire me with your steps. I am curious about your scooter and how you’ll incorporate that in your walk. Sounds like fun and good exercise!

Katla – hooray on the raccoon damage being repaired and getting your heating duct fixed up. I am hoping now it's done, maybe warm weather appear so you won’t need to use it, lol. Come on spring! What does it take around here??? When we sold the farmhouse, some of the ductwork in our crawl space needed to be wrapped with insulation per the home inspector…I think the clearance under that old house must have been 18”. We got a small statured friend who wasn't claustrophic to do the job. B)

Margaret
    , did those flowers smell as beautiful as they look? Thanks for sharing!

DJ – it’s the pits about your bathroom faucet – things just don’t last. Used to be getting 30 years or more out of plumbing fixtures was the norm. But, exciting your friend will be here! Your cruise is just around the corner!

Ginger, you vacuuming so DH doesn’t nap – I nearly spit my coffee onto the laptop! My DH tries so hard to stay awake during the day so he can sleep at night. I refuse to vacuum unless he is out of the house for an extended period of time, otherwise it seems he’s “taken” by a nap just when I was planning to drag the thing out. He needs his sleep so I am a nice girl. >:)

Tracie in Green Bay – sad you are losing your boss/mentor/friend. That combination is often hard to fine – I like to think our friends are a reflection of ourselves. <3 Hope the Epic training goes well for you.

Becca, fabulous photos! Thank you, they were welcome on this overcast day. That bike is too much! I wonder if folks really ride it?

Pip, I hope there nothing wrong with Bullwinkle.

Meg, so sorry to hear about your beagle. DH and I raised several litters of beagles when we were first married – the cutest puppies ever and they were the most lovable dogs. Benny is off chasing rabbits with Trooper and Scout - they are working on perfecting their beagle "songs". Hoping things go well in the DH situation.

Lots more I want to comment on but will give you all a break! This is already an epistle!!!! o:)

DH mowed the lawn today and I broadcast some clover and yarrow seed in the lawn - with rain forecast the next few days (broken record, isn't it?) hopefully some will sprout.

Have a great evening all. We're in the middle of Season 4 of the Father Brown mysteries. Love it!!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm dragging so badly today. Then I remembered - I fell asleep without my CPAP mask. It's rare for me to forget. I was in bed all cozy with Netflix on my iPad. Dozed off during an episode of Midsomer Murders. I've tried gathering energy today... but it was short bursts. No exercise for me. Headed to bed early. I'll get some exercise tomorrow. Taking a friend to the VA Medical Center tomorrow for his appointment and then to run a few errands. His father passed away this morning and he needs to go by the nursing home and funeral home. Thank God the funeral is prepaid and pre-arranged. He is still recovering from 2 brain surgeries - infection from an abscessed tooth traveled to his brain Dec 2015.

-- Ginger in Texas