My parents are obsessed with trying to stop my weight loss

Options

Replies

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm 30 and my mum still commented on me being too skinny and was worried that I wanted to lose more weight still. Then I explained it's not weight I want to lose anymore so much as I wanted to build muscle and lose the last of my stomach fat. She seems to have calmed down since. Maybe you could try something similar?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Get an annual check up and bring her along. If your BMI is as stated, the DR will back you up.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Considering the OP has been unreliable in BMI reporting, I think we need more info.

Are you prepared to post your stats, OP? Height/weight?
  • LaauraLoses
    LaauraLoses Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I already have been doing different exercises and doing lower body fat whilst I was losing weight because I didn't want to be skinny fat but I think I can only get extra muscles when I am not losing weight I think? I do want to do that more but I definitely want to lose a bit extra weight so I can be happy and more comfortable with my body totally. I feel bad about telling my parents that I stopped my weight loss when I didn't because she will be able to tell anyway and she already keeps saying she wants to weigh me to make sure even though I'm 18?? I don't want to lie to her but I do want to lose weight too as well as get more muscles.

My mum is overweight or obese but my dad is always a normal weight or a bit higher maybe? My height is 153 cm and my weight is 50.8 kg I am pretty sure I did my BMI right I used more than one site to check it
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I suggested doing a recomp up thread, after reading your stats I think it would be a reasonable plan.

You would maintain the weight you are and follow a good weight lifting programme. This will, over time, drop your extra fat. You will also increase your strength and achieve some muscle gain.

Recomp is a slow process, but after 6 months you will be able to tell if it is giving you the body shape you are looking for.

If over time you still feel you have some fat to lose, you could then decide to lose those extra vanity pounds revealing a better sculpted body than you would have if you lost the pounds now.

Here is the recomp thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Here is a list of effective programmes some are bodyweight, some you can do at home, some you need a gym for. All can probably be adapted to fit in with your goal and equipment.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
    PS I am 155cm and 46kg and wish I had been given the advice I have just given you. I would have a much better lbm to fat ratio and a more, personally, pleasing physique.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Get an annual check up and bring her along. If your BMI is as stated, the DR will back you up.

No she hasn't. Reread what she has written and you will realise that it is your comprehension skills that are unreliable. She stated that her mom has been commenting from when her BMI was 27 and not that she started her weight loss with a BMI of 27.

Maybe you missed the part where I had the DOCTOR confirming her weight was OK, to her mother.
    Khan Academy can help you with your comprehension.

Referencing a qualified expert is standard practice in refuting a bad argument
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe your mother would be willing to go to a nutritionist with you if you are willing. If you are adult, out living your own life, tell your mom something like "mom, this is the last time I am going to tell you. My weight loss is not dangerous, and my doctor approves (hopefully you consulted with your dr about your weight loss plan) and if you start to harp on it again I am going to stop talking or leave"

And then do so, if you're on the phone hang up. If you are in person, get up and leave. Boundaries are hard to set with parents but it's healthy to have respectful boundaries in all your relationships.

If you are a minor, then ask her to take you to your doctor, keep her in the room and talk with your dr about your weight loss: how you are doing it, what you eat per day, how often you exercise, etc. Then listen to the Doc, if you are doing it safely he/she should back you up.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

No she hasn't. Reread what she has written and you will realise that it is your comprehension skills that are unreliable. She stated that her mom has been commenting from when her BMI was 27 and not that she started her weight loss with a BMI of 27.

Maybe you missed the part where I had the DOCTOR confirming her weight was OK, to her mother.

I believe she meant to quote the post below yours where this comment was made :) : "Considering the OP has been unreliable in BMI reporting, I think we need more info."

Because OP hasn't been "unreliable" in reporting her BMI, the poster just missed her clarification that a BMI of 27 is when the comments began.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »

I believe she meant to quote the post below yours where this comment was made :) : "Considering the OP has been unreliable in BMI reporting, I think we need more info."

Because OP hasn't been "unreliable" in reporting her BMI, the poster just missed her clarification that a BMI of 27 is when the comments began.

I apologise Theo, I did quote the wrong post. Nothing wrong with your advise in the slightest. In fact it is recommended.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    So everyone that exercises alone is "grimly exercising"???

No, my child grimly exercising in isolation would be concerning to me. My child cheerfully exercising independently would not be.

I suspect you can tell when your kid is independent vs isolated, and when your kid is grim vs cheerful. None of us know for sure which of those the OP's mom is seeing.

Like when you hear the treadmill banging for hours behind the closed door because they're desperately trying to burn off that jelly bean they ate. There's definitely a difference between independent v isolation.

I prefer to exercise by myself, because people annoy me :tongue:

What does the door have to do with it? And if the weather's bad and I need to do a 10 mile run the treadmill is going to make noise for a while.

I guess a lot of people have a hard time understanding a need to be alone.
  • LaauraLoses
    LaauraLoses Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If I do a recomp thing can I do my weight loss both together so I can be lighter and reducing body fat at the same time because I would like to do that and I don't really want to lie to my parents because they would just know anyway and it is just more arguments and comments if I do even if it's not a bad thing I am doing,

I don't know if my mum is jealous but she does make a lot of comments and constantly says things like I am too thin and I need to stop weight loss the same and I do feel that she hates me a lot of the time with the things she says to me and the comments she makes and doesn't really care about what I want or when I explain things to her it doesn't make any difference unless it's the thing that she wants and I agree to her.

I don't really understand the treadmill thing and isolation v independent but I don't reallydo that I think? I mostly do walking and dancing exercises.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not the message, but the way it's delivered. Sometimes people can come across as thinking "I'm better than you" or constantly bragging to anyone who has the patience to listen to them how awesome they are and "look,look at me" and what i can do...
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do you live with or work with your parents? In general, I'd say to tell them it is not up for discussion and that you will hang up/leave if they start in on it. Then follow through.

I agree with this.

I would tell them your weight is a personal matter between you and your doctor, it is not their decision to make, and the topic is off limits, period.

If you still live with them, I hope you can find your own place.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If I do a recomp thing can I do my weight loss both together so I can be lighter and reducing body fat at the same time because I would like to do that and I don't really want to lie to my parents because they would just know anyway and it is just more arguments and comments if I do even if it's not a bad thing I am doing,

I don't know if my mum is jealous but she does make a lot of comments and constantly says things like I am too thin and I need to stop weight loss the same and I do feel that she hates me a lot of the time with the things she says to me and the comments she makes and doesn't really care about what I want or when I explain things to her it doesn't make any difference unless it's the thing that she wants and I agree to her.

I don't really understand the treadmill thing and isolation v independent but I don't reallydo that I think? I mostly do walking and dancing exercises.
    My dad has a really hard time with me being an adult and out of his control. It feels like hate when it comes to a head. I'm not sure what it is, but it is abusive. It got really bad a few years ago after I had a surgery on one body part and he kept trying to get me to do the things he was told to do after injuring a different body part and I wouldn't do it because it could do more damage while I was healing. He started saying other nasty things when my mom wasn't around. It could just be that she sees that she no longer has control of you and is grasping to change that. It doesn't make it right or easy, but it can help to see it for what it is.
This discussion has been closed.