My parents are obsessed with trying to stop my weight loss

Options

Replies

• BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My dad too ! I lost 43 lbs and would like to loose 5-7more lbs and my dad gives me trouble on the phone and both my parents in law! Like its nice they care but YOU no the difference between healthy and unhealthy body. Just tell them that. Its there job to care. But worry about your health and what makes you happy as along as your doing it healthy you are good.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Seconding everyone who says that it's a parent's job to worry. My mum does it - whether the scales go up or down for me. And I'm 27, hahaha.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Seconding everyone who says that it's a parent's job to worry. My mum does it - whether the scales go up or down for me. And I'm 27, hahaha.

However once you're 18, it's no longer their say that matters, and it's perfectly within someone's rights to tell the parents to stop meddling.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

However once you're 18, it's no longer their say that matters, and it's perfectly within someone's rights to tell the parents to stop meddling.

Parenting doesn't stop at 18. Without knowing the full circumstances of the OP, I'd venture to guess at 18 there is quite a bit of financial dependence on parents. An 18 year old could still be in high school, where the dependence on a parent is even more.

The independence that comes from legally becoming an adult doesn't change the fact that an 18 year old brain isn't completely developed, and quality decision making skills aren't super solid until well into the 20's. Setting a seemingly borderline target weight goal for an 18 year old is very different than someone who is targeting a lean weight when they are older.

Regardless of how thin someone may want to be and whether or not how much their parent likes that goal, if there are suspected behaviors related to disordered eating, it's completely appropriate for a parent (or other loved one or friend) to step in. Like I said before, sometimes it's just our "spidey senses" that tell us something is not quite right. How well and effectively that gets communicated is probably up for debate.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to be lean, especially if they have struggled being overweight and finally "get it." I do have a problem with supporting behaviors that encourage unnecessary food restriction and 'thinspiration.'

Where does this poster say things like "thinspiration"? I don't think her goal numbers even hit a BMI of 18.

I also think at 18 is when parents need to back off- legally they have no rights over her anymore. I've dealt with parents trying to control me far past 18, and it's not okay, and my parents aren't even helecopter parents, that would be even worse.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Related here on my experience my mom is so worry about my weight loss goal that she said if I continue to lose weight i'll get a disease soon. From my fathers reaction on my weight loss he watch what amount i eat and commenting that it was too little, i might like to said how can i loss weight if i eat many? Because my father loves to cook for me when those time im not in a diet weight loss and now he dont love to cook at all for the reason that i dont eat it what he cook that i can nearly finish eat what he cooked.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My parents are obsessed with my weight at the moment and it's making me so frustrated my mum constantly says I am too thin and I need to stop losing weight and things like that and my dad just always agrees with whatever she says. I lost a lot of weight since last january about 22kg so I know it's a big change but she has been saying these things since I was BMI 27 and it's gotten a lot worse now I am just about BMI 22.

I am at a more healthy weight now than I have ever been and I have a small frame so I still think I want to lose a little more to be really happy with my size. How can I make her listen to me and understand and know it is my decision and that I am healthy and to stop constantly telling me what my body looks best like when it's not even hers?

A couple of questions:
    1) What is your cultural background?
    2) What is your ideal weight/BMI?

Personally, if you want to lose weight to be happier with your size, I don't see that as an issue. How many people on here want to lose weight so they can fit into non-plus sized clothes? So they look sexy or whatever? They aren't happy with their size for non-health related reasons. You want to feel more comfortable. Who doesn't want to feel comfortable? The problem is when it is your entire happiness, and when you end up underweight. If your ideal weight isn't underweight, then go for it. If you're constantly unhappy, exercising all the time, obsessing about food, then take a step back.

Also, while it might be a parent's job to worry, it doesn't mean that they have any cause for the worry or that their worry isn't actively hurting you.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

Parenting doesn't stop at 18. Without knowing the full circumstances of the OP, I'd venture to guess at 18 there is quite a bit of financial dependence on parents. An 18 year old could still be in high school, where the dependence on a parent is even more.

The independence that comes from legally becoming an adult doesn't change the fact that an 18 year old brain isn't completely developed, and quality decision making skills aren't super solid until well into the 20's. Setting a seemingly borderline target weight goal for an 18 year old is very different than someone who is targeting a lean weight when they are older.

Regardless of how thin someone may want to be and whether or not how much their parent likes that goal, if there are suspected behaviors related to disordered eating, it's completely appropriate for a parent (or other loved one or friend) to step in. Like I said before, sometimes it's just our "spidey senses" that tell us something is not quite right. How well and effectively that gets communicated is probably up for debate.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to be lean, especially if they have struggled being overweight and finally "get it." I do have a problem with supporting behaviors that encourage unnecessary food restriction and 'thinspiration.'

Or you could just be wrong and inserting your own biases where they're not needed. Have you even considered that possibility?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't the weight change, would she be nagging you about something else? Some people are like that - they always want to pick you apart for something. I recommend figuring out what you want to say and saying it every single time she brings this up.
    Example:
    "You're too thin."
    "Blah-blah-blah, here we go."
    "You've lost too much weight! I'm worried."
    "Blah-blah-blah, here we go."

Other suggestions - "the subject of my weight is CLOSED." "Let's talk about you." Whatever you want to say. The trick is say it every single time. It will often derail the crazy.

• ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight since last janurary so 2016 not this year and I started at I think 31 something BMI I just said 27 because that is when they started making comments and it got really bad more recent. I don't know how much weight I want to lose really I feel like I am getting to a more healthy body now and it's really just the last bit to really feel happy with myself. I am 18 so it is really hard because I am with my parents at the moment and I can't really avoid them and my mum just doesn't want to listen.

I might try and speak to the doctor and see if he can see her but she doesn't really ever trust doctors unless they agree with her she argues with them for her own things so I dont know if my ones different

It may seem rude, but is your mom overweight? It may not be the case, but often family members pursue this kind of route when they themselves aren't healthy and don't like that you're doing better than they are. Like coworkers, etc. Maybe not, just curious.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Since OP didn't ask whether people here thought she should lose more weight, I don't think my not having a predisposition to tell people that a BMI between 18.5 and 22 is a sign of a problem is a bias being inserted where it isn't needed.

My memory and reading comprehension skills must be getting rusty with old age as I don't recall anyone so far in this thread telling people that a BMI of between 18.5 and 22 is a sign of a problem.

I DO recall people reacting to the OPs statement of preference for less weight as opposed to the same weight with less fat.
    I DO recall people reacting to the OP stating that she would be "happier" at a lower weight.

Both statements are seen often enough around here.
    More often than not they are associated to some degree of disordered thinking.

Whether you chose to potentially encourage or discourage disordered thinking is most certainly up to you.

Her BMI is 22.

There is nothing wrong with losing additional weight when you're still above the midpoint of the normal range. There's nothing wrong with losing weight if you're still above the bottom of the normal range. OP wants to lose weight. That is her business, not yours to tell her that she's wrong or that it's wrong to prefer to be a lower weight or to say that a lower weight would make her happier.

That's your baggage you're putting on that.
This discussion has been closed.