Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Very true, Gallowmere. This is what happens when a product moves from the lab to mass production.

I think the whole algae-as-food concept failed as it turned out to be a lot harder to keep it free of contaminant/pest than hoped.
    Contamination is why algae never became the new chicken???
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    100% would! In fact if I had access to such a thing I would replace 100% of my meat intake with it even if it's expansive. I have to manipulate the meat in several ways to mask the taste and change the texture. If this one is blander I would like it better.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

lkpducky wrote: »
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I'd start gardening if I could grow me some bacon.

latest?cb=20160608044553

55507981.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    As for the lab grown meat, I might be willing to try it, but the idea skeeves me out a bit.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    yes
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian cat food....sort of. Interesting.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Wonder if some of the reason it's bland tasting is that it might be too lean. Slaughtered meat in its natural state is both muscle and fat cells, even if there is little visible marbling.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Damn. Thank you for explaining that. I thought the post was about eating cats. :o Which, I mean, wasn't that or of place - look at the topic we're reading!!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Damn. Thank you for explaining that. I thought the post was about eating cats. :o Which, I mean, wasn't that or of place - look at the topic we're reading!!
    This is what happens when I post without proofreading. I shouldn't be allowed internet...

And yes, I was thinking pet food FOR cats, not eating cats!

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    The only way would be if the entire planet's food supply was somehow completely destroyed and it was eat that or perish. Otherwise, no. I believe in the food chain and we're still at the top.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the aversion. It's meat, not a chemically manufactured alternative. Real muscle cells from real animals. It had a face, but that face wasn't slaughtered is all the difference.

I do wonder how nutrition would be affected, though. Livestock use feed, and that feed somewhat affects nutrition. Would the growing media be considered "feed" and affect nutrition as well? How would the fact that these sells have not been used the typical way muscle cells are used affect things? What about fat cells, which often give slaughtered meat its distinct flavor? Would they, at one point, start growing fat cells as well to fine tune the flavor? Would they "exercise" the meat, or can the electric stimulation be considered exercise? I'm more fascinated and curious than anything.

I'm pretty much only concerned about the taste.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the aversion. It's meat, not a chemically manufactured alternative. Real muscle cells from real animals. It had a face, but that face wasn't slaughtered is all the difference.

I do wonder how nutrition would be affected, though. Livestock use feed, and that feed somewhat affects nutrition. Would the growing media be considered "feed" and affect nutrition as well? How would the fact that these sells have not been used the typical way muscle cells are used affect things? What about fat cells, which often give slaughtered meat its distinct flavor? Would they, at one point, start growing fat cells as well to fine tune the flavor? Would they "exercise" the meat, or can the electric stimulation be considered exercise? I'm more fascinated and curious than anything.

Amusingly, I could see the "paleo farmers" having a conniption fit when the price of their grass-fed beef eventually got driven into the crapper, if said lab meat were n-3 infused and contained comparable micronutrients.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I'm with you. As long as taste is good, price is acceptable, and there's nothing I consider ethically unacceptable in the production then I'd be fine with it.

And I can answer one of your questions, anyway :smile:

Yes, the growing medium would affect both nutrition and taste, though there are limits as to how much they can be affected without tinkering with the tissues themselves.