Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the aversion. It's meat, not a chemically manufactured alternative. Real muscle cells from real animals. It had a face, but that face wasn't slaughtered is all the difference.

I do wonder how nutrition would be affected, though. Livestock use feed, and that feed somewhat affects nutrition. Would the growing media be considered "feed" and affect nutrition as well? How would the fact that these sells have not been used the typical way muscle cells are used affect things? What about fat cells, which often give slaughtered meat its distinct flavor? Would they, at one point, start growing fat cells as well to fine tune the flavor? Would they "exercise" the meat, or can the electric stimulation be considered exercise? I'm more fascinated and curious than anything.

All great points! And why I mentioned in my post that my reasons for not wanting to eat it are rooted in the imaginings of a science fiction fan. To my over-active imagination, the fact that we are capable of doing this can lead to some pretty scary, fever-dream induced scenarios. But putting that aside, the fact that we can do this is kind of awesome. And if this lab-meat ends up feeding hungry or malnourished people in areas where protein sources are difficult to raise, OR if it leads to us being able to use any agricultural land more efficiently, someone deserves a Nobel prize or something for it.

To anyone concerned by the inhumane treatment of some animals used for food, or to the environmental cost of all the land and crops used to raise livestock, this could be huge. And now I'm super curious to see what the taste and texture is like!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I don't understand the aversion. It's meat, not a chemically manufactured alternative. Real muscle cells from real animals. It had a face, but that face wasn't slaughtered is all the difference.

I do wonder how nutrition would be affected, though. Livestock use feed, and that feed somewhat affects nutrition. Would the growing media be considered "feed" and affect nutrition as well? How would the fact that these sells have not been used the typical way muscle cells are used affect things? What about fat cells, which often give slaughtered meat its distinct flavor? Would they, at one point, start growing fat cells as well to fine tune the flavor? Would they "exercise" the meat, or can the electric stimulation be considered exercise? I'm more fascinated and curious than anything.

All great points! And why I mentioned in my post that my reasons for not wanting to eat it are rooted in the imaginings of a science fiction fan. To my over-active imagination, the fact that we are capable of doing this can lead to some pretty scary, fever-dream induced scenarios. But putting that aside, the fact that we can do this is kind of awesome. And if this lab-meat ends up feeding hungry or malnourished people in areas where protein sources are difficult to raise, OR if it leads to us being able to use any agricultural land more efficiently, someone deserves a Nobel prize or something for it.

To anyone concerned by the inhumane treatment of some animals used for food, or to the environmental cost of all the land and crops used to raise livestock, this could be huge. And now I'm super curious to see what the taste and texture is like!

Huh, I didn't even think about that part. If peoples meat aversion is truly often one of ethics, this could end up pissing off a lot of faux-meat manufacturers as well. xD
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Even as a man of science, this just strikes me as kind of disgusting. In all honesty, after a number of documentaries (and, let's face it, just considering the production of meat as an industry, which is a pretty gargantuan usage of water and creator of greenhouse gasses... the number one creator, I believe), I'm basically on the verge of becoming vegetarian, anyway. And this from a guy who swore he never would, if for nothing else than the excellent source of protein and delicious taste!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Huh, I didn't even think about that part. If peoples meat aversion is truly often one of ethics, this could end up pissing off a lot of faux-meat manufacturers as well. xD

Yes, their business may take a bit of a hit, but may not be as big as one would expect. Some may convert back to eating meat, but this is still technically taking advantage of an animal so some vegans may be harder to sway. Plus habits are hard to break. Even those who decide to they are okay with the process, they may still prefer their familiar foods. Some people have been at it for so long they've lost their taste for meat. Faux meat products would still be in demand, at least for a while.

As for the taste, the whole thing is still an early project. I'm sure something will be done about that in the future. I remember trying my uncle's protein powder 25 years ago, it has come a long way.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Yes, their business may take a bit of a hit, but may not be as big as one would expect. Some may convert back to eating meat, but this is still technically taking advantage of an animal so some vegans may be harder to sway. Plus habits are hard to break. Even those who decide to they are okay with the process, they may still prefer their familiar foods. Some people have been at it for so long they've lost their taste for meat. Faux meat products would still be in demand, at least for a while.

As for the taste, the whole thing is still an early project. I'm sure something will be done about that in the future. I remember trying my uncle's protein powder 25 years ago, it has come a long way.

Oh definitely. I have heard comments from many old school lifters like "you could tell you had a good quality protein by how close it got you to puking. If it tasted good, it was probably loaded to hell with sugar".
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the aversion.

can't speak for others; for me it's a creepiness/dissonance thing.
    Real muscle cells from real animals.

that's my [brain's] problem. muscle cells but no brain. living tissue but . . . not?
    It had a face, but that face wasn't slaughtered is all the difference.

honestly, i'm not bothered by the idea that animals die. never have been. it seems normal to me. in a weird way, maybe it's the fact that this stuff is 'alive' in some in-between meta-ish sense, and then we eat it . . . without killing it . . .

that actually could be where the creepiness starts creeping in.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,816 Member
    Options

The feed would affect flavor as well, I would think. My husband raves about the taste of Welsh lamb - they eat lush green grass and herbs (nice wet climate).
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Grass fed
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There are (non-sentient) bivalves that can be 'farmed' vertically on ropes. Double bonus, the ecological impact of these filter feeders is actually an improvement! No lab meat for me.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Of course the cost will come down and it will taste better as the process and technology develops. It will also seem commonplace eventually. Still, it's pretty creepy right now.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a debate in a few weeks on this exact topic! There's lots of opinions either way, but personally, I wouldn't eat it because I don't like meat.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Lab grown meat? Yes I'd definately try it. Most interesting development
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have a debate in a few weeks on this exact topic! There's lots of opinions either way, but personally, I wouldn't eat it because I don't like meat.

That's pretty cool. What side will you be arguing? What format / level is this debate?
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ...also I just want to let you all know that I started thinking of lab-meat and now I'm having BBQ-daydreams. So I think the question we (and by "we" I mean this meat-taste-lovin'-ethical-veggie) need to ask is: when can it get out of my dreams and into my local store 'cause the sun is shining in my office window and it's gonna be summer here any week now and damnit, I want something sizzly.
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Never in my life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    roserly wrote: »
    Never in my life.
    Never say never. There have been times where people NEVER thought they would need to change due to current circumstances, but they can change. Back in the early 1900's, did they ever think that women would have the same rights and opportunities as men? Or that we would fly to different continents within a few hours?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it I think.