WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Question- What movie, music, or book pumps you up? When you need an inspiration injection or need to feel that "Rocky" hands-over-head feeling...what do you turn to to get that energizing injection? I love LOVE strong woman movies. Like G.I. Jane or Catwoman. Both horrid movies, but make me feel like I could kick the crap out of somebody. Very energizing (in a good way). What works for you?
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I like a wide variety of music and for whatever reason, if I listen to music, it can stick in my head and play there for hours. So in the days before one of my long bicycle rides, I pick a selection I think I'd like to play in my head, and I listen to them several times.

Funny thing ... even after doing that I usually end up with something completely different playing over and over in my head. :lol:

But ideally I like something I know all the words to.

M in Oz

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Becca - I'm glad that, in the posts since your vent, you seem to have recovered your equilibrium. I wish I had an answer for you with the empty nest syndrome you're facing--the best one I've heard so far is the one that suggested you volunteer. Perhaps Meals on Wheels, or volunteering at the local hospital to provide the human touch for babies in need, or something similar. You seem to be oriented toward caring for others, so why not widen that circle? Non-profits are always in need of dependable volunteers.

Sharon - Uplifting words! I won't say I believe every single day that everything will work out, but I know that having that goal in front of us is better for both of us mentally. My sis told me once, when I was moaning over some plan that wasn't working out, "It didn't ruin your life, it just ruined your plan. Change the plan." It's been helpful to remember over the years.

DJ - Adventuresome. I like that. I don't always have much in common with the people around me, as they are dug into their little burrows like bunnies (appropriate at Easter time). There are days I envy that a lot, while being utterly unable to do so--looking back at my life, I find that I've always looked at the horizon for the next thing. And I married a man who does the same thing, truly the best partner I could have found for my outlook.

Rori -
    Thank you. I hope our paths cross again soon. Somehow, I have a feeling they will.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Machka9: What a ride. Are you lactose intolerant?

Thanks!

And yes, I am lactose intolerant.

I've had these protein shakes before a ride on a couple previous occasions and I was OK ... but I remembered too late that I took anti-lactose pills before drinking the shakes back then. Oops!

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Another night of fitful sleep..fit bit says I slept 9 1/2 hrs ,I did not...
    today we are flat out 9-6 i am assisting today and not happy when it is like that, but at least I have a job..
    Tom sucking up, but he can suck up all he want's not gonna work anymore..
    of course you go to sleep and then your mine starts going on how it will all work out? and so on.. I am sure it wont be easy.. my last divorce was nasty.. and I dont think Tom thinks I will do anything.. but ya know it comes to a point where that is it. and I have hit that point..
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, ladies - up early once more. Don't know if my body has simply adjusted to the thyroid medication, or it's the upcoming life change with the vacation and new job that has me back to sleepless mornings, but I'm OK with it. Missed this very productive time of my day while I was sleeping eight hours a night!

It promises to be a chaotic week, not my favorite mode, but inevitable in the circumstances. This morning is a ribbon-cutting for the U.S. Representative's office opening here, which at least makes wardrobe choices easy, as I'll be in my Chamber ambassador blue shirt for that. Then it's more training for my replacement, as we get that picture and article set, and get the usual stuff done for press day tomorrow. At 5 p.m., the Chamber Board meets, and I'm a member of the board. Then it's trivia night at the local coffee shop at 7 p.m., if I still have any energy left. Corey seemed to be coming down with a cold, so I'm going to let him sleep in, and check in with him after the board meeting to see if he's up to trivia. Hope it's just allergies.

Tomorrow is my last press day - which makes me happy. And, for a change, I'm not writing the opinion article. One of the area papers published a scurrilous, near-libelous letter from a local resident, with a veiled death threat against all of us at the paper. The local police have gotten involved, and are talking to the Texas Rangers, as it's out of the city. Don't know the upshot of the investigation yet, but left it to my young reporter to write the opinion article for the week. Not on the letter itself, but another paper's willingness to publish it. He did a much softer treatment of it than either I or my publisher was capable of writing, one of the reasons we have a great team, one that I'll miss a lot.

But, I'll be keeping my hand in. Will continue to edit the Kid's Corner story each week. I have a 13-year-old, home-schooled girl writing a serial set of stories for her English grade. I've been working with her intensely for nearly four months now, to help her understand the ins and outs of writing for publication, having her correct her own work with extensive notes from me. Told my publisher and the girl's mom I'd continue that through May, until she goes on summer break. Well worth my time, and couldn't just abandon her just because I'm changing things around. Will also continue writing the op/ed column each week.

Oh - and I'm also putting together the Best of Critique Cafe' submissions into a book for my writer's group. It's a chapbook, which we print every other year. Although the ambition was to publish it twice a year, it's not worked out that way. This will be my second, and the third published. Goosing writers to get things in on deadline has always been like trying to nail Jell-O to a wall. Luckily, the deadline is the end of NEXT week, not this week. Small favors.

On the weight side, I'm staying steady, but that's because I haven't been exercising. Did an analysis of my patterns, and when I exercise, I exceed my calories every single time, and steadily gain weight. I have been trying to figure out a way to make that different, and I think the key may be intensity. I need to drop the intensity of the exercise to the point where I don't trigger my appetite into overdrive, and that's hard for me. You may have noticed that I do everything at full speed. Still thinking that one over.

DJ - Our daughter is at Fort Polk, La., near the mid-western side of the state. It's about a ten-hour drive or so. Really looking forward to that--we'll leave early Thursday morning. If we get too exhausted, we'll stop along the way and arrive there Friday. If we can deal with it, we'll get there Thursday night, stay Friday and Saturday, and off up to Arkansas Sunday morning.

Really looking forward to a little time to breathe.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 Morning all, it's off to the races for me after my second cup of coffee. Making sure I've planned out my meals, office will probably order in lunch for us, so I would like to have an alternative to the usual junk food o:) planning on staying after to organize a lot of mess off my desk and attack at least one pile of music :s that's my new goal--by end of June I will have all music file cabinets in ship shape--we'll see.

Becca empty nest for me had me and DH feeling closer and making an effort to spend time together-walking or running errands together--it was very reassuring to turn to each other. Also, I am liking that holding babies volunteer gig someone mentioned-after I retire I can imagine that being a very meaningful volunteer opportunity.

NYKAREN
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Becca we have all been where you are many times, sadly it is part of the journey. Have you ever made a vision board. It goes something like this and you get to be as creative as you like. Take a piece of a box or Bristol board. Think of your goal and put it either in written form, picture or other symbolic representation at the end or bottom of your picture. Then using anything you like: paint, magazine clippings, flowers for example, you llustrate your strategies to get to your goal. This is a creative and mindful excercise that activates the brain and can result in some pretty fantastic changes. It can be a very fun activity but it can also be very emotional so tears are fine. Then put it where you see it everyday. You can do this. In respect to the empty nest, it is hard at first but then you realize that it is your time again and you get to do things that you didn't have time for before and before long the loneliness is replaced with a new joy. You won't believe this now, I didn't when everyone told me that. I was so distraught the day I dropped my girls off at University but now 4 years later, I look back at that time from a very different reality. I am ok.
    Rori congrats on the boring physical
    Sharon so sorry to hear about your Easter Sunday and my condolences for your cousin.

Well it's off to work after doing my morning mantra and I am concentrating on practicing certain mind sets each day and today is compassion.

Have a great day. <3 Sarah.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Sharon I agree about the power of prayer.

Lisa Love that "It didn't ruin your life it just ruined the plan. Change the plan."

I ended up having to go to a emergency clinic last night to get a tick removed. I tried all my standbys first and it wouldn't budge. I also did not know how long I had it one me. It was on my back and I didn't notice it at first. The good news is it was a wood tick and not a deer tick. Dr. said it didn't look like it had been on all that long. Still they gave me a one shot antibiotic. It made me feel sick for a couple of hours. Now I am feeling okay. Frustrating because I do love to garden. I will just need to be more vigilant in trying to prevent getting another tick bite. To be honest I am more worried about getting Lymes than the Zika virus.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ You are one busy lady!

Becca ~ I do hope you have a better day today. It's funny how our moods can change from one day to the next. One day I might feel like bawling for no good reason and then I snap out of it. I am sure it's something we all go through.

Re ~ Where are you?

Heather ~ Very cute plates that go with very cute grandchildren.

Sharon ~ I'm glad you got over your headache and had a lovely day with your family.

Going for my second knee injection today. The first one did not do a lot of good. Especially after standing up so much in church on Sunday.

Carol in GA

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 40X7X35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs 30 Day Challenge
    65 Squats
    16 push-ups
    65 leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    Rain all day here! I will take to 2 -2mile walks today!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Got the glitch in my computer fixed (for the most part). I did just turn it off and turn it back on. The only password I had to change was facebook. Like many of you, I have a system for choosing my passwords. I don't use anything that relates to my "now" life. I use passwords from my childhood. Or passwords that have to do with the site I am using. (How to sites get something like Ms.fixit, cooking sites get something like chickenforever) My facebook page was opened in 2008 and my original password was torres08 (for the wonderful Dara Torres winning her silver at age 41 in the 2008 Olympics). But it is changed now and I am confident in my new password. Even my DH, an IT/computer nerd, is impressed with my passwords. I do like the idea of the secure site that stores your passwords.
    Lisa- Sounds like you have enough on your plate to keep you busy for a while! But all good stuff! I liked your comment about needing your alone time and having a hard time getting it with Corey home convalescing. I have to find a hobby for my DH, or hope he finds a job he likes after he leaves his current place of employment. I am sure, if he spends too much time underfoot, while I am trying to work at home, some one will come to an untimely end (and it won't be me).
    Sharon- Your time with family sounds wonderful! I am glad your headache went away. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. Cancer is a b****! Takes away too many. :(
    Becca- Sorry you've got the blues! Empty nest syndrome is a force to contend with; BUT...I know you and how active and outgoing you seem to be. Make a to-do list of things you want to do or want to become involved in. Now...to give you a little giggle; you visited me last night in my dreams! I was at a church or big event type building for some type of fundraiser auction. I saw you almost running down a hallway, in your wedding dress and I yelled "Becca!", caught up with you and chatted while running together (down this neverending hallway) and then you said "I'd love to talk more, but I have to go sing." And you opened the doors to the main room and ran down and joined the choir! LOL! Can we count that run on our exercise this morning?
    Marcelyn- Love the pool picture! I did a lot of cleaning, laundry, organizing, for DD when Joaquin was born. Seeing her in constant contact with that little guy (he seemed to be always latched on, nursing) made me feel a little sorry for her as she looked around her some what neglected house. DH and I did what we could while we were there. It felt good to help.
    Matchka9- Wow! IN awe of your cycling! Go girl! I do have a walking/running playlist that I listen to with a wide variety of music styles. And...like you, if I am walking a longer route, my brain will replay the music that I like best!
    Allie- You are always in my thoughts and sending you some strength and love! <3
    Dana- So sorry to hear about your uncle! Loss is so hard! Congrats on your pound loss, however!
    Gloria- Feel better!
    twestra- Welcome! Also from "near Grand Rapids"! Grand Haven! I have been on mfp for a few years, but found this group just last year. I am 50 and have 80 pounds to get to my goal weight.
    Well, kiddos are here and ready to play. We got the wagon out yesterday (a larger farm-type wagon that seats six small kids) and took that for a walk with all TEN kids that were here yesterday. My walkers were good boys and listened well and remembered our walking commands and the riders were content to point out every tree, cloud, bird, flower, etc. I felt fine after the walk (only a mile; we kept it short with new walkers)...but this morning?! O.my.goodness. Pulling a wagon full of kids will do a number on HALF of your body. Next time I will pull with the other arm. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    855870jrtlp3y3dv.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria: Feel better soon. :star:

Margaret: I'm glad you had your tick seen to, and also glad that the doctor didn't think it had been there very long. :heart:

We hope and plan to get our taxes from the accountant today and get things in the mail for the deadline. We have never been late and would like to continue the tradition.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• KimK2009
    KimK2009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Newbie here, checking in. We got back from our spring break trip to Florida and I had gained 4 pounds. I was quite disappointed because I had tried very hard to make good choices at the restaurants we went to. But, I got over it pretty quickly and got back to work. So, I finally got those four pounds off and a couple more. I'm really feeling good about myself during this period of self-improvement. But, I'm finding that the more I get moving the more I have little aches and pains. Not anything to see a doctor about, but just things that niggle at me (sore feet and ankles and my knee has something going on with it-it's not really painful, but there is definitely something off.) I found a gym that's pretty close and not too expensive ($125/6 months for the whole family), it's quite small and doesn't have a lot of equipment, but I think it will be fine.

I have a dress that my mom bought for me before she passed away (still has the tags on it, lol) that I was never able to wear because I got pregnant right after she gave it to me and I never lost any of that "baby" weight. My baby will be 15 in May. Anyway, I tried it on the other day and I can actually get it over my head, and over my hips. I still need to lose probably about 5-10 more pounds for it to fit well, though. I'm hoping I'll be able to wear it to my oldest son's high school graduation at the end of May.

It's finally starting to get hot here in Georgia, so have to do any kind of outside activities in the morning or the evening.

Went shopping at Costco last night and saw the big rack of bathing suits. Like I said, I was feeling pretty good about myself, so I thought, why not? I'll give it a try. Well, I "tried" it on when I got home and immediately knew this was not the suit for me, lol. AACCKKK!

Carol in GA - Where are you in Georgia? I'm in Augusta, maybe we're neighbors? Also, when looking for a church home I found the same thing about the music, it was hard to find one with the right balance of good music, great people, good pastor that preaches the Word, and everything else you look for in a church.

pamfgil - Those kites are awesome!

Grandmallie - So sorry you're going through that. <<<hugs>>>

SSC1958 - 107 grandchildren???

Ketonekaren - Poor bunny, lol.

Headed to the gym this morning. I hope you all have a wonderful day! Remember to keep moving!

KimK in Georgia (Augusta)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KimK GA ~ I live in Marietta north of Atlanta. The only time I have ever been to Augusta was once when my brother was flown there for burns he received when his hot water heater exploded. As far as I know, he was left unscarred.

Carol Ga