April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA this past weekend because it was my birthday, so I had a lot to catch up on! Amazing job to the Boston marathoners! Such an inspiration to me! I hope one day to do a full marathon. I got in 1.5 miles yesterday at Orangetheory, so I'm up to 19.5 for the month. I'd love to get a run in today, but we have work to be done in the house, so I don't think that is going to happen. I go to Orangetheory again tomorrow, so I hope to be over the 20 mile mark.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @kgirlhart Happy Birthday

@stoshew71 I was just thinking, you know you live in a running town when like 20 people from your local area ran in Boston yesterday.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4/2-3.3 miles
    4/3-3 miles
    4/5-3.5 miles
    4/6-2.5 miles
    4/8-4.2 miles
    4/9-5 miles
    4/14-5 miles
    4/17-6 miles
    total-32.5 miles

hoping for a better week of running. Colds gone, and my goal is to run 3 miles 3 times this week, and 7 miles this weekend.

also the Missoula half marathon I am for sure doing now, BUT I may do the full if my friend doesnt do the half with me. I know full well I will have to walk the majority of it because i wont be ready to run a full, but a couple people i know are doing it, and my coworker that is doing it is walking most of it. She did it last year and got second to last place, but shes trying to do better this year, but she said she will be walking 2/3s of it, so i may do it with them. we will see.

exercise.png

Training for:
    5/14-womens run-5mile
    7/10- Missoula Marathon-HM
    9/17- Montana Marathon-Full marathon
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    OK, that's the last time I check the weather ahead of this Saturday's Garmin Half Marathon. I'll try checking again the night before. According to the Weather Channel, temps will be around 46 to 48 degrees, rainy with 25 mph winds with occasional wind gusts over 40mph. :grimace: That should be a workout!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My update

4/1 8mi 1:14:29min
    4/2 rest
    4/3 4mi 34:55min
    4/4 4.55mi 43:06min
    4/5 rest
    4/6 5mi 46:47min
    4/7 3mi 25:53min
    4/8 9mi 1:24:34min
    4/9 rest
    4/10 5mi 45:44min
    4/11 7mi 1:03:31min
    4/12 rest
    4/13 4mi 35:51min
    4/14 3mi 26:07min
    4/15 10mi 1:35:12min
    4/16 rest
    4/17 5mi 46:22min
    4/18 4.3mi 38:55min

I did my last two runs on the treadmill. I normally would have run 5 miles outside, but I didn't want to miss any of the marathon coverage! I am so amazed and inspired by all the Boston marathon runners. I look at the qualifying times and know I will never be there, but it still inspires me to run!

I have a 5, 4, and 9 miler left this week and I'm done with week 5 of half marathon training. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it's gone so far. I do have a bit of anxiety before my long runs... does that go away after awhile?
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I will get my run in today or not. It is my birthday and I know there will be plans this evening. I already had family members telling me over the weekend that I am too thin and I am obsessive and I just don't want to deal with that today. But I am still debating taking off work early this afternoon to get my run in. Maybe I am obsessive. I'm still on track to meet my goal this month even if I totally skip today's run, but I'm a little disappointed to not get it in. On a positive note, I did finally sign up for my first 5K. I am pretty excited about it. It is a fundraiser for the local animal shelter so it should be pretty low key so I think that will be good for my first time. This is an annual 5K and it is usually in September but this year they changed it to May 6th.
    @kgirlhart - Awesome. I'm running my first 5K on May 6, too! It's to bring awareness to domestic violence in remembrance of a local woman. A sad but motivating cause....
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    stated looking for info on my 50k, and found this run by a guy who did it last year, Course will probably be the same this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/745685814
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    stated looking for info on my 50k, and found this run by a guy who did it last year, Course will probably be the same this year.

Very cool! That's less elevation than I would have thought, but then elevation numbers vary widely between devices so it could be more than the 4000' that log shows. Regardless, you'll be running/hiking on the SHT so it ain't going to be easy, that's for sure!

ETA: @MNLittleFinn for your reading pleasure:
    https://minneapolisrunning.com/wild-duluth-50k-race-recap/
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Very cool! That's less elevation than I would have thought, but then elevation numbers vary widely between devices so it could be more than the 4000' that log shows. Regardless, you'll be running/hiking on the SHT so it ain't going to be easy, that's for sure!

I figure that the races are called the toughest 50k and 100k in the midwest, so they will be pretty rough. For some training, I'm planning on going up and down the ski hills at Giant's Ridge. Starting to look at what different gear I might need. Is it sad that my way of getting my mind off of Marathon training is to look at gear for running an ultra?
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I just had an intervention with myself and came to a realization..... I now have accepted that I'll almost certainly never be fast enough to BQ, and I now realize that my relentless push toward ultra is a way for me to compensate for that...... I may always be slow, but if I can go slow for a LONG way, I can be OK with it........

........LOL, Saturday morning thoughts...... this is the problem with getting my LR done on Friday, and not getting a run in yet today.

After my first year of running, I thought the same. Now, I'm looking at the times and saying "if they don't update these, and I don't get slower, I could run Boston when I'm 60..."

But I'm 6 years into this running thing, and if I keep improving, I might BQ by the time I'm 50, instead! For the record, though - I'm already past 40, and I do realize that I'm supposed to start slowing down, rather than getting faster.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I suppose it could have been worse. They may have considered you suspicious enough to warrant a look around the woods where you were and an uncovering of the true nature of things. :lol:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    haha, I totally appreciate the number nerdiness, and fear not, I have it all accounted for. My mileage for the year is going to be progressively increasing, since I start my full marathon training plan in July, for Philly in November. Cuurent calculations, based on actuals so far, and scheduled miles for upcoming months, puts me at 1,929 miles through the end of November, which means I need to run 88 miles in December to hit 2,017.

Here is a taste of my planning craziness, lol. I have this hanging on my cubicle wall at work, and a copy at home. :D The number to the right of each month is my estimated mileage for that month, or actual if it's in pen, lol.

trc39q85jlqs.jpg

Ah, I see...very nice! Yeah, I was already well ahead of a similar "2017 in 2017" goal, thinking that I needed to get plenty of running in prior to the summer heat. Except now I'm signed up for a marathon in October with a couple of the ladies from my morning running group, so who the hell knows what kind of mileage I'll be racking up for this year!