Options
    Op I found exercising helped with tiredness
    With regards to the two shakes I will be polite and not comment
    Good luck
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    You're right, it's poison in excess. Fatty liver anyone?

In excess, even water can kill you. Water Intoxication anyone?
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Good luck

They're not really "shakes", it's raw veggies and fruit I'm juicing or blending. I call it a shake though. It's just food I'm drinking to get more nutrients and servings than I could have ingested otherwise for a brief period of time. Nothing more healthy than that.
  • Ddsb11
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Ok. First, I will admit, in the interest of full disclosure, that I feel a little bit judgmental about your method. But I do have a couple of legitimate questions that I ask in all sincerity because I don't understand the attraction of this method:
    1) why the need to reset? I guess I feel like if you are eating a healthy diet there shouldn't really be a need to reset. I honestly don't get it. What is going on with your body that makes you feel like you need to reset?
    2) how will you maintain your weight loss? I have a great deal of difficulty losing weight myself, and can't imagine what would happened to me, personally, if I tried to survive on two shakes and a meal, arrived at whatever weight I arrived at after a month, and then tried to maintain that weight on regular food. How do you do that?

Read the entire thread. All those questions have been covered. And also, how can you be judgmental about my "method" when you don't even know what it is? Thank you for asking, however, and admitting your judgments. But, I'm sure when you read my details you'll see this was blown completely out of proportion because of assumptions and general arguementativeness. So, again, thank you for taking the high road here.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Good luck

They're not really "shakes", it's raw veggies and fruit I'm juicing or blending. I call it a shake though. It's just food I'm drinking to get more nutrients and servings than I could have ingested otherwise for a brief period of time. Nothing more healthy than that.

Are you adding fat and protein?

Water soluble nutrients aren't stored, so excess is unnecessary and what happens after the 3 weeks? How is a brief spurt of excess vitamins going to help you?

Do you have a source for your claim that you get more nutrients by juicing/blending than if you were to eat the same produce?

I am still eating a meal and having snacks, so get my macros in.

The US National Library of Medicine is a good source, but no one said drinking it is better than eating it, just detailing why the benefits are apparent compared to eating them. It's proven you can consume more nutrients because you can consume more servings when it has been blended or juiced. Also, that many nutrients are leached by preparation, and that is an issue when people consume their fruits and vegetables. I'm not saying there's magic in anything, no one is, and if someone would rather eat their veggies go ahead. If they don't need to reset their routine and habits, good on them. This really is about you guys reaching, trying to find issue, and debate, over something unnecessarily.

I've already explained why I'm choosing this for a few weeks, multiple times. It's a benefit to get more servings which means more nutrition, play with flavors (I love ginger, beets, apples, spinach, kale, mint, so many variations), not to mention blending contains more healthy phytonutrients and fiber, and varied types of fruits and veggies are more utilized. It's impressive how quickly this turns around my digestive issues, sleeping patterns, energy, skin problems, mental clarity, and a multitude of issues, in a short amount of time. All the nutrition and water is a huge asset in that, and also shaking the routine rut I've been in for a couple months. Really a great way to transition into your healthy lifestyle shortly thereafter.

Other than that, this is as much mental as physical for me, if not more. If it helps kick start someone into a healthier routine, then great. Sometime we give ourselves goals, like me and 21 days, to curb my bad patterns, and replace them with my normal/eat-in-moderation lifestyle when I'm done.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All,

This thread has been cleaned up. I would like to remind everyone of the below rules:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

While discussion of varies methods are allowed to be opening discussed, please keep in mind that not everyone will follow your exact path. As long as the lifestyle does not encourage or promote unsafe weight loss techniques (like a very low calorie diet), then there should not be any issue with having an open discussion regarding that technique.

If there are any additional questions, please let a MFP moderator or staff member know.

psuLemon
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OP, I'd just make sure you are getting adequate levels of protein and fats in your diet, as they are essential macronutrients and support things like metabolism (P), muscle retention (P + resistance training), good hair and nail health (F) and hormone regulation (P+F). Carbs, while highly nutritious, are non essential.

ETA: Protein levels during weight loss are recommend to be .6-1g per lb of lean body mass (maybe more if you are athletic or lean) and fats are recommend to be .35-.6g per lb of lean body mass.
  • jenbeck18
    jenbeck18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe in reboots and not in the sense like a "computer" shutting off and turing on again however its more like a state of mind / body cleanse. Whenever I eat considerably under a standard caloric deficit and keep carbs low I always seem to enter that Keto "clean" state of mind where I get a lot more energy. Usually my skin clears up as well and I just generally have a better feeling of well being. I don't think this is sustainable, no, however times in my life during my service in the military and post military my body needed to just "unplug". Just like your diet I believe your nervous system can become "shot" form heavy deads, squats and sprints as well and could benefit greatly from de-loads or a built in rest week.

**My Bro Science opinion "some of it at least"

But at the end of the day anyone should be supported to do what they feel is right. Its not like going on a two shake a day thing is putting someone in physical jeopardy, and someone who would be put in harms way from something like this would probably already know their limitations.

msalicia07 good luck!

Thanks, and I'm saying it in the same way, reboot and reset is just a mental thing where I'm focusing on my priorities for the next 21 days, which will help immensely in getting me back into my normal healthy lifestyle I generally have. It is very much mental, but the physical perks of more energy and nutrition are always huge as well.

I did something similar. The military diet. I lost 3.5 then went back to MFP and kept going. Sometimes that does help mentally to get you to jumpstart so if the shakes do it then def try!!
  • jenbeck18
    Options
    what I want to know is what toxins are being cleansed and what bowel issues are being fixed from doing this?

My biggie was sugar. I had a wicked sweet tooth, once I started the twice daily shakes my carb and sugar cravings virtually disappeared. I have more energy, I sleep better, and my skin is clear.

if you are juicing you are still getting sugar. fruits and veggies have carbs(aka sugar).so how did those cravings go away? and how are you ridding your body of sugar/carbs? the only true way would be to not even include those and thats not healthy to do.

I don't juice. I have two GNC Total Lean shakes a day with 8oz of 1% milk. I have one healthy meal, usually for dinner. I have a piece of fruit in the afternoon as a snack. I meet all my macros and am right on with my calories most days.

it has sugars and artificial sweeteners in them too though.but hey whatever floats your boat lol

So on MFP we cant have artificial sweeteners or sugar?? Thats just dumb
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    what I want to know is what toxins are being cleansed and what bowel issues are being fixed from doing this?

My biggie was sugar. I had a wicked sweet tooth, once I started the twice daily shakes my carb and sugar cravings virtually disappeared. I have more energy, I sleep better, and my skin is clear.

if you are juicing you are still getting sugar. fruits and veggies have carbs(aka sugar).so how did those cravings go away? and how are you ridding your body of sugar/carbs? the only true way would be to not even include those and thats not healthy to do.

I don't juice. I have two GNC Total Lean shakes a day with 8oz of 1% milk. I have one healthy meal, usually for dinner. I have a piece of fruit in the afternoon as a snack. I meet all my macros and am right on with my calories most days.

it has sugars and artificial sweeteners in them too though.but hey whatever floats your boat lol

That was in response to someone saying that the toxin they were ridding their body of was sugar. If they're drinking a shake that has sugar, that just doesn't make sense. It's not a statement that one shouldn't have sugar, it's pointing out the fault in the argument.
  • jenbeck18
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »

That was in response to someone saying that the toxin they were ridding their body of was sugar. If they're drinking a shake that has sugar, that just doesn't make sense. It's not a statement that one shouldn't have sugar, it's pointing out the fault in the argument.

I know that, lol I was kind of being sarcastic but I didnt find anything wrong with the original posters post. Just my opinion...
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine good luck the good thing is you're eating food with it as well.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    With traveling, holiday, family and friend functions, I need to reset. For the next 21 days I'm having 2 shakes a day, and a sensible meal. I feel like it will be just as much of a mental relief as a physical one.

Anyone interested in a 21 day reboot? I'm also using this weigh in template that someone else shared, if anyone would like to utilize it as well

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R05TgMg7Xcv5rf5dAzfuNeaEOEJYtzeq5gBH5dEjnXg/edit?usp=sharing

^not sure why it won't let me link it, but the spreadsheet is there nonetheless.

Looking forward to it!

I started reading some responses and decided just to reply to you. I will try it with you. Thanks for the inspiration, and support. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    No thanks I prefer to eat my food

Sure. Why respond then.

I've been here for years, and it never ceases to amaze me how self righteous most of you are. Take a break.

*claps*
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    if youve been here for years why do you still believe your body needs resetting like its a broken machine? Not only will 2 shakes a day suck (youll lose your motivation fast everyone starts out all excited for any new diet) but you wont learn ANYTHING about how to feed yourself long term, Youll likely cause more damage to your body thn good with lack of nutrients, And in 21 days youll just end up putting weight on from not learning anything about how to feed yourself.

why so defensive if you don't like being told your being needlessly silly dont post on here, No ones attacking you just telling you the truth. Many of the people responding have lost huge amounts of weight and gained a ton of fitness/health. We know our stuff. Learn how to eat. Eat at calorie level. Stop complicating it

Wrong, there are tons of shakes out there that have all the nutrients you need in a day, Ensure, Herbalife, GNC Total Lean...to name a few. In fact, a child of a family friend has many health issues and cannot eat regular food, and his doctor told him that Ensure is the way to go. Many individuals in treatment for anorexia will also drink a shake similar to Ensure because it has all the nutrients you need to survive. If a reset is what she thinks she needs, who are you to say otherwise?

[post edited by MFP moderator]

This!