Hot HIIT

Options
123457»

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm Canadian in a northern city. It snowed last weekend and it will again. Few homes have central air here because it rarely gets that hot.

I learned to run in minus 20 C weather. The first time I wilted on a run was on a hot spring day.

I have no doubt my blood is as thick as molasses to keep my body furnace going.

The thought of an intense workout in a hot room...indescribably miserable.

What it comes down to is people thinking the more suffering they go through, the better the result will be. I get running in -20, I'm from Ottawa, so you need to be able to do it. Does running in -20 make it better than running in +20? No. As long as the work gets done.

I hear what you are saying, I think just for some people the challenge is desirable. Now as Ive said before its not for everyone and I dont think its necessary for everyone. But da*n I must say, it can really build mental toughness which is essential for some individuals.

And that is something different. If you want to run a death race through Death Valley because few people have done it, that is one thing. If you are doing it on the premise that it is somehow better and detoxifies you, you'd be wrong.

LOL I hear you there, I dont believe there is any benefits in the "detoxification" ideologies. But definitely can produce some serious bad @ssery mental fortitude.

100% it can. Along the same lines, does getting up at 4am to train make you better? No, but if its for a competition, it may help develop a mentality that you are willing to go further to win and creating a "winner's mindset."
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian in a northern city. It snowed last weekend and it will again. Few homes have central air here because it rarely gets that hot.

I learned to run in minus 20 C weather. The first time I wilted on a run was on a hot spring day.

What it comes down to is people thinking the more suffering they go through, the better the result will be. I get running in -20, I'm from Ottawa, so you need to be able to do it. Does running in -20 make it better than running in +20? No. As long as the work gets done.

I hear what you are saying, I think just for some people the challenge is desirable. Now as Ive said before its not for everyone and I dont think its necessary for everyone. But da*n I must say, it can really build mental toughness which is essential for some individuals.

Both "mental" and physical factors come into play when dealing with thermal stress. People are born with a level of tolerance for thermal stress just like everything else. One can train within one's "range" of tolerance, and one can maximize level of tolerance within that range, and one can certainly develop the "mental toughness" to push through the discomfort they feel when under thermal stress--within their range of tolerance. However, no amount of "will" can allow someone to perform outside of their inherited physiological structure. Bill Rodgers was arguably the top American marathoner in the mid-late 1970s. No amount of training, "will", or heat-acclimatization could allow him to perform at his elite level during warmer temps, which was the primary reason he never won an Olympic medal.

I definitely agree there are situations where the challenge of thermal stress can be beneficial or necessary. In this case, we are talking about a workout class where it is probably not desirable.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

And that is something different. If you want to run a death race through Death Valley because few people have done it, that is one thing. If you are doing it on the premise that it is somehow better and detoxifies you, you'd be wrong.

LOL I hear you there, I dont believe there is any benefits in the "detoxification" ideologies. But definitely can produce some serious bad @ssery mental fortitude.

100% it can. Along the same lines, does getting up at 4am to train make you better? No, but if its for a competition, it may help develop a mentality that you are willing to go further to win and creating a "winner's mindset."
    Azdak wrote: »

Both "mental" and physical factors come into play when dealing with thermal stress. People are born with a level of tolerance for thermal stress just like everything else. One can train within one's "range" of tolerance, and one can maximize level of tolerance within that range, and one can certainly develop the "mental toughness" to push through the discomfort they feel when under thermal stress--within their range of tolerance. However, no amount of "will" can allow someone to perform outside of their inherited physiological structure. Bill Rodgers was arguably the top American marathoner in the mid-late 1970s. No amount of training, "will", or heat-acclimatization could allow him to perform at his elite level during warmer temps, which was the primary reason he never won an Olympic medal.

I definitely agree there are situations where the challenge of thermal stress can be beneficial or necessary. In this case, we are talking about a workout class where it is probably not desirable.

Both statements I can live with haha, just happy to see we kind of all come to agreeance even tho I think my thought patterns fell stray of OP's original post lol.

But in life and business I always tend to think mental toughness = success. Im sorry to say Ive never seen a weak minded individual become a winner. Not that they have not, maybe have accomplished this feat? but everyone always has these crazy obstacles they have overcame in every great victory.

Good luck to you all think I posted in this thread enough, now I'm to off topic lol.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    old_me wrote: »
    Let's be more positive here....This MFP is supposed to be encouraging and a learning platform. No need to attack someone for asking a question. If you have concerns with someone's workout, just state your advice and leave the negative opinion out of it. It's up to the person to take or not take the advice.

Sometimes it's not clear whether something like this is trolling, or just idiocy. It's amusing to wind up trolls.

Fwiw as much of it becomes about making clear to readers who might be coming to one of these threads without experience that someone is talking bollox.

Uncritical cheerleading isn't helpful

As for calories burned during your HIIT...Maybe get yourself a fitbit of something similar. Use it to track your heart rate to get a more accurate idea of the calories you personally burn during the workout.

Notwithstanding that HR is a dreadful metric to base a calorie estimate on, in the circumstances asked about it'll give an inflated reading.

The originator is possibly doing circuit training. It's not HIIT. Doing it in a hot room won't burn more calories than doing it in a cold room, but HR would be higher as a result of the thermal stress.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure if there is any actual caloric burn difference between doing hiit in a hot room as opposed to a room with a cooler temperature. I figure it's like wearing a sauna suit while working out, it's mainly to help you sweat more and lose water weight, not burn extra calories. I use a polar water with hrm to get an estimate on my calories burned during a cardio session but if you don't have one of those, maybe look up how to get an estimate on calorie burns through taking your heart rate at certain intervals of your exercise and calculate from there. Good luck.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    I'm unsure if there is any actual caloric burn difference between doing hiit in a hot room as opposed to a room with a cooler temperature. I figure it's like wearing a sauna suit while working out, it's mainly to help you sweat more and lose water weight, not burn extra calories. I use a polar water with hrm to get an estimate on my calories burned during a cardio session but if you don't have one of those, maybe look up how to get an estimate on calorie burns through taking your heart rate at certain intervals of your exercise and calculate from there. Good luck.

Just realized I typed polar water instead of polar watch lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I do my water aerobics in a 90° pool. Does it help weight loss? No. Does it help loosen stiff muscles? It seems to. Also, if the water temp is closer to 92° the instructor lowers the intensity of the workout for safety reasons.

I have also noticed that if I spend 5 minutes in the steamroom after being in chlorine I don't smell as much like the chlorine. Am I cleansing my pores by sweating out the chlorine? Maybe. Am I detoxing anything? No way.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I do my water aerobics in a 90° pool. Does it help weight loss? No. Does it help loosen stiff muscles? It seems to. Also, if the water temp is closer to 92° the instructor lowers the intensity of the workout for safety reasons.

I have also noticed that if I spend 5 minutes in the steamroom after being in chlorine I don't smell as much like the chlorine. Am I cleansing my pores by sweating out the chlorine? Maybe. Am I detoxing anything? No way.
    Along the same lines, I would suffer through a swim workout in 90 degree pool temps. I mean I could do it, but I'd be slower and have a real hard time sprinting. I would also need a lot of water! Lol!

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »

Along the same lines, I would suffer through a swim workout in 90 degree pool temps. I mean I could do it, but I'd be slower and have a real hard time sprinting. I would also need a lot of water! Lol!

That is why the lap pool is 80°-82°. No way could I swim in the warm therapy pool.
  • old_me
    old_me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Heart rate monitors are essentially useless for tracking calories for anything other than steady state cardio.

Courtesy of @Azdak:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Good to know as I've always been told HRMs were good estimating tools. Hmmm...Need to rethink the HRM. Thx for the link.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »

That is why the lap pool is 80°-82°. No way could I swim in the warm therapy pool.
    I'd actually prefer about 79!
  • old_me
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Let's be more positive here....This MFP is supposed to be encouraging and a learning platform. No need to attack someone for asking a question. If you have concerns with someone's workout, just state your advice and leave the negative opinion out of it. It's up to the person to take or not take the advice.

As for calories burned during your HIIT...Maybe get yourself a fitbit of something similar. Use it to track your heart rate to get a more accurate idea of the calories you personally burn during the workout.

@old_me

People aren't attacking the person - they are attacking a really daft workout idea.
    It's not HIIT and deliberately over-heating is a really silly idea, guaranteed to produce an ineffective workout.
    Blind encouragement of a bad idea isn't at all supportive or helpful.

By the way... Neither a FitBit and certainly not a HRM would be at all suitable for guessing calorie burns.

I agree that it seems unsafe to do hot HIIT....I myself would faint. I wasn't suggesting encouragement. Just suggesting that giving constructive feedback could be done without attack. Some people I the thread seemed to direct negativity to the original person who started the thread. If they didn't mean to attack, you could see from other responses that it may have been interpreted as such.

As for calorie tracking, how do you track? All I have is a Fitbit, but wouldn't mind learning about a how to train k more acurately. ...Maybe a question for another thread.
  • old_me
    Options
    *how to track more accurately*