Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I love it when it all gets down to athlete pics to "prove" that BMI does not work for us common people. The sad truth is that for most of us, at a BMI of 25 or even 24 or for many 23, we are not looking that good any more. The fact that there are lots of people in whatever country one might be who are very overweight, it really does not change anything.

So 22 is the magic number.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love it when it all gets down to athlete pics to "prove" that BMI does not work for us common people. The sad truth is that for most of us, at a BMI of 25 or even 24 or for many 23, we are not looking that good any more. The fact that there are lots of people in whatever country one might be who are very overweight, it really does not change anything.

It depends on how you are built and how athletic you are. For me, who have a small frame, ideally this would be around 19. for someone else it might be 22, but I have yet to meet a single person who really looked good at the upper part of normal BMI and was not spending a lot of time at sports (a lot meaning not just an hour every day or every other day as most of us "amateur athletes" do).
  • Therealobi1
    Options

It depends on how you are built and how athletic you are. For me, who have a small frame, ideally this would be around 19. for someone else it might be 22, but I have yet to meet a single person who really looked good at the upper part of normal BMI and was not spending a lot of time at sports (a lot meaning not just an hour every day or every other day as most of us "amateur athletes" do).

i wont speak about other people's best bmi, but for me at my height and build those bmi's quoted would make me look sick. that doesnt mean giving up it means working on recomping.
  • LKArgh
    edited April 2017
    Options

i wont speak about other people's best bmi, but for me at my height and build those bmi's quoted would make me look sick. that doesnt mean giving up it means working on recomping.

And this why different things work for different people. The BMI of 25 mentioned from this previous poster might be crazy low for some, it might be very high for others. Someone might call sickly thin what someone else calls very chubby. To give an example, goal BMIs and goal weights I often see from some posters are far ABOVE the highest BMI/weight I have ever found myself, as I would start trying to correct things much earlier. Obviously others do not feel this way, or this wouldn't be their goal. Different people have different preferences and possibly different cultures or even different friends influence each of us in a different way.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ^ That's what I saw. But I did see where it said "fat people are bouncy"

is this a good place to insert the cuddle factor? i guess not, but i've been thinking all day about how it hasn't even come up and the thread seems to be in the disarray stage anyway, so oh well.

But everybody can cuddle <3 ...even the skinny people. :(

oh sure. um, but . . . well, i know which n=2 guys out of my own limited sample get the give-good-hug prize.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

:o I hope not! I'm sitting at 21.6 right now. If my husband kicks me to the curb because I'm close to the max, then good riddance to him. :D

18gk46cnrbvs.jpg
  • Therealobi1
    Options

:o I hope not! I'm sitting at 21.6 right now. If my husband kicks me to the curb because I'm close to the max, then good riddance to him. :D

18gk46cnrbvs.jpg

lol, he wouldnt dare you look great,
  • LKArgh
    edited April 2017
    Options

And this why different things work for different people. The BMI of 25 mentioned from this previous poster might be crazy low for some, it might be very high for others. Someone might call sickly thin what someone else calls very chubby. To give an example, goal BMIs and goal weights I often see from some posters are far ABOVE the highest BMI/weight I have ever found myself, as I would start trying to correct things much earlier. Obviously others do not feel this way, or this wouldn't be their goal. Different people have different preferences and possibly different cultures or even different friends influence each of us in a different way.

i agree with the different people different preferences, but to deny a whole group of people and make like they are faulty goods who will be left on the shelf (this isnt aimed at your post).

See now i understand why people post about being scared to jog, being scared to go to the gym etc, because there are posters like we have seen that think unpleasant things about them.

You are making the assumption that not thinking of someone as "slim" means that this person looks awful or needs to be judged. I hate the look of beards on men. I do not judge them for it, I do not look at them, I do not care if they jog or join the gym. I just do not personally find them attractive. Which is OK, because my goal in life is not to get romantically involved with hundreds of people and I have no problem working or being friends with men with beards. Same for someone who is chubby, really overweight or very obese. I can still be friends with him/her, I do not stare at them as if they are weird, I can still appreciate if they have nice hair, beautiful eyes or nicely shaped legs.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    maxhan231 wrote: »
    The man has a point. There's plenty of fit girls out there who think their gods gift to men and that by just showing up to sex they're doing you a huuuge favor. Meanwhile a (pardon my phrasing) chubby girl might be more stoked to be at it.

The girls I date or hook up with are usualy pretty fit. But I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to think outside the box every now and then. The best ONS I ever had was with a girl who had 10 or so pounds on me.

So then a lot of fit girls just phone it in (because presumably they think they're so awesome they don't have to make an effort), while chubby girls (sounds like you're saying they're more desperate) are more eager to please in bed? I mean, I'm not saying this is true because I don't believe it's true, but that's kinda how it reads to me... :/

Maybe it is true. I don't even know. I've never been with any fit chicks, chubby chicks, or any chicks at all for that matter, so I don't really know... ;)

There are definitely people who phone it in, but my experiences with fit partners have been a lot more exciting than with someone who's out of shape and has to stop to rest all the time.
    ^ That's what I saw. But I did see where it said "fat people are bouncy"

is this a good place to insert the cuddle factor? i guess not, but i've been thinking all day about how it hasn't even come up and the thread seems to be in the disarray stage anyway, so oh well.

I'd rather cuddle with muscles than fat.

Everybody wants to believe they're the outlier.

Almost all of them are wrong. The actual problems with BMI are that it tends to be inaccurate for the very short, the very tall, and under states the number of people who have too much body fat at a normal weight. Great, so a professional MMA fighter whose body is his entire livelihood maintains a low body fat percentage at a BMI that is overweight and a lot of people who are in denial about their actual physical composition try to use that to indicate that they're not fat.

For the vast majority of people, if BMI says you're overweight... you've got too much fat.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options

i agree with the different people different preferences, but to deny a whole group of people and make like they are faulty goods who will be left on the shelf (this isnt aimed at your post).

See now i understand why people post about being scared to jog, being scared to go to the gym etc, because there are posters like we have seen that think unpleasant things about them.

Perhaps work on your confidence instead of worrying about what others are thinking?

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

See now i understand why people post about being scared to jog, being scared to go to the gym etc, because there are posters like we have seen that think unpleasant things about them.[/quote]

Perhaps work on your confidence instead of worrying about what others are thinking?

[/quote]

Perhaps stop judging people and just do what suits you!
  • SpotLighttt
    edited April 2017
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

Perhaps stop judging people and just do what suits you!

This is silly.

How do you tap into someones thought process though? If you go around assuming people are thinking or in words judging you then isnt that your problem and not someone elses?

If you are scared to go to the gym because you *think* others find you fat then surely that is your problem?
    To respond by suggesting others shouldn't judge - how do you know you are being judged?

bizarre
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »
    Has this really devolved into who is better at sex?

Lol. Well, based on my experience, size really doesn't matter. What did matter was a combination of experience, generosity, and chemistry.

Because some people think fat equals unable to perform...

I didn't actually see anybody say that fat people couldn't perform sexually. It was rather that some people on the thread don't find fat people sexually attractive. Not everybody is sexually attracted to thin people, either, though. It's just a preference thing. We can like what we like. It's all good.

(I did, however, see people talking about fit people not being too great at it, mainly due to the naturally selfish and/or narcissistic qualities of attractive folks. And then there was that one guy who says he's fit and not that great in bed, but that could just be because he's worn himself out with all that cycling he's doing...) B);)>:)
    Hmmmm., it has been implied that only fit people have stamina, endurance and flexibility. It's been implied that fat people can't keep up in bed....

^ That's what I saw. But I did see where it said "fat people are bouncy" and bouncy = "good bam bam." :D I did not infer from that statement that non-bouncy = bad "bam bam"... though perhaps one could? ;)

Lol, not the bouncy bouncy one that's funny
    Being overweight impacts performance in a negative way is the quote.
    The amusing thing is over 25 is the magic number, am sure there are fit people at bmi 26

Yes, this thread has been entertaining... :joy:

I'm guessing that was probably meant to be more of an example (depending on the individual) and not really a hard line for everyone. For some people, 25 would be borderline overweight and for others it's still perfectly fit. For a few outliers, 24 might even be a little high. For example: My husband is fit and hot as hell (to me, anyway ;) ) and his BMI is 25.8. The doctor says not to worry, though. He says my husband is athletic and muscular, so not to worry about BMI in his case. For me, though, my blood tests are showing bad things at a BMI of 23.5 (I've never been higher than that.) I have to stay around 20-22 to get all my tests out of the risk range, because I'm some kind of a genetic mutant. My doctor thinks my particular genes call for me to be more on the slim side - lower than average in body fat - to stay healthy.

Maybe there's too much of a focus on the BMI of 25, when that was (I think) just a hypothetical. And even if it wasn't, who am I to judge another person's standards? It doesn't even matter if you think about it. This whole thread is taking itself way too seriously...LOL.

lcoxwwgvecjz.jpeg
    *hugs for everyone*

So cute! Makes me think of (in the following because there can be too many images in one post).
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

There are people who I judge at the gym.
    • People who don't wipe the machines.
    • People who don't re-rack their weights.
    • People who do curls in the squat rack.
    • People who camp on a machine to not use it for anything other than selfies.
    • People who bring little kids and let them run amok in the work out areas.
    • People who are eating on the machines.

I had to add the last one after literally seeing someone drop french fries on a treadmill. Seriously.

Most everyone else at the gym gets a very passing acknowledgement that they even exist, although I will sometimes take a look at someone who catches my eye, but then it's right back to focusing on the one thing that really matters to me at the gym. Me.
  • SpotLighttt
    Options

There are people who I judge at the gym.
    • People who don't wipe the machines.
    • People who don't re-rack their weights.
    • People who do curls in the squat rack.
    • People who camp on a machine to not use it for anything other than selfies.
    • People who bring little kids and let them run amok in the work out areas.
    • People who are eating on the machines.

I had to add the last one after literally seeing someone drop french fries on a treadmill. Seriously.

Most everyone else at the gym gets a very passing acknowledgement that they even exist, although I will sometimes take a look at someone who catches my eye, but then it's right back to focusing on the one thing that really matters to me at the gym. Me.

I go at 5:30am in the morning. there are only a handful of members working out and they keep to their own as do I.

I don't lift the heaviest, Im not the most athletic or the fittest but Im focused and I don't care what anyone is *thinking* or *judging*

but yes the list you mentioned is valid however ive only ever personally witnessed::

[*]People who don't re-rack their weights.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    lol I was just trying to make a joke :lol:
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Did you read what I wrote