Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    I'm weighing in at 166.5 - down a pound from last week!

My secret for getting in all my water every day: I have a 32 oz. water bottle on my desk at work - that's 4 cups. I just sip on that throughout the day instead of sodas or tea. I have another 32 oz. water bottle at home that I carry around with me when I work out, cook dinner, watch TV or whatever. There's my 8 cups!

i have 3 cup bottle that i fill in the morning and finish by lunch, fill it again after eating lunch to finish by the time i go home where i fill it again to finish before bed. that gets me 9 cups in for the day.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm STUCK STUCK STUCK at 179.....~grumble~ It's been 3 weeks now and the scale isn't budging and I'm so discouraged! And last thursday I pulled a calf muscle which makes working out limited for a while. I so scared to start gaining again.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm STUCK STUCK STUCK at 179.....~grumble~ It's been 3 weeks now and the scale isn't budging and I'm so discouraged! And last thursday I pulled a calf muscle which makes working out limited for a while. I so scared to start gaining again.

Hey Liz. Your food diary's not open for viewing - do you eat back your exercise calories? I've read so many posts on MFP from people who started losing again after upping their food intake to include the exercise calories. You also might want to try zig-zagging with some high-cal and low-cal days throughout the week to keep your metabolism guessing. Hope your leg is better soon. Good luck this week!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Weighing in at 197.5
  • the_accountinator
    Options
    Hello Fellow Ravenclaws!!

I'm weighing in today at 283.4, which is down 0.2 since DH.2 but still up a bit from my lowest (280.2). It's the end of vacation week and I'm determined to get back to exercising!

I know you're supposed to aim for 8 cups of water everyday but I usually drink on average about 12 cups. I know that seems like a lot but as big as I am, 8 cups just doesn't cut it for me, especially when I exercise. I veer more toward the idea of drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces (which if I were to do that I'd be drinking like 18 cups a day which I'll admit is a little crazy!).

I said all of that to say, I'll be aiming for the higher end of my spectrum for this week at 15 cups. My secret to getting there: I use a 2-cup cup at work and try to have one wtih each of my meals (breakfast, morn snack, lunch, afternoon snack). It also helps me get out from in front of my computer, which I have a tendency to get too focused on something and lose track of time.

So, here we go! Let's keep the Ravenclaw spirit alive by making smart choices and bettering ourselves!

"I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick!" - Professor Flitwick
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm late to the common room party! Lol. Hello again Ravenclaws!!! I must say that I have missed all of you. I am so incredibly happy to join in on all of the HP fun again! So, my current weight is 162.4... up quite a bit from the end of the challenge, but I am pretty sure most of that is water weight... The challenges this week definitely sound like something I can achieve. To get my water in, I drink from a 32oz bottle as well... it's just an old Gatorade bottle that I've been re-using!
  • Sarac715
    Sarac715 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm still at 142. I have a big water bottle (50 oz i believe) and I try to drink one of those before I go to work in the morning and refill it and try to have another bottleful after my workout when I get home. I also have a brita on my desk at work so I think with all of that I get my daily water requirement in. I also have bottles with crystal light, but i don't know if that counts.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I find the best way to make me remember my water is to drink something as soon as I wake up, because then I remember to do it the rest of the day. If I forget, then I generally get to lunch without having a drink, and it's hard to fit it all in after that without feeling like you're drowning!

I'm going to add in to the challenge if that's ok - you should also add an extra cup (at least) for every 30 minutes of exercise that you do, and, especially as I know it's super hot over there in the US and Canada at the moment, if you're out in the heat for more than about 20 minutes!

As for the exercise challenge, I am currently doing this challenge : http://www.twohundredsitups.com/ for another thread if anyone is stuck for ab exercises!

Also, are we adding our house points to the total we had in the previous challenge (pre DH2) or starting anew in this thread?
    Enjoy your Monday everybody!
  • psb13
    Options
    good morning fellow Common Roomers!! Happy Monday! One of the challenges this week is going to be hard for me. one of the weak areas in my workout is abs. i mostly do cardio but really need to step up everything else. i am going to do my best this week. water shouldn't be a problem though. best of lock for a great day to all. :bigsmile:
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey Ravenclaws, not much change for me this week unfortunately :( down to 146.6
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Just sneaking a peak before I start working. :laugh: My boss wouldn't be too pleased if he caught me here during work hours!

@lottee1000 - we're starting the house point count fresh since we have new people joining in. And it will go week to week instead of accumulating.

@psb13 - abs are the weak spot in my routine too - that's why I added them. But 10 minutes doing abs seemed like a really LLOONNGG time yesterday!!

Have a wonderful day!! (now off to work :wink: )
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i'm weighing in at 216.4 =)

soo excited for this challenge!!

water should be a good challenge for me....but i'm not so sure about the ab workouts lol ;)
  • _gwen
    Options
    ...10 minutes doing abs seemed like a really LLOONNGG time yesterday!!

No kidding!
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Morning Ravenclaws! Sorry I didn't weigh in yesterday, the scale in my house isn't very reliable and I wasn't feeling up to working out until today. But, I did weigh myself and I'm down to *drumroll*

234!

That's...

7 POUNDS LOST! IN A WEEK!

It's mostly water weight I think. There's no other reason, because I really didn't work out that often nor did I eat too little. But I'm pretty pleased.

These challenges will definitely be that: challenges! Especially the abs one. I hate working my abs, because that's what hurts the most!
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Morning Ravenclaws! (well, it's Tuesday morning here but we are in the future...)

Found a good website here:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/ss/Quick-Core-Workout.htm

It has a good workout for strengthening your core and abs, and should take just over ten minutes. We can do anything for ten minutes, right?!

Good luck with the challenges today!!

ps Bethanyweathers 7lb is amazing!! Well done!!
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Here are the results of our first weigh-in:

Ravenclaw07.24.11.jpg

Looks like Bethanyweathers is our Prefect for the week. Way to go Bethany!!
  • psb13
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Ravenclaws!! hoping for a better day today. i ended up working late yesterday which totally blew the plan of going to the gym after work...thusly, i did not burn off the calories i had intended to and was waaaay over for the day. :ohwell: on the up side, my water intake was great!! hoping to make it to the gym after work today. Have a great day everyone. :bigsmile:
    PS to Bethanyweathers-AWESOME!!!! congrats :drinker:
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I had a difficult day yesterday too - just no energy for a workout. Did ok on food, though - just a litte over. Drank all my water but no abs work. I'll try again today.

@lottee100 - thanks for the website suggestion! I'm going to check it out this evening when I get home.

Have a wonderful day Ravenclaws!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Greetings Ravenclaws! I headed back to the gym today (first time since pulling my calf muscle). Though I stayed away from the cardio machines, I did get a get a good 30 minutes of vigorous swimming in and a lot of weight training. I probably spent a good 20 minutes on abs using various machines.

I can't say I've been a successful with the water intake, although I am drinking more these days than I have in the past..

It felt great to get back to the workout. I was in a slump there for a while. Thank you to all for your encouragement, especially Azsuzi:happy:
  • _gwen
    Options
    Not my best day...I got up to go work out and by the time my brain turned on I was in the shower?!?

Food was ok, but I should have known that flavored yogurt is really not my thing. I was still feeling hungry after my evening meal, so opted for 3oz of ham instead of a bowl of cereal with milk...