How did you decide your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    My goal weight seems to be very fluid. When I was 335 my goal weight was 195. Then as I got closer I realized "Holy crap, BMI is.... ACCURATE? But I thought everyone said it was BS?" so my goal weight became 185 (the top end of healthy BMI for me). Then as I got to 190s I realize at 185 I'd still be chubby. Currently my new goal weight is to maintain between 170 and 175. But we will again reassess when I hit 175.
  • BoomyBabe
    BoomyBabe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I chose mine because I am 5'2 and at my highest, I was 234 lbs. I had no idea what a thin or healthy body looked like or weight looked like... so I just chose the highest weight for a "healthy BMI" As of right now, my goal weight is 136 lbs.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I don't give a hoot what I weigh, but I do want to get my BF% in the low 20's. I'm currently at 27%.
  • RhondaHage
    RhondaHage Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and started keto January 2016 @ 250 pounds. Right now I'm at 169 and my goal is to get to 145. I don't know if that is realistic or not, so that is just a general number. I'm in size 12 now and would be happy to be wearing single digits. Its getting harder to lose now, so I have to work really hard at it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a prior weight to work from. I've never been thin or lean. I've been fat, or less fat. I googled ideal weight and it gave me a range of 133-138, so that's what I'm aiming for. I'm currently at 150, and am guessing that 135 will be pretty accurate.
  • natasha_hal1
    natasha_hal1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I almost 5'5 (only a couple centimeters off!!) and I think that my goal weight is going to be 128. When I was in middle school, I weighed in the middle 130s and remember feeling good about myself. I set my original goal on here to 135 and currently I am 137.2. I just feel like I am still "fluffy" and think aiming for the lower 130's or higher 120's would look really good on my body type. I have been doing Strong Lifts since January so we will see what weight I will end up happy at.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" and started at 100kg so choosing 60kg as a goal put me at the upper range of a healthy BMI. Now aiming for 59kg (130lbs) so I'm in the 50's and then will decide if I want to go further. I'm currently just aiming at getting to "overweight" - 75kg and under

You'll make it :-) I'm 5'2" and started out at 95.5kg and weighed in today at 54kg. My initial goal was 60.4kg and I met that last July.... but once I got there I reassessed and have kept going. I'm now aiming for 52kg and will then see how that feels. At the end of the day it needs to be both comfortable and sustainable. It's taken me 3 years to get this far and I don't want to return to where I was.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Because it was the recommended weight range that I was supposed to be at to be healthy
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I went for the high end of my normal BMI range. I was lower than that 30 years ago, but didn't think I wanted/needed to get to that point again. It was a good decision because once I got to my normal range, I basically stopped losing. I was unable to cut back further to create the deficit needed to keep going another 20 lbs. I am thrilled where I am. 150 lb lost. 2 1/2 years.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The most beautiful thing about choosing a goal weight is that it's not written in stone - you can change it any time you want to. If you set your goal for, say, 140 lbs., but decide when you hit 150 that you're happy there, you can just switch to maintenance and call it good. If you hit 140 and discover you still want to go lower, you just change your goal and keep on keepin' on until you reach a point where you're satisfied.

It helps to have something to aim at, so pick a goal that sounds reasonable to you and head that way. Re-assess as you go and re-establish new goals as you see fit. The beauty of it is that you're not locked into anything.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    Because it was the recommended weight range that I was supposed to be at to be healthy

Me too.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My doctor set a healthy weight range for my body at 145-165 and originally my goal was just to reach and stay in that range. Now my goal is a body fat percentage below 25%
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LOL! I haven't been a size 2 since I was 2! I was athletic or did blue collar work most of my under-35 years. But because I am made from good, solid, peasant stock, even "skinny," I've never been skinny. I've got big bones, and shoulders like a linebacker.
    I'd love to be a not-one-ounce-of-fat-on-me 125 again, and do that while eating hot, fresh donuts every morning, and burgers with fries for lunch. But that was the year I was a chair lift operator, and you just burn wicked amounts of calories at that job.
    135 is probably a really healthy weight for me, but because I am 57, I don't expect to achieve that. I have a post menopausal metabolism, and even though I have taken up running in my 50s, and enjoy it quite a lot, I really only expect to get down to 145. But here's the thing: I feel good when I'm 145. I have a waist when I am 145. So that's how I picked my goal weight. I choose reasonable over unattainable.
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Being heavy since middle school I never had a goal weight because I didn't know what it was like to be thin as a teen/young adult.
    Finally got down to around 140 in highschool and still felt unsatisfied.
    My current goal range is 130-145 but with weight lifting. I had zero muscle then and was very weak.
    Not too set on the number though. It's more about how I look and feel.
    I'm 5'6
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I looked at the healthy weight range charts for my height, and my goal weight is the lowest weight for someone my height with a large frame/large build. I'm 5'7 and my mother is 5'2, so she's significantly shorter than me. When I was a teenager I can remember starving myself and being 10 kilos lighter (around 22 pounds) than her. She gave me some of her rings to try on, and despite my being significantly thinner than her in terms of weight, I couldn't put these rings on my fingers. So this is why I feel I have a large frame/large build and why I am aiming to be in the top of my healthy weight range. Its a healthy weight for my particular body.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I actually don't have a set goal. I'm only 5'4 and I started out at 265. The goal I set here is 145, but I don't think that's my final goal. It's still a bit heavy for me, but I'm not sure what I'll eventually strive for. Because of my build and, well, the fact I'm busty even when thin, I didn't look healthy at 120 - a lifetime ago. I'll probably aim for something closer to 130, but I have a long way to go before I get there.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The most beautiful thing about choosing a goal weight is that it's not written in stone - you can change it any time you want to. If you set your goal for, say, 140 lbs., but decide when you hit 150 that you're happy there, you can just switch to maintenance and call it good. If you hit 140 and discover you still want to go lower, you just change your goal and keep on keepin' on until you reach a point where you're satisfied.

It helps to have something to aim at, so pick a goal that sounds reasonable to you and head that way. Re-assess as you go and re-establish new goals as you see fit. The beauty of it is that you're not locked into anything.

Absolutely agree 100%!

I've always used bodyfat %, rather than weight as my goal. My particular build doesn't work well with any charts, even at (what I expect to be) 10% body fat, according to BMI i'll be overweight.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just kind of guessed a weight that was in the middle of my "healthy" BMI zone. We'll see if it's the right fit for me once i actually reach it, lol.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been fat since my early teens, so I really have no idea what I would look like after losing. So I googled ideal bodyweight for someone of my height, found like eight different answers, and averaged them together.

For the record, I'm 5'11" and my goal weight is 161. When I hit that weight--and I will--I will maintain for a month or two and decide what to do. I have a suspicion that the best weight for me will be in the 180s, but I'll figure that out after hitting my goal.

Right now I'm at about 240, so I have quite a way to go before that becomes an issue.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ILoveGoal wrote: »
    Using this website: https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/ideal-body-fat-weight
    © 2017 FitWatch, all rights reserved

Enter your average weight, body fat, choose being (fe)male, and using imperial or metric.. click calculate and seeing at which weight range you'd be when reaching x body fat percentage.

Possible being at a bit higher weight when exercising due (gaining) muscle mass (not wanting to loose muscle but fat), though being leaner (lower body fat %).

So, for laughs I tried this site.

I'm 6', 240lbs and (according to my Withings scale) 33% BF. Putting aside the scale accuracy on BF, the site gave me between 187 and 201 for athletic (not my goal), 203 to 211 for fitness (my goal) and 214 to 233 for average.

Big difference between that and having a BMI of 25 at 180.