Do you think fat people "ought" to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is extremely disproportionate or has weirdly short arms I find it hard to believe they can't reach to wash at 200lbs, that's all I am saying.

Maybe he started using deodorant after he felt he looked good enough to score with chicks.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is extremely disproportionate or has weirdly short arms I find it hard to believe they can't reach to wash at 200lbs, that's all I am saying.

Maybe he started using deodorant after he felt he looked good enough to score with chicks.

Could be =D.

And he was over 200lbs...hell, a few short months ago...I was 200lbs. He had to be pushing close to 300...but the weight is irrelevant really. He was larger than your profile picture by a fair margin...to close the gap in the explanation via comparison.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I feel it is the most selfish form of acting out that a person can do.

So ...methamphetamine abuse, anorexia, having unprotected sex with strangers, dangerous driving, cutting - all these things PALE in the face of the great evil that is being 200lbs? Really?

Yeah, pretty much.
    I feel it is the most selfish form of acting out that a person can do.

So ...methamphetamine abuse, anorexia, having unprotected sex with strangers, dangerous driving, cutting - all these things PALE in the face of the great evil that is being 200lbs? Really?

Nope, they're all pretty equal in my eyes.

Please stop trying to rationalize things so you can hear what you truly want to hear.

Am I the only one seeing these replies in the light they were intended? With a slight amount of sarcasm, due to the absolute blinders the original poster is purposefully wearing. Additionally, in the first example...the woman clearly has explained that someone in her life is experiencing pretty serious health issues if I recall, due to an absolute lack of willpower to take care of their weight. If drugs, sex with strangers, cutting, and any other evil you can mention AREN'T affecting me...and my husband/wife being obese/overweight is...you bet it moves up the ladder. The fact that you won't look from anyone elses perspective, yet expect us all to see your own...is very, very telling.

I don't judge people, purposefully. That being said, when I am hiring, and I see an overweight lady come in for a job as a traffic flagger...versus a younger, healthy male...you bet I make a judgement. Very likely, the younger, healthy male will be ABLE TO WORK HARDER, AND DO MORE, and thus increase the value of my hourly pay I am offering.

That's judgement.

Also, when I strap myself into an airline seat, and in comes a 5'4" 200lb (to use your limit) woman to the seat next to me...I can't say I'm pleased. Nor were the people all the way down the aisle that had to move, shift, shuffle, and be physically disturbed/contacted by her making her way to her seat.

Again, instant judgement...whether she, or I like it or not.

In every day life (excepting those kinds of situations) do I really care whether someone is overweight or no? Absolutely not.

Take what you want from this...but realize, society has prejudices built right on in. Ignoring them is tantamount to jumping out a two story building and expecting not to fall...because you choose not to believe in the laws of phsyics. The slap you'll receive when reality hits might sting a little.

It seems to me like obesity is an issue when it has somehow interrupted your 'groove'. But I don't see how it's like being promiscuous or using drugs. Those things put people's lives in danger. It's not just an inconvenience to have a venereal disease or to be killed by a drug-user. My second-youngest uncle is in prison for life for killing someone while he was high on heroin. I would prefer that he had gotten fat.

Derived from above... Just a thought. How many people on this thread would feel that their "groove" was interrupted if they noticed that their pilot (s) was obese?

Why would that matter? :huh: I've never even seen the pilots of any of my flights, and I've been flying regularly since I was 3. If I'm on an airplane that can't support an obese person...get me the hell off that airplane.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    If I'm on an airplane that can't support an obese person...get me the hell off that airplane.

Amen!

=D
  • HettyBattersea
    Options
    I've got more important things to worry about than some naturally skinny jerk telling me I "ought" to lose weight because I am obese. I also have more important things to consider instead of worrying about someone else's weight. I have FINALLY found a way to lose weight and BE HEALTHY at the same time. And if my way doesn't work for you then so what. Hopefully you'll pull your judgemental head out of your butt.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I've got more important things to worry about than some naturally skinny jerk telling me I "ought" to lose weight because I am obese. I also have more important things to consider instead of worrying about someone else's weight. I have FINALLY found a way to lose weight and BE HEALTHY at the same time. And if my way doesn't work for you then so what. Hopefully you'll pull your judgemental head out of your butt.

:drinker:
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I don't think anyone else ought to be doing anything. I agree it's a load of hogwash people using "health concern" to try to dictate what other people should eat or do.
    I would like my parents and some of my friends to eat better/consume less alcohol (respectively), but weight isn't the issue. I'm just selfish and want them around for me. In any case, I don't care what strangers do unless it infringes on my rights or the rights of others.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Seems to be some VERY delusional people in this thread lol
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    If they want to be fat, that is their choice. BUT DO NOT EXPECT me to pay for any issues related to it, i.e. socialized medicine.

Nor should they be entitled to park in the handicapped spots due to anything health issues caused by their choice of being fat.

This is actually closest to where I stand I suppose. You guys kind of skipped over the part where I said that I could, in general...care less what others do...and the exception to that would be where it impacts me or mine.

Being overweight is mostly a choice. Drawing special privileges or benefits from it is silly...unless it truly is a health issue causing it, and not the other way around.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It is interesting that America is a country where people are most vehemently opposed to a state funded medical system, and yet is also the country with the highest proportion of obese people.

*disclaimer, I haven't actually checked the stats on other countries, but the obesity rate in the US is a lot higher than anywhere in Europe, at least. Where we do have state funded medicine.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If they want to be fat, that is their choice. BUT DO NOT EXPECT me to pay for any issues related to it, i.e. socialized medicine.

Nor should they be entitled to park in the handicapped spots due to anything health issues caused by their choice of being fat.

You're already paying for it. You pay for it in lost work productivity, in disability, in your own current (pre-Health Care Reform Act) healthcare costs and countless other ways.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think losing weight is a personal choice. If a person is fat and they choose to stay that way regardless of health problems or not, its their choice to do so. I will never look down on anyone one for their choice to live their life their own way...this doesnt mean however that I agree with their choice, but I do respect the, for whatever path they choose.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It is interesting that America is a country where people are most vehemently opposed to a state funded medical system, and yet is also the country with the highest proportion of obese people.

*disclaimer, I haven't actually checked the stats on other countries, but the obesity rate in the US is a lot higher than anywhere in Europe, at least. Where we do have state funded medicine.

The US isn't that much higher than much of Europe or other countries with state-run, state-funded healthcare as it turns out. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/the-world-is-fat/
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    do you think smokers "ought" to quit smoking?

some people quit, some people don't. some get cancer, some don't. the only difference is that people judge fat people WAY more than they do with smokers.

sure, there are fat people who are fat because they're lazy and don't care and just like cheeseburgers, but that's their choice. you really don't need to worry about them losing weight or not. there are others who go to school full time and have 3 jobs and 2 kids and don't have the time or the money to exercise or eat healthy. of course, they SHOULD lose weight because their health is at risk, but for some people it's just not that easy. they also might have a physical, mental, or emotional problem that you don't know about, so you can't really judge.

wanting to help is one thing, but you can't really say anything about other people unless you know the whole story.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe in health at every size, so if someone is overweight or even obese and healthy, and they don't want or need to lose weight, GREAT!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options

State-funded health care isn't the only variable here. State-funded health care doesn't control the prominence of fast food restaurants or items in the grocery store with a shelf-life worthy of a nuclear survival pantry. State-funded health care doesn't have any sway in neighborhood planning conducive to walking becoming a more primary mode of transportation. State-funded health care cannot change the cultural norm of meals taking less than 20 minutes to consume to a drawn-out 1hr or more affair. Heaven forbid we pull milk from the school program, our overreliance on beef over chicken or fish, or say that HFCS isn't "as harmless as sugar and the hairdresser who told us otherwise doesn't know squat because she isn't a certified nutritionist" (actual commercial run over here by the Corn Refiners Association or whatever), because hey... the dairy/beef/corn farmers & ranchers claim our economy would collapse (again) if it weren't for them.
    2. Show me the 1000's of studies in which being overweight increases your chances of dying NOT increases you risk factors. Risk factors are not the same as disease. I am open to debate and being convinced.

*hand smacks forehead...* It's fine, you don't need to justify the merits of playing Russian roulette to me ('cause pulling the trigger WON'T kill you, just the possibility the bullet you MIGHT get would), I just feel better not playing in the first place.
    Nor should they be entitled to park in the handicapped spots due to any health issues caused by their choice of being fat.

Yep... I COMPLETELY agree on this one! It was particularly enraging when I had to go about daily activities during my last 5 weeks of pregnancy already 3cm dilated, 60% effaced and at -1 station... I was homicidal over things like parking spaces.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Depend on how over weight & if that will cause issues down the road
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    My overriding thought on this topic is that we are all works in progress, and we all have areas in our lives where we could improve. Someone perfectly fit and lean might have horrid finances, or keep a messy house, or be an abusive parent, etc. The list of a human being's potential deficiencies goes on and on. It's just that, at a glance, you can't tell what most of someone's shortcomings are just by looking at him or her. Unless and until I am perfect in all areas of my life and have that elusive perfect balance, I don't feel like I have the right to say which area of life someone else "ought" to make a priority.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You 'ought' to do it for your own sanity.

There is and will always be a mental component to being, in your own layman's terms, fat.

Show me a man or woman that is truly, truly happy with their body at a plus size weight, and I'll show you a liar. Especially everyone on MFP... You wouldn't be here if you were happy.