May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I vote testing them on Wednesday.

@angmarie28 - I would upgrade the size. Probably the second most important thing in running is socks (with shoes being #1). I think having comfortable socks is a big deal, because as you start getting into full marathon mileage your feet will start feeling beat up unless you coddle them as much as possible. Actually, they will still get beat up but they will be SO much better off with good socks!

Sounds like a great goal race @RespectTheKitty!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I think I will exchange them for a bigger size, I think the reason they feel so comfortable is because Im used to socks that fit tight, being I have such large feet, socks my size are hard to find, so I usually wear socks that are size 4-9., but since someone bought me nice socks, id like to be able to use then ,and them to not cause issues.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    May Running Challenge

5/1: 8.69 miles biking

Goals:
    Running: 0 / 100
    Cycling: 8.69 / 60

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)
    POOP Trail Run (HM) Dec 2

So I felt great on my run yesterday (no pain while running), but I woke up with IT Band pain on the side of my knee. Grrr!! Today was a scheduled cross day, so I rode my crappy bike at lunch. The wind was so much better today. Will try very hard to do my strength training tonight and some yoga too. Hubby and I are looking to get decent entry level bikes soon.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I vote testing them on Wednesday.
    Well, that's all the encouragement I needed.

It's "only" 9 miles, so that shouldn't be too far, if they aren't as great as I hope they will be. I'm really hoping they work out well enough to be my marathon shoes so I want to get at least 2 long runs with them to see how they perform. I figure this week's 19 mil run, and my second 20 miler, in 2 weeks, would let me know how much of a contender they are.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers!! It's great to see so many people getting interested in running.

Welcome back @kristinegift !!

@RespectTheKitty Glad you are feeling better.

@MNLittleFinn There is no way I'd test out new shoes on a 19 mile run. Lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn There is no way I'd test out new shoes on a 19 mile run. Lol
    That's why I was planning to run a shorter 8-9 miler first.... not the 19 miler first LOL !
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    luvmy4sps wrote: »
    I am new here and a very new runner. I do have a goal of running a 5k this year. I used to run a fair amount before having children, but had a hard time getting back into it seriously. I so walk though. I am going to set a very low goal of 25 miles since I have no idea what I can realistically do in a month. I also workout with kettlebells so I don't want to overextend myself either. Looking forward to being a member of this group, making some progress, learning new things and cheering others on.

@luvmy4sps - That's a good plan. The kettlebell work you've done will help you with running. As a new runner, I had zero problems with my quads or hamstrings . . . until I got so fond of running that I let the strength training lapse. Regular kettlebells swings and snatches for the hamstrings and glutes, TGUs for core and a bit of quads, windmills for some more core, and squats for quads are part of my routine to help avoid running injury. No, there's no particular benefit of using kettlebells for the squats as opposed to dumbbells or an Olympic bar; it's just convenient because the kettlebells sit in my living room while the squat rack is in the basement.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @iofred love the bling!!!

@Lynzdee18 - those bears you speak of.....Would they be the white ones with a bad attitude? I'd stay inside too..

@HRKinchen the main difference you'll find is the softer surface. Depending on the ground, you may want to think about shoes with some tread, but if it's dry you'll probably be okay with road shoes. If it's the sort of trail where you'll find tree roots, you may have to adjust your running to pick your feet up a bit more. Watch the trail ten feet or so in front of you, and concentrate on where you WANT to put your foot not where you DON'T want to put it. In a race, best not to run to close to the person in front, you can't guarantee they won't take you down!!! Maybe try and get out on a trail before the race to get a feel for it, but above all have fun.

A short run for me to begin May, set out for a couple of miles, but meet some friends along the way so walked with them for a bit. If i ran a MILE I'd be surprised. It's my HM next weekend, but my head is full of a couple of other trips I've got coming up so barely thinking about it (except that i know i should do SOME running this week)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    First, happy May Day and welcome to all the new members of the thread! Good luck and keep running and posting!

Welcome back @kristinegift and congrats on your huge PR!

Some sad news here over the weekend. One of the local running/triathlon coaches with the Fleet Feet group died during a relay race this weekend. All they are reporting is that he suffered a "serious medical emergency" during the course of the race. I did not know him, but by all accounts he sounds like a wonderful coach and important part of the running community here and it is a great loss.

I haven't give a May goal yet - so here we go. After some agonizing, I did sign up for a half marathon on May 21, so looks like I will be getting a few extra miles, then some tapering and then recovery. So I will dial it back to 75 miles for this month, but may need to reevaluate that.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7 out of 75

I had planned to go to speed workout group tonight but the weather was looking ominous. After I got the dog walked, I looked at the minute by minute forecast and it said rain would start in 33 minutes, with hard rain at times. It was still an hour until group so I decided to take take the gamble and went for the run on my own before the rain. It was hot and sticky, but every once in a while a cool pre-storm breeze would come and I would think I was about to get dumped on. But I made it and in fact it still hasn't rained (of course). Now it says heavy rain and t-storms in 38 minutes. So could have done the speedwork, it seems. Ah well.

Edited to add:
    Upcoming races:
    5/21 Angry Unicorn Half Marathon,Wakefield RI
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

• BeeerRunner
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »

QUESTION: Considering running my first trail race mid-month, a three-miler on a relatively flat set of trails through a local park. I would expect it to be a slower go than the street races I've done, but what other differences should I expect??

@HRKinchen If it's not technical (meaning lots of rocks with some steep ups and downs), I wouldn't worry about trail shoes. If you have the chance to check it out ahead of time, you can make a better decision. "Trails" here in Texas can be paved, flat crushed gravel, or technical. Since trail shoes are typically heavier, I only wear my trail shoes for technical trail running.

If it is a more technical trail, I would work on getting some trail running in ahead of your race. It is a bit different, but it's a lot of fun!!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got the first miles in for this month: 6.51. I was thinking about some newer shoes, but both pairs in the rotation only have about 150 @, so I guess I've got time. But I gotta say, I hate the way the Reeboks look on my feet....
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 3.5 mi.

May goal: 3.5/100mi.
    May is off to a very rainy start here in Maine, but the trees & flowers are exploding and it's so nice to see.