!!!!Pasta!!!!

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta probably 5-6 nights a week and I'm down 11.5lbs - I weigh out a portion, and log it - but there is nothing inheritantly wrong with pasta (or carbs for that fact)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Tell him pasta is pretty satiating for the calories (at least to me it is) and it helps you stick to your diet, which is better than inconsistent haphazard dieting. Making it about you is less likely to cause push back. Arguing with these types is pointless. For what it's worth, I'm down 120 lbs and I've eaten pasta often.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A pasta carbohydrate gram is 4 calories just like any other carbohydrate gram. However, if you refrigerate the cooked pasta for 12 hours the pasta becomes resistant to digestion in your stomach and small intestine, effectively becoming 0 calories for you, the human, and 4 calories for the bacteria of your biome living in your large intestine. The paste becomes a pre-biotic food.

Umm.... I'm​ having a little trouble believing that refrigerating cooked pasta for twelve hours magically makes it calorie-free. Care to share some peer reviewed articles proving this? I'd love to read them.

Look it up. Amylase starch converts at low temperatures. It happens in pasta and rice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Umm.... I'm​ having a little trouble believing that refrigerating cooked pasta for twelve hours magically makes it calorie-free. Care to share some peer reviewed articles proving this? I'd love to read them.

I think it makes it lower on the glycemic index but it doesn't make it calorie free.

https://www.sciencealert.com/heating-your-pasta-makes-it-significantly-better-for-you
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of spaghetti. A large part of my motivation to stay on OMAD is so I can eat ALL the pasta. I eat large quantities of pasta multiple times a week. I've also lost 85lbs in the last 7 and a half months.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521246/53-progress-224-157-and-still-going-bragpost-indulging-my-vanity#latest

^ my progress thread. Last update was 142lbs. Currently 139lbs. Formerly 224lbs. I ate a lot of pasta between all those photos.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I used to eat cold pasta for lunch a few months ago, I assure you it has calories lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A pasta carbohydrate gram is 4 calories just like any other carbohydrate gram. However, if you refrigerate the cooked pasta for 12 hours the pasta becomes resistant to digestion in your stomach and small intestine, effectively becoming 0 calories for you, the human, and 4 calories for the bacteria of your biome living in your large intestine. The paste becomes a pre-biotic food.

I feel like there is no way it becomes zero calories. I eat a lot of leftovers -- when I make pasta, I typically make four servings, eat one right away, and then eat the others over subsequent days. I know this isn't scientific, but I feel like I would see and feel the results if those subsequent meals only had calories from the sauce, vegetables, whatever I had added to the pasta.

I would accept that there may be *some* reduction in calories, but zero just doesn't track with my (admittedly anecdotal) experience.
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Having pasta tonight (leftovers)! As tempted as I am to put the pasta down as 0 calories, I will not. *sigh*
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

Look it up. Amylase starch converts at low temperatures. It happens in pasta and rice.

That doesn't make it calorie-free and since when is Wikipedia a peer reviewed source?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You should eat mostly pasta for a month and show him your weigh ins.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 with pasta in my diet. From spaghetti to gnocchi with homemade Alfredo sauce. I make pasta like 2-3 times a month. I'd make it more but my kids aren't huge fans.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Cold pasta being lower in calories is akin to when I hear people say that eating fruit is better for you than drinking smoothies because you burn more calories chewing it. Like wtf?!?! Where do people get these ideas from?!?! There's other reasons not to over indulge on smoothies but that's definitely not one of them.

The difference in calorific value probably ends up 0.0000001 calories or some other minute figure that's not even worth thinking about.

Us humans love to think there's some magic secret formula to weight loss. There isn't. It really is calories in vs calories out. Why the hell do we complicate it much more than needs be?

When you look at a car you know if you put the right amount and right type of gas in it will get you to your destination. You don't start putting cucumbers or microwaves in the fuel tank for some convoluted, non-sensical reason because it's the latest fad. So why do we think we need to be convoluted about our own bodies?
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I'm down 130lbs with only about 10-15lbs left until I reach my goal. He can make thousands of calories worth of pasta, toss it in the fridge, eat it, and enjoy his weight gain. I'm not doing it. Sorry.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I'm down 130lbs with only about 10-15lbs left until I reach my goal. He can make thousands of calories worth of pasta, toss it in the fridge, eat it, and enjoy his weight gain. I'm not doing it. Sorry.

I think she meant OP. Either way, I don't think these water cooler arguments are worth it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I think she meant OP. Either way, I don't think these water cooler arguments are worth it.

Ah, that's what I get for reading while getting ready to leave the house. And yes, yes they are. Hehe
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Ask the "nutritionist" what they think about the Mediterranean diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »
    Cold pasta being lower in calories is akin to when I hear people say that eating fruit is better for you than drinking smoothies because you burn more calories chewing it. Like wtf?!?! Where do people get these ideas from?!?! There's other reasons not to over indulge on smoothies but that's definitely not one of them.

Yeah, that's my reaction.

I mean, I've seen the studies (reports of them) and believe there may be some reduction in calories, but it certainly wasn't going to affect my logging, and like someone else mentioned I ate pasta (and leftover pasta) plenty when losing weight.

For me it's kind of like the claims that nuts are way overstated with respect to calories you get from them or the higher TEF for protein. If I'm actually overstating calories a bit, yay, sets off errors that probably creep in, but I wouldn't make an effort to eat only previously chilled pasta on the idea that it's no longer caloric.

For OP, assuming it fits into your macros and you have no gluten or other grain-related issues, I think pasta is a great weight-loss food in that it's fast to make, tasty, and it's extremely easy to make a balanced sauce with it that includes lean meat, lots of vegetables, and some olive oil. What could be bad?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

That doesn't make it calorie-free and since when is Wikipedia a peer reviewed source?

Well then, https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/acute-ingestion-of-resistant-starch-reduces-food-intake-in-healthy-adults/522C623C0F2BAC7B1068F6E447A76486

Here's a review http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.tb00076.x/full

Here's more https://www.google.com/patents/US5281276

It appears there may even be soon available a dry pasta made with resistant grains. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814612013192

I'll admit that it's not 0 calories to the human in a bowl of cold pasta, but it's something less than 100% of the Nutrition Facts label. I haven't tried to eat only cold pasta for a month and see if I could lose my ((NEAT*30)/3500) in weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well then, https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/acute-ingestion-of-resistant-starch-reduces-food-intake-in-healthy-adults/522C623C0F2BAC7B1068F6E447A76486

Here's a review http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.tb00076.x/full

I'm missing where either one of those makes a claim of zero calories for chilled pasta. The journal article talks about appetite reduction and metabolism.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    20 people on only two occasions in a single blind study ate less after eating cold pasta. That's what I just read on those links.

Where does it state that the pasta has little to no calories?