How do you kill the crab?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Wearedoingthis
    Wearedoingthis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Take a minute to appreciate what you are doing. Try to feel really good about yourself and the changes you are making...it will get easier.

I try to eat a healthy base diet and then fit in the things I love...just not all in one day. If I am having a crave everything all at once day I try to exercise a bit more to mitigate the damage. It's hard to be perfect all the time and just start each day anew. Remember, as long as you don't quit, you will succeed. :)

As the habits become second nature and you feel you have a handle on everything I think you will feel less crabby and more empowered. You will feel in control, again.
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    CWynne3 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How long does it take to prepare for a marathon, or a climb up mount Everest? This sort of life-change is built on one small habit at a time. Trying to do it all at once will just make you....crabby.

Yes, your life is at stake, but you have some time to do this right.

What one change this past week are you most proud of? Keep doing that one. What change makes you want to claw someone's eyes out? Postpone that one.

Every week re-evaluate the week before and decide to either stay the course or add a new self-improvement bit.

I guess I have this "all in" mentality. I'm either all in or I'm not.

Changes I'm proud of:
    1. Cutting my 5ish Coke/day habit
    2. Drinking water instead
    3. Sticking below 1300 calories a day/portion control
    4. Meeting my protein goals
    5. Cutting sweets and processed foods

Changes pissing me off:
    1. Cutting coke when others in the house drink it in front of me...
    2. No sweets/processed foods when it's all still in the house.
    3. Cooking separate meals for my fam because they aren't into eating my stuff.

But you make a great point. All the changes take time and I think regardless of whether I make changes one at a time or all at once, I'm going to take time to adjust. I just hope this irritability phase doesn't last long. Sucks. :/

Breath and forgive yourself. Apoligize to the ones you love and whom love you. Dont worry about the people you dont live with or love. But whatever you do dont give up on yourself!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Love it when someone yells at all of us for our processed foods, and their diary shows just as much processed food as I eat in my dirty little corner of the world!

And she burns more calories weekly with her exercise than I do...have to agree with @nutmegoreo that she must have been reading a different thread, but responded to this one since the rant doesn't really make much sense in the context of what the OP said or the follow on postings.

However, for full disclosure...I lost my weight using more of a 'IIFYM' mentality, but am far from a body builder or extremely active...and I'm dealing with a whole host of menopausal/hormone issues. It worked for me, but everyone has to find their balance. I have plenty of processed foods in my diary, but have "whole" foods too (most days) -- though oddly not so much yesterday, yet my macros were more in line with my goals than days when I'm eating more "whole" foods. Meh, to each their own.

One of my favorite comments in the forums is "Do you"...and that is so applicable here too. Figure out what works for you, figure out what doesn't work for you...do more of the things that work for you. It's not the same for everyone.

Oh, and kudos for those bringing up the potential caffeine issues if you nix it completely...yea, I learned the hard way (by doing the same thing) that I need some caffeine in my life daily else I am not pleasant to be around. Good catch!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    You're probably pissed because you mistakenly think you have to turn your world upside down to lose weight, you don't. You probably also have your deficit set to lose 2 lbs a week. I'd be pissed too. Drop the unnecessary "all in" BS mentality. All you need is a caloric deficit and it doesn't have to be big. Set your goal to 1 lb/week and eat normally up to your allotted calories. You don't need to cook separate meals, cut out sweets or processed foods or only drinking water. Now go have a fun-size Snickers and a mini-Coke (maybe diet) and be happy :)

Agreed with this one.

No need to cut foods out to lose weight. Heck, I've had chocolate almost every day since dropping over 100lbs. No wonder you're crabby. I would be too, if I did what you're doing. :laugh:

You have no idea just how encouraging it is to hear of someone who's lost 100+ while still having sweets! Just in case I doubt the math, you're living proof it works. Thank you so much for sharing!!

:)
    You're so very welcome! I've had many setbacks throughout the weight loss, but getting back into it is the important part. I've binged after my mom passed and binged some more (as in 6000+ calorie binges at least). I have around 40 to go.

Firstly: I pay attention to my protien, fats, fibre and micros (vitamins and minerals). I do this by pre-logging the night (or even while week) in advance. It took me a while to figure out a good macro balance for satiety. I need equal amounts of protien, fats and carbs as well as adequate fibre. I purposely leave a few hundred calories for treats. Sometimes I eat take out. A food scale a necessity. If I don't weigh my food, I don't lose weight because I suck at estimating.

Don't let any setback knock you down. You've got this.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Seriously, folks, this lady is not looking for you'all to play devil's advocate re: what she's decided she needs to do to lose weight and stop bad habits. All the body builders/extremely active people with super in-shape metabolisms in the house can stick it when you talk about "eat whatever you want as long as it's below your TDEE." If you wanna say processed foods have nothing to do with calories and weight loss, just TRY getting your macros right with processed foods and sugary drinks. Ain't gonna happen. The original poster has the right idea, so stop tearing her idea apart. She's made personal decisions about what she needs to do. The point is, answer her original question. NOW, to answer your original question, poster, I totally feel you. You're taking care of other people, and they aren't (with their own actions and decisions) giving you any support, and that sucks. Main thing to remember is: the only thing you can do is control YOU. What other people are doing is irrelevant, and I know it doesn't FEEL that way, but you have to think of it that way. Pretty soon, thinking becomes habit. You can't make decisions for others, but you can make them for yourself. You will get resistance from others when you make decisions about your own life that they feel may affect them (i.e., making meals), and realize that's just their own self-preservation mode. After about month of a lower carb diet, you will adjust to it, and it will start to feel good and sustainable and the crabbiness will subside.

Have a Snickers. :)

:drinker:

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How long does it take to prepare for a marathon, or a climb up mount Everest? This sort of life-change is built on one small habit at a time. Trying to do it all at once will just make you....crabby.

Yes, your life is at stake, but you have some time to do this right.

What one change this past week are you most proud of? Keep doing that one. What change makes you want to claw someone's eyes out? Postpone that one.

Every week re-evaluate the week before and decide to either stay the course or add a new self-improvement bit.

I guess I have this "all in" mentality. I'm either all in or I'm not.

Changes I'm proud of:

Changes pissing me off:

But you make a great point. All the changes take time and I think regardless of whether I make changes one at a time or all at once, I'm going to take time to adjust. I just hope this irritability phase doesn't last long. Sucks. :/

This same thing happened to me when I gave up Coke. I was extremely irritable for two weeks. My poor students :). It went away. It wasn't lack of caffeine, though.

Maybe take it slower and don't make so many changes at once.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This kind of sounds like me all the time :D:D:D
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Changes I'm proud of:

Changes pissing me off:

I'd be crabby to if i didn't get my caffeine fix, but personally i think too many changes were made in one go, resulting in withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps try to fit a least one coke in your meal plan or even switching to coke zero or diet coke so that you can still have that 5ish soda can a day and not be pissed at others drinking it in front of ya. After drinking zero drinks for a while, you might find that coke as become too sweet for you to drink.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    @CWynne3
    Just checking in on you - did you try any of the suggestions in this thread, and have you been feeling any better? I was just wondering how you're doing. :)
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few people who said your doing to much to fast. Instead of giving up cokes cold turkey you may need to lower your intake before you go without. Study's have shown caffeine is one of the most addictive drugs their is. You may going threw withdrawal people may laugh at that but it true. Caffeine is harder to give up than nicotine. I went from 5-6 cokes i call all soda coke becuse i from the south to 1-2 a day and most of the time not drinking a whole can. Then its water or Gatorade due to me working out in the heat so i through in Gatorade.