Do people try to tell you your weight goal is "too skinny" for you?

Options

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Nobody tells me my goals are wrong because I don't share them with family and friends yet. I know at 5 ft 10 I want to get to under 174 which takes me to normal bmi . Beyond that well all of high school and college I was 138 and maybe but was a high school and college athlete not sure attainable in my 40s I figure I will keep going till I like it.

So stop sharing numbers people have no idea what a weight at a height looks like. Continue until you are happy with your results.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I went through this too. My family said I was too skinny when I got to the middle of the "normal" BMI range. I don't tell people my goals anymore. I think they're so used to seeing overweight people as normal weight their perception is skewed.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's what I tend to say now @oolou - much easier. And, TBH, for most people it's not really about the number on the scales it's the clothes size anyway.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    My weight is between me, my doctor, the DMV, and MFP.

Who else needs to know?

You tell the truth to the DMV??

I want an accurate description broadcast in case I'm ever abducted by a serial killer.

And no, I don't listen to way too many true crime podcasts.

I'm currently listening to Up and Vanished. It's really good! Highly recommend if you like true crime. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    140lb seems perfectly reasonable to me for 5'7 that is a normal bmi. I'm the same height as you but are aiming a little higher (155lb ish) that's because personally I feel I would look too thin at 140 but I probably have a different build. Thing is people are so used to seeing overweight people they no longer know what normal is supposed to look like. Don't take any notice and do what makes you feel happy.

I do have a somewhat larger build with big hips and breasts and that's why they claim I'll be too thin but i think even with my build 140 still isn't too thin. Thank you ❤

What’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I'm a half inch shorter than you and my goal weight is considerably higher than yours, but I have a large frame and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh people have no clue what certain weights look like. Do you. That's a healthy weight for your height. With a decent body fat percentage you will look quite slim. I'm heavier than that at 5'4".
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey, we basically have the same starting/goal weight. Anyway, yeah, I get it all the time especially now that I've reached the point where you can only tell I'm out of shape when I lift up my shirt. Only thing you can do is shrug off the comments and stick to your plan.

It's crazy to me that so many people worry about grown adults losing too much weight when there's obviously a much larger health concern in the west right now.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    140lb seems perfectly reasonable to me for 5'7 that is a normal bmi. I'm the same height as you but are aiming a little higher (155lb ish) that's because personally I feel I would look too thin at 140 but I probably have a different build. Thing is people are so used to seeing overweight people they no longer know what normal is supposed to look like. Don't take any notice and do what makes you feel happy.

I do have a somewhat larger build with big hips and breasts and that's why they claim I'll be too thin but i think even with my build 140 still isn't too thin. Thank you ❤

What’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I'm a half inch shorter than you and my goal weight is considerably higher than yours, but I have a large frame and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp.

It says my wrist says I have a small body frame while my elbow says I have a medium body frame. So not sure what that means. My wrists are kind of small compared to the rest of my body
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hey, we basically have the same starting/goal weight. Anyway, yeah, I get it all the time especially now that I've reached the point where you can only tell I'm out of shape when I lift up my shirt. Only thing you can do is shrug off the comments and stick to your plan.

It's crazy to me that so many people worry about grown adults losing too much weight when there's obviously a much larger health concern in the west right now.

Insight: Many of them aren't worried; they're jealous.

Oh yeah, I definitely think a good portion of them are, but for many I believe it's just ignorance because of how normalized being overweight/obese has become, especially in a place like the south (where I live). It makes sense for someone who has lived with obesity surrounding them to think that what actually constitutes as a healthy weight is underweight.

My parents are good examples. They have been 100% supportive of me in my endeavors and have successfully lost weight with CICO themselves, but are afraid that my goal of 140 (would would probably put me at 15-17% body fat) is too low.
  • hkjones22
    hkjones22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate that!! You know what's right for you better than anyone else. Don't listen to them and you do you! <3
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nope, but my GP thinks I have an ED. Now I'm at the opposite end of the weight lecture 'script. *sigh*
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and maintaining in a range of 128-133. For me that's a good weight. Some people think it's too skinny but with my build and my propensity for disproportionate belly fat, it works.
  • _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    People are just too used to seeing/being overweight. You do you and if someone asks and you don't feel up to telling them to mind their own business you can always say: until I feel at my best. Or something along those lines, they shouldn't have too much negative to say to that! And if they do, oh well, we all know those people haha ;)