When someone asks for your 'secret'

Options

Replies

• domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yes I do but I've told everyone I try to have around a 500 calorie deficit as well as using my exercise bike for an hour a day most days of the week. Despite this there is one girl in particular at work who stares and watches with great interest what I eat. I still eat everything I want in moderation, I just have a lot less of the unhealthy stuff and make an effort to be very active everyday lol.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Since I'm at a healthy weight and wanna stay there whenever I eat healthy or calorie count people are like 'why you're thin you can eat whatever you want and you don't need to calorie count' it's like no.. that's a pretty great way to put weight on though
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    People always seem disappointed when I tell them that I just "eat less and move more". Not gonna lie, I enjoy their sad response because they are hoping I'm going to say some miracle diet/pill/procedure/workout. Nope.... just eating less.

In reality it's a lot more. I count macros/calories. I exercise hard. But they don't need to know that bit.

The people asking really REALLY want a 'magic feather' that will guarantee results. Anybody who knows better just compliments you and doesn't ask for a secret they know doesn't exist.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who have asked for my "secret" have regretted it, because I didn't just reach into my gym bag and pull out a jar of magic pills and say "take one of these twice a day and you will get totally fit!". Their eyes usually start glazing over when I explain that I track my calories, eat a set amount of calories per day, balance my macros, workout several times per week, and do all of this consistently over a long period of time. That's it. Yeah, no magic pills :'(
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I've had multiple people at work ask me about my weight loss. I've told them all the same thing - eating less, moving more. No one really wants to hear that. Meanwhile, I sit at my desk eating a package of Reese's PB cups while the girls around me talk about juicing, cleansing and buying all kinds of unnecessary supplements to aid weight loss and continue month after month to stay the same weight or gain.

I even had one person who flat out asked me if I purge. I gave him a LOOK and said no as condescendingly as I could.

I always keep my mouth closed unless specifically asked. It makes me uncomfortable when people comment on my appearance. When someone does ask me, I give them a one-line answer and either change the subject or (if I can without being rude) walk away.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I always keep my mouth closed unless specifically asked. It makes me uncomfortable when people comment on my appearance. When someone does ask me, I give them a one-line answer and either change the subject or (if I can without being rude) walk away.

I would actually love it if the person listened to my 2-3 minute answer and said: "Cool, how do I get started?" I was more active in corporate wellness at work so I have a blueprint of how to get started that I could spend 10-15 minutes going over with them and they could be on their way. Instead, they just frown and continue doing what they do, which is not working.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask me at church how much I'd lost. I said 115 lbs, she asked how and I told her counting calories with a free app at My fitness pal. She proceeded to try to sell me Isagenix, and said "I'm just starting on this journey to health, too"

/facepalm
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    At first I mention CICO...but then when I get the blank stare, I say:
    "JUST KIDDING, I simply drink a shot of apple cider vinegar every morning!"
    People are cool with that. ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I Got asked today what I was doing to lose weight. Having read this thread I decided to tell the friend I was doing 1 of 2 things they could pick which either I was logging my food and exercising and eating less then I am burning or option 2 I was having daily smoothies made with unicorn protein and mermaid tears

Did the friend ask for your smoothie recipe???
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

'Disappointed' yes! That's the word I was looking for for the look people give me when I said I'm just tracking my calories and eating less and moving more. I try to eat more veggies but I try to always eat a variety of things including treats, I also said that it takes months of gradual change and one girl said well i don't have months *shrugs*

I would have been so tempted to respond, "Oh, that's so sad! I didn't know! How long do you have? I want you to know I'll always be there for your family."
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I get this from my mom, who has tried every gimmick in the book over the years as well as damaged her heart with diet pills. I have dinner with her often enough that I bought her the same scale I use at home so I could weigh my food when I ate at her house, and suddenly she wanted to bond: oh what diet are you on, what diet are you following? I told her hard work and common sense and she lost interest.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I could tell you, but I am under a gag order and would have to kill you.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    At first I mention CICO...but then when I get the blank stare, I say:
    "JUST KIDDING, I simply drink a shot of apple cider vinegar every morning!"
    People are cool with that. ;)

So it's YOUR fault the dratted stuff is all over the forums the past few weeks!! ;)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I usually just say I'm going to the gym more. They don't ask any further than that.

I don't mention that I changed my priorities and get up at 5.30am to head to the gym, that I fast 2 days per week, that I eat more veges and less sugar, I get a decent amount of sleep so I make better food choices during the day and don't need a sugar hit every few hours, nor do I mention that I have a crush on my trainer and he's such a good incentive to try really bloody hard.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yeah. It's not sexy. People just shut down when I explain I eat less calories.

This! No one truly wants to hear how you lose weight. I've been asked that in the past when I got to goal. They want some magical plan that does it for them and they don't have to put in any effort, lol. So when I explain how I was more active/exercising and cut back on calories and measured/weighed my food they would quickly lose interest in the conversation at the time. LOL :D:D
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I tell people diet and exercise, and they get this sad disappointed look on their faces.