Wassup USA

Options

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    USA ,we are big, several states are larger then entire EU countries. This creates less incentive to learn other languages. This also creates the driver culture. We don't have as good a rail system as we are much more spread out thus you need to drive to get places.
    Last year a cousin from Italy wanted to visit Boston, NYC, DC ,Hollywood, and Houston Texas in one week and it took a lot of explanation that these places were so far apart as to be impossible to do all in one week.
  • carbkiller1971
    carbkiller1971 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    I'm American spend summers in Europe Big difference Europe everything tiny Americans like it big cars homes land meals you can't even turn around in a bathroom in Europe Lol Europeans dress nice when they leave the house American don't even get out of their pjs and wear bunny slippers to shop Americans that have never travelled believe America IS the planet. Lol and in general we don't give a *kitten* what others think we do for ourselves, while at the same time are the most charitable ppl we believes there's not better place to live than America and the immagrants who come say the same thing I e been around Europe , some Middle East and some islands there is no better place to live and thrive than America I hope it will remain this way but you never know we can't stay on top forever
  • carbkiller1971
    Options
    d52vtjscai0u.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm American spend summers in Europe Big difference Europe everything tiny Americans like it big cars homes land meals you can't even turn around in a bathroom in Europe Lol Europeans dress nice when they leave the house American don't even get out of their pjs and wear bunny slippers to shop Americans that have never travelled believe America IS the planet. Lol and in general we don't give a *kitten* what others think we do for ourselves, while at the same time are the most charitable ppl we believes there's not better place to live than America and the immagrants who come say the same thing I e been around Europe , some Middle East and some islands there is no better place to live and thrive than America I hope it will remain this way but you never know we can't stay on top forever

Americans don't shop in their pajamas and slippers in my experience. I've seen it maybe 4 times tops and I'm 50 years old. That's something glorified in Youtube videos.

Americans who've never traveled before are probably busy working hard earning their own keep, possibly just getting by financially, and aren't privy to the luxury of international travel. On their precious days off from hard work, they want to relax, clean the house and eat a meal out. Not spend their life savings standing in a 5 hour line at an airport, checking luggage, and taking a 14 hour flight to Europe with two layovers.

America is the best place to live and thrive in the world. And when we Americans speak more kindly, gently, and accurately about our own selves as Americans, our own country (it's called America. Not Murica), we'll be perpetuating the positive growth and perception of our own country, not the ugly tiresome stereotypes that non Americans love to sneer and snicker at.

Euros and Brits and other foreigners who haven't been to America, particularly to the flyover states, are only familiar with the Americans who travel internationally. Generally the well-to-do, more privileged Americans. Once they come here and meet a more humble variety of Americans, which are the vast majority of Americans, they are pleasantly and endearingly surprised and go back home with a more positive impression of our population as a whole.

cool post; well said

773272fb1e34cf000727ab062ce92e7c_-legendary-character-ali-g-ali-g-respect-meme_640-524.jpeg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Funny that you love our accents. The only American accents I think sound good (or at least not bad) are New England, NY, NJ, PA, Appalachian and the Carolinas.

Most Americans adore British accents, particularly Scottish. I really like a Scottish accent.

what about Texans?

..... don't mess with Texas!

As my (Texan) husband would day, 'Damn skippy!' Plus, Texas is huge. People from west Texas don't speak with the same accent as people from southeast Texas (although I guess maybe to the untrained ear they all drawl alike :tongue: )
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Do people really find an American accent sexy or just fascinating because of how slow we talk?
  • pinuplove
    Options
    What exactly is an 'American' accent anyway? We poke fun at each other for having different accents! Boston does not speak like Texas.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I spent years in Los Angeles, if there's an accent there... I don't know what it is.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Funny that you love our accents. The only American accents I think sound good (or at least not bad) are New England, NY, NJ, PA, Appalachian and the Carolinas.

Most Americans adore British accents, particularly Scottish. I really like a Scottish accent.

what about Texans?

..... don't mess with Texas!

As my (Texan) husband would day, 'Damn skippy!' Plus, Texas is huge. People from west Texas don't speak with the same accent as people from southeast Texas (although I guess maybe to the untrained ear they all drawl alike :tongue: )

It's like a southern accent.... only different, and you're right, a Texas accent can vary.

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    It honestly really comes down to where you live in America and what your experiences are. I've lived all over including other countries outside the U.S., so my perspective is a lot less close-minded than when I was 15 years younger and only knew the hillbilly/white trash stereotype (because those are the people who lived in the area I grew up in) growing up in the rural areas of the Midwest.

The car one is definitely true. I haven't been to Europe yet (I really want to), but compared to Japanese homes/cars.. American spaces are HUUUUUUUGE. Really, it took a bit to get used to driving a van around that was the size of a normal car here.. and the Japanese considered the beater van I drove to be spacious. Also, watching my 6'4" husband drive any car in Japan was hilarious as everything made it look like he was driving one of those cars you see clowns drive in cartoons.

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I think Dave Ramsey says it best about the American way of life, "We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like."

The American dream has went from a white picket fence to the biggest house on the street with a brand new car in the driveway. It's very sad.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Americans are I suppose as human as everyone else. We are diverse (some are hillbillies, some like white picket fences, some rude - others not so much). Right now we are extremely polarized politically, something we have been in the past and I am sure we will be in the future. We like to think we are unique to the point that many are very uniform in their "uniqueness". Some Americans love this country and others hate it and everything it stands for historically. As for me, living on the west coast in a state that pretty much feels superior to the rest of the country to the point of creating their own country, I believe we are very fortunate to have been born or had the opportunity to live in one of the most scenic countries in the world that does in fact provide opportunity to those who choose to pursue those opportunities.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Americans are I suppose as human as everyone else. We are diverse (some are hillbillies, some like white picket fences, some rude - others not so much). Right now we are extremely polarized politically, something we have been in the past and I am sure we will be in the future. We like to think we are unique to the point that many are very uniform in their "uniqueness". Some Americans love this country and others hate it and everything it stands for historically. As for me, living on the west coast in a state that pretty much feels superior to the rest of the country to the point of creating their own country, I believe we are very fortunate to have been born or had the opportunity to live in one of the most scenic countries in the world that does in fact provide opportunity to those who choose to pursue those opportunities.

Well, if you're in California,then you really do have the best climate of anywhere I've ever traveled.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We have it all here, deserts, high mountains, rivers, oceans, pretty much anything anyone could ask for if they like being outside. We even have warm ocean water if you travel down to Mission Bay in San Diego.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi guys. Iv got a question, something Iv been sort of fascinated with over the years is the USA. Must come from all the American films iv grown up with, but iv got this notion that America is amazing, is it? I also love the accent it gets me all giddy lol.

What's the difference between the UK and USA?

Our teeth
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm in Oklahoma. We have lots of tornadoes.

I often wonder how you guys live with the threat of those things. If we get a bit windy here it's a big deal but tornados ? Scary. We do suffer a lot of flooding here especially down in England

I paid a high price to get an aluminum roof rated to withstand 100 mph winds on my house. I had my fence built with steel posts. A recent tornado dropped a piece of debris in front of my house that it had picked up near Albuquerque, which is 800 miles west of here. My house and fence was undamaged. Most of the others in my neighborhood lost shingles and several lost fences. The worst possible case of having a tornado suck your home up into the sky with you in it is very rare. One of my cousins lives out in west Texas and she emailed me a video of a tornado out there. The person recording it did so by walking along beside the tornado filming with a smart phone.
  • carbkiller1971
    Options

Americans don't shop in their pajamas and slippers in my experience. I've seen it maybe 4 times tops and I'm 50 years old. That's something glorified in Youtube videos.

Americans who've never traveled before are probably busy working hard earning their own keep, possibly just getting by financially, and aren't privy to the luxury of international travel. On their precious days off from hard work, they want to relax, clean the house and eat a meal out. Not spend their life savings standing in a 5 hour line at an airport, checking luggage, and taking a 14 hour flight to Europe with two layovers.

America is the best place to live and thrive in the world. And when we Americans speak more kindly, gently, and accurately about our own selves as Americans, our own country (it's called America. Not Murica), we'll be perpetuating the positive growth and perception of our own country, not the ugly tiresome stereotypes that non Americans love to sneer and snicker at.

Euros and Brits and other foreigners who haven't been to America, particularly to the flyover states, are only familiar with the Americans who travel internationally. Generally the well-to-do, more privileged Americans. Once they come here and meet a more humble variety of Americans, which are the vast majority of Americans, they are pleasantly and endearingly surprised and go back home with a more positive impression of our population as a whole.

You must not shop at my Walmart
  • pinuplove
    Options

I often wonder how you guys live with the threat of those things. If we get a bit windy here it's a big deal but tornados ? Scary. We do suffer a lot of flooding here especially down in England

I paid a high price to get an aluminum roof rated to withstand 100 mph winds on my house. I had my fence built with steel posts. A recent tornado dropped a piece of debris in front of my house that it had picked up near Albuquerque, which is 800 miles west of here. My house and fence was undamaged. Most of the others in my neighborhood lost shingles and several lost fences. The worst possible case of having a tornado suck your home up into the sky with you in it is very rare. One of my cousins lives out in west Texas and she emailed me a video of a tornado out there. The person recording it did so by walking along beside the tornado filming with a smart phone.

Unless you live in Moore, OK :tongue:

800 miles for debris is pretty impressive! I've lived in Oklahoma most of my life and have yet to see a tornado IRL, although I was within a few hundred yards of one and didn't know it one night. Flattened a not-too-distant neighbor's house (rural area).
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Unless you live in Moore, OK :tongue:

800 miles for debris is pretty impressive! I've lived in Oklahoma most of my life and have yet to see a tornado IRL, although I was within a few hundred yards of one and didn't know it one night. Flattened a not-too-distant neighbor's house (rural area).

Hi neighbor