Sometimes I don't know why I'm pushing so hard. Losing 130+lbs solved nothing.

Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,934 Member
    Options
    It solved the problem of you being 130+ pounds overweight. :)

The silver lining. I'm much more nimble, much better stamina. I can jump, and kick, and jump kick, and I'm no longer in a heavyweight fighting class.

Sometimes I'm okay. Sometimes there are things I wanted in life that it seems I will never have. Life could have turned out worse, and I appreciate what I do have. But the cherry on top would have been.... really nice.

So aside from working out and working (?) ... what else do you do?

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know hun. I think it's a mistake to think "If I was thin my life would be better". We are basically the same person, thin or fat. I admit I was rather disappointed to discover that my life is at times still the same day to day BS even though I've lost 90lbs. It didn't fix anything.

Being lonely is tough. Meeting people is tough. I don't have any answers for you, I had kids with someone I didn't love and raised them in a passive and lonely marriage. That for me was a worse kind of loneliness, spending 15 years with someone and feeling utterly alone.

It took me almost 40 years to meet the right person. I never thought it would happen. I'm glad that it has.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Often times we used weight loss, and even regain weight so we can lose it again to avoid dealing with other things. It's only when I reached my goal I thought, wow! I still have days I feel fat! I still am not as social as I want to be. I am still feeling the need for more challenging work

The good thing is, if you are aware that the weight isn't all that there is to you. There is wonderful growth that can happen. I got involved in charity, I pushed myself in work, I got promotion, i got involved in groups, got in the habit to make time for friends. Some things can feel pretty scary, and you can't control as easy as the content of your dinner but the benefit of pushing myself out of my comfort zone outshine the benefits of a number on the scale.

• Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success, you look amazing - I don't know how you're single, there must be some very blind people in your area, that's all I can say.

Anyway, I totally understand your frustrations, I lost 164lb between 2012 & 2014, but when I was 321lb I was lazy, did a sitting down job and ate whatever I wanted with no side effects (other than obesity) but now I weigh in the region of 160lb I have arthritis in my left knee and right hip, so therefore can't do too much walking; I have palpitations which started on the 12th April and I am once again off work due to the doctors signing me off until they've investigated these palpitation - but my bloods are in the best health they've ever been in and my blood pressure is on the slightly low side, but apparently that is not what's causing my palpitations; I have to follow a very strict diet (the Low FODMAP Diet) to manage my sever IBS-AR and on top of all that I have loose skin all over my body, so I sometimes wonder why I bothered ... Yes I look better in clothes (my skin looks like a deflated balloon out of clothes) and I can cycle for hours, but trying to find clothes that actually fit me is darn near impossible and I have to wear things 3 sizes too large to accommodate the excess skin, yes I can sit on garden furniture without it breaking, but my butt is so bony that I have to sit on cushions all the time (even driving my car) and yes I do feel better for the most part, but the frustration of my declining health, my struggle with clothes and my loose skin can get me down, I know I let myself get to 321lb, but I've now put that right, but I still feel like I'm being punished sometimes.

Sadly losing weight is great for the body and general health, but it can magnify our insecurities and my appearance was clearly my insecurity and it's gone from me being upset at myself for looking like a marsh mallow in clothes, to now looking like a deflated balloon character in clothes, plus I acquired health issues I never knew I had, or was developing.

But if I was to go back to 2012, I would still lose the weight and I would still put in as much effort as I do now, to be honest, I get frustrated and annoyed, but I wouldn't change my decision to lose weight - I'm still proud of my achievement thus far.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--are you doing anything for anyone else? Getting involved with other people in new ways might break the ice.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and single, have always been for the most part. 99.9% of the time I couldn't care less. I'm happy with me, both when I was obese and now I'm not. I like myself for the most part aware of the not so great bits.

People aren't attracted to people who don't like themselves.

In the words of the great philosopher Ru Paul - If you can't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else. Can I get an amen up in here.

OH EM GEE. I LOVE RU and I say that to all my single friends who get pessimistic and down all the time!

OP- I'm 31 and single. I've been in LTRs over the years, been engaged, and been single-the grass is always greener, my friend.
  • druidsapprentice
    druidsapprentice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Pity you don't live in Ireland ;)
  • nikkipoooo
    nikkipoooo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a professional? It kind of seems from your first few posts that you might be dealing with some depression, and a depressed mind is really good at beating itself up. I'm not saying you're mentally unbalanced or even really seriously depressed, but it can be really hard to deal with the disappointment you get when you're living in a reality that's so much different than you imagined it would be after so much hard work. When you recognized that your body needed work in order to get you what you wanted in life you made a choice to do the work... now you've got to decide to work on getting your mind caught up. You probably had help changing your body, so why not get some help changing your mind?

It's hard to succeed when your mind is working to defeat you, and when you go into dates (or even online interactions with potential dates) with a defeated attitude it can be difficult to really project your true personality. A therapist can help you decide if you really just need to adjust the way you think about yourself, or whether you might benefit from some chemical assistance for awhile until you get back on track. Either way they can help you develop a mental or emotional workout strategy that will bring your attitude in line with your body and help you project the kind of confidence and energy that attracts other people.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bluntly put- you seem really desperate and entitled. Have you started chasing out diffferent types of women (aka unicorns) since losing weight? My guess is you have and you could still get all the play you wanted from those same types. People can sense entitlement and feeling like they're some prize for other people and it's a cringey feeling. Don't expect a unicorn if you're not a unicorn. If you're unhappy and desperate expect to attract unhappy and desperate.

I'm an average looking girl with an above average body and I'm sure I've made plenty of men feel "rejected" because I do not owe it to them to stroke their ego when I'm out. Rejection implies you are assuming you expect some level of acceptance perhaps from a complete stranger you know nothing about- strangers don't owe you acceptance and thus can't really reject you (and I'm not talking about plain rudeness- but being disinterested doesn't inherently mean a woman/man is rude). You never "deserve" another person- you have to earn them. What earns them depends on person to person- personally I'm a sucker for humor, height, being able to carry on a conversation, a man that can two step, and having enough hobbies and interests to stay busy and interesting.

TLDR: "it's difficult to have things you want in a partner, when you're forced to drop your standards almost completely and still get rejected at every turn." I have this weird feeling your version of "dropping" your standards means settling for someone who isn't absolutely perfect...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    You're likely very intrinsic and haven't found anyone that deals well with that yet.

I don't doubt that at all.

Thing is, while I've never been a "pimp", I've had plenty of dating and relationships growing up. Even being married at one point. Ever since I hit 30 it's been radio silence. No amount of social activities gets me introduced to anyone even remotely compatible or interested. No hundreds of emails on the personals work anymore. To be honest, I got more play at 300lbs. I'm the leanest I've been since college, and the response I get from approaching women is that I'm so homely I should be ashamed to leave my house. Being treated like a monster... is not so fun. Especially when you've been working to do everything in your power to change that.

But yeah, while I'm definitely a bit of a unique person (don't drink, don't smoke, software developer) that isn't compatible with "everyone", I used to be compatible with "some people". But now the past 6 years has been me hitting my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get someone to even speak to me long enough to find out what language I speak. Getting a hello back is like pulling teeth.... it's difficult to have things you want in a partner, when you're forced to drop your standards almost completely and still get rejected at every turn.

But, deep breath. It's sparring tonight. I'm going to spend a couple of hours trying to kick people in the head. If not for my hobbies I'd go insane, because I have no family or home life beyond them. Some guys think it would be a blessing. Ever since I got divorced almost a decade ago its felt like nothing but hell... I never got a second chance at normalcy. Just rejection.

I have ranted WAY too much, and have exposed WAY too much information at this point. I'm pretty sure this thread is going to come back and haunt me one day. :shrug:

Basically, I'm really frustrated trying so hard to lose the last 15lbs, and finding out that all of this effort is not helping to solve the only thing I really hoped it would.

I'm impressed by all the insightful, well-thought out responses you've received on this thread. I hope it helps.

However, the bold above caught my attention. Before jumping to conclusions, would you care to elaborate? Sometimes our expectations are very high (nothing wrong with that) but looking down on people who don't meet them will surely result in rejection. Could it be you're projecting this attitude?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I can't really figure you out?
    Something doesn't really sit well with me though and I can't pin point it..

But every time I've stopped looking, someone's popped up.
    Get to different places if you can.
    I met my now fiancé at the gym.
    He was using it, I was working in it. Turns out we went school together too but weirdly never came across each other.

Just stop trying.
    It will cone