Food that made your diet much easier

Options

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    This might not be what you are looking for, but these are my all the time go to's. I literally eat them every day in an effort to keep my calories as low as possible, while my nutrients high.

Very low calorie, but nutrient dense soup

a broth cube
    a teaspoon of nutritional yeast

Put in a bowl and add boiling water. Top with finely shredded raw spinach, romaine, or iceberg lettuce.

Another low calorie, but nutrient dense soup

In a bowl put 2 tablespoons tomato paste, sweetener, salt & pepper, boiling water. Tomato soup.

Another low calorie nutrient dense soup

In a crockpot put free range, organic chicken stock, carrots, celery, and onions. Add a bay leave, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, and the flavors marry. Then add a spaghetti squash, cooked, deseeded, and shredded. It's my version of low calorie chicken noodle soup.

Another low calorie nutrient dense soup

Fill a crockpot with sliced onions, a bit of garlic, and worcestershire sauce. Cook overnight until it caramelizes. In the morning add beef consommé. Whala, French onion soup. Just don't add the bread, or cheese.

Another nutrient dense soup

Easy vegetable soup

In a crockpot put several bags of frozen mixed vegetables, or frozen soup vegetables. Add a quart of beef broth, then top it with V-8. Add a bay leaf, and garlic, and cook all day.

Very low calorie, but nutrient dense smoothie

1 bag of frozen strawberries, blueberries, or peaches.
    A bit of ice
    Water
    Sweetener

Blend till smooth and icy

Blender lemonade, or limeade

1 unpeeled lemon, or lime. Cut, and quartered.
    a blender full of ice
    Sweetener
    Water

Blend till smooth, and icy

Pumpkin Smoothie

In a blender put a half a can of pumpkin, 25 calorie cashew milk, ice, pumpkin pie spice, and sweetener. Blend till smooth.

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Yasso bars
    Frozen cherries
    Sargento cheese sticks
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Meats. Vegetables. Minimal processed foods.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Zoodles in lieu of pasta
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Shirataki noodles. Nom nom nom.

So this! On days when my hunger was insane, these were a lifesaver. 30 calories for the whole bag. I add half a can of tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese. With these ingredients it came to about 200/250 calories.

ETA:I'm also a big proponent of everything in moderation, but when your having one of those days go with shirataki :)

30 cals for a bag? Do you eat the tofu ones, or the ones made with extra "stuff"? They tend to have more calories than the original kind.
    I use the ones that are straight konjac so they are only 10 cals a bag. Either way, amaaaaazing. I work graveyards and meal prep for the week so I just went through my Pad Thai week. This upcoming week is Fettuccine Alfredo week. I add 8oz of protein (beef/pork/chicken etc) to whatever I'm doing so the cals for my meals are higher. But yeah, an amazing noodle swap.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    pea pods, mini tomatoes, homemade soup and microwave popcorn
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    Shirataki noodles. Nom nom nom.

I tried those and I couldn't get the sauce to stick to the noodles. Got any tips for if I try it again? @polvo71 any tips as well? :smile:

Yeah, it doesn't stick the way flour noodles do. But I find that tomato, Alfredo, and pad Thai sauces work out well. I still have to try pesto.

I prep my noodles by rinsing them well first in very hot water to get rid of the fish smell. Then I boil them for 5-10 minutes. Then I dry fry them in a pan to remove a bunch of the moisture from the noodles.
    Sauces seem to stick better to the noodles once they have been dry fried.

Note: They will never be the exact same as flour noodles though. I think the big thing about enjoying the noodles is excepting them for what they are instead of constantly comparing them to regular pasta. A lot of the negative comments about them I see seem to come from ppl that either didn't learn to prep them or didn't catch on that as an Asian noodle they really work best in Asian style dishes, and if you're doing Italian pasta to not expect it to be identical.

Hope that helps!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Fresh, homemade salad dressings. I could never figure out why I hated eating salads so much when I made them at home. I would go to a good restaurant and inhale the salads. I finally had a revelation that it was because of the bottled dressings I was buying. Now I make fresh salad dressings and they are so much better. Makes me want to eat a lot of salads.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    - zucchini noodles (aka zoodles)
    - pineapple Crush singles to-go packets
    - mince turkey or beef
    - vanilla ghee
    - heavy whipping cream in my coffee
    - eating more pepperoni and cheese
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruits, lean protein.
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with pb2, strawberries, apples, tofu, potatoes/sweet potatoes, green beans, bell peppers. Many of these are my every day staples.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eggs and cheese for sure. Foods that are higher in fat and in protein that will fill me up. Also dark chocolate, a square or two keeps my cravings for more indulgent sweets at bay.
  • marianlyn
    marianlyn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I add a hard boiled egg to bagged salads for lunch. I'm not usually one for pre-packages convenience foods, but those are so darn handy. Fruit and veggie smoothies for breakfast. These two help me get a huge head start on my produce for the day.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Classic smoked hickory jerky (wild bills), the chewing helps with cravings.
    Greek yogurt, delicious dill dip/salad dressings.
    Black Diamond Grand Reserve Cheddar, if you like sharp cheddar... this is the bomb.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was going to like spaghetti squash, but I wanted to have less carbs, so i tried it in place of regular spaghetti noodles. It had a different texture, but it worked! Tasted just fine and I got a lot less carbs!! Made it for my sister when she came for a visit and she asked for the recipe she liked it so much. Now the both of us have one less "bad" thing in our diet that we don't miss.
  • ginapupillokunda
    ginapupillokunda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    peanutbutter and oreos!
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I second the spaghetti squash. I discovered this a couple of months ago and i'm addicted! Its ridiculously low in calories and allows me to have large, satisfying portions.
  • remidowu
    remidowu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    microwave popcorn and low carb protein bars is the keyyyyy. sugary or salty cravings!