When ya can't help thinking ya caught a catfish

Options

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    Hahaha how does anyone get catfished nowadays? Its video chat or send me a video of yourself. Its easy. Everyone owns a smart phone or digital camera so its simple.

That's not true. When you're unemployed it's harder to obtain those things.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just super wary of being catfished. Maybe id be using better judgement if I hadn't had a few beers tonight, I guess that's just part of the internet though. Never been catfished to date, so maybe I can just chat to them and it will be fine. Unless they see this thread ! Lol just don't like being asked for personal details after a couple messages

But again, does it matter right now? You're not planning a life with this guy, right?

If he's horrifying you'll find out soon enough...then you won't see him again. Right?

Personally I just wouldn't be thinking this deeply into it yet. What is this guy asking of you to invest, that you feel it would be horrible if you found out he wasn't good-looking?
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I guess I'm just super wary of being catfished. Maybe id be using better judgement if I hadn't had a few beers tonight, I guess that's just part of the internet though. Never been catfished to date, so maybe I can just chat to them and it will be fine. Unless they see this thread ! Lol just don't like being asked for personal details after a couple messages

But again, does it matter right now? You're not planning a life with this guy, right?

If he's horrifying you'll find out soon enough...then you won't see him again. Right?

Personally I just wouldn't be thinking this deeply into it yet. What is this guy asking of you to invest, that you feel it would be horrible if you found out he wasn't good-looking?

no. she should not be giving any personal details to this random

Well, no, of course not.

• LAWoman72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Does it matter right now? Well yes. Id rather sniff out a catfish at the start

So then....

1. Ask to exchange full-body shots with each of you holding up a sign on which you've hand-written today's date.
    2. Don't invest any feelings in this near-stranger yet.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I have a bigger problem with pervs. That's who I seem to attract.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    I have a bigger problem with pervs. That's who I seem to attract.

Lucky *kitten* whats your secret??

Maybe I have a stamp on my forehead that only pervs can see, and it says "I'm a picture sending *kitten* who love D pics."
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    Unfortunately yes. And it's not just here. I don't get it. Maybe I'm sending a vibe that I'm not aware I'm sending.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have had three different women contact me through various social media website to ask if "I was me". Come to find out I have had profiles stolen and used on different sites. I had one lady convinced that I used my own profile on a dating site to catfish her...in Spain.

Feel sorry for people, but wutevs. I suppose I don't have anything to worry about cuz I don't do the whole nude pics and vids stuff, but if I did I would be sure to do a live video chat with them prior to anything.

Just sayin.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I have had three different women contact me through various social media website to ask if "I was me". Come to find out I have had profiles stolen and used on different sites. I had one lady convinced that I used my own profile on a dating site to catfish her...in Spain.

Feel sorry for people, but wutevs. I suppose I don't have anything to worry about cuz I don't do the whole nude pics and vids stuff, but if I did I would be sure to do a live video chat with them prior to anything.

Just sayin.

Good point! I guess I'm luckily I'm not one of those hots chicks that gets my picture used to catfish people lol
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    That said, I have come across two different women's risque pictures from MFP on adult sites. I contacted both to let them know, although they might not have been catfished, whom ever the guys where who received the pics did not have the best of intentions. That stuff is BS to me. Awkward conversations, but I'd rather they know.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options

Well if you're never going to meet them, why does it matter? I'm assuming this person doesn't live close to you. Oh I forgot this is an "online dating site" so anything can happen.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    Unfortunately yes. And it's not just here. I don't get it. Maybe I'm sending a vibe that I'm not aware I'm sending.

Well sorry your having to put up with that. Some people just don't have any moral code

I'm sure other people get it worse than me. But it kinda makes me want to just give up on humanity.