May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty and @Elise4270 - like @skippygirlsmom I have Nike Pro compression shorts that I really like. They don't ride up and they don't allow for chaffing/rubbing. I also found a pair from Skirtsports that I like because they have pockets on each thigh that are large enough for my phone and any snacks, etc.. I have gotten them on sale for around $30. I do have to admit I bought a pair of Lucy running capris when I was in Seattle with my daughter (totally her fault). They were not on sale but OMG do I love them! They are so comfortable, have the pockets I love and are super cute.

On the shorts conversation - I also have 2 pairs of Lucy shorts, one shorter and one longer that I love. The pockets are awesome. They are compression type shorts and I don't have any problems even with the shorter ones.

Just today I found some Oiselle shorts on clearance at Fleet Feet and I am wearing them right now. They are so comfortable and I'm wishing I had time to try them out before my Sunday HM to see if they work without riding up. They feel like they won't. But I probably will have to just go with my trusted Lucy shorts as I leave tomorrow morning.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Rest day tomorrow. I hope I don't sign up for anything unexpected.

That's where my OCD about training schedules comes in handy, I have my races for the year planned through October, and putting something in the middle would cause a shake up of my scheduling.... My OCD doesn't allow for that.

Come on, you telling me that you don't have a 13.1 training run planned in your schedule already that could turn into a race? :wink:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @stoshew71 just saw your comment on Skip. Prom just didn't turn out like she expected. I should have warned her prom wasn't like high school musical ha ha

But srsly - if you need us to come sort someone out (said in cockney accent as 'ahhhhht') just say the word....we'll be there

;)

I might have a bit of a chat with the boy, and he'll never disrespect my girl again... :wink: Though I think the cold shoulder and talking to he got from her was worse.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Same problem here. No HM options near here after early June until late September. I suspect it's an insurance thing, or maybe too draining on local EMT.

Ok, I lied. No ROAD HM's. I forgot about the late July Psycho Wyco Trail Run. Three 10ish mile loops on technical trails, pick your distance of one, two, or 3 laps (50k). I guess that's still not a HM, but those same crazy "Trail Nerds" do have a night time HM in the summer about 90 minutes away. No EMT's or insurance needed, I suspect. That's what coyotes are for.

I signed up for that late July 50k last year but had to DNS with my stress fracture. This year I'm not 50k ready and it conflicts with the San Francisco HM. I really want to do that one some day when I graduate to trail running. They also offer a winter run of the same name on the same trails, only running the route in reverse. Maybe February??
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I am going to preface this post so the wise folks don't warn me not to be stupid. I am NOT looking at running my marathon at these paces, it's just an informational post I found interesting.

So, I was plugging my most recent 10k PR into the Daniel's tables, and it gave me a SUB-4 marathon time!

Now here are some caveats, the recorded "10k PR" was in the middle of a 10 mile run, with 5 miles at Tempo, though I feel I could have gotten another 1.21 in at the pace I was going for the tempo portion. It's only a "best estimated 10k" from Strava.

Here's the thing, the 5k the tables give me is slower than my current PR (set in November). But the predicted 15k was about a minute faster than my current PR (set yesterday)

Another interesting thing. I plugged the same 10k time into the McMillan calculator, and it spit out a 4:03:54 marathon prediction, and the 15k and 10 mile estimates were about 30sec faster than the PR's on those, set yesterday.

Now, none of the "race PR's" were true PR's or, really honest attempts, because they were part of a workout with a 5 mile surge in the middle. Still, the data junkie in me is slightly amazed, as a year ago, I would never have dreamed of those kinds of outputs..... So glad tomorrow is back to running, this rest day has been far too interesting, and I need to get running, instead of thinking about it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty and @Elise4270 - like @skippygirlsmom I have Nike Pro compression shorts that I really like. They don't ride up and they don't allow for chaffing/rubbing. I also found a pair from Skirtsports that I like because they have pockets on each thigh that are large enough for my phone and any snacks, etc.. I have gotten them on sale for around $30. I do have to admit I bought a pair of Lucy running capris when I was in Seattle with my daughter (totally her fault). They were not on sale but OMG do I love them! They are so comfortable, have the pockets I love and are super cute.

On the shorts conversation - I also have 2 pairs of Lucy shorts, one shorter and one longer that I love. The pockets are awesome. They are compression type shorts and I don't have any problems even with the shorter ones.

Just today I found some Oiselle shorts on clearance at Fleet Feet and I am wearing them right now. They are so comfortable and I'm wishing I had time to try them out before my Sunday HM to see if they work without riding up. They feel like they won't. But I probably will have to just go with my trusted Lucy shorts as I leave tomorrow morning.

I have 4 pair of Oiselle ( roga maybe) I love them but some days they won't stay put! I'm sure it's my gait. Today they were fine. I'm gonna look for the Lucy shorts.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---3.11
    4---5.16
    6---6.62
    7---2.4 walk
    9---4.64

10th-15th in Georgia- lots of walking and ghost tours.

14---5.23 beach run
    16---4.22
    18---4.87

36.25/60

UPCOMING RACES

May 27- XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run. 5k.
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 5.15.17 - 5.21.17 * Semi-Taper Week to save miles for weekend.

M - Rest
    T - 10 @ 9:50
    W - Rest
    T - 9.5 @ 9:50
    F -
    S -
    S - * Cleveland Marathon 4:55 Pacer
    Total - ## Miles
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk what??? Where on earth are you that you have snow?

It was hot today here too but storms rolled in and it cooled off quite a bit. In a move that probably surprises no one on this thread, I took this as a sign to go out and try out my new shorts on a run.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    05/02/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 5.9
    05/03/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 8.9
    05/04/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 12.9
    05/05/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 16.0
    05/06/17 :::: 10.0 :::: 26.0
    05/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 26.0
    05/08/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 29.9
    05/09/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.5
    05/10/17 :::: 5.1 :::: 37.6
    05/11/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 40.9
    05/12/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 43.9
    05/13/17 :::: 8.0 :::: 51.8
    05/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 51.8
    05/15/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 51.8
    05/16/17 :::: 4.5 :::: 56.4
    05/17/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 56.4
    05/18/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 59.4

And...the shorts were pretty good. Not convinced enough that I'll wear them for my HM but promising. The pocket is too floppy for my phone for one thing. I can see wearing them a lot this summer though.

Mostly packed for tomorrow's road trip. Can't wait to get to the ocean! Have a good Friday everyone.

• GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Although just last week I was complaining about heat myself (until I looked at the weather and realized I was calling 65 "hot") .... I am currently baffled by all this talk of heat.....

plsb9qqogbbm.jpg

Snowing again tonight In Utah too!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk that's Why I won't say anything about the "heat" here until mid June.... one never knows.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Well... it was hot earlier this week and this past weekend. In the 90's. After some thunderstorms on Tues. night and Wed., it was 60's today (76% humidity last I checked).

I did 5.2 miles tonight. No running tomorrow, and I have a 10K on Sat.

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    5/1: rest
    5/2: 5 miles
    5/3: 6.3 miles
    5/4: 4.1 miles
    5/5: rest
    5/6: 10 miles
    5/7: 4 miles
    5/8: rest
    5/9: 3 miles, 4 miles (daily double)
    5/10: 7 miles
    5/11: rest
    5/12: 4 miles
    5/13: 9 miles
    5/14: 5 miles
    5/15: rest
    5/16: 5 miles
    5/17: 7 miles
    5/18: 4 miles

TOTAL: 77.4/120 miles

Not much to report except for trying to adjust to the sudden heat. My legs keep trying to go fast at first, but that doesn't really fare too well through the rest of my run. I may have to start getting up super early on some days in order to get all my runs in in the mornings before work. Some days I have to work at 7 though, so that will be tough. Or I can just get used to the heat. Not sure which will be the lesser of two evils.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Prom just didn't turn out like she expected.
    If she wants to hear from a OLD man, I'll tell her my tale of woe about senior prom (from the dinosaur era!). Prom sucks for guys, too, sometimes. :hugs:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.16 easy
    5/2 – 6.67 easy
    5/3 – rest day
    5/4 – 8.08 easy
    5/5 – rest day
    5/6 – 11.23 loosely paced run
    5/7 – 11.08 easy with fast finish
    5/8 – 5.23 easy
    5/9 – 8.16 warm up, speed work, cool down
    5/10 – 5.66 group run
    5/11 – 7.25 easy plus 5 strides
    5/12 – rest day
    5/13 – 15.07 paced run
    5/14 – 7.20 easy
    5/15 – 6.03 easy
    5/16 – 10.63 warm up, speed work, cool down
    5/17 – 3.35 recovery run
    5/18 – 8.61 warm up, workout
    5/19 – rest day

May total to date – one hundred nineteen + 0.41 (remembered the spam bot!)

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Build base. 5/28, start training plan toward MVP Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – A lot of training is mental. We runners play mind games, and we're not always aware what mind games we're playing.

After having to downgrade yesterday's run from easy to recovery, I was just a bit concerned about today. The assignment on the club web site for Lilac run was 8 miles continuous, and it was going to be another warm evening. It turned out to be 84º F (29º C) when I ran. The humidity has been building, though it is not yet as bad as it will be in mid-summer. It's time to get acclimated to warm weather running.

Got to club practice, and Coach had modified the Lilac assignment: 3-5 miles easy, plus 2 sets of 15 second cutbacks starting at 1:00. Okay, I ran the 2 mile warmup; I'll do 5 easy miles and the cutbacks. There wasn't anyone doing a similar workout who was close to my easy pace, so I ran solo. The mental games left over from yesterday got me to run toward trails, and I must have run about 3 of the 5 miles on trails. Did a bit of exploring, and found another loop of trail I could run, and it was nice that the trails were soft and had lots of shade. For the first mile or so I looked at my heart rate, saw that I was maintaining it pretty much in the low 130s, and then ran by feel. The pace was slower on the trails than on asphalt, but the effort was comparable.

Things worked out that I got back to the track before I had my 5 miles, so I ran the last bit on the nice soft track, then when Garmin autolapped at 5 miles I went right into the cutbacks. I hadn't heard anything about what to do for recovery between the sets, so I went right into the second set after the last 15 seconds of recovery at the end of the first set.

By the time I finished the cutbacks, I had forgotten my concerns about my legs being beat up. Pumping the pace and the heart rate for the last 10 minutes really put me into a different mental state. It's fairly dramatic on the graphs, too:

s5arwevb7fy1.png

Cutbacks are a typical Thursday speed work assignment before a team race on the weekend. There is supposed to be a bit of physical tune up for the race in something faster than race pace but not terribly long. For sure the cutbacks were a great mental tune up today.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Rochester, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles
    5/3/17: 3.5 miles
    5/4/17: 3.1miles
    5/6/17: 3.1 miles
    5/7/17: 3.5 miles
    5/9/17: 4.1 miles
    5/10/17: 3.5 miles
    5/12/17: 2.5 miles
    5/14/17: 3.5 miles
    5/16/17: 3.8 miles
    5/18/17: 3.2 miles

37.8/50 miles

Tonight's run was good but hot and humid. I did manage to get it done before the thunderstorms hit. We had hail break through the window in our front room. I hate thunderstorms. I wish we could sometime just get rain. There were calling for thunderstorms for Saturday morning, but now they have moved the predictions and it should be good for the 5k. I hope so. I got the email today about picking up the packets etc. Apparently they have door prizes and several of the door prizes are beer or wine. It should be pretty fun. I'm hoping to improve my time over the last race.

exercise.png