May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 I'll bring water from time to time if it's really hot, but mostly I pour it the back of my neck while I'm running. I would definitely agree that Mother's Tea is WAY more important than running. I bet that was sweet.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Do you all carry water for shorter runs in the heat? I never have, but I wonder if it wouldn't feel so hard if I was hydrating throughout.

I don't carry water. I have a hydration belt but find it's easier to just loop back by the car, drink from the well spigot or make stops at water fountains since all my running is in a park. And the dog park is a great place to put my head under the faucet. Or we have cold springs 30 miles away that makes for a super cool off mid run.

I keep a case of water in the trunk and NUUN tablets for electrolytes. I have a nice insulated cup that'll keep ice for hours.

So, the belt doesn't get used anymore.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    09/05 3.53 miles
    10/05 3.59 miles
    11/05 3.56 miles
    15/05 3.66 miles
    16/05 4.02 miles
    17/05 3.56 miles
    18/05 3.58 miles
    19/05 4.40 miles

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    5/1= 3 mile run + 1 hour kettlebell workout
    5/2 = rest day
    5/3 = 6 mile run
    5/4 = 6 mile run
    5/5 = forced rest day due to work schedule :(
    5/6 = 7.5 miles
    5/7 = 11 miles
    5/8 = 5.5 miles & strength training
    5/9 = Vinyasa yoga class
    5/10 = 6 miles
    5/11 = 6.5 miles & strength training
    5/12 = 7 miles
    5/13 = vinyasa yoga class
    5/14 = 10 miles
    5/15 = 5.5 miles & strength training
    5/16 = Vinyasa yoga class & 6 miles
    5/17 = Rest Day
    5/18 = 8.5 miles
    5/19 = 5.5 miles & kettlebell class

Thoughts on my run today, "Remember that 5k I ran this winter in 17 degrees... that was nice"

84 degrees and 70% humidity by 8am. Humidity is my least favorite weather condition to run in. Gross.

May Goal 94/125 miles
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Although just last week I was complaining about heat myself (until I looked at the weather and realized I was calling 65 "hot") .... I am currently baffled by all this talk of heat.....

plsb9qqogbbm.jpg

Snowing again tonight In Utah too!

I am so jealous of this right now. It is 91 degrees here in Texas today. And it's only going to get worse!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Although just last week I was complaining about heat myself (until I looked at the weather and realized I was calling 65 "hot") .... I am currently baffled by all this talk of heat.....

plsb9qqogbbm.jpg

Snowing again tonight In Utah too!

I am so jealous of this right now. It is 91 degrees here in Texas today. And it's only going to get worse!

42 degrees today in Illinois. It was in the 70s yesterday and in the 80s earlier this week. What.

Just thankful no snow.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty and @Elise4270 - like @skippygirlsmom I have Nike Pro compression shorts that I really like. They don't ride up and they don't allow for chaffing/rubbing. I also found a pair from Skirtsports that I like because they have pockets on each thigh that are large enough for my phone and any snacks, etc.. I have gotten them on sale for around $30. I do have to admit I bought a pair of Lucy running capris when I was in Seattle with my daughter (totally her fault). They were not on sale but OMG do I love them! They are so comfortable, have the pockets I love and are super cute.

On the shorts conversation - I also have 2 pairs of Lucy shorts, one shorter and one longer that I love. The pockets are awesome. They are compression type shorts and I don't have any problems even with the shorter ones.

Just today I found some Oiselle shorts on clearance at Fleet Feet and I am wearing them right now. They are so comfortable and I'm wishing I had time to try them out before my Sunday HM to see if they work without riding up. They feel like they won't. But I probably will have to just go with my trusted Lucy shorts as I leave tomorrow morning.

I have 4 pair of Oiselle ( roga maybe) I love them but some days they won't stay put! I'm sure it's my gait. Today they were fine. I'm gonna look for the Lucy shorts.

I found these in the online sale section as well as a longer pair for $9! I will probably order both and maybe another pair that isn't marked down...

http://www.lucy.com/shop/sale-bottoms/yoga-flow-short-0a2vrb-sale?variationId=5QM

I am recovering from a migraine this morning so no running. Pretty sure a little shopping will help, right :wink:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 I'll bring water from time to time if it's really hot, but mostly I pour it the back of my neck while I'm running. I would definitely agree that Mother's Tea is WAY more important than running. I bet that was sweet.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Carrying water is my normal mode of running for easy runs; I'll leave the hydration belt off for races of 5 miles or shorter, and I might not take it on an easy run if I expect to only be out for 30 minutes or so. But I mostly train carrying water and Nuun, whether I rely on them or not. This comes from the philosophy of being a distance runner, in training for half marathons and marathons. I train with what I expect to race with.

In April I ran a 10K for the first time without carrying water, and found that I actually could grab a swallow of water from the wax paper cup at race pace. I just have to be comfortable with the facts that I'll only get one swallow and I'll waste most of the water. I don't think I want to do that for any race long enough to be taking a gel during the race; for those, I want to carry water so I can take the gel on my schedule rather than where the race organizers put aid stations.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I become a morning person in the summer. In Texas, it's still super freaking hot in the evenings so my options are to run in the am before sun up, run on a dreadmill in the a/c after work, or suffer in the crazy heat while running during lunch or after work. Even though, the getting up part is hard, I truly love running in the mornings. I feel so much better once I am running. Plus, there are more sprinklers to run through! Lol

I do have a night time HM in July, so I am going to do 1 run a week during the day or evening so I get somewhat acclimated to running in the heat. A few weeks ago, I did a 12 mile run in 88 degrees with hardly any shade. It was misery and I had to rest in the shade numerous times. I do not like to stop on my long runs.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    @amymoreorless I'm in Texas too, but today was my rest day. Thank goodness since it was super humid yuck today.

@RespectTheKitty I'll be in Illinois tomorrow for the Chicago Spring Half Marathon on Sunday and a few days of work next week. Please keep the cooler weather there for me!! Lol

• BeeerRunner
    Options
    @zdyb23456 When it's really hot, I'll bring water with me even on shorter runs, especially if the sun is out of if I'm doing speed work. I may or may not drink any and I may or may not pour some on my head, down my back. Lol! Like @MobyCarp I use a hydration belt. I did get a hydration vest for longer runs since it's summer and I'll be training for a marathon on 10/1.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Dem feelz. Wait until your last mile on race day.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Anyone have advice on buying shoes? I never bought a good pair of shoes in my life. I'm only getting my pay at the end of the month but I might as well inform myself now.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be like I'm glad that *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* is over ...LOL
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    I'll probably be like I'm glad that *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* is over ...LOL
    Very much so.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    Anyone have advice on buying shoes? I never bought a good pair of shoes in my life. I'm only getting my pay at the end of the month but I might as well inform myself now.
    Find a specialty running shop if you can. Not an Academy Sports or anything like that, but a place like "Joe's Running Store" or along those lines. They will probably have weekly running groups, and maybe even sponsor and provide help at many local running events. They have a keen interest in having a healthy and happy running community in order to stay in business, not just to sell some item in their inventory.

Wherever you go, if the sales associate does not at least inspect your current shoes for the wear pattern to get an idea of your gait, leave. Preferably they should also offer a gait analysis by watching you run in the store, on a treadmill, outside, wherever. They had also best suggest multiple options and insist that you try them on and run in them inside the store, on a treadmill, or wherever. Pick the shoes that feel best to you. The store must also offer a full refund or exchange for a different model you evaluated if you are unhappy with your shoes for any reason over a period of at least 30 days to let you truly evaluate the shoes. Any less, and don't give them your money.

If the above is simply impossible because no such thing exists for whatever reason within 5000 miles, then you can shop online, but only shop from a place that offers a full refund/exchange after an evaluation period. You can't truly tell that a shoe isn't working out until you have really run in it for a while. Before shopping, get sized. Go big. Give your toes some room. Find out if you need wide shoes or are close to a wide, and if so then go wide. Your feet can swell if you do a lot of running, you may need the room. Don't go too big though, but don't settle for something on the small side, that will always come back to bite you. Use a tool like this (or google some others) to get an idea of what kind of shoe you need...not brand, I mean whether you need a support shoe due to overpronating, or that sort of thing. Brands have different models suited for such things.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoefinder

Good luck! The most important thing whichever route you go is that money back guarantee. If you find yourself in pain or uncomfortable, switch them out for shoes that work as opposed to shoes that hurt. You will give up running if all it does is cause you pain, and that would be unfortunate when it is actually the fault of bad shoes.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Do you all carry water for shorter runs in the heat? I never have, but I wonder if it wouldn't feel so hard if I was hydrating throughout.
    Not for shorter runs (anymore) - when I was a newer runner, I'd chunk a bottle of water into the grass at my first turn, pick it up on the return loop, and then chunk it again for the later return.

These days, I generally don't do water for much of any of my runs. I *do* take water at stops in races.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    wK 5.15.17 - 5.21.17 * Semi-Taper Week to save miles for weekend.

M - Rest
    T - 10 @ 9:50
    W - Rest
    T - 9.5 @ 9:50
    F - 2.7 @ 10:35
    S -
    S - * Cleveland Marathon 4:55 Pacer
    Total - ## Miles

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Only 6 pages behind in 2 days.....lol....you guys!!!!!

Tomorrow I will be running in the Geist half marathon. I finished working 3 twelve hour night shifts and have slept a total of 13 hours in the last 3 days. Not expecting to pr but running for the experience and to gauge what is working or not working in my training.

One of my co-workers was fired this week after 30 years of hard work and dedication. The manager wanted her gone. In the last 3 weeks we have lost 4 co-workers, 3 have been fired and one has quit. I am trying to decide whether or not I am going to stay much longer but probably going to look for another job after I get back from vacation.

Will update you with race report. I hope that it is not as crowded as the race a weeks ago. It is supposed to rain tomorrow but think that it is going to happen after the race.