Fat Shamed at Grocery Stores

Options

Replies

• fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ok, that's just horrible. No matter what your BMI, you need to eat, and they need to treat all customers with respect. As the others said, I hope you reported this. One step further- if this ever happens again, you should stop and take their picture. See if they like someone posting about what a horrible person they are (and sending to their management).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    OP. Look up 'learned helplessness'. Several people on these boards suffer from it. It goes like this:
    1) Post about a problem or incident that is far worse than anyone on here has ever experienced in the history of the world.
    2) Shoot down every possible solution/action for various reasons then tell everyone you have stuffed your face because of aforementioned problem/incident
    3) Get called out for attention seeking
    4) Post a generic short response 'Thanks everyone', 'I am back on track' etc because your attention cup has now been filled and to minimize negative backlash

Rinse. Repeat.

God forbid humans need attention. Really, we should just be isolated little self-healing machines. /sarcasm

Your comment makes you sound like a wanker. Are you a wanker?

I think you'll find everyone is a wanker. If they say they don't do it they're lying....

**raises hand**
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im appalled and what i just read. I really hope you spoke to the managers both times. That is not okay. But i know how you feel. Ive never been obese but i was over weight for 8 years and i cant tell you how many times i wore a dress and women asked me how many months pregnant i was and when id say im not pregnant they'd give me dirty looks like "oh youre just fat" then say "oh sorry" and walk away. There was a handful of times my husbands family asked me too and when i said i wasnt they literally said "you look 5 months pregnant". That doesnt happen anymore thank goodness. You have to take control and say eff them.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Flip her the bird, and learn to live in the land of "give no fooks" about what strangers think.
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If anything, you should feel sorry for the cashier.... she's obvious miserable and hates herself. When people are unhappy they try to put others down and attack. You do you, you try to fix you and don't worry about her sorry *kitten* or anyone else.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You need to write i and complain about both stores that's disgraceful
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Zombies! Zombies!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is this for realz? :|
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Is this for realz? :|

It's 7 months old and i seem to recall op started a couple similar threads relating to different stores around her town. OP has also deactivated.
  • DrTrushna
    DrTrushna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you had to hear such crap. I was and am fat shamed too, verbally and with looks. But I am sooo glad you have begun your way to fitness. Stay strong. These are just the hurdles that you are supposed to go through... they will add spice to your success story after all :wink:
    Game on! Keep at it.
  • Titoki1
    Titoki1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    this is appalling and I hope you complain to management!
  • fitforeternity493
    fitforeternity493 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I believe there is some degree of truth however through my experiences people's attitudes around fat shaming are either subtle or back handed..

However I feel like you shouldn't tolerate any rude comments made about you. And you definitely shouldn't pig out on junk food just because a witch of a cashier decided to make mean comments about what you buy.. Report it to management and have a kick a** comeback next time, and keep on your journey of weight loss.. When I lost weight and now I'm down to 182 on my 5'9 frame people are much more pleasant and if someone is a witch to me it's not because of my weight it's because they were and are just miserable to begin with..

Fat shaming isn't ever ok but don't give people power over your emotions.. I did at one point and I got screwed over in the end.

Nowadays I'm accused of having bullemia from a group of ex friends that ditched me once I lost a fair amount of weight.. That's the rumor that I hear from mutual friends anyways.. And I laugh at the sheer stupidity of some people..

My point is people are going to criticize you no matter what.. You can't let ignorant people get to your emotions. It's hard in the beginning but eventually you realize how people act around or toward you says more about them than it does you.. All you can do is smile and be happy within yourself.

Don't give up and never surrender.
  • mitchell_maya1705
    mitchell_maya1705 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To be honest, both those people sound like *kitten* and bullies. Don't take any of their *kitten*. Hearing your story has made me angry, that these people think they have a right to comment about you. I would say avoid those cashiers, go to other ones or use self-check out. And if anything tell them off because that is horrible and is pissing me off.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why ressurect this old thread?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    I may be 'fat' but hey, atleast I'm not a cashier! *smirk* walk away

Don't ever disrespect someone because of their job.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are either of the stores chains where they would have a social media presence?

If you are uncomfortable addressing it in person, try email. Especially given the impact that social media can carry - not only do they risk losing you as a customer but hundreds if not thousands of others. I would not hesitate to contact them and let them know if you are ever made to feel uncomfortable again, you would tell the world via social media.

What was said is completely unacceptable. Continue to focus on your health, but do NOT let others put you down like that.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    f81t1k63dl8k.png
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If it were me and that happened I would probably contact the local paper to do a human interest story and have them fired after the bad press.
  • PackPariah
    PackPariah Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Geeze, I went to friend this person and saw the account was deactivated. Then I realized this post was from almost a year ago lol. Felt bad, hopefully the OP got through it ok.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why not take what they said and throw it back in their face by loosing the weight? Part of being a grown up is being able to handle criticism and respond appropriatly. Every one you you meet will not support your journey, but you aren't doing this for them ... you are doing this for YOU!