Watermelon

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Watermelon is actually pretty low in calories compared to other foods. I don't like watermelon, but I see no reason not to eat it unless it doesn't fill you up at all and/or will make you go over your daily calorie limit somehow. 100g does not look like 2 bites to me...
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

It looks like 4-5 large bites or 7-8 of my sized bites. I would think 200g (60 calories) could be a decent snack.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

Lol wut?

I mean the IIFYM folks will say any food is good. So im putting in a disclaimer that some people are selective about the foods they eat and so comparing watermelon to some candy treat - the watermelon would be worth it nutritionally.

Weren't you the one who introduced the idea of cake? <confused>
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I love watermelon. I always thought it has like 0 calories. It has 30 per 100grams which doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that being a lot of water makes watermelon heavy. 100g is like 2 bites.
    Now watermelon is still delicious summery and fits my macros but I was shocked when my serving was like 200 calories.
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I don't know why I thought a bowl would be like 50 calories I mainly posted due to how off my mental guess was. I can't be the only person ever amazed at serving vs Calories.

Are you weighing your watermelon now? Because you must take some pretty big bites and use big bowls (or pile your watermelon pretty high in a smaller bowl). 100 g of watermelon would be about two-thirds of a cup of diced or balled melon; 50 calories would be a little over a full cup of diced or balled melon. That seems like a pretty good calorie bargain to me. I can eat well over half a pound of watermelon, and still be under 100 calories.

Something wrong with your maths - how can 100g be 2/3 of a cup if 50 gm is bit over a full cup??

Although it matters not to me as I cant stand water melon, tastes like soggy straw.

Sorry, all you water melon lovers. B)

You misread -- I said 100 grams was 2/3 of a cup, but 50 calories (kcals) was a bit over a full cup.

My apologies - yes i did.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    mm i haven't had watermelon in while, need to get some... i know it's delicious.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Watermelon is actually pretty low in calories compared to other foods. I don't like watermelon, but I see no reason not to eat it unless it doesn't fill you up at all and/or will make you go over your daily calorie limit somehow. 100g does not look like 2 bites to me...
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

It looks like 4-5 large bites or 7-8 of my sized bites. I would think 200g (60 calories) could be a decent snack.

that's a really sad amount of water melon- :(

I eat like 1/2 a watermelon if I can.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is a watermelon thread every year. It's the sign of summer here on MFP.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

Lol wut?

I mean the IIFYM folks will say any food is good. So im putting in a disclaimer that some people are selective about the foods they eat and so comparing watermelon to some candy treat - the watermelon would be worth it nutritionally.

Most IIFYM people are selective about what they eat and care about nutrition and all that. Rejecting good/bad as a label for food doesn't preclude that.

Cake and watermelon have different macros and calories, also.

Agree. Do I only have room for X number of carbs but already hit my fat goal?? Watermelon. Do I have room for X amount of fats and carbs? Cake. Easy. Depending on the circumstance, all foods fit.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    regpark85 wrote: »
    mm i haven't had watermelon in while, need to get some... i know it's delicious.

Love it with some course sea salt or crumbled feta. YUM
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    but it also has alot of sugar....

though i love blending my protein powder and watermelon. makes a protein shake real delicious
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is an excellent way to eat watermelon.

Watermelon and tomato salad with feta is a great thing, too. A later-in-the-summer-than-now thing, where I live, but one I do look forward to.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

If you've gotten you nutrition for the day and can have the piece of cake without going into a calorie surplus, what's the problem? You don't get any extra credit for more "nutritious" watermelon...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is an excellent way to eat watermelon.

Watermelon and tomato salad with feta is a great thing, too. A later-in-the-summer-than-now thing, where I live, but one I do look forward to.

If you like spicy and sweet, watermelon with chopped minced jalapeno and some lime juice is also a great summer salad.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    but it also has alot of sugar....

though i love blending my protein powder and watermelon. makes a protein shake real delicious

Speaking as someone who has zero medical issues​ related to the consumption of sugar, I have to ask, "So what that it contains sugar? It's a fruit, so if course it does. What's the problem with that?"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

It is a very small serving to me, but that serving is only 60 calories. I'd likely eat 2-3 of those.

I love to put watermelon in the blender with some red wine for a refreshing summer smoothie.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

It is a very small serving to me, but that serving is only 60 calories. I'd likely eat 2-3 of those.

I love to put watermelon in the blender with some red wine for a refreshing summer smoothie.

Actually, that serving is only 30 kcal (scale reads 100 g). So you could have two to three of those servings, and still be under 100 kcal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

Actually, that serving is only 30 kcal (scale reads 100 g). So you could have two to three of those servings, and still be under 100 kcal.

Even better!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    This thread got me craving watermelon, so I bought some even though it's not at its best yet here. I had as much last night as I wanted (not quite a quarter of a mediumish melon) and it was only 76 calories.

I wonder if OP was including the rind in weighing, to feel like watermelon was high calorie. (Yes, I know, even 76 kcals is a lot when you think it's zero.)
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For me the best part of watermelon is that it tastes best on very hot days when I am thirsty. So I love to spend an hour outside exercising when it is in the 30s, come in and eat a kg of watermelon for only 300 calories without drinking anything. Sooo good.

I have two watermelons chilling in my fridge that I got at Trader Joes for $3 each yesterday. Hoping for warm weather this weekend.

I also bought some silicone bowl covers that I got from an Amazon flash sale. They are kind of rubbish for covering bowls, but they work perfect for covering up my watermelon in the fridge after slicing off a ring.