How is it so easy for so many people to eat less?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's not easy, most things in life aren't. You just have to decide if good health is a priority for you.

With that said, without seeing your food diary, I would start out cutting out just half of what you consider the unhealthy, high calorie foods, keep the rest of your diet the same, maybe add an extra 15 minutes of walking a day (does not have to be all at the same time).

Give this 3 weeks and check your progress. Best of luck.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight weighing 340, my maintenance calories were 3500. A few weeks after I started I was eating 1300 and stuck to it for almost 9 months and lost 160 pounds. My appetite just adjusted itself after a while, but it takes time.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not sure if this was already mentioned, but maybe you could step up your exercise to accommodate the higher calories. Twice a week is not enough even for good heart health. That whole eat less and move more is really good science based advice for weight loss AND general optimal health.

I love to eat! It's fun and pleasurable. People who say they don't care and just eat to fuel their bodies are the exception, rather than the rule. Since I enjoy my food I decided I need to exercise more to allow myself to eat yummy things once in awhile (not every day, though). Here's a few things I do to stay on track:
    1. On a daily basis I eat a highly plant-based diet with lean proteins and dairy and moderate complex carbs. I eat quite a few egg/egg white and veggie scrambles. I eat a lot of BIG salads with a large amount of leafy greens, low-carb veggies, a little meat and grain (think mixing bowl size).
    2. I splurge once a week or so and eat out, but I usually bring home half for another meal. I ask for a to-go box when I order the meal and put half the meal in the box before I even start eating. Nobody looks at me funny. :p
    3. I exercise 5-6 days a week and I can pretty much fit in whatever I want to eat within reason. I almost always have a little chocolate or a couple bites of ice cream after dinner.
    4. I joined several fun MFP challenges that have both exercise and nutrition components. It helps to keep my eye on the goal, which is to be as healthy as possible and I've made a lot of great friends doing it.
    You can do this and have a good time with it! Challenge yourself and don't look at a lifestyle change as a punishment or deprivation, but as positive empowerment. Life is supposed to be fun!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    "How is it so easy for so many people to eat less?"

Just to respond directly to this: It's not. I've lost 130+ pounds. None of it was "easy". Simple? Sure. Easy? Absolutely not. It took months of building new better eating habits, took months for my palette to readjust. If it was easy everyone would be fit :)

For tips/recommendations, reduce sugars and simple flours to reduce cravings. Otherwise 90% of this is going to be pure will power. It was for me, and still is. It's still not easy.

Great answer
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Practice in self-control from my religious days. The point of religious fasting isn't to impress God; it's to strengthen the control of the mind/nous/soul over the body. So in certain seasons, and certain times of the week, I just got used to feeling a little hungry or denying myself something I really wanted. Now, I scarcely notice I'm doing it.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I, too, have been doing this for a long time. It's been 5 years. I'm down 60 with 20-40 to go.

What has helped me is a small deficit. Honestly? I would eat what you are eating and exercise. Not decrease calories and exercise. Obviously, what you are doing isn't sustainable, otherwise it would have worked. That's why you end up quitting.

I also have taken lots of breaks.

I agree with every word of this!

And I agree with the person who was a little frustrated with "It's all mental." It actually isn't all mental...you are still in a deficit so to that degree it is still physical. It's not like your body just totally doesn't notice you're never quite getting enough to eat for weeks, months or years. I do get that the advice is well-intended and that to a degree it's mental, yes. It IS probably to a large extent about being used to very big portions. But really, if you're in a deficit I don't see that it's weird or that you could be considered not to be mentally strong for feeling hungry. You're supposed to feel hungry. You're in a deficit. Yes, some people report they have NO excess hunger even while in this deficit and for the life of me I have no idea how.

Hang in there, OP.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    It's not easy. People do it because its something important to them.

I agree with this too.

Someone I've known for years looked me up and down recently and said, "I'm jealous!"

I said, "Don't be. I'm hungry."

She's jealous of me because I'm much thinner than she is now, but she's unwilling to eat less and feel bad that way. I'm jealous of her because she can eat all the macaroons and lasagna she wants, but I'm unwilling to be big anymore and feel bad that way. Each of us feels either bad or good per our own choices. But neither way is scott-free.

That's a good point! Never thought of it this way, but so true.
  • prpeterson2016
    prpeterson2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I need help. I'm starting to think that I will never be able to lose weight. I've been trying to lose about three years now but it's not working. I lose a pound and quickly gain it back. I can't seem to stick to eating less, I will do it for one or two days at a time (three for the most) and then I get hungry and eat too much. I started off wanting to lose 25 pounds three years ago and since then I have gained another 30 pounds. I am 5'9" and currently 215 pounds and need to get to 160.

I think my maintenance is about 2250 but I normally eat about 2500 so that is what my body is used to. I try reducing to between 1750 and 2000 and to exercise consistently. I'll make it a few days and then feel crazy hungry and overeat again. I tried IF 16:8 and that helped a lot but again, hard to stick to.

On average I eat probably 100 to 120 grams of protein, maybe 100 grams of fat and about 300 grams of carbs. I know it's a lot. I normally exercise about twice a week and with this I gain about a pound a month.

I eat healthy foods everyday - fruit and vegetables, a variety of meat (not processed), beans, oatmeal etc but I eat a lot of unhealthy, high calorie foods too.

Anyone else experienced this and overcame it? I would really appreciate and welcome all thoughts and advice. Thanks for reading.

I would love to chat with you and try and help you. I am by no means a nutritional expert or a personal trainer; however, I have had issues with food over the past 10 years due to many different reasons. What I thought was becoming hopeless, I am now just seeing the light. I'm beginning to become successful with my eating habits, and I would love to try and research with you and from that research explore options. I have been doing research over the past 10 years of what would be good for losing weight, and I would put things to the test and fall off the wagon after only a week.. due to experimenting and failing, it caused my eating habits to become worse and worse and I gained weight at a steady pace every year. Message me if you would like to chat, add me as a friend :) We are all in this together!
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the other's post, so this may be repeated. But I drink a lot of water which helps me feel fuller. I also like a piece of gum when I know I don't truly need food, but I want something in my mouth. Another helpful thing is to eat filling foods. Find out what makes you feel full longer, and use those as snacks. Or you can also eat lower calories foods, as these you can eat more of without all the extra calories. And go down to a lower calorie count slowly. Start off with only a hundred less for one week, then add another hundred the next and so one. That one helped me big time in the beginning. Now there are days I am really low on calories, but I am content without hunger. I believe in you! I know you can do it if you put your mind to it!