Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I find when I cut refined sugar out of my diet my cravings completely disappear. I never cut out fruits. I don't eat ketchup (before anyone jumps on that wagon). So IMHO it does make a difference. Don't know the science.....don't care. Just know it works for me. Also, I have an easier time shedding belly fat without refined sugar. Don't know the science, don't care....works for me. Do you and if it makes you crave less, lose more....whatever....just do you.

If only more people here took the approach of suggesting and OP make their own decisions and give their views a try, me might have less "but why cut out (whatever) threads"!

Especially if one, like the poster you quoted, misreads the OP to be about exactly what one has decided is helpful for oneself!

I didn't notice anyone telling OP that he absolutely must not cut out sugars from vegetables, but simply reminding him that it's not just cutting out fruit and sweets and lattes, that sugar is in a LOT of whole foods. Personally, if he wants to, whatever.
    As for all the comments from other posters about hidden sugars, logging and label reading is a great way to find them.

Gosh, just like all the people saying it's not hidden, it's on the label were recommending -- reading labels is always a good idea, and if you log it's impossible to claim hidden sugar (and then check out the various sources if one wishes -- that is what I do if surprised, but so far it's rare, the most surprising things to me have been some whole foods like leeks and blueberries (amount, not that they had it), nothing with added sugar, but then I've pretty much always read labels).
    BBQ sauce is one thing in particular where I wish there were more options lower in sugar.

You can make your own, although w/o sugar of any sort it might not count as real BBQ sauce under any of the standard styles (I am not savvy enough about BBQ to know if that's so). But again I think most people would expect a BBQ sauce to have some sugar, and the amount of sugar added varies quite a bit (I know this, because recently I was wondering if any might fit into my current macros and I looked through a bunch of different ones at Plum Market -- some weren't all that high, but as I expected none would work for me currently, bought some salsa for lazy nights when I don't want to make my own sauce, instead--one of the Frontera ones, 2 TBSP and 2 g carbs, <1 g sugar).

I think most of the commercial brands are Kansas City style...which are very sweet tomato based sauces. There are styles that are vinegar based that have little or no sugar. They use that type in North Carolina often. I don't know of any brands, or if you would need to make your own. There are also mustard style sauces, but I've never tried this type so don't know how much sugar is added (if any). Bottom line, I think there are many regional variations, and not all are sweet. But overall, most Americans are used to the sweet kind.

I actually looked at Carolina style because I thought it would be lower, but it was too high for my current goal. I can work with a dry rub anyway (and I do specifically like Memphis style for ribs, since I don't like messy anyway) -- I normally make up my own thing when doing pulled pork with spices and maybe some ACV. I was just curious since I was in a store with a lot of less common options (Plum Market is like WF on steroids) what would be available. Got some avocado oil aioli in addition to the salsa.

Most BBQ dry rubs contain sugar also. It's an essential element to create the "bark"/crust on ribs, pork shoulder, etc. when it caramelizes in the Maillard Reaction. I mean, you can certainly cook BBQ without it, but it's just not the same.

I always do my ribs Memphis style (dry rub, sauce on the side when they're served), but every rub I use has sugar in it - usually as one of the first three or four ingredients in the list.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I find when I cut refined sugar out of my diet my cravings completely disappear. I never cut out fruits. I don't eat ketchup (before anyone jumps on that wagon). So IMHO it does make a difference. Don't know the science.....don't care. Just know it works for me. Also, I have an easier time shedding belly fat without refined sugar. Don't know the science, don't care....works for me. Do you and if it makes you crave less, lose more....whatever....just do you.

If only more people here took the approach of suggesting and OP make their own decisions and give their views a try, me might have less "but why cut out (whatever) threads"!

Especially if one, like the poster you quoted, misreads the OP to be about exactly what one has decided is helpful for oneself!

I didn't notice anyone telling OP that he absolutely must not cut out sugars from vegetables, but simply reminding him that it's not just cutting out fruit and sweets and lattes, that sugar is in a LOT of whole foods. Personally, if he wants to, whatever.
    As for all the comments from other posters about hidden sugars, logging and label reading is a great way to find them.

Gosh, just like all the people saying it's not hidden, it's on the label were recommending -- reading labels is always a good idea, and if you log it's impossible to claim hidden sugar (and then check out the various sources if one wishes -- that is what I do if surprised, but so far it's rare, the most surprising things to me have been some whole foods like leeks and blueberries (amount, not that they had it), nothing with added sugar, but then I've pretty much always read labels).
    BBQ sauce is one thing in particular where I wish there were more options lower in sugar.

You can make your own, although w/o sugar of any sort it might not count as real BBQ sauce under any of the standard styles (I am not savvy enough about BBQ to know if that's so). But again I think most people would expect a BBQ sauce to have some sugar, and the amount of sugar added varies quite a bit (I know this, because recently I was wondering if any might fit into my current macros and I looked through a bunch of different ones at Plum Market -- some weren't all that high, but as I expected none would work for me currently, bought some salsa for lazy nights when I don't want to make my own sauce, instead--one of the Frontera ones, 2 TBSP and 2 g carbs, <1 g sugar).

I think most of the commercial brands are Kansas City style...which are very sweet tomato based sauces. There are styles that are vinegar based that have little or no sugar. They use that type in North Carolina often. I don't know of any brands, or if you would need to make your own. There are also mustard style sauces, but I've never tried this type so don't know how much sugar is added (if any). Bottom line, I think there are many regional variations, and not all are sweet. But overall, most Americans are used to the sweet kind.

I actually looked at Carolina style because I thought it would be lower, but it was too high for my current goal. I can work with a dry rub anyway (and I do specifically like Memphis style for ribs, since I don't like messy anyway) -- I normally make up my own thing when doing pulled pork with spices and maybe some ACV. I was just curious since I was in a store with a lot of less common options (Plum Market is like WF on steroids) what would be available. Got some avocado oil aioli in addition to the salsa.

Most BBQ dry rubs contain sugar also. It's an essential element to create the "bark"/crust on ribs, pork shoulder, etc. when it caramelizes in the Maillard Reaction. I mean, you can certainly cook BBQ without it, but it's just not the same.

I always do my ribs Memphis style (dry rub, sauce on the side when they're served), but every rub I use has sugar in it - usually as one of the first three or four ingredients in the list.

Yeah, I realize that. I don't do BBQ for my pulled pork and do make up my own dry rub, but I have a couple of commercial ones that have sugar in them. My pulled pork is good, but the standard way I do it is by no means going to be really like BBQ, so not adding sugar makes no difference (I'm not anti adding sugar, which this is sounding like -- it was all just a digression because someone was talking about BBQ and I'd just looked at some on a whim, as it's not something I normally use much).

The comment about Memphis style was not meant to suggest it did not have sugar, but was just an aside.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    For those later in the discussion focused on the evils of added sugar and so-called hidden sugar, I do have a question. Like I said, I gave it up for a while as an experiment (at the time I was trying to avoid non homemade stuff in general, so it was pretty easy). I've returned to cutting out sugary foods a couple of times, because for me doing that from time to time seems to help me moderate (I think for some it can have an opposite effect or no helpful effect, so I avoid assuming that because this helps me that it is something others should do).

Anyway, when I've returned to it, I haven't bothered about eliminating added sugar 100% since I know for me the issue is more sweets and my control with them. I don't add sugar or honey or syrup to stuff, but I don't bother eliminating something like sriracha, where sugar is the second ingredient, but where there's 1 gram (or less) of sugar per tsp, and serving size in reality might be bigger than that, but isn't huge given that it's quite spicy (and I am someone who actually does usually use sauces in their serving size or less). So for those who insist that added sugar and inherent sugar are 100% different and cutting out all added sugar is important for health, I'm curious how you think that leaving in the sriracha is harmful. Or even something like a BBQ sauce (I also don't care for super sweet ones, but they all will have some added sugar). I'm assuming here that one would use it on occasion, in a reasonable serving, not coat it on all foods at all meals (although inherent in the coating it on foods is that you are consuming it with other foods and protein and fat and fiber specifically).

(Aside, the sriracha fits fine in my current low carb macros.)

Sriracha is also known as "Thai ketchup" :)

And speaking of Thai foods, most (if not all) of my savory Thai recipes include sugar as an ingredient. At first I thought this was weird, and eliminated or reduced it, but have since learned that in Thai cuisine sugar is essential for balancing the salt, sour, and spice.

Indeed, the art of Thai cooking is combining ingredients at opposite ends of the flavor spectrum–chile paste and coconut milk, palm sugar and lime juice–and balancing them to create vibrantly flavored food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Too, in studies of the Kuna people who get the majority of their calories from fruit, there are no sugar related diseases and their body mass remains lean.

I had not heard of the Kuna people so i looked them up - they are an indiginous people of Panama and Colombia.

I expect they lived a traditional lifestyle, consuming far more whole foods and far less calories and being far more active than the average person in modern western countries - hence, surprise surprise :o - they tend to be leaner.

I would think that is far more likely explanation than simply their diet is high in fruit.

I spent several months in south Costa Rica, near the Panama border. I ate tons of fruit, and lost weight without intending to. Of course, I was active, and eating no calorie-dense ultra-processed foods.

The Guaymi indigenous people near us did indeed live a traditional, active lifestyle, and none I met were overweight. Presumably they did eat a lot of fruit, as you couldn't swing an iguana without hitting some. Their portions of meat would be considered small by Americans.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For those later in the discussion focused on the evils of added sugar and so-called hidden sugar, I do have a question. Like I said, I gave it up for a while as an experiment (at the time I was trying to avoid non homemade stuff in general, so it was pretty easy). I've returned to cutting out sugary foods a couple of times, because for me doing that from time to time seems to help me moderate (I think for some it can have an opposite effect or no helpful effect, so I avoid assuming that because this helps me that it is something others should do).

Anyway, when I've returned to it, I haven't bothered about eliminating added sugar 100% since I know for me the issue is more sweets and my control with them. I don't add sugar or honey or syrup to stuff, but I don't bother eliminating something like sriracha, where sugar is the second ingredient, but where there's 1 gram (or less) of sugar per tsp, and serving size in reality might be bigger than that, but isn't huge given that it's quite spicy (and I am someone who actually does usually use sauces in their serving size or less). So for those who insist that added sugar and inherent sugar are 100% different and cutting out all added sugar is important for health, I'm curious how you think that leaving in the sriracha is harmful. Or even something like a BBQ sauce (I also don't care for super sweet ones, but they all will have some added sugar). I'm assuming here that one would use it on occasion, in a reasonable serving, not coat it on all foods at all meals (although inherent in the coating it on foods is that you are consuming it with other foods and protein and fat and fiber specifically).

(Aside, the sriracha fits fine in my current low carb macros.)

Sriracha is also known as "Thai ketchup" :)

The history is similar -- they both come from the same precursor sauces, I believe, if you read the wiki on ketchup I posted above. So I am not surprised.
    And speaking of Thai foods, most (if not all) of my savory Thai recipes include sugar as an ingredient. At first I thought this was weird, and eliminated or reduced it, but have since learned that in Thai cuisine sugar is essential for balancing the salt, sour, and spice.

Indeed, the art of Thai cooking is combining ingredients at opposite ends of the flavor spectrum–chile paste and coconut milk, palm sugar and lime juice–and balancing them to create vibrantly flavored food.

Interesting and makes total sense.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have cut out fructose and sucrose entirely for over a month now. I eat meat, cheese, and vegetables. It has definitely helped in my weight loss because I am very rarely hungry and don't have the carb energy roller coaster.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    saheel97 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet. For the past three weeks that I've been dieting, I've cut down a ton because I'm no longer drinking fraps and other junk *kitten* every day and it hasn't felt like that much of a burden. Has anyone else gone sugar-free entirely? What effects have you noticed? The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing.

I won't read through all 5 pages but you'll notice a few things:

1) Almost everything has sugar in it. Sauces are the worst. Ketchup? Yup. Teriyaki sauce? Lots. Bread? You betcha. Reading labels is important.

2) You'll have headaches, cravings and withdrawls like a MF. This is the hardest piece.

The only sources of sugar I have are from sugar alcohols (which aren't absorbed into our bodies anyway) and whatever is in veggies, which are very small amounts depending on the veg.

If you're going to have sugar at least stick to eating it as a fruit (not blended or juiced) because at least you're also getting fiber and vitamins with it. Cutting out Fraps, sodas and all forms of high fructose syrups would be a start.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet. For the past three weeks that I've been dieting, I've cut down a ton because I'm no longer drinking fraps and other junk *kitten* every day and it hasn't felt like that much of a burden. Has anyone else gone sugar-free entirely? What effects have you noticed? The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing.

Eliminating fruit and vegetables seems like a rather bad idea...
    Cutting fruit is a good idea. Fruit is loaded with fructose which is essentially sugar. No real need to eliminate vegetables. I try to keep my carbs below 20grams per day and get all of my carbs from vegetables.

• peckchris3267
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Eliminating fruit and vegetables seems like a rather bad idea...
    Cutting fruit is a good idea. Fruit is loaded with fructose which is essentially sugar. No real need to eliminate vegetables. I try to keep my carbs below 20grams per day and get all of my carbs from vegetables.

So what's wrong with something being "essentially sugar"?
    If you are trying to lose weight any form of sugar is a bad idea. It will give you a crash which will leave you craving more. It also puts you on an energy roller coaster. Sugar also burn off quickly and leave you hungry. Protein and fat keep you full for much longer with a consistent energy level.

• peckchris3267
    Options
    "Weight loss is a huge benefit of ketogenic diets due to lowered insulin levels and the body’s ability to burn stored fat. I’ve personally found that the classic ketogenic diet is quite possibly the best diet for weight loss, especially considering how quickly it usually works.

Following a ketogenic diet may also help prevent and even kill cancer cells. There are several medical studies — such as two conducted by the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center for the University of Iowa, and the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, for example— that show the ketogenic diet is an effective treatment for cancer and other serious health problems.

A modified ketogenic diet (what most people think of as a moderately low-carb diet) can be beneficial for most relatively healthy adults who are at an increased risk for metabolic syndrome, including those struggling with losing weight or controlling levels of blood sugar (glucose). Studies show that high-fat diets like the ketogenic diet also do not typically raise cholesterol and may actually reduce cardiovascular disease risk factors, especially in those who are obese.

Additionally ketogenic diets have been used to treat and even help reverse cognitive impairments, including Alzheimer’s symptoms."