Cutting Sugar From my Diet entirely

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Weight loss is a huge benefit of ketogenic diets due to lowered insulin levels and the body’s ability to burn stored fat. I’ve personally found that the classic ketogenic diet is quite possibly the best diet for weight loss, especially considering how quickly it usually works.

Following a ketogenic diet may also help prevent and even kill cancer cells. There are several medical studies — such as two conducted by the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center for the University of Iowa, and the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, for example— that show the ketogenic diet is an effective treatment for cancer and other serious health problems.

A modified ketogenic diet (what most people think of as a moderately low-carb diet) can be beneficial for most relatively healthy adults who are at an increased risk for metabolic syndrome, including those struggling with losing weight or controlling levels of blood sugar (glucose). Studies show that high-fat diets like the ketogenic diet also do not typically raise cholesterol and may actually reduce cardiovascular disease risk factors, especially in those who are obese.

Additionally ketogenic diets have been used to treat and even help reverse cognitive impairments, including Alzheimer’s symptoms."

And???

I have none of the above issues...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    "Weight loss is a huge benefit of ketogenic diets due to lowered insulin levels and the body’s ability to burn stored fat. I’ve personally found that the classic ketogenic diet is quite possibly the best diet for weight loss, especially considering how quickly it usually works.

Following a ketogenic diet may also help prevent and even kill cancer cells. There are several medical studies — such as two conducted by the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center for the University of Iowa, and the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, for example— that show the ketogenic diet is an effective treatment for cancer and other serious health problems.

A modified ketogenic diet (what most people think of as a moderately low-carb diet) can be beneficial for most relatively healthy adults who are at an increased risk for metabolic syndrome, including those struggling with losing weight or controlling levels of blood sugar (glucose). Studies show that high-fat diets like the ketogenic diet also do not typically raise cholesterol and may actually reduce cardiovascular disease risk factors, especially in those who are obese.

Additionally ketogenic diets have been used to treat and even help reverse cognitive impairments, including Alzheimer’s symptoms."
    Who are you quoting? And this is just a personal approach. It DOESN'T state nor evidence that if one had a diet with moderate sugar amounts in them, that they would be ineffective for weight loss.
    Still comes down to CICO. And always will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

He's quoting: https://draxe.com/truth-about-the-controversial-ketogenic-diet/
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There are enough sugar calories in fruit to make it potentially harder for those on lower calorie diets to meet desired macros, in which case someone not into bro-science might also opt to limit it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    There are enough sugar calories in fruit to make it potentially harder for those on lower calorie diets to meet desired macros, in which case someone not into bro-science might also opt to limit it.
    True, but that's if macros really matter to that person. Obviously someone on keto isn't that concerned about meeting carb macros.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Depends on macros, depends on whether you prefer getting carbs from starches, fruit, or some combination.

I'm not at all saying that anyone should eat fruit if they don't want to, but objecting to the claim that it's BETTER in general to cut it entirely out (OP did not say that, of course, but another poster has).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Depends on macros, depends on whether you prefer getting carbs from starches, fruit, or some combination.

I'm not at all saying that anyone should eat fruit if they don't want to, but objecting to the claim that it's BETTER in general to cut it entirely out (OP did not say that, of course, but another poster has).

True, but that's if macros really matter to that person. Obviously someone on keto isn't that concerned about meeting carb macros.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I was referring to it possibly crowding out protein and/or fat on e.g. a sub-1300 calorie day.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    (There have been a few times I wanted a banana in the evening, and opted for a protein shake or yogurt instead after looking at my food diary).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (There have been a few times I wanted a banana in the evening, and opted for a protein shake or yogurt instead after looking at my food diary).

I understand this as a personal reason for choosing something other than a high cal fruit (some strawberries would take up fewer cals) at a particular time, sure. I did 1250 when first losing, and currently have no room for fruit because I'm trying lower carb than usual (I will fit in fruit when its back in season, though, because its worth it to me, but I will limit it some, sure). However, if one prefers fruit to starches, that's a good way to get in fruit even at a lower calorie level (it's one thing I used to do). My personal meal template (non very low carb version) is protein, vegetables, starch, add fat for cooking and accent. BUT, I'd use fruit interchangeably with the starch course -- feel like pork chops, apples, onions, and brussels sprouts for dinner? The apple fits as easily as rice or a potato would!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Although in fairness, that probably happens because I DO opt for that glass of Pino/etc while dancing beforehand. ;)
  • ritzvin
    Options
    My yogurt & oat batches always have fruit and /or jam (along with added protein powder).
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I was referring to it possibly crowding out protein and/or fat on e.g. a sub-1300 calorie day.

But it doesn't necessarily do that (depending on overall macro goals). I could cut out a few slices of bread and have a cup of strawberries and a medium apple instead. I could even dip that apple in peanut butter and have protein as well :) And if I chose 2 eggs for breakfast with 1 slice of toast and butter, and a glass of 1% milk (~400 calories). Greek yogurt, apple, 1TB peanut butter, 1 cup strawberries for lunch (~350) and grilled chicken covered in salsa and a bit of mozzerella, steamed broccoli, and 1/2 cup rice for dinner (~500 calories, depending on size of chicken) I'm hitting 1250 calories and still meeting protein and fat needs. Remember, someone small enough to need a 1200 calorie diet doesn't necessarily need as much protein as someone eating 2000 calories.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Actually, for fun, I input that into an old day in my food diary. Here is the result:

Breakfast Calories
    kcal
    Carbs
    g
    Fat
    g
    Protein
    g
    Fiber
    g
    Sodium
    mg
    Price First - 1% Low-fat Milk, 1 cup 110 13 3 8 0 130
    Butter - Salted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high) 36 0 4 0 0 29
    Great Value - Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice 70 13 1 3 2 150
    Egg - Egg, 2 large 143 1 10 13 0 142
    Add Food Quick Tools 359 27 18 24 2 451
    Morning Snack
    Add Food Quick Tools
    Lunch
    Chobani - Strawberry Banana (on Bottom), 1 container (5.3 oz) 150 18 3 11 0 50
    Apple - Gala Dl - Gala, 100 g 71 16 0 0 3 1
    Strawberries, raw, 1 cup, halves 49 12 0 1 3 2
    Kroger Value - Creamy Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp 90 4 8 4 1 75
    Add Food Quick Tools 360 50 11 16 7 128
    Afternoon Snack
    Add Food Quick Tools
    Dinner
    Kroger - Chicken Breast Cutlets, 4 oz 110 0 3 22 0 230
    salsa - salsa, 4 tablespoon 30 6 0 2 0 260
    Broccoli - Cooked, Steamed, 1 cup 55 11 0 4 5 11
    Kroger - Mozzarella Shredded Cheese, 0.25 cup 80 1 5 8 0 170
    Dinner - Rice, White, Steamed, 0.5 Cup (cooked) 103 23 0 2 0 25
    Add Food Quick Tools 378 41 8 38 5 696
    Miscellaneous
    Add Food Quick Tools

Totals 1,097 118 37 78 14 1,275
    Your Daily Goal 1,280 160 43 64 25 2,300
    Remaining 183 42 6 -14 11 1,025
    Calories
    kcal
    Carbs
    g
    Fat
    g
    Protein
    g
    Fiber
    g
    Sodium
    mg

I didn't format the copy/past well, but I hope you can see that this day has just under 1100 calories and still provides 78g of protein. So this hypothetical person could add in a couple of carrots and maybe some tuna at lunch (or elsewhere, I don't care) and get even more protein as well as the full 3 servings of vegetables. Fruit sugars/carbs don't necessarily "displace" anything. (In fact, this is better than my usual diet, which has more starches like bread or cereal, and not always this much fruit).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But it doesn't necessarily do that (depending on overall macro goals). I could cut out a few slices of bread and have a cup of strawberries and a medium apple instead. I could even dip that apple in peanut butter and have protein as well :) And if I chose 2 eggs for breakfast with 1 slice of toast and butter, and a glass of 1% milk (~400 calories). Greek yogurt, apple, 1TB peanut butter, 1 cup strawberries for lunch (~350) and grilled chicken covered in salsa and a bit of mozzerella, steamed broccoli, and 1/2 cup rice for dinner (~500 calories, depending on size of chicken) I'm hitting 1250 calories and still meeting protein and fat needs. Remember, someone small enough to need a 1200 calorie diet doesn't necessarily need as much protein as someone eating 2000 calories.

Ah. Of course. I didn't mention that the default protein macro on MFP is significantly lower than what is typically recommended, especially if you lift.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    saheel97 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet. For the past three weeks that I've been dieting, I've cut down a ton because I'm no longer drinking fraps and other junk *kitten* every day and it hasn't felt like that much of a burden. Has anyone else gone sugar-free entirely? What effects have you noticed? The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing.

Eliminating fruit and vegetables seems like a rather bad idea...
    Cutting fruit is a good idea. Fruit is loaded with fructose which is essentially sugar. No real need to eliminate vegetables. I try to keep my carbs below 20grams per day and get all of my carbs from vegetables.

So what's wrong with something being "essentially sugar"?
    If you are trying to lose weight any form of sugar is a bad idea. It will give you a crash which will leave you craving more. It also puts you on an energy roller coaster. Sugar also burn off quickly and leave you hungry. Protein and fat keep you full for much longer with a consistent energy level.

And yet I lost weight easily and quickly while still eating about 2 pieces of fruit a day ... plus things like nutalla and honey on toast.