How is it so easy for so many people to eat less?

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's NOT easy, but it's necessary
  • ImNancyLynn
    ImNancyLynn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    WOW, so much great advice! WE have all struggled with weight or we wouldn't be here! I choose to not get caught up in the minutia of it all. Surely someday I will pay closer attention to the macros I imagine but not today! Today I am logging all my foods.

I have realized that will power has zero to do with this, its all about (for me) modifying poor eating behaviors with a good ones. The most important modification I made was not eating after I close out my diary. Night time munching, snacking and noshing were the bane of my existence. In order to modify that I had to leave the vicinity where the food was and the thing that was triggering this behavior. Kitchen and mindless TV watching! Brush my teeth,find projects, play with my dogs, coloring is a great distraction from food! Yeah I felt hungry! Really hungry sometimes but after a while i stopped feeling that way, i had eaten enough and I wasn't hungry anymore! I still snack, but I plan it.

I stopped logging for while and guess what I gained 13 lbs! so Im logging again, it keeps me accountable! I have so much great support from other MFP members. Im down 5 and I hope to get to my goal some day, I have been at it for over two years now. Its not a race, there is no finish line. Il be here plugging away for a long long time!!!
    Best of luck to you, You have it in you! I just know you can do it!
  • Jmatievich
    Jmatievich Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Educate yourself on quality food. You won't be hungry on fewer calories if you're getting plenty of fiber. You're definitely getting plenty of iron. Be sure to drink lots of water. Fill up on low calorie, high fiber veggies. Beans(legumes) are a great source of fiber and protein. Do you have plenty to keep you busy that does not involve food? Volunteering is great. You can do this!
  • IzzyTrejo_
    IzzyTrejo_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need help. I'm starting to think that I will never be able to lose weight. I've been trying to lose about three years now but it's not working. I lose a pound and quickly gain it back. I can't seem to stick to eating less, I will do it for one or two days at a time (three for the most) and then I get hungry and eat too much. I started off wanting to lose 25 pounds three years ago and since then I have gained another 30 pounds. I am 5'9" and currently 215 pounds and need to get to 160.

I think my maintenance is about 2250 but I normally eat about 2500 so that is what my body is used to. I try reducing to between 1750 and 2000 and to exercise consistently. I'll make it a few days and then feel crazy hungry and overeat again. I tried IF 16:8 and that helped a lot but again, hard to stick to.

On average I eat probably 100 to 120 grams of protein, maybe 100 grams of fat and about 300 grams of carbs. I know it's a lot. I normally exercise about twice a week and with this I gain about a pound a month.

I eat healthy foods everyday - fruit and vegetables, a variety of meat (not processed), beans, oatmeal etc but I eat a lot of unhealthy, high calorie foods too.

Anyone else experienced this and overcame it? I would really appreciate and welcome all thoughts and advice. Thanks for reading.[/quoute/]

I think instead of eating less you should eat more smart. According do your article you said fruits veggies meats etc. Which is good but you might want to start quantitizing them. Or maybe trying a different diet that isn't "boring". And always have faith keep trying and make it a commitment not a on off thing. Anyways hoped this helped and don't forget to have those gains. ✌
  • tenmyoujis
    tenmyoujis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it takes time. losing weight is just a numbers game. your body will get used to it and you won't be as hungry within a couple weeks.

i'm full all the time honestly. some days i struggle to eat all my calories. i'm 5'0, 18 years old, 137 lbs (started at 150), and my TDEE/maintenance is about 2050 on training days (or about 1800 on non-training days depending on my activity level). i lift weights for about 45 minutes 4x a week (2 days legs + core, 2 days arms + back) and do cardio 5x a week (20 minutes on lifting days, 60 minutes on cardio day). i eat 1500 calories on training days and 1200-1300 calories on non-training days. i lose about 1lb a week but i'm losing inches and body fat % faster (i've lost 4 inches off my waist and 9% body fat) because i'm lifting weights and not just doing cardio.

here's some advice, step by step:

1) whether or not your body is used to it, if you're eating above your maintenance, you're going to gain weight. that's the long and short of it. whether you're hungry or full, if you consume more calories than you burn, you're going to gain weight. start by eating at your maintenance instead of above it. it's a small difference but it will stop you from gaining weight.
    2) drink more water. you're probably consuming a lot of sodium which makes you retain water, which makes you gain weight. drink at LEAST 2 liters of water every day. aim for 2.5 or 3. don't drink your calories either. if you really can't go without soda or something, have a 0 calorie option. but you have to cut these down/out eventually because the processed junk it puts in your body doesn't help you at all. but it's still better than a 200 calorie can of coke.
    3) you're not going to want to hear this but girl, you need to eat way less carbs. i know this is the worst part because i am the carb QUEEN but it's possible. i currently split my macros 40-45% carbs, 30% fat, and 25-30% protein. this will vary based on your body type which i'll address next. MFP makes tracking this really easy. NOT ALL CALORIES ARE CREATED EQUAL. 200 calories of lean chicken is going to be way different for your body (and be way more filling) than 200 calories of doritos.
    4) this is a bit advanced but it helps a ton: get educated - know your body type. i'm not talking hourglass, pear, etc. i'm talking endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph. there are a lot of videos on youtube and quizzes online to help you determine your body type. this will help you understand your body and its natural processes. the more you know about your body, the easier it will be to shape and change it. for example, i'm a mesomorph. i gain/lose fat easily but also gain/lose muscle easily. my macro split should be pretty even (which is what i listed above) and i should lift weights in addition to cardio so i can maintain my muscle while i burn fat. this will be different based on your body type. for instance, if you're an endomorph, you need to be eating a lot less carbs. so on and so forth
    5) it all comes back to calories in, calories out. as i said before, you will NOT lose weight by eating above your maintenance whether or not it's what you're used to. you will NOT lose weight by eating at your maintenance. the only way you will lose weight, unfortunately, is by eating below your maintenance - aka being on a calorie deficit. to lose approximately 1lb a week, you need to eat 500 calories below your maintenance. spend one week at 2250 per day. then one week at 2000 per day. then 1750 per day. if you want a higher maintenance, implement more exercise. you have two choices: eat less or move more. not both.
    6) at the end of the day, it just comes down to your willpower. portion control. enjoying calorie-dense foods in moderation. eating based on what your body needs for fuel, not what your mind wants for cravings. only eat when you're hungry, not when you're bored or emotional. i eat chips and pizza all the time - in small amounts, and balanced with other meals. don't completely cut out everything you love, you'll be miserable and binge. have a cheat meal twice a week, it will keep you sane. my cravings went away after a couple weeks, and i'm no longer interested in my former favourite (fatty) foods. remember, it's a lifestyle, not a diet.

you can do this, but only if you let yourself. sorry this post is so long, but i've been in your shoes. you will get used to eating less, and your body will thank you for fueling it properly. it's mind over matter. remember, if it was easy, everyone would be stick skinny. good luck, much love!
  • pkfw88
    pkfw88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    pkfw88 wrote: »
    I greatly dislike when people say it's all mental. That is one of the most frustrating things to hear. Yeah it's mental but it's not simple, and you are basically powerless when all your body and mind are telling you to do is eat. I am/was a slave to food, I think about it all day and it takes all the willpower in me to do what's healthy for my body, it's painful. The only thing that has truly helped me is being able to change that addiction by taking medication. I started taking wellbutrin for depression and finally understood what it felt like to eat like a normal person and not obsess over food, and it was a glorious feeling! A feeling that also made me feel like I have no control over my thoughts, sadness, happiness, hunger, energy levels. It is good and bad, because it won't last forever so I have to figure out how to make healthy habits while I have the willpower so once that goes away I have a safety net. Wellbutrin started working less and less for the hunger, so I started taking contrave which is a prescribed weight loss drug that has Wellbutrin in it. For now I'm riding the wave and feeling like I have this under control, but I'm just waiting for the day that it will stop working and I will fall down again.

For me, I just mentally hit the point where I decided I am not going to let my body/cravings/stomach rule the land anymore. I dont care how bad the craving gets and how hungry I feel. I am going to rule this body once again. It sucked at first, but has been getting easier as I go.

Yeah everyone is different, I shouldn't generalize just because of my own experience. Its hard to have that willpower, that's awesome that you have it!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    300 carbs is too many, no wonder you're always hungry. Up your protein and lower your carb intake. I find drinking hot water (either as tea or just plain) also helps to suppress hunger pain if needed.

no they aren't - I take in 300+ carbs a day, down 12lbs and satiated - carbs don't make everyone hungry
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Simple, maybe, but not easy. Habit change is hard.

I suggest giving yourself weekly goals that are not weight related. Like skipping one evening snack a day for seven days. Once that becomes a habit, add another. Through it all log your food on MFP.

This will get you past the three day stall. Knowing that you have a weekly review coming up will help. It might also help to have an accountability partner. Get them to ask how well you did sticking to your goal.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes a bit for your body to get used to. A few tricks that help me:

- PLAN your days ahead of time. I'll usually plan what I'm eating for a whole day, the night before. That way lunch is already packed, so I won't be tempted to go to Wendy's. Similarly, if I know I am going to be hanging out with friends on a Saturday night (ie. pizza and drinks) I will be really careful about what I eat the rest of that day. Healthy, low calorie breakfast. Eat a salad before going out with friends, so you aren't AS hungry and maybe only eat one slice of pizza compared to three.

- Keep healthy snacks nearby at all times. In your car, in your desk, in your fridge. I really like those 50-cal low fat string cheese sticks, a cup of yogurt, or a granola bar. An apple or carrots & hummus make good, quick snacks too. ALLOW yourself these small snacks throughout the day - otherwise you will be starving and end up eating more at meal time, or you'll go buy a bag of chips.

- LIMIT salt & sugar. Both of these are crazy addictive; they keep you wanting more and just make you more hungry.

- Drink more WATER. Sometimes when you feel hungry, you are really just thirsty.

- Think about WHY you are eating. Is it because you are bored? Stressed? Hungry? If you are eating for hunger, then think about this - those "empty" calories from unhealthy foods really won't help your hunger! They won't give you any nutrients - your body knows this and you'll be left wanting more!

- Finally, losing weight and eating less is not "easy" for anyone. It's HARD WORK. Some days, it downright sucks ... but it IS possible and it IS worth it. Make small changes, and stick with it. Just like your body got used to eating lots of unhealthy calories, it will get used to eating healthier with time. Those cravings do ease up with time, especially if you stick with it, it will become easier and easier to WANT healthy food & go to the gym.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I just happened to think of a point from The Beck Diet Solution (cognitive behavioral therapy for weight loss, not a "diet" per se) that I thought was helpful. Don't stand around & graze if you normally have the habit of doing so. Sit down with *all* the food you plan on eating at that meal/snack in front of you and don't multi-task while you eat (mindfulness). That way your brain can appreciate how much you are eating and be satisfied as well as your stomach.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I just happened to think of a point from The Beck Diet Solution (cognitive behavioral therapy for weight loss, not a "diet" per se) that I thought was helpful. Don't stand around & graze if you normally have the habit of doing so. Sit down with *all* the food you plan on eating at that meal/snack in front of you and don't multi-task while you eat (mindfulness). That way your brain can appreciate how much you are eating and be satisfied as well as your stomach.

Very good point! I am guilty of standing in my kitchen eating in front of the laptop while I browse through MFP. Then I can't really remember what I just ate or even whether I enjoyed it.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Its not easy at all. I've lost 150+ lbs over the course of years and it never really gets easy.

The key is to find what works for you. Meal timing, calories, food combos you enjoy, etc.

For ME personally, I LOVE FEELING STUFFED. I do so much better eating 2-3 BIG meals and feeling full until my next meal then I ever did eating 6 smaller meals. For others feeling not full and not hungry might work best.

I also do a high volume way of eating, lots of veggies to bulk out a meal and help feel full.

I could easily do -1000 calories, and no treats ever and lose 2 lbs a week just fine for a few months. But that will lead to more months of stalling and binging. So I'd rather -500 calories, do IF, eat pizza because its yum here and there and enjoy life while I'm losing at a steady 1 pound weight loss. "Diet breaks" also help. For every 3-4 months I am at a calorie deficit, I have 2-4 weeks where I eat at mat cals. It might take longer but it helps so much. This is all stuff I have learned over the years of trail and error in what works for ME.

At the end of the day honestly its finding what works for you.