Low carb (keto or otherwise) for June!

Options

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Great numbers @Kimberlyrobinson87 !

@GorillaNJ let us know how those recipes pan out. I've never cooked Swiss chard or kohlrabi either. Also, your carb count it crazy low, did you just eat meat and fat? I have a hard time staying around 30 total, any tips on getting that number lower?

Yesterday my oldest son had a lacrosse game so I did not have much time after work to eat, so i just had leftover BBQ chicken and by time I was home from the game it was too late for dinner, so I just had some cheese with a drink as i watched TV.

Normally my carb count has been closer to 30 because I like to have a big salad for lunch and some sort of salad or veggies with dinner. One thing I find that is great to keep the carb count low but still have good filling food is avocado, I can just sit at my desk and eat it with a spoon, a whole avocado is only 2-3 net carbs.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Welcome @vixiwayhey!
  • waterliliesss
    waterliliesss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can I join?
  • waterliliesss
    Options
    It's 2pm and I'm already feeling the keto flue after just one day. But I will hang in there. Starting weight : 162 pounds
  • megdnoorman
    edited June 2017
    Options
    GorillaNJ wrote: »

Normally my carb count has been closer to 30 because I like to have a big salad for lunch and some sort of salad or veggies with dinner. One thing I find that is great to keep the carb count low but still have good filling food is avocado, I can just sit at my desk and eat it with a spoon, a whole avocado is only 2-3 net carbs.

I normally try to include avocado in my daily diet as well, but lately our grocery store has had really poor quality avocados and the prices are really high. :(

I think my downfall is fruit. So much good fresh fruit in the store right now, and my husband and son aren't keto/low carb (my husband is moderately low carb, mainly because of the food I allow in the house lol) so we normally have a fair amount of fruit in the house. I need to cut my fruit intake and up my veggies.
  • sarasibley77
    sarasibley77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I just started the Keto diet this week based on a recommendation from my friend who has dropped 25lbs and kept it off (she didn't have much to lose in the first place). I'm trying to stick to 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs which is definitely easier said than done!

However, I'm down 3 lbs in just a week. It's sort of hard to believe that I'm eating things that taste good and make me full yet losing weight. I'm used to feeling hungry or deprived on other diets and believe me I've tried them ALL!

Current Weight: 155
    Goal Weight: 135
    ***But more importantly trying to kick all Type II Diabetes meds and stay a cancer survivor!

Glad to have this group for support! Thanks for starting it :)
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @waterliliesss you can absolutely join!

As for the keto flu, up your sodium intake. During ketosis you need a lot of sodium (especially initially). You are likely low on electrolytes. Drinking broths, gatorades (look for the sugar-free ones and check the carbs), salting your food, and even adding a supplement if needed, are important parts of this WOE.

Magnesium is also really important, look into foods high in magnesium (dark chocolate - I get the 100% cocoa and melt it into my coffee, some types of fish, leafy greens, etc) and consider taking a supplement if that doesn't help.

Check out the stickies on this board: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There is a ton of great info on avoiding and getting out of keto flu.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    I'm in! I just started the Keto diet this week based on a recommendation from my friend who has dropped 25lbs and kept it off (she didn't have much to lose in the first place). I'm trying to stick to 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs which is definitely easier said than done!

However, I'm down 3 lbs in just a week. It's sort of hard to believe that I'm eating things that taste good and make me full yet losing weight. I'm used to feeling hungry or deprived on other diets and believe me I've tried them ALL!

Current Weight: 155
    Goal Weight: 135
    ***But more importantly trying to kick all Type II Diabetes meds and stay a cancer survivor!

Glad to have this group for support! Thanks for starting it :)

Welcome!

This diet really does help with satiation for those of us that like butter on our veggies, dressing on our salads, and bacon ;) (who doesn't, right?)
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hello! I just started keto too! :) 6/1: total carbs of 29 (not sure on net carbs, still figuring this all out)

My favorite go to snacks: peanut butter, string cheese, and pickles. Lol. I made some homemade guacamole last night and am going to pair it with hard boiled eggs and salami (roll the guac up in salami.. mm mmm). I have personally upped my calories a bit to kind of restart my metabolism because I had plateaued for so long, that way I have something to work down from.

I started at about 278-280 and worked my way down to my CW of 205, which is where I've plateaued and thus decided to give keto a try after listening to two of my co-workers go on and on about it. Lol.

Oh, and my overall goal is to get to onederland before July, then I want to get down to at least 185 by November 4th (my 30th birthday) and then to the end goal which I think will be about 145.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

I normally try to include avocado in my daily diet as well, but lately our grocery store has had really poor quality avocados and the prices are really high. :(

I think my downfall is fruit. So much good fresh fruit in the store right now, and my husband and son aren't keto/low carb (my husband is moderately low carb, mainly because of the food I allow in the house lol) so we normally have a fair amount of fruit in the house. I need to cut my fruit intake and up my veggies.

Ohhhh... Fruit is really a killer, I just avoid it. Although some really good looking strawberries came in my crop share and the little guy was raving about them this morning, so I might break down have one.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Hello! I just started keto too! :) 6/1: total carbs of 29 (not sure on net carbs, still figuring this all out)

My favorite go to snacks: peanut butter, string cheese, and pickles. Lol. I made some homemade guacamole last night and am going to pair it with hard boiled eggs and salami (roll the guac up in salami.. mm mmm). I have personally upped my calories a bit to kind of restart my metabolism because I had plateaued for so long, that way I have something to work down from.

I started at about 278-280 and worked my way down to my CW of 205, which is where I've plateaued and thus decided to give keto a try after listening to two of my co-workers go on and on about it. Lol.

Oh, and my overall goal is to get to onederland before July, then I want to get down to at least 185 by November 4th (my 30th birthday) and then to the end goal which I think will be about 145.

Welcome!

In regards to net carbs, what that means is total carbs minus fiber (since we don't retain fiber, it's used to help remove waste from our system). You can find your fiber amount on your "nutrients" page under "nutrition"in your diary.

Then you just subtract grams of fiber from total grams of carbs :)

What is your cal goal? Make sure you are still adhering to the good ol' calories in / calories out theory.

Good luck :)
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @GorillaNJ strawberries are my favorite! We also have some really good cherries right now, and pineapple is close to being in season… So hard.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    swiss chard and Kohlrabi, both which seem to be really low carb and I have basically no idea how to cook. I did find a couple recipes on line, if they come out better than edible I will let you all know.

I made a fabulous "papaya salad", replacing the papaya with kohlrabi.

Use kohlrabi like you would a broccoli-slaw salad.

Saute swiss chard with garlic and bacon, like you would with roast brussel sprouts.

Amanda
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    wrote:
    Welcome!

In regards to net carbs, what that means is total carbs minus fiber (since we don't retain fiber, it's used to help remove waste from our system). You can find your fiber amount on your "nutrients" page under "nutrition"in your diary.

Then you just subtract grams of fiber from total grams of carbs :)

What is your cal goal? Make sure you are still adhering to the good ol' calories in / calories out theory.

Good luck :)

Oh, I knew the total carb - fiber = net carbs but I never thought to go look at the fiber count on mfp, I was just like "if I have 30 total carbs I'm assuming my net carbs are less and if not I'm still good with 30" but it would be so nice to know exactly my net carbs, THANK YOU! :)

My calorie goal is about 1700-1800 right now (not basing off mfp) and my cardio workouts usually are 500-600 calorie burns, lifting is less but longer lasting so I only allot myself a 50 calorie burn when I lift. I've also started incorporating hills into my cardio routine so those days are 600-700 calorie burns.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    53 F | 5' 9" | SW 205 | CW 188 | GW 140 | SD 05/08/17

Goals for June:
    - Stay under 20 g carbs and 1200 cal / day
    - Maintain healthy BG levels
    - Lose another 10 lbs
    - Return to gym after being off last month with an injury
  • waterliliesss
    Options
    fvxpt95o7abp.png
  • RehmeldR
    RehmeldR Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try low carb! My weight is 174. Goal weight : 150 to start! Then I'll make it another 20 down.
    I started walking for 30 min.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @ThatLadyFromMN you're welcome :) it looks like you have a good plan in place!

@epona_mus welcome to the challenge!

@waterliliesss great job! That's a good fiber count, what are you eating for fiber?

@RehmeldR welcome to the challenge!
  • RehmeldR
    RehmeldR Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Does anyone carb cycle?
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    RehmeldR wrote: »
    Does anyone carb cycle?

Not purposely lol. I definitely eat higher carbs most weekends, but not in a "planned" sort of way, and I always aim to be below 50.

I tried carb cycling in the past and it didn't work for me because I kept having energy decrease whenever I would go into ketosis (whereas if I just stay in ketosis I am fine). It also brought back my sugar cravings so it was harder for me to stay on track.

I've heard it works well for some people.