Help! Bridesmaid dress doesn't fit. 2 weeks to go..

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LoMonroe87 wrote: »
    Getting it taken out isn't an option right now. Already had it taken in from losing weight prior and now it's too tight. The zipper does go up but barely and feel like if I move at all it may rip. I have 2 weeks to go. I hate crash type diets but any advice or similar stories??

Pay for alterations, or crash diet for a fortnight.. those are your options.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    With 2 weeks still to go, why isn't getting it taken out an option?
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    buy spanx
  • ljpje
    ljpje Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to start doing OMAD immediately, go low carb or keto while doing OMAD, and drink only water, mineral water, unsweetened tea, or black coffee throughout the day. Nothing with artificial sweeteners. Don't restrict calories during your one meal. I believe if you do this you will fit comfortably into your dress. Good luck.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Only 20g of carbs a day for the next 2 weeks. It might fit.
    Don't get excited about the loss. You'll gain it all back as soon as you eat carbs again.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've been doing a -1000 calorie deficit since March, but not following any particular diet other than exercising daily and trying to eat good fats (avocado, black beans, walnuts, etc) and good carbs (fiberous fruits, whole grains) and plenty of lean protein. And that's a "2lb per week" diet. If you're not already dieting and exercising, it's reasonable that you could lose 4 lbs from a healthy, calorie-deficit with exercise. And like others said...if you just started, you may actually lose more like 5 or 6 pounds from initial water-loss.

I don't see why you'd need a crash/temporary diet at all because for me...every 5 lbs is about one clothing size in odds (juniors) or evens (ie: if you're a Size 10 ...you'd be more like a Size 8 or Size 11 more like Size 9). And I very much agree on the shapewear. Get a strong latex waist trainer and just throw it on for the event and that will shave a few inches off, too.

I say do a normal, healthy diet, exercise daily (which makes the -1000 deficit easy to maintain, and add the shapewear and you'll probably fit the dress unless it's wayyyy too small (Like a Size 6 and you're currently a 10). A crash diet will only make you gain back all of it and likely screw up your body for awhile afterward. It's not worth it.

Shapewear and corsets are a fabulous fast fix with no long term damage. A long latex trainer will cover the most torso area to ensure abdomen and upper back are as cinched as possible. Try "Ann Chery - Style 2021" available lots of places (I have this one):

https://www.annchery.com.co/products/faja-colombiana-ann-chery-2021-clasica-3-hooks-women-latex-waist-trainer-cincher?variant=1934323331

For a similar one that has a "vest" for the upper back/back Fat, try this one:

Https://www.angelcurves.com/products/waist-training-vest

I have a steel-boned real corset, as well but I don't recommend them under fitted clothes and you have to break them in slowly for weeks. Plus they're expensive if they're quality.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Just wear it during the service, then change into something that fits better for the reception.

It's just a wedding. I got married for $100 to someone I'd known for 2 months on a holiday, and been married 25 years and counting. It's just one day, and no-one but you will remember what you wore to the reception.

The bride may frown on her changing after the ceremony. I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding and we had these long, high-necked sheath dresses with really light weight fabric - I felt like I was wearing a long slip and felt really uncomfortable in it. I asked her if I could change out of it for the reception, and it was a big NO. Bridesmaids usually don't change out of their dresses. You may not have cared, but plenty of people do, and pictures last forever.
  • baconbutt31
    baconbutt31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ljpje wrote: »
    My suggestion is to start doing OMAD immediately, go low carb or keto while doing OMAD, and drink only water, mineral water, unsweetened tea, or black coffee throughout the day. Nothing with artificial sweeteners. Don't restrict calories during your one meal. I believe if you do this you will fit comfortably into your dress. Good luck.

I don't think that's a great idea. It's pretty easy to go over calorie goals if you've been deprived. Especially if you can justify it as "your one meal of the day".
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Spanx
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    every 5lbs down is not a clothing size for everyone. I wear the same size I do now whether Im 10lbs more or less. for some it takes 30+ lbs to lose a size everyone is different

That's why I said "for me". But the OP didn't say what her weight/size was, so I can only go by my starting at 172lbs in March and being 151lbs now. So if I started as a Size 12 and can now wear a Size 8 loose....I'm just averaging the math. I am nearly 5'7, though so her height is as mystery, too.

She did say the dress fits and zips up...but is uncomfortable/tight. So even 3 lbs plus some shapewear should solve the problem to get by for the day. A crash diet seems needlessly extreme.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    every 5lbs down is not a clothing size for everyone. I wear the same size I do now whether Im 10lbs more or less. for some it takes 30+ lbs to lose a size everyone is different

That's why I said "for me". But the OP didn't say what her weight/size was, so I can only go by my starting at 172lbs in March and being 151lbs now. So if I started as a Size 12 and can now wear a Size 8 loose....I'm just averaging the math. I am nearly 5'7, though so her height is as mystery, too.

She did say the dress fits and zips up...but is uncomfortable/tight. So even 3 lbs plus some shapewear should solve the problem to get by for the day. A crash diet seems needlessly extreme.

I agree with you on the crash diet thing.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is shapewear that is stronger than Spanx, not sexy but it can cinch in inches. I would do low carb, drink lots of water, and maybe one of those wraps (NO it isn't permanent it is totally temporary but if it helps at all who cares).

How far are you honestly/realistic from this fitting?
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Not the answer you want.... but just have it taken out. The chances of you doing low carb for two straight weeks with preparations, bachelorette parties, and the rehearsal dinner are slim. I'm not being negative .. I just know personally I have an issue with upcoming events and just overall sabotage. If you think you can pull it off with shapewear and sticking to your calories, go for it! There will be nothing worse than the day of and you feel super uncomfortable and self conscious.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a good dressmaker could insert a panel of similar material?
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Are you about to start your period? It's possible that you're bloated and will see modest losses after you're done. Everyone else has given the best advise possible, but I still don't think two weeks is enough time to go from "so tight it may rip" to "I'm able to enjoy myself and eat my meal and dance"...I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but you should seriously consider getting it altered, or even purchasing a new dress that fits. It's such a yucky feeling to be self-conscious and having to appear in so many photos with a large group of people.

Story time: My wedding dress didn't fit but not because of weight. It was a 'seconds' that I got for a tremendous discount, because the lining was sewn in crooked/against the bias. Looked wonderful while standing still but as soon as I moved the lining would shift from the top layer of chiffon and everything bunched/fell down (it was strapless). Unfortunately, I let my frugal nature win and spent my wedding day incredibly uncomfortable and self-conscious. Don't make my same mistake!