Almost at my goal, not happy with the results.

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I set my original goal to my favourite adult weight, when I got there I realised my favourite and best weight in my 20's didn't apply any more in my 50's.

So over an extended period of time I lost a few more pounds in a series of steps of maintenance and weight loss.
    Just periodically reassessed myself honestly based on:
    Would I perform better, look better, be healthier at this weight or should I lose a few more pounds?

You may find the same as me that the last few pounds makes a relatively large difference in appearance compared to the earlier weight loss where progress seems imperceptible.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about adjusting your macros? (More healthy fats and protein with less simple sugars and carbs while maintaining your calorie deficit?)

If your skin is flabby you are young enough that you might be able to help it "shrink back" as long as you are feeding it with the proper nutrients.

Your muscles and skin need good fat and protein to maintain elasticity.

Here is a great article about "clean eating" from an athlete's point of view and examples of how he incorporates healthy fats and protein into his daily diet.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/mens-health/fueling-modern-athlete/

Here's a great article about the role of healthy fats:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/know-your-fats-introduction/
    http://mypureradiance.com/eat-fat-for-younger-skin/

Here's an article about the role of collagen and protein and skin / muscle / organ health.

https://draxe.com/what-is-collagen/

(No promises, but, you'll look and feel better anyway!)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    MZC386 wrote: »
    I was 315ish (years ago) at my heaviest, down to 247 with a goal of 240. How I pictured myself at 240 (6'1) is nowhere in sight. I was down to 240 in the past and was happy with the results, that's why 240 was my desired weight. It's pretty discouraging. I definitely see a difference between now and then but it looks like I'm going to have to grind a lot more to get down to a weight closer to 210-215ish. Any one else face this issue? Giving up isn't an option for me but I'm not looking forward to the grind like I was before.

@MZC386. At 6"1', if you are looking to get to the upper end of healthy BMI (24.5), then you should be shooting for 186 lbs.

I'm 5"9' (mesomorph build) and shooting for 165 lbs. May end up aiming at 154 lbs depending on how I feel/look at 165. (Was 201 at the start of the year, 179 now).

BMI is only a guide. Depends on your body type as to what a "healthy weight" should be.

Once you near or achieve a goal, you need to spend some time evaluating if it is where you want to be.

If you develop the right habits, slowly adjusting weight (up or down, 1lb per 2 weeks) should be easier than the hard grind you have already been through. The hard bit is developing the right habits in the first place (otherwise in 2 years you are likely to be back where you started).

mostly this. you are still about 60lbs from the top end of the healthy BMI range for a man your height.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I was wondering how quickly you lost the weight? If the rate was too aggressive, you may have lost quite a bit of muscle and not have the same composition as before. Or, as a previous poster mentioned, maybe your standards have changed? At any rate, maybe you would benefit from a shift in your goals (while still monitoring your calories) to more fitness-oriented goals? Wish you the best :)

Well this time around, I started at about 280ish maybe close to 3 months ago. Would that be considered aggressive? I work overnights and rather not eat at work, so I never hit my calories for the day. Believe it or not, I've never set fitness goals before. I guess now is as good a time as any to start. Thanks for the response.

Maybe a little, but the rule of thumb is, a person can safely support the loss of 1% of their body weight/week, so at your starting weight, 3 lbs/week wasn't outrageous. You would probably be better off dialing it back now to 2lbs/week or even 1, especially since your original comment implied you weren't particularly enjoying the process. ;) You need to have a calorie goal & activity level that are sustainable for you for the very reason that you won't find it a *grind* and be tempted to stray or give up altogether. I understand what you're saying about your schedule making it difficult to hit your calorie goal, but as long as your logging is accurate, being under isn't really desirable, especially since you are needing to fuel workouts. It's terrific that you are already lifting weights- your sculpting what's underneath so that when the bulk of the fat is gone, you will like what you see! As another poster said, keep up your protein to support that goal.

You've had tremendous success so far and should celebrate that & enjoy it! Try not to compare to the past and just focus on the best body you can build for yourself now. :)
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not happy with the look of my body. I'm about 10 pounds away from my 3rd goal weight, but I still have tons of body fat. Strength training should help a bit but I'm not sure what else to suggest besides that.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bro, you're heckin cute, don't let this get you down! These are just data points. There's no way to be exactly the same as you were before, but you can be better.

Keep grinding, keep dreaming, keep aiming to get better instead of aiming to get smaller.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 140 because I was ok with that when I was in highschool but once I got there it didn't seem the same and I wasn't happy with it so I revised the goal down to 125 and then revised it again to 115. While it wasn't intential, I think ending up with multiple revised goal weights was actually nice because that just meant I got to celebrate making it to the original goal and was a good chance to re-evaluate what i wanted to do fitness-wise eachtime.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First off, dude... you lost like a whole first-grader's worth of pounds. High five to that. Bask in that for a minute!

Now, I think at 6'1, a goal of 200-215 is more realistic for what I think you're looking for in yourself if you aren't pretty muscular. All the men I know who are 230 -250 are also between 6'3" and 6'6". I speak from being of an exclusively tall family and dating very tall men. Even speaking for myself. I'm 6ft and my goal is 190 - 200 because that was my strong and schmexy weight before... But that was early 20s with no kid and a very active lifestyle. So with my current lifestyle, I might actually have to suck it up and be more like 185 (which looked grossly thin on me before).

It's all about how much muscle you have vs fat. So since you're already close to your goal, if you are not lifting heavy weights, try going that route and I think you'll find satisfaction. (Still, I think in the end you'd be more like 220 than 240 -- but that depends on your natural body type)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. 240lbs at 6'1 is heavily obese with BMI of 35.
    Why is this your goal?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Why is this your goal?

I suspect OP looked at himself in a very positive light when he was younger. Or, perhaps he's not correct that he used to weigh 240 lbs when he looked good. Memories can be tricky things.

OP, it is not reasonable to expect that you will look a healthy weight (if that's the mental picture you're going for) at 240lbs given your height. Don't be hard on yourself, though. These are posts we see frequently. It seems many of us believe we'll be happier at a heavier goal weight than what we're actually happy with in reality.

You've lost a lot, and the rest will come off too if you're persistent. No one likes to be patient, but that's what's needed to get to that mental picture.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why is this your goal?

BMI isn't always a good gauge. Muscular people are typically over the BMI top range, and not because they are unhealthy.

OP, your issue is definitely body fat %. 240 pounds with 25-30% body fat looks a whole lot different than 15% body fat.
    men-women-fat-mass.jpeg

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great work. My body has definitely held different looks at about the same weight. I lost weight initially and was happy I lost it but had no muscle, then I gained and lost again to my smallest (due to taking care of my mother) and I felt scrawny, then I bulked last year and felt thick yet muscular and right now I'm trying to keep the muscle I have and trim down a bit. I love my muscles and proud of the strength I've gained but not happy with my stomach area (I like food lol).

I try to stay positive and remind myself how far I've come and to be happy with myself no matter how I look. I am learning to embrace every stage of my body and journey. Good luck.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was 315ish (years ago) at my heaviest, down to 247 with a goal of 240. How I pictured myself at 240 (6'1) is nowhere in sight. I was down to 240 in the past and was happy with the results, that's why 240 was my desired weight. It's pretty discouraging. I definitely see a difference between now and then but it looks like I'm going to have to grind a lot more to get down to a weight closer to 210-215ish. Any one else face this issue? Giving up isn't an option for me but I'm not looking forward to the grind like I was before.

240 sounds high for your height. I'm 6"2' and a reasonable weight for me is 215-220. I have 25lbs to go to reach 220. The "Charts" say I should be around 180 but that's bullcrap.
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just for some context, I am a 5'5 woman and weighed 202 lbs in April. It was scary for me to realize how much weight I had gained in graduate school so I started my MFP account and got serious about my eating and exercise. Right now my goal weight is 150 lbs -- lighter than I have ever been as an adult. However, the BMI suggests I should be between 135-145 lbs in order to not be overweight. For me, I know I will need to take some time learning the skills to maintain 150 lbs before I can realistically focus on getting to 145 or below. This is a very common theme among us folks who have 50 or more lbs to lose: we start with a modest (and probably still overweight goal), reach it, and realize we have even further to go. Which is awesome! Because when you reach your initial goal you have all the proof you need that you are capable of doing the work of losing weight. Since most people put on the weight that they lose and some extra, I think it's very important for us who have 50+ lbs to lose to spend some time between our first and following goals to figure out how to maintain longterm success. Otherwise, we may just be setting ourselves up for failure. Maintaining a healthy weight is as mental as it is physical. Try to celebrate what you have accomplished rather than focusing on what you perceive as a failure currently (the way you look). Please hang in there and don't give up!
  • MZC386
    MZC386 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why is this your goal?

I`m not trying to be thin. Ive always been a big dude, its when my weight got out of control that it started preventing me from enjoying life as much as i would have liked. My original plan was hit my goal weight and then start strength training exclusively (not much cardio, if any) but I definitely missed the mark with the 240 lb goal.
  • MZC386
    Options
    ultima199 wrote: »
    Add a bit of cardio in too. Keep up the great progress you've been making. Remember you are losing more fat than you think if you are also building muscle. I bet you also have higher standards now than you did in the past. Don't give up!

Giving up is not an option! Lol. Ive been doing cardio about 3 to 4 times a week, running/walking/sprinting for 2 to 3 miles which is a major improvement for me. Thanks for your response :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Why is this your goal?

I`m not trying to be thin. Ive always been a big dude, its when my weight got out of control that it started preventing me from enjoying life as much as i would have liked. My original plan was hit my goal weight and then start strength training exclusively (not much cardio, if any) but I definitely missed the mark with the 240 lb goal.

If you prefer, you could take a maintenance break for a while at 240, and work primarily on strength for a time, returning to weight loss again later to reveal the muscle you added more readily at maintenance calories.

Up to you, though. You're doing great, and you have options about how best (physically & psychologically) to proceed from here. Health and fitness improvement is a long-term - lifelong! - and evolving project. Take heart: You've come so far already!
  • MZC386
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »
    First off, dude... you lost like a whole first-grader's worth of pounds. High five to that. Bask in that for a minute!

Now, I think at 6'1, a goal of 200-215 is more realistic for what I think you're looking for in yourself if you aren't pretty muscular. All the men I know who are 230 -250 are also between 6'3" and 6'6". I speak from being of an exclusively tall family and dating very tall men. Even speaking for myself. I'm 6ft and my goal is 190 - 200 because that was my strong and schmexy weight before... But that was early 20s with no kid and a very active lifestyle. So with my current lifestyle, I might actually have to suck it up and be more like 185 (which looked grossly thin on me before).

It's all about how much muscle you have vs fat. So since you're already close to your goal, if you are not lifting heavy weights, try going that route and I think you'll find satisfaction. (Still, I think in the end you'd be more like 220 than 240 -- but that depends on your natural body type)

Lol, that is a hilarious way of looking at it, high five!! I think 220 is what i`m going to have to shoot for now, let the games begin. Thanks for your reponse :smile:
  • MZC386
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why is this your goal?

If you prefer, you could take a maintenance break for a while at 240, and work primarily on strength for a time, returning to weight loss again later to reveal the muscle you added more readily at maintenance calories.

Up to you, though. You're doing great, and you have options about how best (physically & psychologically) to proceed from here. Health and fitness improvement is a long-term - lifelong! - and evolving project. Take heart: You've come so far already!

Wow, that is a freaking awesome idea. And just to be sure, when you say work on strength, you do mean low rep/high weight, right?