Almost at my goal, not happy with the results.

Options
13»

Replies

• geraldiopal
    geraldiopal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!! I know exactly how you're feeling...I'm 13lbs away from my goal weight after losing 47lbs so far and I look in the mirror and think there is no way...I think I need to change it to 150...When I was 220 lbs, 160 seemed so far away...now its within reach and I still think I look so fat :|
  • MZC386
    MZC386 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kdavid1987 wrote: »
    Just for some context, I am a 5'5 woman and weighed 202 lbs in April. It was scary for me to realize how much weight I had gained in graduate school so I started my MFP account and got serious about my eating and exercise. Right now my goal weight is 150 lbs -- lighter than I have ever been as an adult. However, the BMI suggests I should be between 135-145 lbs in order to not be overweight. For me, I know I will need to take some time learning the skills to maintain 150 lbs before I can realistically focus on getting to 145 or below. This is a very common theme among us folks who have 50 or more lbs to lose: we start with a modest (and probably still overweight goal), reach it, and realize we have even further to go. Which is awesome! Because when you reach your initial goal you have all the proof you need that you are capable of doing the work of losing weight. Since most people put on the weight that they lose and some extra, I think it's very important for us who have 50+ lbs to lose to spend some time between our first and following goals to figure out how to maintain longterm success. Otherwise, we may just be setting ourselves up for failure. Maintaining a healthy weight is as mental as it is physical. Try to celebrate what you have accomplished rather than focusing on what you perceive as a failure currently (the way you look). Please hang in there and don't give up!

Very well said!! Working on maintaining myself at 240 is something I overlooked. Eating at a deficit is easy for me, but eating at maintenance with healthy foods is something i`m going to have to work on because i dont want this to be a temporary thing. Thanks for your response :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    MZC386 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. 240lbs at 6'1 is heavily obese with BMI of 35.
    Why is this your goal?

I`m not trying to be thin. Ive always been a big dude, its when my weight got out of control that it started preventing me from enjoying life as much as i would have liked. My original plan was hit my goal weight and then start strength training exclusively (not much cardio, if any) but I definitely missed the mark with the 240 lb goal.

If you prefer, you could take a maintenance break for a while at 240, and work primarily on strength for a time, returning to weight loss again later to reveal the muscle you added more readily at maintenance calories.

Up to you, though. You're doing great, and you have options about how best (physically & psychologically) to proceed from here. Health and fitness improvement is a long-term - lifelong! - and evolving project. Take heart: You've come so far already!

Wow, that is a freaking awesome idea. And just to be sure, when you say work on strength, you do mean low rep/high weight, right?

I'm not a weight training expert (you could ask me rowing questions all day, though -LOL!). Low rep high weight seems to be what's recommended here, though. For better info, I'd recommend these two forum threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • MZC386
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!! I know exactly how you're feeling...I'm 13lbs away from my goal weight after losing 47lbs so far and I look in the mirror and think there is no way...I think I need to change it to 150...When I was 220 lbs, 160 seemed so far away...now its within reach and I still think I look so fat :|

Awesome job on the weight loss!!! We got this though!! It just really sucks to be soooo close, to then realize you have a lot further to go.
  • MZC386
    Options
    Congrats on the great work. My body has definitely held different looks at about the same weight. I lost weight initially and was happy I lost it but had no muscle, then I gained and lost again to my smallest (due to taking care of my mother) and I felt scrawny, then I bulked last year and felt thick yet muscular and right now I'm trying to keep the muscle I have and trim down a bit. I love my muscles and proud of the strength I've gained but not happy with my stomach area (I like food lol).

I try to stay positive and remind myself how far I've come and to be happy with myself no matter how I look. I am learning to embrace every stage of my body and journey. Good luck.

Thanks! Its been rough up to this point but i just have to keep going. I`m gonna shoot for 220ish and then take after you and muscle up. Thanks for your response :smile:
  • MZC386
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. 240lbs at 6'1 is heavily obese with BMI of 35.
    Why is this your goal?

I`m not trying to be thin. Ive always been a big dude, its when my weight got out of control that it started preventing me from enjoying life as much as i would have liked. My original plan was hit my goal weight and then start strength training exclusively (not much cardio, if any) but I definitely missed the mark with the 240 lb goal.

If you prefer, you could take a maintenance break for a while at 240, and work primarily on strength for a time, returning to weight loss again later to reveal the muscle you added more readily at maintenance calories.

Up to you, though. You're doing great, and you have options about how best (physically & psychologically) to proceed from here. Health and fitness improvement is a long-term - lifelong! - and evolving project. Take heart: You've come so far already!

Wow, that is a freaking awesome idea. And just to be sure, when you say work on strength, you do mean low rep/high weight, right?

I'm not a weight training expert (you could ask me rowing questions all day, though -LOL!). Low rep high weight seems to be what's recommended here, though. For better info, I'd recommend these two forum threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Cool. Thanks a lot!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I was 315ish (years ago) at my heaviest, down to 247 with a goal of 240. How I pictured myself at 240 (6'1) is nowhere in sight. I was down to 240 in the past and was happy with the results, that's why 240 was my desired weight. It's pretty discouraging. I definitely see a difference between now and then but it looks like I'm going to have to grind a lot more to get down to a weight closer to 210-215ish. Any one else face this issue? Giving up isn't an option for me but I'm not looking forward to the grind like I was before.

So true, it's all about results. What changes are you trying to make (besides the scale number)?
    Measure the things you want to see changed...body fat percent, waist measurement, sleep, mood, blood tests, etc.

What you measure will improve, because you become aware of it, and make decisions based on reality.
  • MZC386
    Options
    I was 315ish (years ago) at my heaviest, down to 247 with a goal of 240. How I pictured myself at 240 (6'1) is nowhere in sight. I was down to 240 in the past and was happy with the results, that's why 240 was my desired weight. It's pretty discouraging. I definitely see a difference between now and then but it looks like I'm going to have to grind a lot more to get down to a weight closer to 210-215ish. Any one else face this issue? Giving up isn't an option for me but I'm not looking forward to the grind like I was before.

So true, it's all about results. What changes are you trying to make (besides the scale number)?
    Measure the things you want to see changed...body fat percent, waist measurement, sleep, mood, blood tests, etc.

What you measure will improve, because you become aware of it, and make decisions based on reality.

I haven't really focused on measurements, I was too focused on the number on the scale :neutral:

Im definitely going to take your advice and keep track of some of those along with the scale, thanks for your response :smile:
  • MZC386
    Options
    Bro, you're heckin cute, don't let this get you down! These are just data points. There's no way to be exactly the same as you were before, but you can be better.

Keep grinding, keep dreaming, keep aiming to get better instead of aiming to get smaller.

That was real sweet of you! Thanks :blush:
    And hey, getting better does sound a whole lot better than getting smaller. Thanks for your response :smile: