What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "I'm ordering my wedding dress a couple of sizes smaller to give myself something to aim for".

Just... Look, we all make mistakes. But what is the point of being sapient, social creatures with written and spoken language, if we're not going to communicate and learn from each others' mistakes and resolve to make our own, unique ones? Enough women have spun the "will I get into this dress in time?" wheel and either lost, or 'won' and looked deathly ill on the day.

Can people please stop doing this to themselves? Please?

If you are planning a wedding, look for a design of dress that fits now and could be easily taken in, if necessary. Talk to a seamstress about it. They'll thank you for consulting them before you purchase the damn thing, rather than bringing it in at short notice because it's still too small.

I think we have all been there....I always say I'll lose weight for my bikini and that I'll be my husband's "skinny boat babe".....HA! Who am I kidding LMAO (At least I know I'm being ridiculous)

However, I do agree with you. I was 5 months pregnant when I got married, I had my wedding dress taken out twice for my growing belly, and I can honestly say that I didn't even look pregnant. I had several people ask me where the baby was LoL
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    It drives me nuts when people correct someone for saying "muscle weighs more than fat", nitpicking semantics... we understood what they meant.
    We may understand what they think they meant, but the general public clearly does not.

Watch the shocked look on the average person's face when you show them a specific volume of fat and muscle (such as from beef or pork) and then try to guess which weighs more.

The average person cannot correctly answer me when I ask which would hit the ground first if you dropped a bowling ball, a banana, a golf ball and a baseball off of a second story building.
    That is, not without a Google search first...

Start educating people to use words properly and they might learn something.
    Ignorance of proper diet and exercise requirements are only part of the reason most people are overweight but it is one of the easiest things to correct.

Developing the discipline to do what is necessary for improving one's diet and "fitness" is much harder.

Setting expectations for weight loss, body image, etc. based on facts instead of what they "think" is true and ultimately "want" to be true can go a long way towards preventing early disappointment and disillusionment.

MORE OF THIS^^^^

Its about educating people not correcting them. Most are overweight because they don't have good info. The think they have to live on salads eat clean and suffer to lose weight. That is out of reach for most people.

I don't disagree with the content of this. I disagree with it being attached to my opinion on something as it is assuming I disagree with all of this. I don't. It is, and will forever be - MY OPINION about being annoyed by something I consider to be nitpicking.

And in spirit of this thread, it's not really fair to attack someone for their opinion. I'm glad you have yours, and I have mine. I always do my best to provide accurate information when posting in help threads. See title of thread.

• Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of "weight loss is not linear". I wholeheartedly agree with the concept but there must be different ways of expressing it.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @ all of this. You have all reached hero status in my book.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't disagree with the content of this. I disagree with it being attached to my opinion on something as it is assuming I disagree with all of this. I don't. It is, and will forever be - MY OPINION about being annoyed by something I consider to be nitpicking.

And in spirit of this thread, it's not really fair to attack someone for their opinion. I'm glad you have yours, and I have mine. I always do my best to provide accurate information when posting in help threads. See title of thread.
    I am not sure if there was something in my post that made you feel you were being attacked but there was not any "attack on your opinion" intended.

The only time I "attack" anyone for their opinion is when they behave as if their "opinion" should be given consideration and credibility while it could be demonstrated to be false.
    "Being entitled to your opinion" is a logical fallacy. No one is "entitled" to their opinion.
    That is another statement that does not mean what most people want to think it means.
    This is several years of formal logic and philosophy talking.

But again, it was not my intent to attack your "opinion" here. I was clarifying my stance for why people such as I are particular about saying "muscle weighs more than fat".
    Disagreeing with someone is not an overt attack.
    If you feel that is somehow attacking you or your opinion then we are simply at an impasse and there is no reason to discuss it further.

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Favorites bits include Cake or Death skit and Haaalp, I'm covered in beeeeeeees.

:lol::heart:
    "It's a good thing I'm Church of England!" :D

"And this one is wet, and this one is wet....where did you dry these? In a rain forest?"
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I am not sure if there was something in my post that made you feel you were being attacked but there was not any "attack on your opinion" intended.

The only time I "attack" anyone for their opinion is when they behave as if their "opinion" should be given consideration and credibility while it could be demonstrated to be false.
    "Being entitled to your opinion" is a logical fallacy. No one is "entitled" to their opinion.
    That is another statement that does not mean what most people want to think it means.
    This is several years of formal logic and philosophy talking.

But again, it was not my intent to attack your "opinion" here. I was clarifying my stance for why people such as I are particular about saying "muscle weighs more than fat".
    Disagreeing with someone is not an overt attack.
    If you feel that is somehow attacking you or your opinion then we are simply at an impasse and there is no reason to discuss it further.

All good, attack was a bit of an overstatement, but I felt I was being taken out of context and needed to clarify my stance.

I agree with your statements about being entitled to your opinion. Seems a pass for anyone to be a raging *kitten* for no reason, wrong or right. If I thought everyone who disagreed with me was attacking me, I'd probably be in a padded room by now.

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Favorites bits include Cake or Death skit and Haaalp, I'm covered in beeeeeeees.

:lol::heart:
    "It's a good thing I'm Church of England!" :D

"And this one is wet, and this one is wet....where did you dry these? In a rain forest?"

"Do you want peas with that?"
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Raysie1 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of "weight loss is not linear". I wholeheartedly agree with the concept but there must be different ways of expressing it.

This made me laugh.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When people say its what you eat rather than how much that determines weight loss... Like sure you may feel better eating better quality food but you'll lose weight the same as long as you have the same deficit