OH god .. do not do this...

Replies

• illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    I've found it easier to measure out the protein powder in the bottom of a container and put the yogurt on top of it, makes less of a mess when mixing it up and easier to incorporate it more fully.

May be less convenient if you're using a single serving tub of yogurt but I generally portion from a larger container of homemade yogurt.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ok here is what I do, I take a HALF scoop of chocolate protein powder and add a bit of water, just enough to make it into a smooth paste. Then I take an individual pack of fruity Greek yogurt. Like the fruit on the bottom kind? I mix up the yogurt so that it's fruit throughout. (I say this because I know some people don't mix their fruit yogurt and just leave it on the bottom. Gross, lol).

Then I dump my fruity yogurt into my bowl with the chocolate protein powder paste and mix it together really well.

Now here's where I get CRAZY. I dump in a single serving (45g) of Harvest Crunch cereal.
    Makes for a delicious breakfast.

Good luck telling me how chocolate mixed with dark cherry, strawberry, or raspberry-pomegranate Greek yogurt is going to taste gross.

*i think the main problem is that ppl A) forget to add a tiny bit of water to their protein powder and expect it to just magically dissolve and be smooth in yogurt. And B ) don't like plain Greek yogurt and suddenly expect it to be delicious. Plain yogurt is nasty to me, Greek or regular kind. Use your favorite fruity yogurt, so much more yum and those individual servings are only 100 cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I would never even consider it. Greek yogurt has plenty of protein on it's own.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    i love i. tj's vanilla powder and fage. delicious. everyone has different tastes.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    It definitely takes a lot of stirring, but I like whey and greek yogurt if I'm in a yogurt mood.
    I usually do about 100 grams of yogurt to 20 grams of whey.

If you have too much whey to yogurt I'm sure it would be a disaster though.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well yeah, but some ppl are try to get their protein in where they can so they double up.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    This is the only way I eat yogurt. Plain greek yogurt with a tsp of vanilla protein powder. MMMMM good
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2017
    Well yeah, but some ppl are try to get their protein in where they can so they double up.

Meh...I think it's pretty easy to get quite a bit of protein without dumping protein powder into everything. I supplement sometimes, but I just drink the shake. I think adding protein powder to everything is just kinda weird...and people are weirdly obsessed with all the protein.

I typically get anywhere from 120-140 grams per day and only have to use a supplement occasionally...I just eat protein rich foods.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    I only add about 3g of PP per 6oz yogurt just enough to flavor it nicely. I've never had any problems mixing it in but you definitely need to stir well. Same with PB2, it mixes in nicely just a couple of grams is plenty and its probably my favorite add in of all <3

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm not overly fond of it, but I've never had any issue with the protein not mixing. It must be the brands you are using.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member

Meh...I think it's pretty easy to get quite a bit of protein without dumping protein powder into everything. I supplement sometimes, but I just drink the shake. I think adding protein powder to everything is just kinda weird...and people are weirdly obsessed with all the protein.

I typically get anywhere from 120-140 grams per day and only have to use a supplement occasionally...I just eat protein rich foods.

meh yourself. some of us have dietary restrictions. why do people insist on being dismissive about how others eat?
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2017
    besaro wrote: »

meh yourself. some of us have dietary restrictions. why do people insist on being dismissive about how others eat?

meh...

I was simply stating my opinion that I think it's weird...I'm allowed to have an opinion on an open forum. I just thinking putting protein powder in and on everything like I see people do is kinda weird and a bit over the top. I think the whole protein craze is pretty over the top and largely bro-sciency...yes, it's important, but people take it over the top IMO...so meh.

What dietary restrictions do you have that you can't eat chicken, but you can eat a highly processed protein powder?

If that's your thing then cool...I don't care what you do...I just stated that I wouldn't even consider it. I really don't care what you do.
  • not_a_runner

That's a pretty generalized statement...
    I don't really see how adding protein powder to yogurt makes someone "obsessed with putting it in everything"...

(Paying a lot of money for things like protein "ice cream" and "cookies" that don't even taste very good is more ridiculous IMO. But people can do what they want.)

Some brands of whey taste terrible in a shake, but tolerable in yogurt. Gotta use them up somehow.
    My protein goal is about 190, I also eat lots of protein rich foods. Basically a pound of meat per day. I don't see anything wrong with eating 20 grams of whey (less than 15 grams of protein) with yogurt once a day, or how that makes someone omg-obsessed with protein powder.

(But what do I know, I'm probably in the "weirdly obsessed with protein" camp because I prefer to keep my protein intake on the high side.) :#
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2017

I don't really see how adding protein powder to yogurt makes someone "obsessed with putting it in everything"...

(Paying a lot of money for things like protein "ice cream" and "cookies" that don't even taste very good is more ridiculous IMO. But people can do what they want.)

Some brands of whey taste terrible in a shake, but tolerable in yogurt. Gotta use them up somehow.
    My protein goal is about 190, I also eat lots of protein rich foods. Basically a pound of meat per day. I don't see anything wrong with eating 20 grams of whey (less than 15 grams of protein) with yogurt once a day, or how that makes someone omg-obsessed with protein powder.

(But what do I know, I'm probably in the "weirdly obsessed with protein" camp because I prefer to keep my protein intake on the high side.) :#

After almost 5 years here I've seen tons of post with people dumping protein powder into just about everything...yes, it's a generalized observation...and it makes my chuckle a little bit. Also, not just protein powder...I see a lot of just plain old obsession with "everything has to be protein, protein, protein." More than about 1 gram per Lb of LBM is just a waste...and most people don't even need that much, even if they're training.

And yes, I've commented on this in the "unpopular fitness opinions" thread...
  • not_a_runner
    edited June 2017

After almost 5 years here I've seen tons of post with people dumping protein powder into just about everything...yes, it's a generalized observation...and it makes my chuckle a little bit. Also, not just protein powder...I see a lot of just plain old obsession with "everything has to be protein, protein, protein." More than about 1 gram per Lb of LBM is just a waste...and most people don't even need that much, even if they're training.

What about the people who find protein to be filling and eat it for satiety?
    Some people like fat or carbs, some people actually LIKE protein.

ETA while we're at it, a lot of people probably drink "too much" water as well. *hands in the air emoji*
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2017

What about the people who find protein to be filling and eat it for satiety?
    Some people like fat or carbs, some people actually LIKE protein.

That's cool...just really expensive glucose though. I like protein too...I love meat, fish, and poultry...I'm grilling steaks tonight!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    For breakfast I nuked my porridge and as it was quite thin, I added PB2 powder. Some vigorous mixing got rid of the dry bits. A drop of vanilla Stevia and a couple tablespoons of yogurt (3% fat) and it was very good.

I think 0% Greek yogurt would be less mixable. Some protein powders don't mix as well as others.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member

meh...

I was simply stating my opinion that I think it's weird...I'm allowed to have an opinion on an open forum. I just thinking putting protein powder in and on everything like I see people do is kinda weird and a bit over the top. I think the whole protein craze is pretty over the top and largely bro-sciency...yes, it's important, but people take it over the top IMO...so meh.

What dietary restrictions do you have that you can't eat chicken, but you can eat a highly processed protein powder?

If that's your thing then cool...I don't care what you do...I just stated that I wouldn't even consider it. I really don't care what you do.

I wanted to get mad at your first statement, bc I got all butt hurt (I LIKE protein in my yogurt!) but this reply was so smart-*kitten* that it just made me laugh.

I don't add protein to much, just some PB2 occasionally, mostly because I like the taste. And I LOVE the texture mixed in with Greek yogurt. I don't eat meat, and some days I suck at getting enough protein so it's an easy/lazy fix. Unless it's blended in a smoothie, I think protein shakes are disgusting so I guess we all have our thing...

Otherwise I agree with your general statement about protein. It's definitely overblown. I feel the same about the tons of supplements and pre-workouts, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    slaite1 wrote: »

meh...

I wanted to get mad at your first statement, bc I got all butt hurt (I LIKE protein in my yogurt!) but this reply was so smart-*kitten* that it just made me laugh.

I don't add protein to much, just some PB2 occasionally, mostly because I like the taste. And I LOVE the texture mixed in with Greek yogurt. I don't eat meat, and some days I suck at getting enough protein so it's an easy/lazy fix. Unless it's blended in a smoothie, I think protein shakes are disgusting so I guess we all have our thing...

Otherwise I agree with your general statement about protein. It's definitely overblown. I feel the same about the tons of supplements and pre-workouts, etc.

People do all kinds of things that I find weird...my wife likes sliced dill pickles on peanut butter sandwiches...weird as *kitten* and I'd never even consider it...but she really likes it...weird as *kitten*!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Greek Yogurt + Protein Powder + almond milk + fruit + all natural peanut butter = bliss.