anger issues

Options
124»

Replies

• Goddess0921
    Goddess0921 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with maybe seeking out a therapist. They may be able to help you with some coping mechanisms that work for you. Meditation is a great idea, if it works for you. I, personally, cannot meditate to save my life. I've tried for years in different ways and environments.

I've learned that anger is often rooted in some other emotions, if you can work those out your anger may lessen. If nothing else, find a good friend you can just unload on, who will just listen that you can be honest with. That alone might help a little.

Good luck, I know how overpowering anger can be.
  • VinnyMartin24
    VinnyMartin24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So for awhile now i have had anger issues and I need advice how to keep it under control so if u have advice or ur story and how u keep it under control I would appreciate it if u shared it thx

Hot showers usually calm me down and just listing things in your head your grateful for
  • EmmaCottrellluv
    EmmaCottrellluv Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    So for awhile now i have had anger issues and I need advice how to keep it under control so if u have advice or ur story and how u keep it under control I would appreciate it if u shared it thx

Hot showers usually calm me down and just listing things in your head your grateful for

Thx
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    OP, have you found a therapist yet? Seriously...
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    Hey Emma!

So I carried a lot of anger for a long time in part from depression and from just old family stuff. You can have lots of strategies to deal with anger (punching bag, go for a run, meditate, etc.) and these are all good ideas, but you also need to try to shift your mindset about people as well.

What helped me most was when I realized and really accepted the fact that the only thing I can control is myself. I can't control what others think about me or what they say. I can't control how others treat me, but I can control how I choose to react to it.

I used to allow myself to get really upset over those things - what someone said, what people might assume about me, and whether or not I thought those things were fair. It would make me physically sick. I finally had to tell myself "They're going to do whatever they're going to do," and then I had to just let it go.

And I think Vikinglander is right - find a therapist or counselor - often your work will cover a few visits. If you are constantly angry, then there may be deeper roots than you realize and you need to work that out too.

Sorry for the long post. Hope you feel better soon!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I rarely get angry. If I do, I step back, think about it and walk away.
  • EmmaCottrellluv
    EmmaCottrellluv Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    OP, have you found a therapist yet? Seriously...

No
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I also use this app called Calm. It has a meditation section.

I use an app called: "Kill My Landlord, Kill My Landlord"

It has a parole section.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I wonder what happened to Emma
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thinking before you talk, especially when you're in a mood (angry) so that you don't say something nasty or mean. Focusing on breathing and meditating for just 5 minutes helps a lot.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    One thing i have learned is that not every situation that you COULD respond with anger, needs or SHOULD be responded with anger.

It makes you predictable and easily manipulated by others. Especially sociopaths at work who are trying to make you look bad.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Therapy did NOT help me. What did was changing my friends. I get mad and say quite extreme things. Most people can't hang and shouldn't have to. I'd rather find one or two friends I can be myself around that give as good as they get than edit myself for groups of people. This morning for example I told my friend "Cranberry juice is disgusting!" He said " Well you're ok with sucking **** so clearly we won't always agree with what the other puts in their mouth". Most people would've been highly offended but I died laughing. I like blunt Alpha type personalities and it reduces my anger to be in a place where I belong. Also quick wit, sarcasm and friendly smack talking release tension for some people. I also practice fighting/ self defense and teach kids to hit hard & block which requires getting hit, shoving all sorts of rough play and it helps me imensly.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Throat punches for everyone, is always the best policy to adhere to whether they need it or not...
    BFF: "Hi, how are you tod..." *throat punch*.
    Me: "I'm good. How are you?"
    BFF: *sickly attempt at a thumbs up*

See how well that works...

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Don't do this. It's not cool.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @dc8066 wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to Emma

I saw her on Shark Tank last week I forget what she was pitching.
  • ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I write in a journal. :smile:
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ^^Journal +1.

Just don't let people find said journal that you may have used to de-angrify in....lots of anger problems then...theirs and yours (mmm maybe from experience)
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    two things that have helped me are: #1 be real with myself and #2 take ownership/control over only that which i actually can control.

lots of times, what i'm reacting over is not what i'm *actually* angry over. if i'm dealing with actual issues and not stuffing them down, i very rarely become angry to the point of an emotional outburst. spoiler alert: dealing with actual issues sucks big time.

i've done a lot of work personally too with only picking up my own baggage, so to say. i can't control other people and i think i'm almost to the point that i don't want to LOL. i try to have exceedingly low expectations of other people too; then, if things go well, i'm pleasantly surprised.

good luck to you!