Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I use the macaroni ones to make mac and cheese with laughing cow wedges and some 80 calorie garlic and feta chicken sausages from Bilinskis. Huge bowl of mac for like 300 calories. I eat two bags of shirataki at once lol.

Ooh I am intrigued. Do you just chop and stir in the LC 'til it's melted? Any particular one you like best? I haven't seen the macaroni ones yet but I'll keep an eye open, this sounds great.

Yes I break it in pieces and stir it in with a spoon or spatula. Add hot sauce. If I want it really creamy I use nutritional yeast as well. A dab of half and half helps but I would rather have another wedge of cheese lol.
    sardelsa wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I tried the shirataki noodles tonight. They are not bad. Lots of room left for snacks this evening!
    6sld5q8n923y.jpgm95zo65okc28.png

I've always wondered about shirataki noodles. What's the texture like and is it hard to prepare?

Rinse and dry fry. It's a bit gelatinous

That is what I did. It was the first time having it. I was prepared for this horrible smell and gummy texture. I just didn't find it that bad. The smell did not overpower the kitchen - I had to stick my nose in the bag because I thought I was missing something! The texture was very similar to other asian noodles I have had.

Yeah! Dry frying is key. It doesn't say to do so on the package but moisture is not their friend. After a rinse and a fry they are wonderful.

I use the macaroni ones to make mac and cheese with laughing cow wedges and some 80 calorie garlic and feta chicken sausages from Bilinskis. Huge bowl of mac for like 300 calories. I eat two bags of shirataki at once lol.

Can you add the noodles to soup? I have tried them in a stir fry before but want to add them to my miso

Probably? I think the traditional Japanese ones without tofu would work well.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'd like to try some of that cauliflower rice. And also those chicken sausages, but I've never seen them. There's no Bilinskis here. Our store has their own chicken sausages, but they aren't low cal.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    I'd like to try some of that cauliflower rice. And also those chicken sausages, but I've never seen them. There's no Bilinskis here. Our store has their own chicken sausages, but they aren't low cal.

Bilinksis are good but aren't any lower in calories compared to other chicken sausages.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    The highest calorie condiment I use has 25 calories a serving. I love hot sauce, stubb's anytime sauce (green chili & sweet black pepper), mustard, a garlic/chili asian sauce, flavored balsamic vinegars. I also use a lot of black pepper and chipotle pepper.

I don't use mayo or butter. I find that the sauces and spices I use add enough flavor or moisture that I don't need it.

I am interested in what other people use as well! I am always on the lookout for new sauces to try.

Have you tried the caramel in coffee or on ice cream? That sounds interesting to me.
  • bbell1985
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I use sricaha on any and all steamed or roasted vegetables, Maple Grove Farms poppyseed dressing (2 tbs) on large salads and salsa on pretty much anything.

I also make a can of tuna mixed with a single-serve wholly guacamole 100 cal) to make tuna salad, and hummus to make zucchini sammys on a slice of Ezikiel. Is almond butter a condiment, because I use a crap-ton of that too.

I had sriracha on my steamed veg today too! What is the cal count on the Maple Grove dressing? I think I know that brand. They make a pancake mix I've seen.

I don't really need anything to make tuna salad fortunately I like it as is. No sandwiches for me either. Hummus is great but I tend to not moderate it well, along with any kind of nut butter :(
  • leanitup123
    I think I might start messing with portabello mushrooms too.

Let's talk condiments. I only use hot sauce on salads. I also do my hot dog salad and hamburger salad and use the reduced sugar ketchup because I loooooove ketchup and want a lot. I personally am not offended by Walden Farms so I put the chipotle mayo on (just a little because it does taste a little...odd), but mixed with the hot sauce it makes a creamy dressing. I like the caramel, chocolate, and pancake syrup in my yogurt as well.

There's also a 10 calorie per serving BBQ sauce I love right now and am using in salads. It's called G. Hughes BBQ sauce.

What are your favorites all?

With you on the sugar free ketchup. Not a fan of hot sauce though... Also really into low carb BBQ sauce. I use Ken Davis classic 2 carb. LOVE Braggs liquid aminos and nutrition yeast. Also... MUSTARD.
  • leanitup123

Let's talk condiments. I only use hot sauce on salads. I also do my hot dog salad and hamburger salad and use the reduced sugar ketchup because I loooooove ketchup and want a lot. I personally am not offended by Walden Farms so I put the chipotle mayo on (just a little because it does taste a little...odd), but mixed with the hot sauce it makes a creamy dressing. I like the caramel, chocolate, and pancake syrup in my yogurt as well.

There's also a 10 calorie per serving BBQ sauce I love right now and am using in salads. It's called G. Hughes BBQ sauce.

With you on the sugar free ketchup. Not a fan of hot sauce though... Also really into low carb BBQ sauce. I use Ken Davis classic 2 carb. LOVE Braggs liquid aminos and nutrition yeast. Also... MUSTARD.

ALSO Walden Farms pancake syrup! Love it on grilled chicken.
  • bbell1985

I'll have to look for the Ken Davis. I've never tried the liquid aminos. What's the taste like? I love nooch too.

I have to get on the mustard wagon. I'm not in love with it. I bet if I buy some good quality stuff it might grow on me.

• bbell1985

ALSO Walden Farms pancake syrup! Love it on grilled chicken.

Dude one of my IG people just told me to do that last week! That pancake syrup is surprisingly good. I recently got the My Protein one to compare, and though the taste is good, the consistency is off. It actually messed up my yogurt mixture.