Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Speaking of My Protein; I can't live without their "0" calorie flavor drops. I put them in shakes and yogurt. Sometimes coffee. The toffee is amazing and goes with everything. I like the peanut butter but it's not quite as good...but good for peanut butter shakes if you don't want to add more calories with powdered PB or the real stuff.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I think I might start messing with portabello mushrooms too.

Let's talk condiments. I only use hot sauce on salads. I also do my hot dog salad and hamburger salad and use the reduced sugar ketchup because I loooooove ketchup and want a lot. I personally am not offended by Walden Farms so I put the chipotle mayo on (just a little because it does taste a little...odd), but mixed with the hot sauce it makes a creamy dressing. I like the caramel, chocolate, and pancake syrup in my yogurt as well.

There's also a 10 calorie per serving BBQ sauce I love right now and am using in salads. It's called G. Hughes BBQ sauce.

What are your favorites all?

With you on the sugar free ketchup. Not a fan of hot sauce though... Also really into low carb BBQ sauce. I use Ken Davis classic 2 carb. LOVE Braggs liquid aminos and nutrition yeast. Also... MUSTARD.

I'll have to look for the Ken Davis. I've never tried the liquid aminos. What's the taste like? I love nooch too.

I have to get on the mustard wagon. I'm not in love with it. I bet if I buy some good quality stuff it might grow on me.

Liquid aminos = a nutty, umami flavor like soy sauce. SAH GEWD.

Umami!!! Will buy tomorrow.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member

Let's talk condiments. I only use hot sauce on salads. I also do my hot dog salad and hamburger salad and use the reduced sugar ketchup because I loooooove ketchup and want a lot. I personally am not offended by Walden Farms so I put the chipotle mayo on (just a little because it does taste a little...odd), but mixed with the hot sauce it makes a creamy dressing. I like the caramel, chocolate, and pancake syrup in my yogurt as well.

There's also a 10 calorie per serving BBQ sauce I love right now and am using in salads. It's called G. Hughes BBQ sauce.

With you on the sugar free ketchup. Not a fan of hot sauce though... Also really into low carb BBQ sauce. I use Ken Davis classic 2 carb. LOVE Braggs liquid aminos and nutrition yeast. Also... MUSTARD.

I'll have to look for the Ken Davis. I've never tried the liquid aminos. What's the taste like? I love nooch too.

I have to get on the mustard wagon. I'm not in love with it. I bet if I buy some good quality stuff it might grow on me.

I use braggs liquid aminos on my cauliflower rice. It is like soy sauce. The spray bottle is very convenient!

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Hot sauce or garlic powder and salt on cooked veggies. Goya Salad & Vegetable Seasoning is awesome on spaghetti squash, sauteed cabbage, sauteed mushrooms, or caulirice.
    On salads, I use sweet relish, mustard, and either vinegar or a splash of pickle juice. I like sweet pickles..the combo of the sweet with mustard is awesome!
    I don't really use any other condiments except ketchup..very occasionally.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member

Umami!!! Will buy tomorrow.

Dude you're going to be hooked.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Speaking of My Protein; I can't live without their "0" calorie flavor drops. I put them in shakes and yogurt. Sometimes coffee. The toffee is amazing and goes with everything. I like the peanut butter but it's not quite as good...but good for peanut butter shakes if you don't want to add more calories with powdered PB or the real stuff.

The Chocolate Peanut Butter is amazing. Strawberry is also fantastic
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    I'm thinking about adding beans to my salads, but I don't think beans are really a "volume" food. What do you all think?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I'm thinking about adding beans to my salads, but I don't think beans are really a "volume" food. What do you all think?

I think they are, especially since they are high in protein.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

I use a lot of the following condiments:

Tamari soy sauce
    Siracha
    Chipotle Tobasco
    Grey poupon
    Vinegar (red wine, rice and balsamic)
    Honey
    Maple Syrup

I also have a serious love of mayo. I try to sub Greek yogurt in where I can, especially mixing it with siracha or chipotle Tobasco, but there are some times when I just have to have the real deal.

I like to put avocado and hard boiled eggs on my salads and add citrus or vinegar. I love the way the acid breaks down the avocado and it mixes with the egg yolk and makes a delicious creamy layer of goodness on top of everything.

the other addiction of mine is Penzey's spices. I can spend hours and a small fortune in that store. I love their smoked paprika, hot curry powder and chipotle red pepper. They make everything taste better.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

Not for me. A small amount to add protein/interest maybe but not in volume.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

Lemon juice and a sprinkle of parmesan and pepper makes a big bowl of arugula very tolerable. I also enjoy the Bolthouse dressings, yoghurt based so you get a lot for your cals. Kimchi can be a great seasoning for sautees, and I use tamari and soy sauce and the oft overlooked seasoned rice vinegar. Mustard and rice vinegar makes an amazing sauteed cabbage, I add Hillshire Farm's smoked turkey sausage and onions and you got a big dish of deliciousness. I need to make a mushu again soon, I have hoisin in the fridge.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Yeah, this is how I eat! Lots of veg and starch. My diary is open. Feel free to look. Also, chef aj is really useful. She has tons of free videos on youtube
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    As for condiments... I like Cholula, Olive garden light dressing, Dijon mustard to season salmon, Trappey's peppers in vinegar, Bragg's liquid aminos, different seasoning blends....or some combination. Pico is also really good in salad instead of dressing.
  • bbell1985

When I'm not in a deficit I like them. I do the fat free refried beans.
  • bbell1985
    miratps wrote: »

The Chocolate Peanut Butter is amazing. Strawberry is also fantastic

Yeah I've had the chocolate peanut butter. I've been hesitant to try the strawberry because I tend not to like fruity things. I'll try though.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Hey volume eaters, wanted to share with you one of my favorite lunches that makes a lot of food for very little calories. I usually make this amount and can't eat it all in one sitting so I'll eat most and have the rest for a snack later.

340 calories / 25c / 17f / 27p

1 large cucumber, 1 medium avocado, an ounce of chopped red onion, juice of 1 lemon, 1 can of tuna, chopped cilantro, salt & pepper to taste. The original recipe calls for olive oil but with the avocado mixed in, I never need the olive oil. If you need more protein, just add another can of tuna! So yummy.

I make the same thing but I use chopped celery instead of cucumber... I'll have to try that!
  • bbell1985
    Oy. I was out of Laughing Cow cheese for my hot dog salad so I used egg beaters instead. Needed the protein anyway. Two chicken hot dogs and 6.5 servings of egg whites with BBQ sauce and hot sauce over 1.25 bags of salad mix. Belly full.