What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    KateTii wrote: »
    Not a term/phrase but I get really sad seeing people bust their *kitten* in the gym, working so hard, then they go to the shops and get a "reward" for all their hard work that is 6x their calorie burn.

(Very aware you can fit in treats in calorie counting, but you can pick the ones that really don't realise that they would have been better off staying at home instead of "rewarding" themselves)

That's what I did years ago, lol. That's why when I started MFP I didn't exercise for the first 10 days, I wanted to get the diet part under control first.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited June 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What winds me up is when people insist on interpreting "muscle weighs more than fat" (which is just a shorthand and implies per equal volume) as if the person was saying "a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat," which I don't believe anyone thinks or means.

Sorry, but I must disagree to a point. SOME people may be using it as shorthand implying equal volume, but I don't know why they would say that in the first place. I know plenty of people who actually do believe it as stated. They haven't stopped to really think about weights and measurements, heard that phrase from someone else and therefore think it applies somehow to the dynamics of weight loss in their favor. Last time a friend of mine said it (meaning it quite literally), I gently used the feathers vs. bricks analogy and actually watched the realization dawning on her face. I think it was a "doh" moment and we both had a chuckle over it. :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

What winds me up is when people insist on interpreting "muscle weighs more than fat" (which is just a shorthand and implies per equal volume) as if the person was saying "a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat," which I don't believe anyone thinks or means.

The PROBLEM, almost always, when someone says "oh, don't worry about not losing on 1200 calories, because I understand you started zumba last week and probably built muscle and muscle weighs more than fat" is that (1) you aren't building significant muscle doing zumba while eating 1200 calories (or, like, any), and (2) no matter what you aren't building significant muscle in a week. Focusing on "no, if you added a lb of muscle it weighs the same as a lb of fat" isn't the point, and neither is this idea that if you lost a cubic inch of fat and added a cubic inch of muscle you would weigh more. You aren't adding muscle and there's no reason to assume that you lost and gained the same volume of fat and muscle OR the same weight of fat and muscle, period.

Sigh, now I feel better!

I put the misinterpretation of "muscle weighs more than fat" in the same annoying pile as when people rage against "you can eat whatever you want as lose weight as long as your in a deficit."
    NO ONE is saying eat only twinkies to lose all your weight and you will be strong and healthy and have all the vitamins and nutrients you need. The science for weightloss is CICO. It's just about losing weight not health or nutrition.
    And almost everyone adds the disclaimer, of eat nutrient dense food but work treats into your calories, you don't have to cut out entire foods forever if you don't want to."

I think of these arguments of willful misinterpretation of what is being said and I find it annoying and a bit @$$y to be perfectly honest, because the people arguing it must have some true idea of what is being said, they can't be THAT out of the loop to the true meaning of the shorthand.

Agree on both counts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Not a word/phrase, but I get very annoyed when someone asks for help or asks a question and then ignores every piece of sound advice or answer in favor of the 1 or 2 posts in a thread of 50 that just back up their pre-conceived ideas.

Or the OP never comes back at all and people keep on posting advice for who? or is that whom? ;)

Whom :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I forgot to include that, whenever I see "journey," this is what I picture (seriously):
    8kloizwexz72.jpg

Oh, hilarious, I will too now.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Just think of those photos used to illustrate the point

and actually . . . those photos have started to bother me because i looked it up. muscle isn't THAT much more dense than fat anyway. it's about a 4::5 ratio, if i understand it properly.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,648 Member

THIS!!!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member

The PROBLEM, almost always, when someone says "oh, don't worry about not losing on 1200 calories, because I understand you started zumba last week and probably built muscle and muscle weighs more than fat" is that (1) you aren't building significant muscle doing zumba while eating 1200 calories (or, like, any), and (2) no matter what you aren't building significant muscle in a week. Focusing on "no, if you added a lb of muscle it weighs the same as a lb of fat" isn't the point, and neither is this idea that if you lost a cubic inch of fat and added a cubic inch of muscle you would weigh more. You aren't adding muscle and there's no reason to assume that you lost and gained the same volume of fat and muscle OR the same weight of fat and muscle, period.

Sigh, now I feel better!

I put the misinterpretation of "muscle weighs more than fat" in the same annoying pile as when people rage against "you can eat whatever you want as lose weight as long as your in a deficit."
    NO ONE is saying eat only twinkies to lose all your weight and you will be strong and healthy and have all the vitamins and nutrients you need. The science for weightloss is CICO. It's just about losing weight not health or nutrition.
    And almost everyone adds the disclaimer, of eat nutrient dense food but work treats into your calories, you don't have to cut out entire foods forever if you don't want to."

I think of these arguments of willful misinterpretation of what is being said and I find it annoying and a bit @$$y to be perfectly honest, because the people arguing it must have some true idea of what is being said, they can't be THAT out of the loop to the true meaning of the shorthand.

Someone with the user name $$y is wondering why he's getting a notification that someone mentioned him in this thread.

Ha! It's my workaround for *kitten*. Good thing that person doesn't exist.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    MarissaCVT wrote: »
    This may not fit, but I am really tired of hearing people I work with say "Look at you eating all healthy."

Or, someone saying, "Are you on a diet?" because I'm eating healthy, or don't eat certain things. Ugh.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    MarissaCVT wrote: »
    This may not fit, but I am really tired of hearing people I work with say "Look at you eating all healthy."

Or, someone saying, "Are you on a diet?" because I'm eating healthy, or don't eat certain things. Ugh.

I have to say it makes me sad when someone asks if I'm on a diet because I'm eating something with salad/veggies. EErm... even if I wasn't trying to lose weight, is a salad so unusual?

So true.